PDA

View Full Version : Bad Sox fans at PIT hotel?

comiskey2000
06-29-2006, 08:25 PM
This may have been discussed in the official Sox fans in PIT thread but this is a little different. Farmer was really upset at some specific Sox fans today who he said caused some problems with the players at the team hotel. Anyone is Pittsburgh see this first hand? I have waited in the hotel just to get a glimpse of the players before but never bothered them. I hope these bad seeds dont ruin in for everyone else.

Chips
06-29-2006, 08:31 PM
This may have been discussed in the official Sox fans in PIT thread but this is a little different. Farmer was really upset at some specific Sox fans today who he said caused some problems with the players at the team hotel. Anyone is Pittsburgh see this first hand? I have waited in the hotel just to get a glimpse of the players before but never bothered them. I hope these bad seeds dont ruin in for everyone else.

I have no idea. Mike and I saw DJ and singleton when we getting off the elevator before Wednesday's game. I believe I said "It's DJ."

We saw Kenny Williams in the hotel lobby after the bars last night, he told us to go to bed.

Viva Medias B's
06-29-2006, 08:44 PM
The general rule is that you do not bother players when they are dining or drinking. Unfortunately, some people evidently don't know that. There can be some exceptions where players willingly mingle with fans (i.e., the Atrium Bar at SoxFest). However, they are not to be bothered generally.

Brian26
06-29-2006, 09:13 PM
We saw Kenny Williams in the hotel lobby after the bars last night, he told us to go to bed.

Hahaha. For some reason, that made me laugh out loud.

:KW
"Get to bed, bitches."

Chips
06-29-2006, 09:16 PM
Hahaha. For some reason, that made me laugh out loud.

"Get to bed, bitches."

Mike can give you the exact quote because I was too tanked.

Brian26
06-29-2006, 09:17 PM
The general rule is that you do not bother players when they are dining or drinking. Unfortunately, some people evidently don't know that.

Sounds like you know more than most of us. Willing to share any details? Hopefully it wasn't WSI guys.

Viva Medias B's
06-29-2006, 09:48 PM
Sounds like you know more than most of us. Willing to share any details? Hopefully it wasn't WSI guys.

I was not in Pittsburgh so I do not know if WSIers were involved in this or not. WSIers are among those who have mingled with players at the Atrium Bar, however.

Brian26
06-29-2006, 09:51 PM
I was not in Pittsburgh so I do not know if WSIers were involved in this or not. WSIers are among those who have mingled with players at the Atrium Bar, however.

Hanging out with Joe Borchard at Soxfest is a lot different than bugging guys the night before an 11:30am game in Pittsburgh.

ChiSoxGirl
06-29-2006, 10:58 PM

The exact quote can be found in the Official Pittsburgh thread; I just posted it.

Brian26
06-29-2006, 11:01 PM
The exact quote can be found in the Official Pittsburgh thread; I just posted it.

Post it here.

ChiSoxGirl
06-29-2006, 11:07 PM
The general rule is that you do not bother players when they are dining or drinking. Unfortunately, some people evidently don't know that. There can be some exceptions where players willingly mingle with fans (i.e., the Atrium Bar at SoxFest). However, they are not to be bothered generally.

If you read my post in the Official Pittsburgh thread from late this afternoon, it's for this reason that I didn't ask the players to take pictures with them when I had my awesome encounter on Wednesday afternoon. Even if Ozzie was holding court in that conference room before they all came streaming out of that room, they were on their own time and I would've felt weird and/or stupid if I asked them for a picture. The only time I approached a player was in the lobby or when we saw one another in passing. And when Ozzie, his son, and Joey Cora were having lunch at The Fish Market in the hotel, everyone left them alone.

I don't know who or what Farmer was referring to when he said what he did, but he may have been referring to the people who were sitting outside the Westin on Wednesday afternoon with binders, portfolios, cameras, etc. just waiting for players to emerge. There was a kid who was maybe in his early teens who sat outside for hours upon hours waiting for players and every time one came out, he'd go up to them, asking for an autograph. I was across the street at Tonic with chisoxmike, Chips, and Baby Fisk when we saw Freddy Garcia get into a cab, obviously heading for PNC. There were at least six people shouting "Freddy!" when he was getting into his cab, but with his iPod in his ears, he didn't acknowledge them, and I can definitely understand that- he was pitching in 3 1/2 hours and had a game to prepare for. I even told those people to leave him alone because he was pitching that night.

