PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 6-30

Lip Man 1
06-28-2006, 05:22 PM
And so Friday closes the month.

June 30, 1988- After years of saying that the original Comiskey Park is outdated, Sox owners Jerry Reinsdorf and Eddie Einhorn come very close to moving the team to the Tampa Bay / St. Petersburg, Florida area.

At the stroke of midnight the Illinois General Assembly passes a bill allowing the construction of a new stadium, thus saving the Sox. Meanwhile Florida baseball fans are stunned as they realize they have been used as a pawn to get a new facility by the power brokers and politicians of Chicago.

Over the years ownership has stated that they never had any real intention of moving that the threat was a 'ploy' to get the city and state to finally move towards getting a new facility.

If that's true they disguised it very, very well.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
06-28-2006, 05:29 PM
And so Friday closes the month.

June 30, 1988- After years of saying that the original Comiskey Park is outdated, Sox owners Jerry Reinsdorf and Eddie Einhorn come very close to moving the team to the Tampa Bay / St. Petersburg, Florida area.

At the stroke of midnight the Illinois General Assembly passes a bill allowing the construction of a new stadium, thus saving the Sox. Meanwhile Florida baseball fans are stunned as they realize they have been used as a pawn to get a new facility by the power brokers and politicians of Chicago.

Over the years ownership has stated that they never had any real intention of moving that the threat was a 'ploy' to get the city and state to finally move towards getting a new facility.

If that's true they disguised it very, very well.

LipOf course you know the real story on that vote, which was far more interesting. Because of a provision in the state constitution, the measure required only a simple majority on June 30, but on July 1 would require a 3/5 majority. As midnight approached they didn't have the votes, so they took the simple expedient of unplugging the clock. There it stood at 11:59 for upwards of 20 minutes while arms were twisted and horses were traded. When enough votes were lined up the vote was taken and the clock re-started.

You couldn't make up a story like that.

miker
06-28-2006, 05:30 PM
A dark, frustrating time for me as a Sox fan, even if it has a "happy" ending.

Lip Man 1
06-28-2006, 05:33 PM
No. 2:

Actually in Chicago / Illinois where death never stopped anyone from voting...you probably could!

:D:

Da Mayor would have been proud!

Lip

Chez
06-29-2006, 08:48 AM
I remember staying up late and listening to the news reports on WBBM/780 on the progress of the vote wondering if I really was going to have to move to Tampa. Gov. Jim Thompson saved the day for us. He frequently sits one section away from me at the park and I always make it a point to thank him for keeping the Sox in Chicago.

Medford Bobby
06-29-2006, 08:55 AM
:smile: I was spending the summer of 1988 in Boulder, CO and was staying at a buddy's apartment and staying up til midnight with a radio picking up fuzzy Chicago radio (was it 670 or 780??) and hearing the the news that deal was struck.......:wink:

Tokes
06-29-2006, 08:56 AM
Would anybody start liking another team since they would be moving to Florida?

or

Would anybody move to Florida?

Dan Mega
06-29-2006, 09:27 AM
Of course you know the real story on that vote, which was far more interesting. Because of a provision in the state constitution, the measure required only a simple majority on June 30, but on July 1 would require a 3/5 majority. As midnight approached they didn't have the votes, so they took the simple expedient of unplugging the clock. There it stood at 11:59 for upwards of 20 minutes while arms were twisted and horses were traded. When enough votes were lined up the vote was taken and the clock re-started.

I heard this too. Scary just how close they got to moving the team.

GoSox2K3
06-29-2006, 09:38 AM
We came that close to wiping away all of our future memories: No Frank Thomas, no Robin Ventura, no '93 and '00 division title, no Paulie, no Buehrle, no Crede, and no world championship. :o:

Here in Chicago we'd be stuck with only a 98 year world series title drought. (shudder)

Zisk77
06-29-2006, 10:36 AM
Would anybody start liking another team since they would be moving to Florida?

or

Would anybody move to Florida?

I dunno, It would be hard to root for the St. Petersburg Sailors (They weren't becoming the Florida White Sox). Are there a lot of people in St. Louis that root for the Orioles? Washington that root of Texs or Minnesota?:?:

batmanZoSo
06-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Of course you know the real story on that vote, which was far more interesting. Because of a provision in the state constitution, the measure required only a simple majority on June 30, but on July 1 would require a 3/5 majority. As midnight approached they didn't have the votes, so they took the simple expedient of unplugging the clock. There it stood at 11:59 for upwards of 20 minutes while arms were twisted and horses were traded. When enough votes were lined up the vote was taken and the clock re-started.

The day time stood still. You gotta love Illinois politics.

At least out of that we got a park that everybody loved and appreciated. :rolleyes:

It's good that we finally saw a World Series and we can forget about all that (and so much other crap), leave it in the past.

CaptainBallz
06-29-2006, 11:28 AM

The last time something like that happened, young Billy Peltzer fed his wonderful new pets fried chicken, thinking that is was actually before midnight when, indeed, IT WAS NOT!!!

The chaos that ensued nearly ruined christmas that year in Kingston Falls.

Fortunately, the Sox didn't turn into green nasties and don't multiply during rain games.

MadetoOrta
06-29-2006, 11:33 AM
I went to bed crushed that the Sox were leaving town. I remember thinking my kids would grow up cub fans:(: and I would be left with becoming a Brewers fan. :o: I woke up ecstatic at the news. I too thank Gov. Thompson every time I see him. One time he did say "haven't you thanked me before?" I replied: "Get used to it Gov. My kids are die hard Sox fans. I shudder to think who they'd root for if you didn't make it happen." He laughed.

One strange thing I recall is then State Senator Jeremiah Joyce [die hard Sox fan and Mayor Daley confidant] voted NO and implored the others to vote no arguing that JR was too good a businessman to leave Chicago for Tampa.

I recall thinking that day meant the Sox were here to stay. Thank goodness.

MrRoboto83
06-29-2006, 04:27 PM
Perhaps if the Sox moved to Tampa, Chicago would of gotten the expansion team that was awarded to Tampa. The Chicago Devil Lake Rays.

Trav
06-29-2006, 05:18 PM
Stealing First In A Two Team Town has a great run down of the happenings on this night and Big Jim's wheeling and dealing.

DumpJerry
06-29-2006, 05:36 PM
What's my WSI name?:rolleyes:
Selig never threatened to move his team to get a new stadium.

AJTrenkle
06-29-2006, 10:51 PM
Theoretically Florida should have been a great baseball market. It's a huge state, relatively wealthy, and the demographics are good. True, a lot of retirees from the Northeast and all that but still, I think they would go to a local team too.

Problem is they have had a combination of poor facilities, and bad management.

Thank God the Sox stayed, but was JR really bluffing?

Trav
06-30-2006, 06:46 AM
What's my WSI name?:rolleyes:
Selig never threatened to move his team to get a new stadium.

Selig is the one who perfected the blackmailing.