PDA

View Full Version : Bullpen problem solved?

thomas35forever
06-29-2006, 12:10 AM
We haven't really had any bullpen problems since Riske arrived. Is he the guy we've been looking for all year?

LuvSox
06-29-2006, 12:10 AM
We haven't really had any bullpen problems since Riske arrived. Is he the guy we've been looking for all year?

Ask Lip

JB98
06-29-2006, 12:13 AM

Only time will tell, but I do think having another veteran down there has taken the pressure off the younger guys. With Politte, Hermy and Nelson all on the DL, we went through a stretch where Cotts was our most experienced reliever.

beckett21
06-29-2006, 12:25 AM
I was thinking of starting a bullpen thread myself.

After all of the hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth earlier in the year, the bullpen is really looking strong right now. Thornton is becoming one of my favorite guys to watch. He looks very comfortable and confident on the mound. The guy is looking unhittable right now.

Riske was a great addition as well. Hermanson would be a luxury at this point.

If Politte comes back strong, I'd say that the bullpen 'problems' are over for good. As it is, I think that they already are. If the playoffs started tomorrow, I would feel comfortable with the bullpen as-is.

slobes
06-29-2006, 12:35 AM
I'd say the addition of Riske along with Thornton coming along has been huge. If Politte is back to his '05 form, our bullpen will be one of the best in the Bigs.

Banix12
06-29-2006, 12:37 AM
If Politte comes back strong, I'd say that the bullpen 'problems' are over for good. As it is, I think that they already are. If the playoffs started tomorrow, I would feel comfortable with the bullpen as-is.

I would agree with this.

I'm right now pretty much comfortable with 5 of the 6 guys in the bullpen.

Politte deserves a chance to regain his spot in the pen. Getting back an effective Politte would be better than any trade the sox could make so it's worth the risk of throwing him out there. I'm looking forward to seeing what he has got.

oeo
06-29-2006, 12:37 AM
There never was a problem. The bullpen can slump, just like everyone else on the team can. That's all it was, it was never that bad.

gf2020
06-29-2006, 12:45 AM
I'd rather have Javier Lopez/Joe Borchard than David Riske/Matt Thornton.

cburns
06-29-2006, 12:55 AM
I'm just glad KW didn't sit on his hands and wait closer to the deadline to make a move to help the bullpen. Now we can get 4 months of Riske instead of 3.

lostletters
06-29-2006, 12:57 AM
Politte will be coming in as a low pressure mop up role with Riske taking over the Right handed set-up role.

Our bullpen problems vanished the minute KW traded for Riske. Regardless of what people like Lip think, Riske is probably the most reliable set-up guys in the Majors. He has several years with a very respectible ERA, a rarity for a bullpen guy.

On top of that both Thornton and Cotts are proving they can handle lefty set-up duties.

Plus Jenks is proving that he is no fluke and may have a great career if he can keep healthy.

With that being said our bullpen is now one of the strongest in the Majors. I think Politte can handle the low pressure situations pretty well. In fact I think the stint on the DL may have been to correct some of the problems he was having.

Beautox
06-29-2006, 01:23 AM
I'm just glad KW didn't sit on his hands and wait closer to the deadline to make a move to help the bullpen. Now we can get 4 months of Riske instead of 3.

If Riske is healthy and continues to be effective I would hope much longer than that. He is only 28 and after this year he will be a FA. He is the owner of a career 3.50ERA and 1.25WHIP, for a lil comparison Cliff's career ERA is 4.23 and his WHIP is 1.36.

I'm glad Matt is coming around and i look forward to Vazquez/Garland/Garcia turning in a much better second half after the ASG. Also i look forward to our Bullpen for '07.

Jenks
Riske
Cotts
Thornton
Long(provided he can fast track it through milb)
Tracey(hopefully)

young and extremely talented.

Lastly if the white sox could pick up Oliver Perez from the bucs for say Rogo + a mid level pitching prospect, would you want KW to pull the trigger? he seems like just the type Coop could turn into a stud and he appears to be falling out of favor in Pittsburgh. He is only 24, only downside is his agent is Scott Boras.

nevr say dye sox
06-29-2006, 05:00 PM
How was Poliette mop up role today. He cost us the game again, thats great if you want him to be out there and try to get his confidence back, but do it in AAA. I'm sick of watching him time in and time out blow it for the sox. Also this series vs. Pitt reminds me of 04'. Look how many runners were left on base. :angry:

ws05champs
06-29-2006, 05:29 PM
Bullpen problems solved? - what a difference a day makes. I guess Ozzie wanted to see if Politte is really back so he threw him into the fire. Took a while to cook but he sure did get burned. Releasing Politte is too good for him, maybe we can trade him to the Cubs for a burger with fries.:angry:

Never thought I would miss Montero so soon.

AJTrenkle
06-29-2006, 05:37 PM
I just wrote a piece on the bullpen at my website today. The link to it is below if you want to read the whole thing.

In a nutshell, though, the bullpen has actually been pretty good. It is the back of the rotation that has kept us from being an all-time great team. Despite what happened this afternoon, I hope Williams doesn't make a deal for a reliever.

BeviBall!
06-29-2006, 06:02 PM
In math, anytime you multiply a number by 0, the answer is 0. In White Sox math, any time you add #18 to something it equals an L. Let's recap:

6 R + #18 = 7 R (L)

I hate to say this because Cliff was a HUGE reason for 2005. He's just completely lost it now.

BeviBall!
06-29-2006, 06:03 PM
I just wrote a piece on the bullpen at my website today. The link to it is below if you want to read the whole thing.

In a nutshell, though, the bullpen has actually been pretty good. It is the back of the rotation that has kept us from being an all-time great team. Despite what happened this afternoon, I hope Williams doesn't make a deal for a reliever.

It is painfully evident that we need one more guy. Politte has reverted back to his Blue Jays days. A change of scenery only works for so long with certain people.

Lip Man 1
06-29-2006, 06:25 PM
Thomas:

Care to rethink your comment? (i.e. after today's game...)

Lip

AJTrenkle
06-29-2006, 11:39 PM
It is painfully evident that we need one more guy. Politte has reverted back to his Blue Jays days. A change of scenery only works for so long with certain people.

I completely agree - I just hope we don't overreact to it and give up a valuable prospect who can help the team or bring in a more influential player.

thomas35forever
06-30-2006, 12:38 AM
Thomas:

Care to rethink your comment? (i.e. after today's game...)

Lip

I'll need to see a couple of more meltdowns before I rethink it.

Tragg
06-30-2006, 09:20 AM
Our bullpen gave up ONE run in 3 and 2/3 innings of work yesterday. What's there to rethink?
That's called quality pitching.
Everyone always wants the mediocre stiff veteran from the other team, as if they'll never give up a run if they pitch for us. They won't do better than what we have, and will likely do worse and will cost us players.

What we lack is a killer, lock-down set up pitcher. So be it. It's a new year and you have to win in different ways. But our pen is still very good.

FarWestChicago
06-30-2006, 09:24 AM
I'll need to see a couple of more meltdowns before I rethink it.Just stop by after any Sox loss and you can see a Lip meltdown. :redneck

ode to veeck
06-30-2006, 09:26 AM
Just stop by after any Sox loss and you can see a Lip meltdown. :redneck

I have to say, Lip is my favorite dark cloud, er ... uh, glass half empty kind of guy.