PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* White Sox Never Lose 6/28/06 Postgame Thread

SouthSide_HitMen
06-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Lets get this baby up to twelve posts!!!

Jose Game Tying Uribe and Podesednik driving him home was enough to beat the Baseball Themed Pirates.

Great job closing it out by Montero, Thornton and Jenks!!!

Not much else to say.

HomeFish
06-28-2006, 09:41 PM
6.5 game lead for the Wildcard, I believe.

hi im skot
06-28-2006, 09:41 PM
Matt Thornton is quickly becoming one of my favorite players on the team.

:winner

slobes
06-28-2006, 09:42 PM
6.5 game lead for the Wildcard, I believe.

That's all we can worry about until we play Detroit.
Glad to see our hitting finally catch fire in the 7th inning. I wouldn't have been able to stand getting shut out by the Pirates.

Grzegorz
06-28-2006, 09:43 PM
At this point all the White Sox can do is keep pace with the Tigers.

They're doing it and I am sure this fact is as frustrating to the Tigers as their streak is frustrating to us.

BTW, the Twinks won today too.

This is a fantastic baseball season.

SOXBOY
06-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Great win..the bullpen was very soild and just win don't worry about anything else right now.Just win and everything else will take care of itself.

Unregistered
06-28-2006, 09:45 PM
I love how the team looks like crap half the game and suddenly goes "What the hell? We're losing to the Pirates?"

The Sox are like when you're playing against the computer in MVP on All-Star for the first time. You think you're cruising and they come back and edge you just enough to get the win.

Good show.

Droso5
This game was a head-scratcher for me. The whole time until the 4 run seventh the Sox hiters just looked listless and a bit lost. It was just "eh". And of course Freddies dingers....(just Freddy being Freddy). But after the dust settled he only gave up 3 earned and pitched a pretty solid game. THe machine gun rattle of those hits during the 7th was awesome though, its as if the sox woke up from their nap and were like "oh ****, its the 7th? I guess its about that time" Montero looked very solid, THorton was lights out and Jenks yet again grinding it out even while giving up hits in the 9th. Good game.

Also, if SoxintheBurgh doesnt post here tonight, im utterly convinced that the lunatic fan that ran out onto the field was him....that is so something he would do. Have a good night in the clink!

Kogs35
nice comeback tonight, now crush duke tomorow!! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :gulp:

GregoryEtc
06-28-2006, 09:46 PM
AL Central >>>>>>>>>> NL Central

DJ called that triple by Juan.

wassagstdu
06-28-2006, 09:47 PM
Jenks didn't seem to have much tonight, but he had enough. Nice hitting by Uribe on a ball practically in the dirt. Montero and Thornton looked good.

How can the Pirates have lost 13 straight? They are not that bad a team. Maybe they will beat up on the Tigers.

Daver
06-28-2006, 09:47 PM
Also, if SoxintheBurgh doesnt post here tonight, im utterly convinced that the lunatic fan that ran out onto the field was him....that is so something he would do. Have a good night in the clink!

Getting beaten with phone books is no fun.

Droso5
06-28-2006, 09:50 PM
It probably isnt. Hawk and DJ went on and on about how him running onto the field "just wasnt worth it in Pittsburgh" etc etc. Maybe they seem to know what really goes on in "the dungeon" ouch!

CaptainBallz
06-28-2006, 09:51 PM
Strange game. Not very easy on the eyes.

I like the second Sox team that showed up tonight.

The frustration has to be rampant in the AL Central. Lovin' It!:bandance:

Nellie_Fox
06-28-2006, 09:53 PM
How can the Pirates have lost 13 straight? They are not that bad a team. Maybe they will beat up on the Tigers.Not likely. They got swept by the Royals.

flo-B-flo
06-28-2006, 09:56 PM
Matt Thornton is quickly becoming one of my favorite players on the team.

:winner Oh yea, 'Bullet Train' Thornton just a firen'. Uribe big hit with the bags drunk.......My favorite?.....Dumass drunken fool running on the field in.........the moronic me machines' home town........ Willl he take out his crayons about it?

infohawk
06-28-2006, 09:56 PM
I have to say that our bullpen has quietly emerged as a strength over the past couple of weeks. The post-Cooper Thornton and the acquisition of David Riske have really had a stablizing effect.

jdm2662
06-28-2006, 09:57 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2003/01/22/ba_davis04.jpg

"Just win baby!"

Frankfan4life
06-28-2006, 09:58 PM
Knowing that the Tigers, Twins and Yankees had already won, there was a lot of pressure on the Sox to win this game. Fortunately, they rose to the occasion. That's the mark of a very good team. WTG White Sox!!!!

flo-B-flo
06-28-2006, 10:01 PM
The post-Cooper Thornton and the acquisition of David Riske have really had a stablizing effect. I really believe this is true. Thornton and Riske have shined. Montero today...... More Kudos for KW.

