PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Lee to the Cubs...? No way

Madvora
06-28-2006, 01:02 PM
From CBSSportsline.com's Rumor Mill section.
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/MLB_SC-RUMOR

Outfielder Carlos Lee told friends he would be interested in playing for the Cubs next season, the Chicago Tribune reports. However, Lee's asking price of five years, $75 million may be a bit steep for Chicago.

No way. He's too much of a Cub killer. I'd hate to see him over there. Don't you think a guy like this would be looking to get a winning team at this time in his career?

Tragg
06-28-2006, 01:04 PM
That asking price is a "bit steep" for anybody...by about 50%.

wdelaney72
06-28-2006, 01:06 PM
That's exactly, though, the type of stupid contract the Cubs would sign. Forget pitching, sign a HR hitter to keep filling the seats.

Ol' No. 2
06-28-2006, 01:06 PM
For heaven's sake. This is a boilerplate Cubs article that runs at least 20 times a year.
[insert any player's name here] has told friends he would be interested in playing for the Cubs.

DumpJerry
06-28-2006, 01:09 PM
He'll sign then have a season-ending injury on April 10th to live up to his Cub killer reputation.

Or he'll sign for the money reported and then a stud starter tells the Cubs he can't accept their low offer which cannot be raised because all the money went to CLee. Cub killa.

Rocky Soprano
06-28-2006, 01:11 PM
Who cares if he signs with the Cubs.
As long as he doesnt sign with someone in the AL Central Division, I could NOT care less.

Uncle_Patrick
06-28-2006, 01:11 PM
There's a similar article in the Tribune today.

Madvora
06-28-2006, 01:21 PM
There's a similar article in the Tribune today.
The Rumor Mill section pulls bits from newspaper articles. The quote mentions the Tribune.

Iwritecode
06-28-2006, 01:48 PM
For heaven's sake. This is a boilerplate Cubs article that runs at least 20 times a year.

Actually it's more like this:

[insert any player's name here] has told [insert any unreliable/unnamed source] he would be interested in playing for the Cubs.

bennyw41
06-28-2006, 01:50 PM
From CBSSportsline.com's Rumor Mill section.
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/MLB_SC-RUMOR

No way. He's too much of a Cub killer. I'd hate to see him over there. Don't you think a guy like this would be looking to get a winning team at this time in his career?

Isnt him being a cub-killer make it that more attractive to the Cubs and Lee? He can then play in wrigley half the year and have good numbers. I still think its a steep asking price.

SoxxoS
06-28-2006, 01:50 PM
I bet Thome wishes right now he was playing for them.

TheDarkGundam
06-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Rule #2: Don't trade within your own division

(Rule #1, FYI, Don't trade pitching if you're not getting pitching in return)

Jaffar
06-28-2006, 01:54 PM
Barrett is already publicly saying that the Cubs need to go after C.Lee, there has to be an article somewhere with the quotes but they had a sound bite on ESPN 1000.

Unregistered
06-28-2006, 01:57 PM

(Rule #1, FYI, Don't trade pitching if you're not getting pitching in return)It wouldn't be a trade. He's a FA after this season.

Iwritecode
06-28-2006, 02:02 PM
Isnt him being a cub-killer make it that more attractive to the Cubs and Lee? He can then play in wrigley half the year and have good numbers. I still think its a steep asking price.

But when he plays in Wrigley now he gets to face Cubs pitchers. That probably has more to do with him being a Cub-killer than the staduim...

samram
06-28-2006, 02:11 PM
But when he plays in Wrigley now he gets to face Cubs pitchers. That probably has more to do with him being a Cub-killer than the staduim...

Exactly. See: Jeff Blauser.

TheOldRoman
06-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Carlos Lee is a fat, lazy, selfish player. He would look perfect batting behind Aramis Ramirez. Moves like that will assure no trophies end up on the north side within the next 20 years. Signing Lee is not the move the Cubs need, but it is just the move they will make. Of course, the Trib will run articles about how he "wanted to play on the good side the whole time he was with the Sox, is thrilled to finally play infront of sold out home crowds, is happy to finally be on an organization commited to winning, etc." And of course, the Trib will say that the signing is embarrassing to the Sox, and the Cubs somehow one-upped them. Hangar will agree.:rolleyes:

Realist
06-28-2006, 02:34 PM

(Rule #1, FYI, Don't trade pitching if you're not getting pitching in return)

Thank God the M's forgot Rule #1 when Thornton for Borchard was brought up. Holy crap was that ever a steal.

