PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL * Pirates Win The World Series game thread

downstairs
06-29-2006, 02:48 PM
Wow... celebrate like you've been there before.

Oh, wait....

walrus
06-29-2006, 02:48 PM
welcome back, cliff! :angry:

JUribe1989
06-29-2006, 02:49 PM
The Pirates deserve to celebrate. They made us look like a **** team out there today.

Mickster
06-29-2006, 02:50 PM

Oh, wait....

They celebrated like they won with a walk-off home run and ending a 13 game losing streak. What was wrong with their celebration? :?:

patbooyah
let me be the first to welcome cliff back!

Uncle_Patrick
Well, the Pirates had to win eventually. The Sox did not look too good out there today.

DaleJRFan
06-29-2006, 02:51 PM
I guess the good news out of this is that Cliff threw a scoreless inning, Jose didn't lose his unbeaten streak and the Tigers didnt play today, so its only a 1/2 game...

blah. :angry:

CaptainBallz
Horrible. JC and the Dream... who are these people?

ShoelessJoeS
Piss poor clutch hitting by the sox today not named Jim Thome

Jose didn't have it, neither did Ozzie

Cliff Politte needs to find another day job

Dice
DAMN YOU Politte!

0o0o0
Did Freddy Sanchez make and out the entire series?

Oh yeah, welcome back Cliff.

SoxFan78
Well that sucked. 2 1/2 back.

Thats what happens when you have 11 LOB.

Hopefully the Pirates can win 3 more against the Tigers this weekend.

downstairs
The Pirates deserve to celebrate. They made us look like a **** team out there today.

Of course... I just thought it was funny... I'd imagine any team would after 13 games of losing.

We looked ROTTEN today.

Tokes
man, what a sudden dissapointment

Blueprint1
We should have won this game.

HotelWhiteSox
This just in, Cliff Politte still ****ing blows

buehrle4cy05
Montero >>>>>>>> Politte. Can Cliff go back on the DL?

tstrike2000
It was a nice comeback by the Sox to tie it up on that bomb by Thome despite an off day for Contreras. It sure would be nice if Politte could develop a breaking pitch.

white sox bill
All of a sudden, Montero's name sounds pretty good.

cleanwsox
06-29-2006, 02:52 PM

Oh, wait....

Just in time to start another streak against the Tigers. Good job by Thome, but Crede, Widger, and Jose blew this one for us... lets go beat the flubs now.

shaunburnette
Politte got hammered the inning before on the outs he made as well. Got behind the hitters and did not look any different than he has all year.

*dark clouds*

Get rid of the trash...

spiffie
It's good to see Cliff back out there. Sure he had a bad ball today, but I'm sure he'll get back on the horse. After all, he has a World Series ring and Ozzie Guillen believes in him, and I learned from the thread about Sunday night's game that Ozzie Guillen is never ever wrong.

DaleJRFan
06-29-2006, 02:53 PM
why the hell did Ozzie leave Jose in there to hit in the sixth? WHY? :angry:

LongLiveFisk
Well, the Pirates had to win eventually. The Sox did not look too good out there today.

I was hoping they'd save their win for Detroit. I didn't see the game; I listened to it on the radio and it sounds like Contreras wasn't "on" today. He was a bit shaky his last start too.

Well, all you can do is take it out on the Cubs this weekend! :angry:

ChiSoxRowand
I don't know how Ozzie could let Jose hit with the tying run on second when he was pitching like crap. As for leaving Politte in, Riske and Cotts had already been used and the bullpen has been taxed lately, so we needed somebody to eat up innings.

itsnotrequired
I wonder if Chips will have any negative cooments about Politte?

Tokes
I MISS DUSTIN :whiner:

Vince
06-29-2006, 02:54 PM
I miss Montero. He had a name that sounded like a car.

"The Chevy Montero. Comes comfortably equipped at $19,995."

Frater Perdurabo
06-29-2006, 02:54 PM
All of a sudden, Montero's name sounds pretty good.

Yep. Is it too late to get Montero a plane ticket back to Chicago, and Politte a bus ticket to, oh, I don't know, Mongolia?

:angry:

Bleed_Black
06-29-2006, 03:01 PM
why the hell did Ozzie leave Jose in there to hit in the sixth? WHY? :angry:

That's the big question. Ozzie was asleep at the wheel there.

Dick Allen
06-29-2006, 03:02 PM
The last two losses have been largely due to Ozzie leaving the starting pitcher in way too long when it was clear they had nothing from the get-go. If he wanted to save his bullpen, fine. But I hate losing winnable games like this.

MsSoxVixen22
06-29-2006, 03:02 PM
Well that just sucked! Here I thought we were gonna pull off a win. Gee thanks Cliff! :angry:

QCIASOXFAN
06-29-2006, 03:04 PM
I have little to no faith in Cliff anymore.

TheOldRoman
06-29-2006, 03:09 PM
Hopefully the Pirates can win 3 more against the Tigers this weekend.
Are you ****ing kidding? They just won a game, they wont win another for a week or so.:angry:

This was a horrible game. Jose was garbage today, the hitters fell asleep after the second inning, and Politte got hit hard even in the scoreless 8th. This should convince Kenny that Cliffe is done. It looks like the Sox have a hangover from the demoralizing comeback loss on Sunday night. They played like garbage all three games against the worst team in baseball, and they were lucky to escape with 2 wins. The only question in my mind now is if the Sox will be 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 games back come Monday. If they play like they did this series, it will be the latter. Ozzie needs to smash some things in the locker room.

MrX
06-29-2006, 03:11 PM
Nice game Oz

The decision to leave Contreras in was a disaster. Not only do you give up the out with him batting, but that was his runner that gave them the 6th run:angry:

Did Montero's plane leave yet?

CaptainBallz
06-29-2006, 03:11 PM
Ozzie needs to smash some things in the locker room.

