PDA

View Full Version : Getting autographs by mail

Tokes
06-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Just started to do this and only got one reply so far. Anyone have any good sources? Where can I find some addresses. I heard that when Spring Training is going on, you send your requests to the camp facility and you get good responses. I've talked to a couple guys who got Thome's and Vasqueze's this past spring.

CashMan
06-28-2006, 01:54 PM
How old are you? Why would you not want to get an autograph in person?

lizard6king6
06-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Just started to do this and only got one reply so far. Anyone have any good sources? Where can I find some addresses. I heard that when Spring Training is going on, you send your requests to the camp facility and you get good responses. I've talked to a couple guys who got Thome's and Vasqueze's this past spring.

I made a thread about this awhile back and I still mail things to players. I of course want to meet them in person but sometimes its hard to do that. In the past Ive sent it to the stadiums themselves adressed to the player on the front. I recieved back from Rowand, Patrick Roy, Chipper Jones, and a few others I cant remember.
http://www.mlb-teams.com/team_add.php

I think these adresses are right. Good luck

VenturaSoxFan23
06-28-2006, 02:14 PM
I used to do this myself years ago. The earlier you write in and ask, the better your chances are of getting a response. The longer the season goes, the less likely you'll get something in return. The bigger-name the player, the longer and less likely you'll get anything. (I'm sure a little knowledge in basic Spanish can help you out with some of the guys.)

I know you may be talking about the White Sox, but I had a bigger goal.

In 1993 & 94, I was writing every major league team just to ask if they have any promotional items they were giving away locally that a far-away fan could have. I wanted to collect schedules. (I could get a Sox & Cubs schedule easily here.) Some teams sent me more than I expected; other teams didn't even write back.

I can say I'm a proud owner of the first two schedules from the expansion Marlins & Rockies.

San Diego sent me a whole bunch of stuff. Toronto treated me well. Houston was the best; sent me like 10 schedules, a few stickers, a little fan's guide and some player postcards. I have all the stickers on my mom's manual Sears typewriter.

The funniest and strangest reponse I ever got was from the NBA front office. I wrote the commissioner and bitched him out about how the fight Michael Jordan started didn't get as much as a slap on the wrist for him, yet a couple of other players got 5 days for joining in the fray. Plus, there was rumors the Grand Rapids Hoops of the CBA (still a "farm system" for the NBA back then) was going to move to Merrillville, IN. I got a letter back from Deputy Commish Rod Thorn explaining everything in full detail ("We have no idea about the status of the Grand Rapids Hoops CBA team."), plus a bumper sticker from the Basketball Hall of Fame.

I still have the letter somewhere. I'll have to dig it up.

Edit: Oh yeah, don't send two different players in the same envelope. I did that with a Jamie Moyer & Greg Maddux rookie and addressed the letter to both in 1988. (I ran out of envelopes.) Moyer signed his card and sent the Maddux back.

Nelson Foxtrot
06-29-2006, 07:50 PM
Just send to current players at the stadium, don't include more than two-three things to be signed, write a nice short letter, include a self-addressed stamped envelope, and you should get a decent return rate. If you're looking beyond the Sox, don't write to the Yankees, Phillies, or huge superstars.

I've been thinking of this myself, primarily to get signatures of all the players from certain memorable/championship teams to mat and frame with a team photo. Looks really nice, no worrying about smudged signatures over each other on a ball, much cheaper than autograph shows, more convenient than trying to catch them at the park, and can still have a team piece involving signatures of any players who have passed on. I just feel uncomfortable writing to players though. No matter how many fifty-year old guys I find doing this, it still makes me think of a young girl writing to George Clooney about how dreamy he is.

travelinman89
06-29-2006, 09:46 PM
I found this website with a bunch of player's addresses on it: http://www.baseball-resources.com/ . I've sent out about 20+ letters and have only gotten back from Bo Jackson, Bobby Thomson, and Goose Gossage. Bo jackson sends an autographed picture.

Clembasbal
06-29-2006, 10:13 PM
SO I am interested in this, for my wife's sake...anyway

How do you write the letter? Do you say, "Oh Scotty Pods you rock! Can I have an auto on this card I sent?"

Just wondering how you ask these gents for their signature.

Thanks

QCIASOXFAN
06-30-2006, 01:26 AM
I sent out a card for David Robinson to sign when I was in 5th grade. Time passes and noting ever come back from him and I finally forget about it. When I was in 9th grade I got home and checked the mail and saw I had a little package. Sure enough it was the long lost Robinson card I had sent out 4 years earlier. Better late than never I guess. I sent out a few others but never got them back. My uncle sent a card or something 2 years ago for Scott Skiles to sign and he said that within less than a week he got a signed picture back along with a nice letter. So in my knowledge and personal experience you never know what is going to happen.

MikeW
06-30-2006, 08:29 PM
I spent many years writing to players,but the best success I had was with retired ones. Wrote to several hundred ex Sox players and I got back about
90 percent of them. Current players are a crap shoot. Good Luck