Soxfanspcu11
06-28-2006, 02:35 PM
Carlos Lee is a fat, lazy, selfish player. He would look perfect batting behind Aramis Ramirez. Moves like that will assure no trophies end up on the north side within the next 20 years. Signing Lee is not the move the Cubs need, but it is just the move they will make. Of course, the Trib will run articles about how he "wanted to play on the good side the whole time he was with the Sox, is thrilled to finally play infront of sold out home crowds, is happy to finally be on an organization commited to winning, etc." And of course, the Trib will say that the signing is embarrassing to the Sox, and the Cubs somehow one-upped them. Hangar will agree.:rolleyes:

Carlos Lee may be fat, lazy and selfish, but so is Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz, Barry Bonds, Carlos Delgado, etc.

But when you can put up numbers like those guys, you can call them whatever. If the price is right, you HAVE to sign a guy like CLEE, IMHO.

MadetoOrta
06-28-2006, 02:46 PM
Wasn't it Rafael Furcal's dream to play for the Cubs? I hear the same refrain. Garbage. What it does is sooth the justifiably angry masses of cubs fans who want to actually see a winning team.

TheOldRoman
06-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Carlos Lee may be fat, lazy and selfish, but so is Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz, Barry Bonds, Carlos Delgado, etc.

But when you can put up numbers like those guys, you can call them whatever. If the price is right, you HAVE to sign a guy like CLEE, IMHO.
Carlos Lee's numbers are nowhere near as good at the guys you mentioned above.

sullythered
06-28-2006, 03:03 PM
The last thing the cubs need is a huge money big bat band aid. They need a full team turnover, with big pitching prospects coming back. It would be an enormous mistake to take on another big veteran contract.

I hope they sign CLee.:cool:

Soxfanspcu11
06-28-2006, 03:05 PM

Im not positive on this, but I'm pretty sure his average is better than Bonds, and Delgado and about the same as Manny's. No?

spiffie
06-28-2006, 03:13 PM
For comparison sake (avoiding Bonds since he's been injured the last 2 years, and adding a relevant recent FA):
Lee:
2005 - 265/324/487, 32 HR
2006 - 273/337/573, 25 HR

Ramirez:
2005 - 292/388/594, 45 HR
2006 - 302/436/603, 20 HR salary 18.33 million

Ortiz:
2005 - 300/397/604, 47 HR
2006 - 267/380/548, 22 HR salary 6.5 million

Delgado:
2005 - 301/399/582, 33 HR
2006 - 262/346/532, 21 HR salary 13.5 million

Konerko:
2005 - 283/375/534, 40 HR
2006 - 315/388/576, 19 HR salary 12 million

So we have a guy who hits a bit less than Konerko at a corner OF position. To me that's a guy worth maybe 11 million a year. If you're desperate for a power bat give him 12 or 12.5 million. But if he gets 5/75 then you know either A) The Yankees lost again this year or B) some team got really desperate to make a splash.

Jaffar
06-28-2006, 04:18 PM
The tribune does not care about championships they care about profits. Carlos Lee would be a perfect signing for them because he would put butts in seats to watch him and D.Lee (imagine where the cubune would go with that) hit balls out onto waveland.

Iwritecode
06-28-2006, 04:31 PM
The tribune does not care about championships they care about profits. Carlos Lee would be a perfect signing for them because he would put butts in seats to watch him and D.Lee (imagine where the cubune would go with that) hit balls out onto waveland.

Come see C. Lee and D. Lee at Wrigley!

bleh...

Ol' No. 2
06-28-2006, 04:40 PM
For comparison sake (avoiding Bonds since he's been injured the last 2 years, and adding a relevant recent FA):
Lee:
2005 - 265/324/487, 32 HR
2006 - 273/337/573, 25 HR

Ramirez:
2005 - 292/388/594, 45 HR
2006 - 302/436/603, 20 HR salary 18.33 million

Ortiz:
2005 - 300/397/604, 47 HR
2006 - 267/380/548, 22 HR salary 6.5 million

Delgado:
2005 - 301/399/582, 33 HR
2006 - 262/346/532, 21 HR salary 13.5 million

Konerko:
2005 - 283/375/534, 40 HR
2006 - 315/388/576, 19 HR salary 12 million

So we have a guy who hits a bit less than Konerko at a corner OF position. To me that's a guy worth maybe 11 million a year. If you're desperate for a power bat give him 12 or 12.5 million. But if he gets 5/75 then you know either A) The Yankees lost again this year or B) some team got really desperate to make a splash.LF is the easiest position to play - easier than 1B. Compared to other LF, C. Lee is average at best, defensively, which means he'd better bring some significant offense to the party. Compared with other LF, .275 and 30 HR is nothing special...and remember, those numbers are against NL pitching. No way I'd offer him $11M. Maybe $8M.