Yeah, like his NL pinch hit strategy guide.

1951Campbell
06-29-2006, 03:16 PM
I have no faith in Cliff anymore. I can only assume that many here feel the same way.

That being said, who can make a case for Cliff? Anyone wanna try?

Jose.Contreras
06-29-2006, 03:18 PM
Well at least we got that out of the way this quickly. The sooner Ozzie learns never to use Politte in a game that we're winning or losing by less than 7 runs, the better.

Ozzie brings Politte and his fat, fat, FAT earned run average directly into a tie game and he gives up a walk-off HR to the lowly Pirates. Lesson learned. Move on. We won't be seeing him anytime soon in a meaningful situation. :D:

Can we get rid of him and bring Montero back? We can at least use Montero in games that are within 5 runs either way :)

Let's sweep the Cubs in Wrigley. Get fired up. Bye bye Cliffy.

BeviBall!
06-29-2006, 03:19 PM
That was pretty bad baseball we saw this series and we still won 2 of 3. Eh.

spiffie
06-29-2006, 03:20 PM
I have no faith in Cliff anymore. I can only assume that many here feel the same way.

Here's the case. The guy with the World Series ring on his finger believes in him. You shouldn't need any more information than that.

kravdog
06-29-2006, 03:20 PM
this is cliff
http://www.eve-files.com/media/08/fired.JPG

Jerko
06-29-2006, 03:21 PM
Well, AGAIN they lose their last game before a Cubs series to a **** team (Tampa, Pittsburgh), and of their THREE interleague losses, they all have been in the last game of the series. What does this mean??????? Nothing, but I'm upset about the loss and had to type something. 3 more game of this garbage and then we can get back to the regularly scheduled season.... Great, the Barrett circus garbage tomorrow and Zambozo Sunday. Monday can't get here fast enough.

DaleJRFan
Cliff Politte for Craig Wilson

Dan Mega
Yeah, because Cliff gave up the other 6 ER. He also singlehandedly left 22 men on base. He needs to go.

While we're at it, lets blame him for Anderson's horrible average, Uribe's swinging at everything in the dirt, and overpaid Garland's soaring ERA for a starter.

Ol' No. 2
06-29-2006, 03:22 PM
That was pretty bad baseball we saw this series and we still won 2 of 3. Eh.Against the worst team in baseball. Against a decent team they would have been swept.

Huisj

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4561&d=1151612314
"Do I look like a Chevy?"

:tongue:

batmanZoSo
On the plus side, I knocked over the SunSphere.

DaleJRFan
06-29-2006, 03:23 PM
Yeah, because Cliff gave up the other 6 ER. He also singlehandedly left 22 men on base. He needs to go.

While we're at it, lets blame him for Anderson's horrible average, Uribe's swinging at everything in the dirt, and overpaid Garland's soaring ERA for a starter.

lotflmao!! :roflmao:

MrX
At this point the only way Cliff and good news go together is if the words sent to, moved to, or designated for are also attached.

Sargeant79

It won't be me. I think this may be another nail in his coffin. As a guy whose mental health probably has more to do with his success or failure than his physical health, that home run isn't going to do his confidence any favors. I think the Cliff of 2005 is unfortunately a distant memory. He deserves one or two more outings to see if he can turn it around at all, but KW is probably starting to work the phones a little harder as I type this.

Dan Mega

22 men left on base, 6 earned runs from Contreras.

1 bad pitch from Cliff.

Need anything else?

SOXandILLINI
06-29-2006, 03:24 PM
r u actually sticking up for cliffy? c'mon, he has absolutely stunk.

cleanwsox
06-29-2006, 03:24 PM
Sanchez has been on fire, nobody on our staff was getting him out anyways. It was good to see him get a scoreless inning though. I wouldn't count him out just yet.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-29-2006, 03:25 PM

Tickets to the game $28
Round trip flight on Southwest Airlines $99
Beer Tab for the 2 day trip $1,850

Getting to see Politte blow a game in his first game back - priceless.

Mastercard - because credit cards are evil.

Nice to see the Sox battle back again. Don't know if Cliff is ready for two innings yet - may not be ready period but he'll need a few more outings to let Ozzie and Cooper know one way or the other.

They play their final NL team this weekend - time to close out interleague on a high note until October.

Blueprint1
06-29-2006, 03:26 PM
Here's the case. The guy with the World Series ring on his finger believes in him. You shouldn't need any more information than that.

There are alot of players with World Series rings that stop getting the job done.

batmanZoSo
06-29-2006, 03:27 PM
The good news is tomorrow's another day and it happens to everyone. Yawn, moving on.

Soxfanspcu11
Umm....Cliff sucks hard this year. His ball is not moving at all, he has no velocity. Did his fastball even go past 90 at all today?? I didn't see it if it did.

Hopefully we won't have to see him anymore, he is the broken link in the pen and he needs to be dealt with.

cbrownson13

Overpaid by what standards?

MadetoOrta
MLB.com reports 23 left on base for the Sox. Enough said. Get home and beat up the flubs.

MERPER
06-29-2006, 03:28 PM
JUST BRUTAL! This is one game we will look back on in September as we are in a race for the wild card and say, yeah that's a point where the division was lost...

In a race against the best team in baseball YOU CANNOT lost to the Pittsburgh Pirates, even the Royals swept them... and I will bet whomever wants to put money on it that the Tigers sweep the Pirates as well...

When we lose 2 of 3 to the Flubs this weekend and the Tigers sweep we'll be 4.5 back....

cleanwsox
06-29-2006, 03:30 PM
JUST BRUTAL! This is one game we will look back on in September as we are in a race for the wild card and say, yeah that's a point where the division was lost...

In a race against the best team in baseball YOU CANNOT lost to the Pittsburgh Pirates, even the Royals swept them... and I will bet whomever wants to put money on it that the Tigers sweep the Pirates as well...