ChiSoxGirl
06-29-2006, 11:09 PM
Post it here.

KW to ChiSoxGirl, chisoxmike, Chips, monkeypants, & Baby Fisk in the Westin lobby at 1a Wednesday night: "It's late, guys! Y'all need to go to sleep!"

Brian26
06-29-2006, 11:12 PM
I even told those people to leave him alone because he was pitching that night.

If we end up winning the AL Central by one game, they'll have to size you for a ring.

EDIT: Not that teams get rings for division titles.

Brian26
06-29-2006, 11:15 PM
I don't know who or what Farmer was referring to when he said what he did, but he may have been referring to the people who were sitting outside the Westin on Wednesday afternoon with binders, portfolios, cameras, etc. just waiting for players to emerge.

That crap happens everywhere. That's not unusual. Farmer must have been referring to the item Wagman was talking about at the restaurant.

rmusacch
06-29-2006, 11:34 PM

If players are drinking in a bar, they are normal people. If you are not obnoxious about it and just strike up a conversation, what is the harm. If they don't want to be approached, stay at home or in the room.

chisoxmike
06-29-2006, 11:38 PM

We were sitting in the lobby around 1am, KW came down I guess to check the bar if the players were in there. This was Wednesday night/Thursday morning. He was in the bar for a second or two, came out and we all said hi. He waved and said

"It's late guys, go to bed."

As for the "bad fans" I didn't see any of this. I'm sure there were some jagbags at the hotel that bothered some of the players. I guess they were in the hotel bar Wednesday night after the game. When we got there they were all gone but people (Sox fans) were telling us some were in there.

jenn2080
06-29-2006, 11:38 PM
I think it is ridiculous and tacky for people to act like *******s around the players. They are human beings. Show some class. It is a damn shame that they are talking about the tacky fans on TV. What a shame

HomeFish
06-29-2006, 11:56 PM
This is one of Farmer's long-time pet peeves. I remember he once said that he destroys any gifts that fans send to his home address (rather than c/o of White Sox) because "that's my time."

Singleton seemed to imply that Farmer was over-reacting.

soxfanreggie
06-30-2006, 12:00 AM
Farmer can be a bit weird about certain things. I don't think anyone wants to be interrupted all the time for dinner, but if you're at a bar shooting the breeze with the guys, I see nothing wrong with striking up a conversation like you would with anyone else...just try not to make it about baseball, unless they bring it up. Nothing wrong with saying hi though or making small talk.

BeefyD
06-30-2006, 12:23 AM
A player is not going to get mad at you if you say "Hi" or "great game/play" or "thank you for bringing home the trophy. My grandfather would've been so happy". However, there's a time and place. Seeing a player walking down the street, fine. While they're eating, on the cell phone, with their kids, or in the middle of a conversation, no.

Essentially, it comes down to common sense. Its just a shame many Americans lack in that category.

Mercy!
06-30-2006, 12:35 AM
I haven't read the other thread you're referring to here. I heard Farmer during the game speak about a couple of the players getting upset at having their meals interrupted. He specifically spoke of hearing one of them tell a kid to come back later, and Farmer said he came back "like in 15 seconds." When Singleton called him on it, he amended it to something like, "okay, it was 25 seconds."

Farmer also sounded creeped out by an encounter he had with a Sox fan in the elevator. They got on together and before pushing a button, Farmer asked "what floor?" and the fan replied, "your floor."

The attitude expressed here that if you don't like attention then stay in your room is really boorish. You know this isn't happening just once or twice, it's happening constantly now to these players. Can you imagine not being able to go anywhere in peace. It's got to get old real fast.

jongarlandlover
06-30-2006, 01:13 AM
well, i have no idea what was going on in PIT, but when i was in cincy, jim thome walked into the restaurant with his family and no one bothered him. people realized it was him and all, but it's common sense to leave players alone while they're eating. however, people were waiting outside and he did sign autographs after he was all done.

