PDA

View Full Version : Batting Practice

hula
06-28-2006, 10:52 PM
When I used to go to games as a kid in the late 60's & early 70's Comiskey would open early so you could watch the Sox take batting practice. The place was usually pretty empty, but it was great to watch them. It seemed like the place opened 2 hours before a game. Does anyone else remember this? And why don't they do that anymore?!! :(:

itsnotrequired
06-28-2006, 11:01 PM
When I used to go to games as a kid in the late 60's & early 70's Comiskey would open early so you could watch the Sox take batting practice. The place was usually pretty empty, but it was great to watch them. It seemed like the place opened 2 hours before a game. Does anyone else remember this? And why don't they do that anymore?!! :(:

The park usually opens 1.5 hours before the game. If you hurry, you can catch te end of Sox BP. The Sox bat first so they can relax in the CLubhouse and play vifeo games before first pitch.:cool:

The Sox batted second for one of the weekday afternoon games earlier this year for some reason. First time I had ever seen that.

Brian26
06-28-2006, 11:19 PM
As recently as 1998, the doors were opened at 5pm for 7pm starts at New Comiskey. I got a ball from Alex Fernandez in '96 while he was shagging flies in the outfield during Sox BP. Not sure when they changed the time.

CallMeNuts
06-28-2006, 11:38 PM
They should run some Batting Practice Promo days throughout the year. Open the ballpark 2.5 hours early. Sell more food, drink and souvenirs. Maybe a food coupon for the first 5,000 people.

kevingrt
06-29-2006, 12:28 AM
They should run some Batting Practice Promo days throughout the year. Open the ballpark 2.5 hours early. Sell more food, drink and souvenirs. Maybe a food coupon for the first 5,000 people.

I agree instead of tailgating every once in a while I would be very willing to get into the park early and watch the Sox take some BP. The only time I get to watch is when the Sox are in the playoffs and gates open way early or when they are on the road.

soxfan13
06-29-2006, 10:20 AM
Last year in Houston for the Series was the first time Ive seen the Sox take batting practice in I dont know how long.

Tokes
06-29-2006, 10:33 AM
i got to go to a patio party a few weeks ago but still didn't get to see them. sucks