palehozenychicty
06-28-2006, 04:44 PM
LF is the easiest position to play - easier than 1B. Compared to other LF, C. Lee is average at best, defensively, which means he'd better bring some significant offense to the party. Compared with other LF, .275 and 30 HR is nothing special...and remember, those numbers are against NL pitching. No way I'd offer him $11M. Maybe $8M.

Exactly.

TheOldRoman
06-28-2006, 04:51 PM
LF is the easiest position to play - easier than 1B. Compared to other LF, C. Lee is average at best, defensively, which means he'd better bring some significant offense to the party. Compared with other LF, .275 and 30 HR is nothing special...and remember, those numbers are against NL pitching. No way I'd offer him $11M. Maybe $8M.
You are correct, except for your evaluation of his defense. He is bad, at best, but better than only Alfonso Soriano at worst.
This arguement just isn't fun without Hangar here. He would be telling us how LEE is so CLUTCH, the SOX traded him becuase they were CHEAP. They made their beds, now they will lie in them. Hehe:cool:"

SOXPHILE
06-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Oh, for God's sake, will the Cubune ever stop with this nonsense ? Every single year, they float some player's name, and say that "sources" have said he wants to come to the Cubs. This year, it's only June, and their season is already over. So, instead of doing this in September, or the offseason, they do it now. Stop it. Aren't there rules about blatantly tampering like this ? The guy is on another team, and still under contract.

sullythered
06-28-2006, 05:07 PM
Oh, for God's sake, will the Cubune ever stop with this nonsense ? Every single year, they float some player's name, and say that "sources" have said he wants to come to the Cubs. This year, it's only June, and their season is already over. So, instead of doing this in September, or the offseason, they do it now. Stop it. Aren't there rules about blatantly tampering like this ? The guy is on another team, and still under contract.
Good point. According to "sources," every good player in the last ten years is dying to play for the cubs.

Soxfanspcu11
06-28-2006, 05:53 PM
and remember, those numbers are against NL pitching. No way I'd offer him $11M. Maybe $8M.

I agree that the NL sucks, but didn't CLEE once play in the AL and put up some decent numbers??:?:

Iwritecode
06-28-2006, 06:04 PM
Aren't there rules about blatantly tampering like this ? The guy is on another team, and still under contract.

Those are the "benefits" of a major newspaper owning a baseball team.

Ol' No. 2
06-28-2006, 09:49 PM
I agree that the NL sucks, but didn't CLEE once play in the AL and put up some decent numbers??:?:Better than he's done in Milwaukee. Conclude from that what you like.

WhiteSoxFan84
06-28-2006, 09:58 PM
didnt i-rod tell "friends" AND ozzie guillen that he wanted to play for the cubs and they were his # 1 that offseason he was a free agent? and where did he end up? thatttt's right.

MadetoOrta
06-28-2006, 10:10 PM
Those are the "benefits" of a major newspaper owning a baseball team.

Yep. It's pathetic. Jiggetts was talking about it on his show. What gives? Anyhow, here's to bringing Hangar back from exile.

JB98
06-28-2006, 10:48 PM

Sometime last offseason, the Cubune reported that CLee wanted to come to the Cubs in order to "stick it to" KW and Ozzie. Yeah, I guess he'll show us by signing with the Cubs. Nevermind that we won the freakin' World Series the year after we unloaded his ass.

Steelrod
06-29-2006, 01:49 AM
Sometime last offseason, the Cubune reported that CLee wanted to come to the Cubs in order to "stick it to" KW and Ozzie. Yeah, I guess he'll show us by signing with the Cubs. Nevermind that we won the freakin' World Series the year after we unloaded his ass.
Maybe, but this way Jim Belushi and John Cusack will be his fans! Doesn't get any better.

Hitmen77
06-29-2006, 08:05 AM
Yep. It's pathetic. Jiggetts was talking about it on his show. What gives? Anyhow, here's to bringing Hangar back from exile.

I believe that Hangar's exile is self-imposed at this point. His ban was lifted a couple of weeks ago.