Ol' No. 2
06-28-2006, 10:06 PM
Kenny better do something about this bullpen. Maybe he can get Howry from the Cubs.

sox1970
06-28-2006, 10:07 PM
Pirates sent Oliver Perez to the pen. Zach Duke starts Thursday afternoon. Let's git-r done.

MadetoOrta
06-28-2006, 10:08 PM
Why are we so defensive? The Tiggers win another game, are playing out of their collective %$# and there we are - right on their heels. Love these guys.

oeo
06-28-2006, 10:23 PM
How can the Pirates have lost 13 straight? They are not that bad a team. Maybe they will beat up on the Tigers.

Hopefully, we can take the final game tomorrow, and they will really be due for a win...and Detroit is due for a loss.

markopat
06-28-2006, 10:30 PM
I love how one night it's Pods, then Gooch, then Crede, then Uribe...we need for Thome and AJ to find it! Flippin Heart Attack Jenks had me standing up at the end...Nice job by Thornton!

Let's tear it up!

Markopat in DC (for a couple days).

SouthSide_HitMen
06-28-2006, 10:32 PM
Why are we so defensive? The Tiggers win another game, are playing out of their collective %$# and there we are - right on their heels. Love these guys.

Exactly - That is why I titled the thread as such.

I could give a rats ass what the Tigers do until after the trading deadline. In fact I have Verlander, Robertson and Jones in my Yahoo leagues (and picked up Thames as well) and hope they do well.

We are the champions and I bet the Tigers are far more frustrated with the fact they cannot gain ground even though they are winning nearly every day.

If the White Sox win at their .667 clip (2 of every 3 games) nothing else matters.

I am surprised the showed the idiot in the 9th - they hardly ever show fans on the field so future fans are discouraged to do so (seeing they will get no televised publicity for their stupid actions).

gobears1987
06-28-2006, 10:37 PM
It looked like the dumbass fan was wearing the 1914 Flubs hat. shocking

Ol' No. 2
06-28-2006, 10:37 PM
Exactly - That is why I titled the thread as such.

I could give a rats ass what the Tigers do until after the trading deadline. In fact I have Verlander, Robertson and Jones in my Yahoo leagues (and picked up Thames as well) and hope they do well.

We are the champions and I bet the Tigers are far more frustrated with the fact they cannot gain ground even though they are winning nearly every day.

If the White Sox win at their .667 clip (2 of every 3 games) nothing else matters.

I am surprised the showed the idiot in the 9th - they hardly ever show fans on the field so future fans are discouraged to do so (seeing they will get no televised publicity for their stupid actions).Actually, showing them getting led off in handcuffs is just what they should do.

Hitmen77
06-28-2006, 10:39 PM
pre 2005, the Sox would have lost this game. They'd run into a rookie or someone who's suddenly having a great outing and they'd just totally shut down. I love how this team can rise to the occasion and overcome a great pitching effort by the other team.

BNLSox
06-28-2006, 10:39 PM
Hopefully, we can take the final game tomorrow, and they will really be due for a win...and Detroit is due for a loss.

While I agree that detroit is due for a loss, i dont think they'll get one on their off day. Also when they do finally play it'll be Kenny Rogers v. Kip Wells on Friday.... statistically maybe they are due, but talent wise...even the '04 tigers have friday's game won.

oeo
06-28-2006, 10:43 PM
While I agree that detroit is due for a loss, i dont think they'll get one on their off day. Also when they do finally play it'll be Kenny Rogers v. Kip Wells on Friday.... statistically maybe they are due, but talent wise...even the '04 tigers have friday's game won.
I was saying they would lose one to the Pirates over the weekend. And it's baseball, anything can happen. For example: the Flubs beat Sabathia down for 9 runs last week, the Sox haven't even come close to that against him.

PeteWard
06-28-2006, 10:51 PM
White Cloud Alert!!!

Sox should win tomorrow with Contreras going--that means 14 in a row for Pitt. I am a big believer in the law of averages and think it will be very tough for Det. to sweep. I look for the Sox to pick up a game and a half from Thursday through Sunday. Then Detroit has four in Oakland!:D: But somehow they miss Zito in a four game series.:angry: I think the Sox will be tied--or better by the time Baltimore leaves town.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-28-2006, 11:00 PM
Actually, showing them getting led off in handcuffs is just what they should do.

I disagree. People don't give a **** how stupid they look on TV as long as they are on TV.

Jerry Springer Show
COPS
Any "Reality" TV Show

Now if the security guards were able to crack some bones (without subsequent million dollar lawsuits) that would be a different story.