When we lose 2 of 3 to the Flubs this weekend and the Tigers sweep we'll be 4.5 back....

:rolleyes: Shoo away Dark clouds.... shoo

Green
06-29-2006, 03:32 PM
What people are forgetting is that we scored 6 runs. That should definitely be enough, especially with Contreras going.

Garcia era: 4.65
Garland era: 5.76
Vazquez era: 5.00
60% of our starting rotation giving up around 5 runs/9 innings, it's just really sad

DaleJRFan
06-29-2006, 03:36 PM
Overpaid by what standards?

$9,600,000 = 5.76 ERA??

If it weren't for the offense, he'd be 1-8 and not 6-3.

TheOldRoman
06-29-2006, 03:37 PM

:chickenlittle:darkcloud:

Maybe you haven't realized this, but the White Sox are not in a race with themselves. The White Sox are the best team in baseball. If you don't think so, you need your head checked. And we will lose 2 of 3 to the Cubs? Get a ****ing clue.

samram
06-29-2006, 03:37 PM
22 men left on base, 6 earned runs from Contreras.

1 bad pitch from Cliff.

Need anything else?

First of all, the Sox left 11, not 22. The 22 is LOB by individual players.

Second, that 1 bad pitch kind of cost them the game. He's bad.

joebro25
06-29-2006, 03:39 PM
Ugh! Cliff Politte was brutal.Bring back Agustin. We left too many baserunners on and Widger definately didn't help us out today. We played poorly against the worst of the NL. 2 outta 3 ain't bad, but we really coulda used that .5 game to gain against the unbeatable tigers today.

thepaulbowski
06-29-2006, 03:40 PM
First of all, the Sox left 11, not 22. The 22 is LOB by individual players.

Second, that 1 bad pitch kind of cost them the game. He's bad.

No, 11 runners left on base cost them the game. It should have come down to one pitch if the hitters had done their job. It's only one game, just get back on the horse tomorrow.

Jerko
06-29-2006, 03:43 PM
MLB.com reports 23 left on base for the Sox. Enough said. Get home and beat up the flubs.
23 LOB? No way. Individually maybe, but not as a team. Sox "only" had 17 runners and scored 6 runs.

EDIT: samram beat me to it.

SCarolina_Ron
06-29-2006, 03:44 PM

FWIW (nuthin') there actually is (or was) a Mercury Montero

bigsqwert
06-29-2006, 03:45 PM
It sure would be nice if Politte could develop a breaking pitch.

Develop??? He deserves no more chances.

Xx i am error xX
06-29-2006, 03:46 PM
Come on guys... It'll be alright. The Pirates are a team that will always put up a fight, and we took 2 out of 3 from them. We can't realistically expect to sweep every series. If Detroit wasn't winning at an unbelievably ridiculous rate, this would be just another game. They won't keep it up, and we will continue to play solid baseball. Everything will be alright.

Chisox003
06-29-2006, 03:46 PM

:rolling:

It's June 29th!!! Step off the ledge!!

Or jump, either way, it's still June 29th!!!

itsnotrequired
06-29-2006, 03:47 PM
23 LOB? No way. Individually maybe, but not as a team. Sox "only" had 17 runners and scored 6 runs.

Could you imagine 23 LOB in a game as a team? If it was a nine inning game, half the innings would end with two men on and the other half would end with the bases loaded.

:o:

I wonder what the record is for LOB as a team in a nine inning game? Anyone?

kittle42
06-29-2006, 03:47 PM
Come on guys... It'll be alright. The Pirates are a team that will always put up a fight, and we took 2 out of 3 from them. We can't realistically expect to sweep every series. If Detroit wasn't winning at an unbelievably ridiculous rate, this would be just another game. They won't keep it up, and we will continue to play solid baseball. Everything will be alright.

Error, are you from the Town of Ruto?

SCarolina_Ron
06-29-2006, 03:50 PM

I'm with you. Nobody likes to see an ugly loss but it isn't the end of the friggin' world!

spiffie
06-29-2006, 03:51 PM
There are alot of players with World Series rings that stop getting the job done.
That's not the point though. The point is Ozzie, the man who managed them to a World Series believes in him. Who the hell is anyone on this board to argue with anything Ozzie thinks? Unless someone here has done that, obviously we are in no position to question this decision.

LauraJ14
06-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Well, AGAIN they lose their last game before a Cubs series to a **** team (Tampa, Pittsburgh), and of their THREE interleague losses, they all have been in the last game of the series. What does this mean??????? Nothing, but I'm upset about the loss and had to type something. 3 more game of this garbage and then we can get back to the regularly scheduled season.... Great, the Barrett circus garbage tomorrow and Zambozo Sunday. Monday can't get here fast enough.

It means that Ozzie used all the bench guys in the same game.
I blame it on Widger, it seems like every game he catchs the Sox lose.
Not sure if stats back me up but it sounds like a good person to blame.

robiwho
06-29-2006, 03:56 PM

I've already gotten the text messages. I'm sure you can imagine the content. :D:

Cat Thief
06-29-2006, 03:57 PM

What a ****ing joke.

PM about your proposed wager. I'm very interested.

SCarolina_Ron
06-29-2006, 04:01 PM
It means that Ozzie used all the bench guys in the same game.
I blame it on Widger, it seems like every game he catchs the Sox lose.
Not sure if stats back me up but it sounds like a good person to blame.

Maybe this is a foreign concept here, but how 'bout we give some credit to Pittsburgh instead of blaming Widger, Ozzie etc. I know they had a bad streak but I think at the malor League level on any given day anything can happen. Duke pitched well and they were able to hit JC & the pen. You gotta take the series as a whole and we won that.

