PDA

View Full Version : Sox preveiw


Daver
02-10-2002, 01:42 PM
From the Sun Times.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-sox10.html

ode to veeck
02-10-2002, 01:47 PM
Parque and Ritchie with a few dozon starts and especially a bullpen (remember last year?) would be really nice

I like the idea of a Durham trade for good return late in the season-especially if a replacement shows promise in 1st half

and yes, the division does look like the Sox's to lose--why all this talk of the great '03 squad--a few pitcher's with healthy labrums and royce on the bench and a hitting (& obp) lineup--it should be obvious Sox got the inside track this year

czalgosz
02-10-2002, 02:49 PM
I would be shocked if the Rangers made the playoffs. My guess is if the Sox make the playoffs, they'll face the A's in the first round. Look for more mid-afternoon pitcher's duels, folks.

RedPinStripes
02-10-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
I would be shocked if the Rangers made the playoffs. My guess is if the Sox make the playoffs, they'll face the A's in the first round. Look for more mid-afternoon pitcher's duels, folks.

I think the Rangers just might have enough to take the A's out. If they don't kill eachother.

czalgosz
02-10-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes


I think the Rangers just might have enough to take the A's out. If they don't kill eachother.

The A's pitching staff is still intact. Unless they have as many injuries as the Sox did last year, they'll win the division, IMO. Good pitching always beats good hitting. The Angels got better this offseason, and while the Mariners almost have to fall off from last year, they are still there.

Unless the Rangers pitching staff suddenly gets really good for some reason, they'll struggle all year.

nut_stock
02-10-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck


I like the idea of a Durham trade for good return late in the season-especially if a replacement shows promise in 1st half



One of the questions brought up by fans at SoxFest (as reported by one of the local papers) was "How long is Durham going to be on the team?" and KW replied," If I were to trade him, I'd have to be prepared to armwrestle Jerry Manual."

czalgosz
02-10-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock


One of the questions brought up by fans at SoxFest (as reported by one of the local papers) was "How long is Durham going to be on the team?" and KW replied," If I were to trade him, I'd have to be prepared to armwrestle Jerry Manual."

Well, I don't think that Kenny Williams is going to discuss potentially trading Ray Durham right in front of him. If the Sox get good value for Durham, I don't think Manuel will be too upset.

But I don't honestly know what a half-season of Ray Durham, at this point, is worth. It really will depend on what's going on in July in terms of injuries, etc.

SOXSINCE'70
02-10-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes


I think the Rangers just might have enough to take the A's out. If they don't kill eachother.

If nothing else,it will be interesting to see if John Rocker and Carl Everett can avoid killing each other. :gulp: :gulp:

"That's life,Robin;full of ups and downs.It ill befits any of us to grow too confident".

Adam West as "Batman"-1966

RichH55
02-11-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz


Well, I don't think that Kenny Williams is going to discuss potentially trading Ray Durham right in front of him. If the Sox get good value for Durham, I don't think Manuel will be too upset.

But I don't honestly know what a half-season of Ray Durham, at this point, is worth. It really will depend on what's going on in July in terms of injuries, etc.


Well 2B isnt exactly strong around the league, and with Ray in a contract you can assume better numbers, and that will mean something come playoff time to contenders...worse comes to worse hes gone in the offseason and you get a 1st rounder and maybe more...not too shabby