PDA

View Full Version : Joe Cowley?

RKMeibalane
06-28-2006, 01:16 PM
This can't be the same guy, can it?

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/joe_cowley_autograph.jpg

Frater Perdurabo
06-28-2006, 01:19 PM
Although I've never seen the two together in the same room, I'm virtually certain they are two different guys. The Cowley on the card above actually played for the Sox in 1986, going 11-11 with a 3.88 ERA.

PalehosePlanet
06-28-2006, 01:27 PM
No it's not. Cowely the writer started in Cleveland, then worked for the Southtown.

BTW, Joe Cowley's last major league win was his no-hitter. He could not find the strike zone the following year, ended up in the ninors, got super frustrated and quit baseball. I think we had already traded him to the ...Phillies was it? Sad...

Also, after the no-hitter, the Sox players teased him by calling him 'No' instead of 'No-No' because he gave up a run.

RichFitztightly
06-29-2006, 02:39 PM
The writer and the player are two different people. Cowley the writer addressed this in a column 2 years ago when he got a ton of hate mail from Toronto fans for not casting an MVP vote for Delgado (I think? -- though I forget the player).

Brian26
06-29-2006, 09:58 PM
This can't be the same guy, can it?

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/joe_cowley_autograph.jpg

It's not the same guy.

StillMissOzzie
06-30-2006, 12:22 AM
Also, after the no-hitter, the Sox players teased him by calling him 'No' instead of 'No-No' because he gave up a run.

I believe it was "Doctor No", but you've got the reason correct.

SMO
:D:

TDog
06-30-2006, 03:22 AM

I was listening to the California Angels radio broadcast. Weird game, full of once-and-future Sox, with Kirk McCaskill starting tor the Angels and Terry Forster adding a gas can to a seventh-inning rally that put the game away. Cowley was in trouble with 7 walks and even loaded the bases to start one inning, only giving up a sacrifice fly on a nasty drive hit by Reggie Jackson for the run. The game ended with a double play, a grounder hit to Ozzie Guillen.

Joe Cowley may have been the single most irritating pitcher I've ever seen in a Sox uniform. He also set a Sox team record for K's at the beginning of a game. On a May night in 1986, he struck out the first 7 Rangers before a fly out broke the string and a single by the No. 9 hitter ruined his no-hit bid. He ended up with 8 for the game. Joe "K" Cowley couldn't get out of the bottom of the fifth. The Sox were losing 6-3 by the time Gene Nelson finished the inning, and no one scored the rest of the way.

Like Scott Ruffcorn a decade later, Cowley went to the Phillies after the season and never won a game for them.