Uncle_Patrick
06-29-2006, 08:31 AM
http://www.sun-times.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-csep29.html

Michael Barrett is now making a push for the Cubs obtaining Carlos Lee.

Anyhow, here's to bringing Hangar back from exile.
Hangar has a new home over at SoxTalk and it doesn't sound like he's too eager to come back here. SoxTalk put an end to his Media Watch, though, so maybe he'll change his mind.

Vince
06-29-2006, 08:55 AM
I remember having a discussion with a Cubs fan friend about C. Lee. I think he'd be perfect for the Cubs - a selfish, middling-defense corner outfielder who would put up good numbers in Wrigley (remind you of anyone?). I don't much care if he plays for them as long as he is not in the AL Central.

Last year I read some article about C. Lee about how he was loving it up in Milwaukee compared to being on the Sox. At the time the Sox were well on the march toward the playoffs and the Brewers were around .500. It put some perspective on the C. Lee trade -- he sounded happier being adored on a losing/average team. He complained about how on the White Sox he was "just another player."

Frater Perdurabo
06-29-2006, 08:58 AM
Carlos Lee would be the perfect Cub. He would hit lots of meaningless homers in blowout losses (or very infrequent blowout wins). His defensive liabilities would not be quite so exposed in the little-league sized outfield. He wouldn't have problems hitting the cutoff man on the fly from the 364-foot sign in left-center. He's really not a winner, but he'll hit lots of long ones to wow the masses. He'll start to aim for the Sandberg basket on every swing. He might hit 50 homers playing at the Urinal, but he'll strike out 150 times and his average will drop.

Of course, Cub fans think he'd be the answer to what ails them (just like Fred McGriff, Candy Moldonado, Glenallen Hill, Moises Alou and 20 years of Cubs left fielders were supposed to be the answer). But their real problem is an inability to get runners on base, move them over, and drive them home. Juan Pierre is not what they had expected, but of course most of the fans are just too stupid to realize it. Corpseball has moved eight miles north.

Actually, the Yankees probably will acquire him if the Brewers continue to tank.

russ99
06-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Actually, I could see this happening. Carlos has told some friends that he'd like to play for the Cubs. He'd do reasonably well there, but I hope he stays in Milwaukee.

The one rumor that's completely overblown scrub fantasy (as usual) is that there's any chance in h*ll that Barry Zito would even consider playing for the Cubs. First, he'd prefer to go to a contender, which the Cubs would never be considered in 2007 regardless of whichever green weed you're smoking.

Second, if there's one thing that Cubs management has shown in the last 10 years it's a complete lack of stepping up to the plate and overbidding on a player. There's no need to as long as the lemmings keep showing up at the Urinal. Plus, who'd want to pitch in that windblown bandbox.

Zito will go to the Yanks, Red Sox, Mets, Dodgers or Angels, whoever tosses the biggest barrel full of money at him.

Sorry, rant over. :D:

samram
06-29-2006, 11:46 AM
Actually, I could see this happening. Carlos has told some friends that he'd like to play for the Cubs.

I think everyone tells their friends they would like to play for the Cubs- and then they all have a hearty chuckle.

List of guys who have told "friends" (imaginary friends of sportswriters) they want to play for the Cubs (feel free to add):

1. Jim Thome
2. Scott Rolen
3. Ivan Rodriguez
4. Magglio Ordonez
5. Roberto Clemente
6. Stan Musial
7. Ted Williams
8. Mel Ott
9. Joe "Ducky" Medwick
10. The entire "Gashouse Gang"
11. Lou Gehrig

MVP
06-29-2006, 12:45 PM

Exactly.

ComiskeyBrewer
06-29-2006, 11:33 PM
http://www.sun-times.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-csep29.html

Michael Barrett is now making a push for the Cubs obtaining Carlos Lee.

Isn't that Borderline tampering? Either way, i don't want him signed for more than 2 years, at the most(if at all, i wouldn't mind a trade for a pitcher), the Brewers have very good outfielders that could easily take his place and put up similar numbers(to his career norms, not this year).

chisoxmike
06-29-2006, 11:38 PM
:rolleyes:

The Brewers are 4 1/2 games out of the NL Central. They trail a team that is free falling right now in a wide open race at the end of June. They have their pitchers that are on the DL coming back soon, C. Lee is staying for at least the rest of the season. End of story. I would be shocked if he is traded this season and it would be a gutless and cowardly move by the Brewers that if made should make any Brewers fan angry.