HotelWhiteSox
06-30-2006, 01:32 AM

How does one see Kenny Williams in person and live to tell about it? :?:

StockdaleForVeep
06-30-2006, 04:20 AM
Sigh.....what did burgh do now?

jenmcm76
06-30-2006, 08:17 AM
I happened to catch that part of the broadcast, and Farmer was upset about fans bugging players for photos and autographs WHILE THEY WERE EATING - literally between bites of food. He made the point that the players had been at the ballpark since 1:30 that afternoon and would've been really hungry, but were barely able to eat, let alone enjoy, their dinner.

I agree with previous posters - if players are mingling with fans at a bar, that's one thing, but jeez - let the guys eat in relative peace! They need to keep their strength up to keep hitting those long balls! Making a comment in passing like "good game" or "go get 'em" is one thing, but expecting them to put their dinners on hold is another.

DumpJerry
06-30-2006, 09:38 AM
I'm tired of listening to the radio on road trips and getting the most inane reviews of the hotels from Farmio and Singleton. We need a new crew in the booth!

jenn2080
06-30-2006, 09:42 AM
I'm tired of listening to the radio on road trips and getting the most inane reviews of the hotels from Farmio and Singleton. We need a new crew in the booth!

Sign me up for that job ;-) Im tired of them talking about their baseball careers. :D:

Chips
06-30-2006, 09:46 AM
Sign me up for that job ;-) Im tired of them talking about their baseball careers. :D:

I'm with you guys, I'm just tired of them talking in general.

DumpJerry
06-30-2006, 09:49 AM
From your lips to God's ear. The other day I heard all about how they cut down 4,200 trees at some golf course in Pitt. I heard all about it 5 or 6 times. By the way, that is four thousand two hundred trees, not four hundred twenty trees. It really improved the view from the golf course.

Did I mention that a golf course in Pitt cut down 4,200 trees?

I know there was a White Sox game going on while I was hearing about the 4,200 trees, but heck, the Sox play 162 times a year-how often do I get to hear about 4,200 trees being cut down at the golf course in Pitt?

jdm2662
06-30-2006, 09:57 AM
Count me on the radio broadcast, but this has been rehashed so many times. I no longer take breaks/lunches to listen to the broadcast at work. Gamecast is much better...

As for the topic in hand, I have to agree with the masses. Leave the players alone when warranted. If you see them in the lobby, it's ok to say good luck, or nice play, etc. If they talk to you, it's a bounus. Otherwise, let them go about their business.

WSox8404
06-30-2006, 10:16 AM
We were sitting in the lobby around 1am, KW came down I guess to check the bar if the players were in there. This was Wednesday night/Thursday morning. He was in the bar for a second or two, came out and we all said hi. He waved and said

"It's late guys, go to bed."

As for the "bad fans" I didn't see any of this. I'm sure there were some jagbags at the hotel that bothered some of the players. I guess they were in the hotel bar Wednesday night after the game. When we got there they were all gone but people (Sox fans) were telling us some were in there.

Why do I find it funny that Kenny goes looking for players at one in the morning at the bar? That would be a hilarious sight to see if he found one or two still there.

BainesHOF
06-30-2006, 10:39 AM
It would be even funnier if the player he found at the bar was Anderson.

LongLiveFisk
06-30-2006, 10:53 AM
If players are drinking in a bar, they are normal people. If you are not obnoxious about it and just strike up a conversation, what is the harm. If they don't want to be approached, stay at home or in the room.

Funny you should mention this because I just heard an interview on AM1000 a couple of days ago with Brett Favre and he pretty much said the same thing. He said athletes have to expect to a certain degree that they will be approached in public by people who recognize them. He said that on days when he just doesn't feel like dealing with it, he'll just stay home and he said he doesn't mind doing that either.

Of course the operative phrase here is "to a certain degree", and what that means apparently differs from person to person. No one, though, should argue the fact that it is rude to shove something to get signed under their faces when they are out having dinner. There's a time and place for everything, and if you have some common sense you should be able to discern when it's ok and when it's not.

DaleJRFan
06-30-2006, 12:08 PM
KW to ChiSoxGirl, chisoxmike, Chips, monkeypants, & Baby Fisk in the Westin lobby at 1a Wednesday night: "It's late, guys! Y'all need to go to sleep before I roundhouse kick you in the face!"

Fixed it for you...