PDA

View Full Version : SI Section: Need some help on this one

stl_sox_fan
06-29-2006, 07:15 PM
Perusing through this week's issue of SI. In the 2006 Midseason Report section(pg. 52) they have AJ listed as a Sell(Fantasy Baseball).
The reason is as follows:

..Here's why his .321 BA is a mirage: He's hitting .353 on balls in play, far above his mark of .301 entering this season.

I'm totally lost with this statement.
Are they saying he strikes out a lot? He has 31 K's in 67 games. Or is this some obscure fantasy baseball stat?

SoxEd
06-29-2006, 07:22 PM
SI's writers:
a) never heard the phrase 'Your Mileage May Vary', and so regard a jump in his hitting stats over previous years' performance as evidence that it can't last, and so have pulled this obscurantist nonsense out of their butt so that they can cite a fifty-point leap in a hitting stat, which MUST validate their argument, surely;

b) being JUST propellerheads, are not allowing for the fact that the guys batting around AJ are better now, and so he may just be seeing some better pitches to hit this year.

Then again, what do I know about it?
I've never even set foot in the USA, let alone studied Baseball my entire life.

stl_sox_fan
06-29-2006, 07:24 PM
SI's writers:
a) never heard the phrase 'Your Mileage May Vary', and so regard a jump in his hitting stats over previous years' performance as evidence that it can't last, and so have pulled this obscurantist nonsense out of their butt so that they can cite a fifty-point leap in a hitting stat, which MUST validate their argument, surely;

b) being JUST propellerheads, are not allowing for the fact that the guys batting around AJ are better now, and so he may just be seeing some better pitches to hit this year.

Then again, what do I know about it?
I've never even set foot in the USA, let alone studied Baseball my entire life.

:D:

maurice
06-29-2006, 07:53 PM
This would not be the first time that AJ hit over .300. He batted .312 as recently as 2003 and has a .289 career AVE. The real abberation was last season's .257 AVE, the lowest in AJ's MLB career. In addition to what Ed said, it appears that AJ has stopped trying to hit the ball out of the ballpark with predictable results.

Nelson Foxtrot
06-29-2006, 08:18 PM
..Here's why his .321 BA is a mirage: He's hitting .353 on balls in play, far above his mark of .301 entering this season.

This is super misleading. Some quick calculator work with the stats reveals that the .301 occured last season, where his overall batting average was 30 points below his career average. I come up with .324 on balls in play for his career, and that would also be higher if it weren't for last year's slip. It's a pretty pointless stat too since your batting average on strikeouts is always going to be .000. Tony Gwynn hit .355 under this stat, and Jose Canseco .367. I think we all know who the better hitter was.

SweetnesSox
06-29-2006, 08:19 PM

I'm totally lost with this statement.
Are they saying he strikes out a lot? He has 31 K's in 67 games. Or is this some obscure fantasy baseball stat?

I did the same thing you probably did. Read it, stopped, read it again, looked up with a :?: , looked back down and read it three more times... still :?: . no idea man. isn't a "ball in play" anything hit fair? maybe even anything hit inside the park? how can he hit them if they're already in play??

slobes
06-29-2006, 08:22 PM
I did the same thing you probably did. Read it, stopped, read it again, looked up with a :?: , looked back down and read it three more times... still :?: . no idea man. isn't a "ball in play" anything hit fair? maybe even anything hit inside the park? how can he hit them if they're already in play??

I'm pretty sure by his average on balls in play they mean that if you were to take away his strikeouts, he would be batting .353

stl_sox_fan
06-29-2006, 09:17 PM
So the consensus on this one is

http://steelturman.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/***_1.JPG

EastCoastSoxFan
06-30-2006, 11:43 AM
The reason AJ's average is up is that he isn't swinging for the fence as much as he did last season. He's almost taken a Carl Everett-like approach of just trying to slap a hit when he gets two strikes on him, whereas last season he pretty much took his full swing at all times.
Another case of stat-heads who don't watch enough games to know what's actually going on...