Embarrassed - too many people say meh.
A serious beating - people would think twice.

itsnotrequired
06-28-2006, 11:05 PM
I disagree. People don't give a **** how stupid they look on TV as long as they are on TV.

Jerry Springer Show
COPS
Any "Reality" TV Show

Now if the security guards were able to crack some bones (without subsequent million dollar lawsuits) that would be a different story.

Embarrassed - too many people say meh.
A serious beating - people would think twice.

Agreed. I was surprised they showed the guy on TV. You don't see that too often.

fuzzy_patters
06-28-2006, 11:23 PM
Maholm has given up a lot of hits this year, but he has only allowed five homeruns. That tells me that you have to be patient with him and take him to the opposite field. Having never seen this guy before, it probably took our guys awhile to figure him out. There isn't much reason to worry about the first six innings of tonight's game.

Wasn't Matt Thornton unhittable tonight? Don Cooper is a genius. He took Seattle's garbage and turned it into Billy Wagner. Unbelievable!

Brian26
06-28-2006, 11:25 PM
Dating back to the first game of the Detroit series, the Sox have won 17 of their last 21, which is phenomenal (.810 winning %). Tonight's victory also clinches their seventh series in a row. They are playing great baseball.

DickAllen72
06-28-2006, 11:26 PM
Knowing that the Tigers, Twins and Yankees had already won, there was a lot of pressure on the Sox to win this game.

This interleague play sucks. All it's doing for the Tigers, Sox, and Twins is ticking off games from the schedule. Of course this favors the Tigers as they remain in the lead and lose no ground.

Next the Sox have to play the Cubs, who will do whatever they think it takes to beat the Sox, even if it means sucker punching players, throwing at them, etc. Beating the Sox means everything to them, while they slept through their games with the Tigers and Twins.

I can't wait until next week when we get back to major league baseball. In the meantime, they better not let down tomorrow against the Pirates and especially this weekend against the Cubs.

Oldfellah
06-28-2006, 11:27 PM
Wasn't Matt Thornton unhittable tonight? Don Cooper is a genius. He took Seattle's garbage and turned it into Billy Wagner. Unbelievable!

He actually looked like Kieth Foulke in his good years.... Very nice seeing that!!!!!!!!!

BNLSox
06-28-2006, 11:48 PM
I was saying they would lose one to the Pirates over the weekend. And it's baseball, anything can happen. For example: the Flubs beat Sabathia down for 9 runs last week, the Sox haven't even come close to that against him.

Fair enough... And hey, I hope you're right!!

South Side
06-29-2006, 12:31 AM
It looked like the dumbass fan was wearing the 1914 Flubs hat. shocking

That's what I thought I saw as well.

JB98
06-29-2006, 12:45 AM
He actually looked like Kieth Foulke in his good years.... Very nice seeing that!!!!!!!!!

Hmm. Keith Foulke's repetoire is a lot different than Matt Thornton's.

thomas35forever
06-29-2006, 12:49 AM
Dating back to the first game of the Detroit series, the Sox have won 17 of their last 21, which is phenomenal (.810 winning %). Tonight's victory also clinches their seventh series in a row. They are playing great baseball.

How has Detroit done since then? About the same? Great come-from-behind win tonight.

SOX ADDICT '73
06-29-2006, 01:04 AM
Facing teams on lengthy losing streaks is like playing a game of "Hot Potato." You desperately want to pass it to the next person before the music stops.

(This explains why I'm actually glad the Flubs managed to beat Milwaukee today :cower:)

Britt Burns
06-29-2006, 01:05 AM

Thornton was awesome...how many teams can bring a lefty reliever who touches 98+ and follow him up with a righty who touches 100. Another coup for KW and more proof Cooper is the best in the business (and yes, that includes you Mazzone).

Chisox003
06-29-2006, 01:17 AM
Thornton was awesome...how many teams can bring a lefty reliever who touches 98+ and follow him up with a righty who touches 100. Another coup for KW and more proof Cooper is the best in the business (and yes, that includes you Mazzone).
I wonder how hard Thornton could throw if he actually reared back and let loose. That's the easiest 98+ I've EVER seen. His stuff is electric, and it's been really fun watching him come from busted prospect to a go to guy.

We don't need a top of the line bullpen, we just need stability in consistency. It's no fluke that once this bullpen got it together around 3 weeks ago, we kicked it into gear.

Now if BA and Uribe start hitting consistently and Vazzy could avoid that one inning.... :drool:

gbergman
06-29-2006, 01:27 AM
great game

BadBobbyJenks
06-29-2006, 01:36 AM
Uribe = typical uribe hot streak
Thornton = dominant
Jenks = not the best stuff tonight and still nailed another one
offense = more clutch hitting
the pen = shutting down everyone lately
tiggers winning again = i dont give a ****, Im enjoying the amazing baseball we are playing

me = :gulp: :bandance:

IronFisk
06-29-2006, 02:14 AM
this SUCKS! Tigers win again - forget this ****!

