PDA

View Full Version : mlb.tv at work

Sxy Mofo
06-29-2006, 01:01 PM
any of you guys do this? Is it so much data content the IT dept will generally be aware, or does it slide through relatively unnoticed?

my dad got an account and since he doesn't log in during work, I can log in under his info, but i'm wondering if it's obvious to know i'm watching, anyone know?

jenn2080
06-29-2006, 01:11 PM
dont be scared just do it. Youll be fine

Sxy Mofo
06-29-2006, 01:12 PM
probably. What i might do is just take my "lunch" toward the ending innings, and then the only thing they can tell me is that it's too much data, but i won't get in trouble for watching the game.

Madvora
06-29-2006, 01:41 PM
I'd be more worried about getting caught watching TV on my screen. How do you get away with that?

mccoydp
06-29-2006, 01:43 PM
If you have a network "Nazi" sitting around monitoring bandwidth, they can tell who's sucking the speed down by your IP address and/or MAC address (address burned into your network card). If they don't block the video, and you're not being monitored, have at it!

Milw
06-29-2006, 01:58 PM
Not that I condone stealing from MLB ... but multiple people can log in under the same account at the same time.

Just throwing that out there ... :whistle:

Sxy Mofo
06-29-2006, 02:26 PM
I'd be more worried about getting caught watching TV on my screen. How do you get away with that?
taking my hour lunch at my desk during the last few innings. I wouldn't do it for the whole game or during most work time.

I tuned in for thome's monster shot.

CashMan
06-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Like MCC said, if you are at a company that uses bandwidth to do business, I would not attempt this, but if they have the net to look stuff off everyone in a while, it should be ok. I have a degree in ISS(NEtworking), and there are tools to use to check if bandwidth is used. Is it a small business or large one? I am not familiar with MLB TV, the port might be blocked to begin with.

Sxy Mofo
06-29-2006, 02:28 PM
If you have a network "Nazi" sitting around monitoring bandwidth, they can tell who's sucking the speed down by your IP address and/or MAC address (address burned into your network card). If they don't block the video, and you're not being monitored, have at it!

I'm pretty sure i know more than my company's IT guys, so I'll take the chance, and I don't think you can get fired for using too much bandwith during lunch, only probably a warning.

SABRSox
06-29-2006, 02:29 PM
any of you guys do this? Is it so much data content the IT dept will generally be aware, or does it slide through relatively unnoticed?

my dad got an account and since he doesn't log in during work, I can log in under his info, but i'm wondering if it's obvious to know i'm watching, anyone know?

I think it depends on the company. I work for an entertainment company, and people here are downloading and watching all sorts of video. It's part of their job. I've never had any problems streaming MLB, World Cup Soccer, etc.

But if you're working for a place that isn't so... friendly about those sorts of things, I don't know what to tell you.

Sxy Mofo
06-29-2006, 02:30 PM
Like MCC said, if you are at a company that uses bandwidth to do business, I would not attempt this, but if they have the net to look stuff off everyone in a while, it should be ok. I have a degree in ISS(NEtworking), and there are tools to use to check if bandwidth is used. Is it a small business or large one? I am not familiar with MLB TV, the port might be blocked to begin with.
small business and we don't necessarily use bandwidth for business. Like i said, I'll just take my lunch during the last few innings of day games, then i'll only get a warning for bandwidth usage, not for looking at it during work.

mccoydp
06-29-2006, 02:48 PM
I'm pretty sure i know more than my company's IT guys, so I'll take the chance, and I don't think you can get fired for using too much bandwith during lunch, only probably a warning.

Not saying that you could get fired, but they could restrict your access or block your Internet connectivity.