INSox56
06-29-2006, 04:03 PM
The comments about the Tigers sweeping and us losing games to the scrubs....I've actually thought and debated about this. I don't know how many of you went to college, but no matter how bad a team was, they always played up to competition in a rivalry. I went to Purdue and I don't care how bad IU was every year, I was never comfortable playing them.

Same with the scrubs...they can be as bad as they look against other teams, but I'm a little apprehensive about this weekend. Now, that being said, I don't like interleague BS because, well, we have the scrubs who'll play well against us because of the importance of the game to them and their fans. How fair is it that the Tigers have really no one who'll play as hard as the scrubs will against us because they don't have their "hated rival" in the NL?

Oh well, nothing my opinions and bitching will do about it, I just don't agree with it. Makes interleague harder on us than the rival-less teams in our division.

oeo
06-29-2006, 04:08 PM
Wow, already a lot of replies. I don't feel like reading through it.

I just wanted to say that this whole series frustrated me. Even if they won the first two, they just don't seem like they play hard against these teams. They don't have that same fire and intensity. And I had a really bad feeling if they didn't take the lead in the 9th, then they were going to lose. Welcome back Clifford.

Huisj
06-29-2006, 04:09 PM
FWIW (nuthin') there actually is (or was) a Mercury Montero
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4561&d=1151612314
"Do I look like a Chevy? (or a Mercury?)"

:tongue:

I think the mercury you're thinking of is the montego, their version of the Ford 500.

Law11
06-29-2006, 04:12 PM

Geez talk about someone I would'nt want in a fox hole with me...
"We're gonna die, there's no hope for any of us"...

I know youre a bit upset but get a grip.
WE HAVE 51 wins... AT worst we are 7 up in the WC right now.

My bet is we lose another game this year..

SCarolina_Ron
06-29-2006, 04:13 PM
I think the mercury you're thinking of is the montego, their version of the Ford 500.

You're right, it was Montego. Actually there is a Mitsubishi Montero.

MrRoboto83
06-29-2006, 04:15 PM
I'll take 2 out of 3 on the road anytime.

DumpJerry
06-29-2006, 04:16 PM
I'm done with Widger. I always have an anxiety attack when I see his name in the lineup.

russ99
06-29-2006, 04:17 PM
I'm not going to make any excuses for Pollite (he really needs to go) but his earned run was just the final straw in a badly played game all around.

If Thome didn't hit that homer, we'd be talking about what a crappy game the Sox played. This effort stinks like a "Oh, it's only Pittsburgh, what time does the plane leave?" kind of game.

I was hoping the rain delay would have gotten them going, but other than Thome, it was the same story.

whitesoxfan
Let's kick the crap out of the Cubs and hope the Pirates play the Tiggers as tough as they played us.

nebraskasox
I know Ozzie is the world series champion manager who pushed all the right buttons but it sure seems like tempting fate by putting Cliff out there for a second inning when he just got off the DL. And not pinch hitting for Contreras with RISP, when it was obvious Jose wasn't on his game, seems like tempting fate too. Must have been trying to save the bullpen since there are no off days until the ASB. Hawk always said that Ozzie is not afraid to lose a game. This seems like one of those games where Ozzie was willing to increase the risk of losing.

Also, the HR pitch by Cliff looked down & in on the replay. It didn't look like a cookie. It looked like the hitter just went down & got it for a nice piece of hitting. Maybe it was straignt with no movement. Anyone get a good look at the pitch?

DickAllen72
3 more game of this garbage and then we can get back to the regularly scheduled season.... Great, the Barrett circus garbage tomorrow and Zambozo Sunday. Monday can't get here fast enough.
As if that's not bad enough, it's Vazquez on Saturday. :o:

The Sox better be careful this weekend. The Cubs will do anything to win, even if it means throwing sucker punches or beanballs.:angry: A team that sleepwalked it's way through the Detroit and Minnesota series will be playing like it's the World Series the next three days. :mad: Hell, this is as close as they'll ever get!:cool:

I hate this interleague garbage anyway. All it's doing is ticking off games from the schedule for The Tigers, Sox & Twins.

russ99
06-29-2006, 04:20 PM

The Sox better be careful this weekend. The Cubs will do anything to win, even if it means throwing sucker punches or beanballs.:angry: A team that sleepwalked it's way through the Detroit and Minnesota series will be playing like it's the World Series the next three days. :mad: Hell, this is as close as they'll ever get!:cool:

I hate this interleague garbage anyway. All it's doing is ticking off games from the schedule for The Tigers, Sox & Twins.

Speaking of beanballs, Zambozo is seriously due on Sunday! And ya know the nutcase would charge the mound too. Who's our biggest, toughest pitcher? :tongue:

I'm hoping for a serious Cub smackdown tomorrow, while I'm in attendance with 3 of my sout-side, Sox fan friends.

SCarolina_Ron
06-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Speaking of beanballs, Zambozo is seriously due on Sunday! And ya know the nutcase would charge the mound too. Who's our biggest, toughest pitcher? :tongue:

I'm hoping for a serious Cub smackdown tomorrow, while I'm in attendance with 3 of my sout-side, Sox fan friends.

Gee, could we bring Sean Tracey up for that?

Chisox1500
06-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Cliff lost the game -- bottom line. Blame the rest of the team all you want. He had a chance with the game on the line and failed yet again. I've had enough of his broken record performances. I turned the game off when he came in because it was a foregone conclusion.

He provides less then Gload -- he is actually hurting the team with his presence. His initials should be (BS).

thomas35forever
06-29-2006, 04:24 PM
Well, that sucked. This was not the game to lose. We should be 1 1/2 games out of first now. Let's sweep the losers from the North Side this weekend. Also, should we be concerned about Contreras?

vernhillssoxfan
We beat Detroit 5 time out of 6 this year.

Yeah we should have won.

Team may be mad enough to shell the **bs.

No dark clouds here, just a slight haze.

rookie

"It looks good and gets the job done, sound like anybody you know?"

They celebrated like they won with a walk-off home run and ending a 13 game losing streak. What was wrong with their celebration? :?:

When the Cards broke their losing streak yesterday, they threw their seat cushions on the field.

I just wish we could get our pitching and offense on the same page. I don't know if this is the pitching's payback for last year or what, but I'd like to see pitching and offense be a little more consistent. It doesn't have to be incredible (see Sox/Cards series), just good, solid, and consistent.

This loss is irritating, but not as irritating as it would've have been had it happened yesterday or Tuesday, or if it would have been more than 1 loss.

C'mon Sox, let's close out the first 1/2 in style.

RedRamage
06-29-2006, 04:26 PM
For what it's worth, I think that if they did away with IL play they would increase the number of games between other divisions. We're already playing 19 divisional games (76 games for 5 team divisions... or 47% of the schedule).

Huisj
06-29-2006, 04:28 PM
You're right, it was Montego. Actually there is a Mitsubishi Montero.

that's what the angry looking SUV is that's shown in my first post. If that doesn't look like an angry relief pitcher scowl, I don't know what does.

It's got me wondering, what kind of car does Politte look like? What kind of car has a tentative looking face?

voodoochile
06-29-2006, 04:29 PM
Well, we didn't deserve to win that game and we didn't. At least that is what me and the mouse in my pocket say.

One question: Anyone got a number on Thome's blast? How long was it and did it make the river on the fly? I called it and it was crushed.

GOGOGOPODS
06-29-2006, 04:30 PM
Odds were the Pirates had to win sooner or later..... I mean that is a lot of games to lose in a row. The fans in Pittsburgh were pretty rough on their time, so I dont blame them for celebrating like that on a Walk off Home Run

thomas35forever
06-29-2006, 04:30 PM
Well, we didn't deserve to win that game and we didn't. At least that is what me and the mouse in my pocket say.

One question: Anyone got a number on Thome's blast? How long was it and did it make the river on the fly? I called it and it was crushed.

It took about two or three bounces to land into the river.

vernhillssoxfan
06-29-2006, 04:31 PM

Not sure how far it was but it bounced twice before going into the river.

TheOldRoman
06-29-2006, 04:37 PM
Cliff lost the game -- bottom line. Blame the rest of the team all you want. He had a chance with the game on the line and failed yet again. I've had enough of his broken record performances. I turned the game off when he came in because it was a foregone conclusion.
Polittle did not blow the game. He lost it. Contreras blew the game by giving up 6 runs to the worst team in baseball. He just plain sucked today. The offense blew the game by going to sleep after the second inning. Only Thome did anything after that.
The Sox ****ed up so many times today that you can't blame this loss solely on Cliff. Politte sucks, and he is on his way out, but we should have never been in a tie game in the 9th against the worst team in baseball.

SCarolina_Ron
06-29-2006, 04:38 PM
that's what the angry looking SUV is that's shown in my first post. If that doesn't look like an angry relief pitcher scowl, I don't know what does.

It's got me wondering, what kind of car does Politte look like? What kind of car has a tentative looking face?

Sorry 'bout that...the picture didn't show up on my PC.

Ol' No. 2
06-29-2006, 04:40 PM
Polittle did not blow the game. He lost it. Contreras blew the game by giving up 6 runs to the worst team in baseball. He just plain sucked today. The offense blew the game by going to sleep after the second inning. Only Thome did anything after that.
The Sox ****ed up so many times today that you can't blame this loss solely on Cliff. Politte sucks, and he is on his way out, but we should have never been in a tie game in the 9th against the worst team in baseball.The Sox looked like they were sleepwalking the whole series. I can't recall when I've seen such uninspired baseball. It finally caught up with them today, but if they'd been playing a decent team they might have been swept. But let's blame it all on Politte or Widger.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-29-2006, 04:41 PM

Farmeo said it was 432 feet.

MadetoOrta
06-29-2006, 04:41 PM
:chickenlittle:darkcloud:

Maybe you haven't realized this, but the White Sox are not in a race with themselves. The White Sox are the best team in baseball. If you don't think so, you need your head checked. And we will lose 2 of 3 to the Cubs? Get a ****ing clue.

Thanks Old Roman. We are the best team in baseball. Baseball is a marathon. As a result, the strongest usually survive and the pretenders fall by the wayside. I have no doubt we will be there at the end again. Whether we win the WS, that's for another day. I like our people.

SoxSpeed22
06-29-2006, 04:42 PM
The name of this thread reminds me about that commercial when they were celebrating after the first out.
My favorite part is how everyone is saying we played down to the Pirates, yeah, we sucked today, but the fact of the matter is that being the champs means that there is a target on our backs and everybody is aiming for it. I didn't know that "playing down" meant not blowing out a bad team, this is still 2 out of 3.

palehozenychicty
06-29-2006, 04:45 PM
The name of this thread reminds me about that commercial when they were celebrating after the first out.
My favorite part is how everyone is saying we played down to the Pirates, yeah, we sucked today, but the fact of the matter is that being the champs means that there is a target on our backs and everybody is aiming for it. I didn't know that "playing down" meant not blowing out a bad team, this is still 2 out of 3.

For sure, and they were due to win. the pirates aren't that far away, if the young lefties keep their heads up and they get some outfield help for bay. We'll be ready for the flubs and the back end of our rotation needs to pitch well. simple as that.

IronFisk
06-29-2006, 04:46 PM
Okay, okay we sucked ducks today. Well, we haven't looked too sharp for a few games, but I still trust our boys.

Not Politte however. He's finished - waive him already.

BeviBall!
06-29-2006, 04:47 PM
We played down to them... make no question about it. This was some of the worst baserunning, defense and clutch hitting we've seen all year in a series. The bullpen was the only bright spot... until #18 showed up this afternoon.

Jose is finally coming back down to earth. All this all-star starter talk might have something to do with it. Last year, when Ozzie was talking about Burls and JG for the Cy Young... they both slumped pretty badly for a few starts. Maybe he'll get it out of his system against the O's.

Cuck the Fubs
06-29-2006, 04:50 PM
I will gladly take 2 out of 3 for the rest of the season!

goon
06-29-2006, 04:53 PM
listened to the game at work... just saw the highlights on sportscenter.

if there is one thing good i can pull from this it's that the pirates have some momentum going into the detroit series. as for the cubs, derrek lee struck out in the 8th with two men on and a chance to tie up the game against turnbow and the brewers. so the cubs are coming into the sox series on a downer, not like the sox need anykind of "mental edge" against the cubs, but it's a somewhat hyped series with a moderate amount of pressure for each club.

anyone going to wrigley tomorrow?

Frater Perdurabo
06-29-2006, 04:56 PM
I will gladly take 2 out of 3 for the rest of the season!

Indeed. We're a bit off the .667 pace, but only by a game or so. We are still on pace for 105 wins, though.

:supernana:

Suburbanbuddha
06-29-2006, 04:58 PM
Contreras' streak seems less and less impressive with all the 'no decisions' of late. He used to be a sure win - now it's more of a crap shoot. Beginning the game with a two run lead, he should have been able to shut the 'bucs down.

Have the Sox ever swept at Wrigley? Seems like there is a split in the season series every year no matter who's on top at the time. Now would be a good time to drop the hammer on the flubs.

p.s. Germany over Argentina tomorrow

BeviBall!
06-29-2006, 04:59 PM
Have the Sox ever swept at Wrigley?

Suburbanbuddha
06-29-2006, 05:00 PM
right thanx

slobes
06-29-2006, 05:03 PM
Not to be pessimistic, but I've seen enough of Politte for a while. It's really easy to pin the loss on him, but Contreras wasn't really at his best either, and as a team we left loads of guys on base. Nothing we can do about it now, just go take 3 at Wrigley this weekend.
Go Sox.

IceczMan
06-29-2006, 05:08 PM
Lets lay off Politte's back a little here, Ozzie put him out there for 2 clutch innings in his first game back off the DL, give him a couple of games before we start calling for the return of the Montero era.

Lip Man 1
06-29-2006, 05:21 PM
Politte who already has a confidence problem isn't going to be helped by today.

Remember this guy just spent two and a half weeks supposedly getting himself back together because of a 'sore' arm.

Second pitch...game over...drive home safely everyone.

His arm may have had something to do with it but I think the issue is more right between the ears.

Ozzie will keep going to him because he's on the roster, but come July 31st 'he gone...'

Lip

SCarolina_Ron
06-29-2006, 05:23 PM
Lets lay off Politte's back a little here, Ozzie put him out there for 2 clutch innings in his first game back off the DL, give him a couple of games before we start calling for the return of the Montero era.

I agree! He was lights out last year and pitching injured earlier this year. He deserves a few more appearances before we judge.

Lip Man 1
06-29-2006, 05:23 PM
Ice:

Who said anything about Montego Bay? It's time for another deal because frankly I think Cliff's issue is more with his head then his arm.

He's simply unreliable and the Sox can no longer afford taking chances with him.

Lip

Lip Man 1
06-29-2006, 05:24 PM
S Carolina:

And the two years before 2005 he was awful, so that makes three 'bad' seasons out of four. To me it looks more and more like 2005 for Cliff was a complete fluke.

Lip

oeo
06-29-2006, 05:28 PM
The Sox ****ed up so many times today that you can't blame this loss solely on Cliff. Politte sucks, and he is on his way out, but we should have never been in a tie game in the 9th against the worst team in baseball.
I'm beginning to think this team has to be on the big stage against good teams to be successful. This whole series they didn't look that great. This was by far the most boring and least interesting series in a long time. Thank god we never go to Pittsburgh again for a few years.

Hopefully they can beat the hell out of the Flubs, who they hate, and then come back home and finish off the first half the right way.

WSox8404
06-29-2006, 05:30 PM
Well we are playing the Scrubs this weekend so its not like Detroit has any better of a chance to put us further back.

BadBobbyJenks
06-29-2006, 05:31 PM
[quote=Jose.Contreras]Well at least we got that out of the way this quickly. The sooner Ozzie learns never to use Politte in a game that we're winning or losing by less than 7 runs, the better.
Ozzie brings Politte and his fat, fat, FAT earned run average directly into a tie game and he gives up a walk-off HR to the lowly Pirates. Lesson learned. Move on. We won't be seeing him anytime soon in a meaningful situation. :D:
quote]

I was surprised to see cliff back out there, you could have let him start on a positive note a scoreless inning why press your luck? Some one needs to explain to me the point of having Brandon in the pen and not use him in long inning situations like these games that are extra inning bound. I have no idea why he wasnt getting ready for the 9th. I dont understand what we are doing with him, these are the exact situations hes perfect for...

Awful day all around, pitching, offense and Ozzie making bad decisions(leaving contreras in to hit when he had nothing and a man on 2nd, politte going another inning...)

but it only counts as one loss...go take the cubs series

white sox bill
06-29-2006, 05:40 PM
Was at work so didn't see game, followed parts on scorecast by AOL, so can't comment on how bad we played, but doesn't sound too good. Oz needs to keep Clifford on a short leash. I for one always thought he had a career yr on '05. A one yr wonder. I know he's not a "closer" but can you really mention Cliff in the same sentence as Thiggy, Quisenberry, Gagne and Ecker?

KyWhiSoxFan
06-29-2006, 05:42 PM
[I was surprised to see cliff back out there, you could have let him start on a positive note a scoreless inning why press your luck? Some one needs to explain to me the point of having Brandon in the pen and not use him in long inning situations like these games that are extra inning bound. I have no idea why he wasnt getting ready for the 9th. I dont understand what we are doing with him, these are the exact situations hes perfect for...

Awful day all around, pitching, offense and Ozzie making bad decisions(leaving contreras in to hit when he had nothing and a man on 2nd, politte going another inning...)

but it only counts as one loss...go take the cubs series[/quote]

Ozzie never should have left Politte in in the 9th. Politte never has been good in the 9th. He can't stand the pressure. Ozzie should have taken him out after a successful inning, and left him feeling good about himself. He was set up for failure.

regionsox73
06-29-2006, 05:55 PM
I say we keep him around for those 20 run leads when we play St. Louis. Or have him throw BP. Otherwise you know by looking at him he just doesn't have it anymore.

Hitmen77
The key to the Sox success is starting pitching. If Vazquez can manage to give up less than 9 freaking runs on Sunday, Sox win. If Contreras has even a halfway decent outing, today's 6 runs would be enough to sweep.

The main problem with the bullpen is that the Sox starters aren't going deep into the games. Ozzie said so himself. Thus, we're in a situation where our bullpen is stretched thin and we're put in the position of using Politte in the 9th with the game on the line facing a guy totally on fire.

It's all about the starting pitching. If our 5 starters can pitch to their potential, you may as well make your playoff plans now. If we keep seeing meltdowns every 2nd or 3rd game from JV and JG and more bad outings from JC (this is the 3rd bad outing in a row for him:(: ), then I would stock up on antacid tablets this summer.

Oh yes, and that being said, I hope the Sox don't let Politte blow too many games before they pull the plug on him. Hate to say it, but I think he's finished. Time to figure out if Montero or Tracey can be the 6th man in the pen - otherwise work a Riske-caliber trade sometime in July.

Blueprint1
Well if Detroit keeps winning like they are I guess they desirve to win the division. If we win 105 games I think were going to make the playoffs.

Blueprint1
Well if Detroit keeps winning like they are I guess they desirve to win the division. If we win 105 games I think were going to make the playoffs.

Hitmen77
06-29-2006, 05:57 PM
....on the plus side, it's good to see Brian Anderson show some offense again with a double deep to left field.

Hey Brian, don't forget to touch first base! :o:

Dick Allen
06-29-2006, 05:57 PM

I hate this interleague garbage anyway. All it's doing is ticking off games from the schedule for The Tigers, Sox & Twins.This is exactly the way I'm looking at it. You know the Cubs are not going to play nearly as bad as they did against Det, Minn, and Milw. They'll be all fired up for this series, putting all their eggs in one basket, and their idiot fans will be even more idiotic. Like you said, this is their World Series. Garland and Vazquez better get their **** together.

MikeW
06-29-2006, 06:16 PM
I''ll say I am disapointed in Cliff, but I'm not ready to dump him yet. Sanchez is hot right now and that ball barely cleared the fence.

Chips
06-29-2006, 06:42 PM
I''ll say I am disapointed in Cliff, but I'm not ready to dump him yet. Sanchez is hot right now and that ball barely cleared the fence.

I ****ing hate Cliff. He's a busted leg.

Senerch23
06-29-2006, 06:47 PM
Ozzie never should have left Politte in in the 9th. Politte never has been good in the 9th. He can't stand the pressure. Ozzie should have taken him out after a successful inning, and left him feeling good about himself. He was set up for failure.

If Ozzie took him out in the 9th then we are looking at another pitcher only going one inning as the pitcher's spot was due up first in the 9th. We only had three guys left in the pen at that point, one of them being Bobby and he had pitched the previous two games. It was all just a case of bad timing on the pitcher's spot coming up next inning in the order. It's too bad Riske couldn't have pitched the 7th inning as the pitcher's spot didn't come around again until the 8th. Bad planning by Ozzie.

JB98
06-29-2006, 07:07 PM
Poor starting pitching was the main reason we lost this game. Contreras sucked today. Six runs should be more than enough to win against Pittsburgh.

Ideally, Ozzie would have pulled Politte after the eighth. He had a 1-2-3 inning. Let him leave the mound feeling good about himself. Unfortunately, we couldn't get the lineup turned over in the top of ninth. With the pitcher's spot due up to lead off the 10th, there wasn't much choice other than to try to milk another inning out of Cliff. Unfortunately, he lost the game, and we're right back where we were before the injury: Worrying about him mentally.

****ty loss. We're playing down to the level of our competition again. The Sox are 18-8 in June. I don't think it's a coincidence that we've played a lot of good teams this month. When we face a quality opponent, as we have for most of June, we're ready. Against the dregs of the league, meh. I'm worried about this weekend. Garland and Vazquez had best rebound from poor starts against the Astros.

Chips
06-29-2006, 07:13 PM
If Ozzie took him out in the 9th then we are looking at another pitcher only going one inning as the pitcher's spot was due up first in the 9th. We only had three guys left in the pen at that point, one of them being Bobby and he had pitched the previous two games. It was all just a case of bad timing on the pitcher's spot coming up next inning in the order. It's too bad Riske couldn't have pitched the 7th inning as the pitcher's spot didn't come around again until the 8th. Bad planning by Ozzie.
I thought it would have been a good idea to put Thome at first and let the picthers spot bat 4th. And why didn't he let someone hit for Jose in the 5th or 6th with a man on?

How far can it fly? blows it anyway, up to his usual tricks.

MRM
06-29-2006, 07:17 PM
[I was surprised to see cliff back out there, you could have let him start on a positive note a scoreless inning why press your luck? Some one needs to explain to me the point of having Brandon in the pen and not use him in long inning situations like these games that are extra inning bound. I have no idea why he wasnt getting ready for the 9th. I dont understand what we are doing with him, these are the exact situations hes perfect for...

but it only counts as one loss...go take the cubs series
Ozzie never should have left Politte in in the 9th. Politte never has been good in the 9th. He can't stand the pressure. Ozzie should have taken him out after a successful inning, and left him feeling good about himself. He was set up for failure.[/quote]

I don't think he was set up for failure at all. It was a sound decision to bring him back in for the 9th and hope he could get thru it 1-2-3. I'm certain if that had been a base hit rather than a home run cliff would have been pulled. The reason to leave Politte in there is simple, the pitcher was due up to lead off the 10th in the event of extra innings. No matter who pitched the 9th, they'd have been pinch hit for in the 10th reducing the pen even more. Wasn't Politte the 4th Sox pitcher of the day, already? Cotts and Riske had already been used. Thorton threw quite a few pitches yesterday, as did Jenks. McCarthy pitched in 3 straight games from Sunday-Tuesday. The options were really pretty limited, particularly with the possibility of the game going several more innings.

And it's not like Sanchez is some scrub. He's leading the NL in hitting and hit the cover off the ball the entire series.

viagracat
06-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Ah well, sometimes it's good to lose a game like this. Reminds you that every team needs to be taken seriously; and that as good as you may be, you can always be better.

Having said that, though, Politte has to step it up. I understand Ozzie not using Jenks in the 9th. He was saving him for a save situation that unfortunately never came to pass. :(:

Remember that when you go to the North Side tomorrow. Get angry and fired up; therefore ready to seriously hurt the Cubs tomorrow. I'm there. :smile:

TDog
06-29-2006, 08:18 PM
The bullpen didn't lose the game. The starting pitching lost the game by putting the Sox in a hole, If the Sox had the lead, Politte wouldn't have been out there. With the score tied, he has to stay out because you're already three deep in the pen, with Jenks having worked the previous two nights, and you don't know how many innings you'll need. Polite giving up the home run is no different than McCarthy giving up a triple and a single against Houston.

Essentially, the last two losses were games the Sox hitters overcame poor pitching outings but couldn't get the lead. Both are games the Sox should have won.

The game meant a lot to the Pirates because of their losing streak. The Cubs will be playing better against the Sox than they normally play because it's the Sox and they were humiliated the first two games at the Cell.

Grzegorz
06-29-2006, 08:31 PM
Same with the scrubs...they can be as bad as they look against other teams, but I'm a little apprehensive about this weekend. Now, that being said, I don't like interleague BS because, well, we have the scrubs who'll play well against us because of the importance of the game to them and their fans.

My sentiments exactly...

The White Sox had better get up for this series because the flubs will be fired up.

Garland, Vasquez, & Buerhle better be tough this weekend.

Lets go get them, and for God's sake will Bud Selig wake up and finally get rid of the novelty that is interleague play? Give me more head to head matchups with intradivision teams any day of the week.

ChicagoHoosier
06-29-2006, 09:11 PM
The bullpen didn't lose the game. The starting pitching lost the game by putting the Sox in a hole, If the Sox had the lead, Politte wouldn't have been out there. With the score tied, he has to stay out because you're already three deep in the pen, with Jenks having worked the previous two nights, and you don't know how many innings you'll need. Polite giving up the home run is no different than McCarthy giving up a triple and a single against Houston.

Essentially, the last two losses were games the Sox hitters overcame poor pitching outings but couldn't get the lead. Both are games the Sox should have won.

Exactly! If Contreras has pitched as well as he is built up to be, we're not having this conversation. He had a bad day, Thome allowed him to avoid the L, and instead we're sad cuz we lost a game.

I wanted 5/6 from these two series. Let's still make that happen!

Lprof
06-29-2006, 09:32 PM
Well, the Pirates had to win eventually. The Sox did not look too good out there today.Over a 162 game schedule, you expect to stink up the joint every once in awhile, even if you are a really good team. But this year, with Detroit going absolutely nuts, you can't afford to blow even one game--or so it seems. I don't recall ever seeing anything quite like this; Detroit simply never loses.:mad:

FarWestChicago
06-29-2006, 10:13 PM

When we lose 2 of 3 to the Flubs this weekend and the Tigers sweep we'll be 4.5 back....Excellent!! :thumbsup:

This is the best brown legged, PissPants post I've seen this year. I hope you're not married. You should have to clean your own **** out of your underwear. It wouldn't be right if you wife had to get the piss and **** out for you.

EdHerman12
06-29-2006, 10:52 PM
Over a 162 game schedule, you expect to stink up the joint every once in awhile, even if you are a really good team. But this year, with Detroit going absolutely nuts, you can't afford to blow even one game--or so it seems. I don't recall ever seeing anything quite like this; Detroit simply never loses.:mad:

Well they have a bulldog mentality much like their manager. I have watched many of their games, and their relief pitching, in particular Rodney, and at times Jones have struggled, but their hitting bails them out at the right time. I think they will sweep Pittsburg.

Well, today was a tough loss, but like many have stated it's still a long season. It's funny that we have done well against the Tigers and yet are 2.5 back. We'll be going there soon and you don't want to get 4.5 or more back because if we go there and sweep we'll still be back.

I have to believe if Ozzie could go back in this game he'd.... A. pinch hit for JC when there were runners in position, and.... B. he would've had Jenksie on the hill in the 9th, but Oz manages on instinct and most times he's correct. Have faith everyone.

On to Wrigley! Let's sweep those Flubbies!

GO SOX!

Playah
06-30-2006, 01:09 AM
It's good to see Cliff back out there. Sure he had a bad ball today, but I'm sure he'll get back on the horse. After all, he has a World Series ring and Ozzie Guillen believes in him, and I learned from the thread about Sunday night's game that Ozzie Guillen is never ever wrong.

I'm new here, but shouldnt this be in teal?

RadioheadRocks
06-30-2006, 02:03 AM

Wow, just wow.

At least Reinsdorf had the decency to wait until July 31 when he waved the white flag.