:redneck

voodoochile
06-29-2006, 02:23 AM
So I'm sitting next to some guy named Al at the game. He says he's been a Pirate fan for 68 years. Shortly thereafter, the Pirate loses his contact or whatever the problem was in the 7th. He gets back in the box and Montero buzzes one by his head. Al starts chuckling. I look at Al and say, "That's baseball." He just nods.

Then in the ninth, Uribe just misses tacking on an insurance run, jacking one very deep but foul and the next pitch goes flying by his head. Al and me just look at each other and nod.

Great win. The ending had me reaching for the bromo.

:supernana::)

Tigerslover
06-29-2006, 02:34 AM
So I'm sitting next to some guy named Al at the game. He says he's been a Pirate fan for 68 years. Shortly thereafter, the Pirate loses his contact or whatever the problem was in the 7th. He gets back in the box and Montero buzzes one by his head. Al starts chuckling. I look at Al and say, "That's baseball." He just nods.

Apparently a bug got in his eye. That's what they were saying on the telecast.

QCIASOXFAN
06-29-2006, 03:30 AM
I luuvvvvvvvvvvvv when Juan steps up big. Nicely pitched game by Freddy also.

TDog
06-29-2006, 04:40 AM

That is where the concern lies. Contreras with a team-record 16 straight regular season wins and the Pirates with a modern-era team record 13 straight losses. I hope the Pirates wait to break their losing streak when it will break the Tigers' winning streak.

bluestar
06-29-2006, 07:59 AM
Next the Sox have to play the Cubs, who will do whatever they think it takes to beat the Sox, even if it means sucker punching players, throwing at them, etc. Beating the Sox means everything to them, while they slept through their games with the Tigers and Twins.

This is a bit of an overlooked aspect of this division race, IMO. Everyone really wants to beat the defending champs, but they just don't have the same fire for Detroit. This has been especially true with:

...the Astros, who really played the Sox tough as if it was a playoff series, and then laid down for the Tigers.

...the Indians, who always seem to play up to their potential against the Sox and then just mail it in against most other teams.

...the Cubs.

MsSoxVixen22
06-29-2006, 09:15 AM
Let's win this afternoon so we can start the series with the Cubs on a good note! Go get 'em Jose!

batmanZoSo
06-29-2006, 09:43 AM

If you'd have been told then we were headed for a 17-4 run, you probably wouldn't think we'd still be in second place. It's all good though, any run like this is always great and will pay off in the end. Just keep winning because Detroit is going to stumble a few times along the way. They're not gonna go away, but they will stumble and then we gotta hop on 'em.

Chips
06-29-2006, 10:15 AM

What an excellent game

Gavin
06-29-2006, 10:16 AM
After Craig Wilson was hurt in the collision and they were taking him out, the camera was focused on the Pirates dugout. In the middle of the lull while the manager was working on who to put in a Pirates fan screamed out "HEY! See if we can borrow Mackowiak!". He got a small appreciative laugh from the crowd.

spiffie
06-29-2006, 10:53 AM
This is a bit of an overlooked aspect of this division race, IMO. Everyone really wants to beat the defending champs, but they just don't have the same fire for Detroit. This has been especially true with:

...the Astros, who really played the Sox tough as if it was a playoff series, and then laid down for the Tigers.

...the Indians, who always seem to play up to their potential against the Sox and then just mail it in against most other teams.

...the Cubs.
Well, with the Cubs its one of those things where they have to play hard since that might be the only thing that can placate the more vocal part of the fanbase. Sure they suck, but if they can take 2 of 3 from us that will keep their fans happy for a month at least.

The Astros might have done better except that we just beat the hell out of them. By the end of that Sunday night game that team was just destroyed and had to use everything they had just to avoid the sweep. By the time they hit Detroit they were useless.

And I hate Cleveland.

wassagstdu
06-29-2006, 12:48 PM
Maholm has given up a lot of hits this year, but he has only allowed five homeruns. That tells me that you have to be patient with him and take him to the opposite field. Having never seen this guy before, it probably took our guys awhile to figure him out. There isn't much reason to worry about the first six innings of tonight's game.

Maybe the key to this game was the third run for the Pirates. Down 3-0 the approach changes from "Park one and be a hero" to "Get men on base." Three straight singles, a contact triple, and another single. Voila!

Soxworldchamps
06-29-2006, 01:17 PM
I swear, Thornton is the skinny man inside Bobby Jenks waiting to get out. He has such a great arm. Great game last night, let's make it a sweep :bandance: