PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Jenks "The meat with the Heat"

southwstchi4life
06-28-2006, 09:46 PM
Before he throws his first pitch, he wipes the sweat from his fore head, but does back and forth numerous times in a very fast motion (everytime). I was wondering if this was some type of superstition or a type symbol for something saying hi to someone or something. I was wondering if anybody knew.

P.s Whatever it means, keep it up.

oeo
06-28-2006, 10:18 PM
Before he throws his first pitch, he wipes the sweat from his fore head, but does back and forth numerous times in a very fast motion (everytime). I was wondering if this was some type of superstition or a type symbol for something saying hi to someone or something. I was wondering if anybody knew.

It's probably just something he's always done, and doesn't even notice he does it. I've come quite accustomed to it, and I no longer notice it.

gobears1987
06-28-2006, 10:38 PM
Since the spitball is illegal, he's trying to throw the sweat ball.

IlliniSox4Life
06-28-2006, 10:50 PM
I imagine he is trying to get the moisture on his fingers just right and does it a couple of times to wipe off the sweat and then wipe off the excess powder he gets on it, and repeats.

fuzzy_patters
06-28-2006, 11:25 PM
I don't know, but I'll ask Mike Scott.

INSox56
06-28-2006, 11:39 PM
I think it's just routine...he wipes the back of his hat too every time (hence the white mark). It's like any other goofy routine a player has (reference Garciaparra, Nomar ;)

ramorgan1
06-29-2006, 12:11 AM
dunno but my woman just thinks he's got OCD

jongarlandlover
06-29-2006, 12:30 AM
i think it's just a habit he has. i was wondering about that the other day, but i just figured he'd always done it. it don't even notice half the time anymore.

DaleJRFan
06-29-2006, 02:51 AM
he's just really twitchy and amped up when he goes into games..

QCIASOXFAN
06-29-2006, 03:16 AM
It's a big man thing.

Tokes
06-29-2006, 08:43 AM
has anyone noticed how he doesn't throw as fast anymore but he has more control? The Coop must have done some serious work with him during the spring. He's always smiling in the bull pen, love to see the positivity.

seventyseven
06-29-2006, 09:09 AM
has anyone noticed how he doesn't throw as fast anymore but he has more control? The Coop must have done some serious work with him during the spring.

when you've got three pitches you can throw for strikes (instead of just one), you don't need to throw 100 mph.

although he blew away encarnacion (apparently pronounced encarnasheeone, according to DJ) with GAS.

SOXfnNlansing
06-29-2006, 09:09 AM
:threadrules:

Steelrod
06-29-2006, 09:19 AM
Most players have habits that help them trigger in. Contraras rams the ball between his fingers, Thome points his bat at the pitcher, Konerko tighteneds his gloves, taps each side of plate and points before cocking, etc..
I remember Jerry Hairston usta tap his helmet before stepping into the box. Garciaparra has two pages of things to do.

rdwj
06-29-2006, 09:23 AM
I'm not sure I've ever seen a player sweat as much as Bobby.

ILuvThatDuck
06-29-2006, 09:30 AM

Again...Its a big man thing.

I'd like to see Bobby and Freddy have a "sweat-off":smile:

Tokes
06-29-2006, 09:32 AM

Freddy Garcia

soxfan13
06-29-2006, 09:38 AM

Throw crede in there and there is enough sweat to fill a 4 ft back yard swimming pool!!:smile:

batmanZoSo
06-29-2006, 09:39 AM

Jenks pitches best when he feels sexy.

Chez
06-29-2006, 09:44 AM
Bobby has been great. Looking at the roster and our organizational depth, I think Jenks is the player we could least afford to lose to injury (with A.J. being a close second).

Mr.1Dog
06-29-2006, 09:59 AM
Throw crede in there and there is enough sweat to fill a 4 ft back yard swimming pool!!:smile:

Doesn't Crede throw water on his head? I would imagine it is simply to cool himself down. It's no wonder Freddy sweats buckets. He loves to wear the black jerseys when it's 98 degrees and 100% humidity. But whatever Bobby is doing, keep it up.

soxfan13
06-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Doesn't Crede throw water on his head? I would imagine it is simply to cool himself down. It's no wonder Freddy sweats buckets. He loves to wear the black jerseys when it's 98 degrees and 100% humidity. But whatever Bobby is doing, keep it up.

Then he does it when its cool out too. My buddies and I call him greasy crede

southwstchi4life
06-29-2006, 10:46 AM

Id give it to Freddy as well

seventyseven
06-29-2006, 10:50 AM

Esteban Yan.

spiffie
06-29-2006, 10:57 AM
has anyone noticed how he doesn't throw as fast anymore but he has more control? The Coop must have done some serious work with him during the spring. He's always smiling in the bull pen, love to see the positivity.
I don't think he's really lost any speed. Last night he was a bit off, but when I saw him pitch on Friday he hit 100 on the gun a couple of times and was hitting 98-99 routinely. And Sunday night he did uncork the 97 MPH slider that had Joe Morgan even more confused than he usually is in the booth.

DumpJerry
06-29-2006, 03:51 PM
Sweaty Freddy makes a 40 degree night look like a tropical evening.

Bobby has been doing the fidgit thing ever since he came up.

Paulie is the Human Rain Delay when he comes up to bat. Causes Buehrle's games to last more than 90 minutes.

SOXfnNlansing
06-29-2006, 09:06 PM
I was just looking at Jenks numbers and a thought came to me. Growing up I collected baseball cards. I would look at the back of the cards and there was something that all the cards had in common.

The players (even the HOF'ers) would have lousy numbers the first couple years and then the last year they played. Jenks as of this moment has incredible numbers.

He has appeared in 69 games already. Era is 2.62 saved 30/33 pitched in 75 2/3 innings with 92K's.... plus we know what he did in the playoffs. I stopped collecting cards in '79 but I bet his card will be awesome in about 14 years.