PDA

View Full Version : At which North Side bar should Sox fans gather Friday?

WWE Champion
06-28-2006, 11:26 AM
Taking a cue from the other thread, let's get a vote going for some Friday morning and afternoon (and evening?) fun. All the bars mentioned in the other thread are available in the poll.

Which bar?

DumpJerry
06-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Union Park is south of Madison, not a North Side joint.

Why does it have to be a north side bar?

BTW, Monks downtown (Wells and Lake) had a great gathering last year for WSI during game 3 of the ALDS.

jenn2080
06-28-2006, 11:42 AM
isnt the game going to be over by the time most of us get out of work>?

Chip Z'nuff
06-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Why not go south? I have never heard of a cub bar on the south side, why should we expect the latter? Let them be, it's got to be tough being a cub fan, what good will come out of you stomping through their bars?

DumpJerry
06-28-2006, 11:44 AM
The game ended April 2nd. What will take place this weekend is a mere formality required by MLB to satisfy contractual obligations to their sponsors. :D:

WWE Champion
06-28-2006, 11:52 AM
Not everybody works 9 to 5, Monday through Friday ...

WWE Champion
06-28-2006, 11:53 AM
Why not go south? I have never heard of a cub bar on the south side, why should we expect the latter? Let them be, it's got to be tough being a cub fan, what good will come out of you stomping through their bars?
Because this thread is for North Side Sox fans who want to get togehter and watch the game. Hence the easiest place to go is somewhere on the North Side.

batmanZoSo
06-28-2006, 12:01 PM

We get out of work at about 1 because of the game. A reward for last month's efforts. And I work walking distance from Union Park, but I already have something going on at my place for the game.

Chip Z'nuff
06-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Because this thread is for North Side Sox fans who want to get togehter and watch the game. Hence the easiest place to go is somewhere on the North Side.
Well I guess you can go to any of those bars and stir up trouble OR you can get on the train head south with the rest of us.
Besides why would you want to give your money to those establishments anyway? They were built with cubby blue money.

skottyj242
06-28-2006, 12:34 PM
I'll be at Quigley's after the game I'm sure.

DumpJerry
06-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Well I guess you can go to any of those bars and stir up trouble OR you can get on the train head south with the rest of us.
Besides why would you want to give your money to those establishments anyway? They were built with cubby blue money.
Seven Ten is owned by Sox fans. I was there for game 5 of the ALCS.

kninchicago
06-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Because I'm moving this Sunday (to the North Side no less, Rogers Park), every free minute of my time till then is consumed with packing, so I can't make it.

I do wish there were Sox bars on the north side though, I don't see why there shouldn't be. I mean, people want the Sox to be Chicago's team, right? Enough of the whole North side=cubs, South=Sox thing. Just because I live on a street preceded by N. doesn't mean I suddenly like ****ty baseball.

peeonwrigley
06-28-2006, 12:58 PM
We get out of work at about 1 because of the game. A reward for last month's efforts. And I work walking distance from Union Park, but I already have something going on at my place for the game.

Well I guess we're meeting at Batman's place.

Honestly, it sucks because I'd love to go and enjoy the game at a bar but I have to keep studying hard for the damn CPA exam (first part is July 5th). I cannot wait until I take the last part August 2nd.

Chip Z'nuff
06-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Because I'm moving this Sunday (to the North Side no less, Rogers Park), every free minute of my time till then is consumed with packing, so I can't make it.

I do wish there were Sox bars on the north side though, I don't see why there shouldn't be. I mean, people want the Sox to be Chicago's team, right? Enough of the whole North side=cubs, South=Sox thing. Just because I live on a street preceded by N. doesn't mean I suddenly like ****ty baseball.
Here's how I see it, if you support the sox, then you support their home, the south side. Find a bar in Bridgeport to gather spend your money here so we have the necessary funds available to make the streetscapes nicer to attract more fans.

awed81
06-28-2006, 01:23 PM

Just because some Sox fans live on the north side doesnt mean we should be banished from going out in our neighborhoods to cheer for our team, and our proximity to wrigley field shouldnt determine what team we root for. Refusing to support your team out in public away from the southside bars is part of the reason why Chicago is considered a Cubs town anyway. Sox Pride should be invading all parts of the city, not just the southside.

jenn2080
06-28-2006, 01:24 PM
AMEN But who the hell wants to go to a bar near Wrigley(meaning anywhere on Clark or Sheffield) when teh game is going on. It will be a mad house.

Chip Z'nuff
06-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Just because some Sox fans live on the north side doesnt mean we should be banished from going out in our neighborhoods to cheer for our team, and our proximity to wrigley field shouldnt determine what team we root for. Refusing to support your team out in public away from the southside bars is part of the reason why Chicago is considered a Cubs town anyway. Sox Pride should be invading all parts of the city, not just the southside.

Are you sure the reason is you don't want to be around us lowly southsiders?

kninchicago
06-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Here's how I see it, if you support the sox, then you support their home, the south side. Find a bar in Bridgeport to gather spend your money here so we have the necessary funds available to make the streetscapes nicer to attract more fans.

While that's a fine sentiment and I do see your point, at times it's just not realistic for me to travel an hour on public transportation to go to a bar every time I feel like going out to watch the game. And driving + going to a bar = a no-no of course.

ChiSox Fan 68
06-28-2006, 01:35 PM
We're just looking for a place around Wrigley to stop for a beer or two before and after the game on Friday. It makes more sense for us to stick around there. I voted for Sluggers.

havelj
John Barleycorn's Wrigleyville?

MAC, JURKO & HARRY will be there from 3pm-7pm.

Chip Z'nuff
While that's a fine sentiment and I do see your point, at times it's just not realistic for me to travel an hour on public transportation to go to a bar every time I feel like going out to watch the game. And driving + going to a bar = a no-no of course.

for a game against KC I'm with ya.

Jose.Contreras
06-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Again, I go to Sluggers all the time. I live 1 block away. I know everytone who works there and a lot of the regulars. I can tell you that there are plenty of Sox fans that hang there. And I can name a handful of their own staff who actively root for the Sox. You will see some of the bartenders wearing Sox gear come Friday. I'll be there before the game. Once the game starts I will be planted directly behind homeplate I will NOT be on my cell phone waving to the camera. Ugh, the fans who do that are a friggin' joke!!

kninchicago
06-28-2006, 01:40 PM
for a game against KC I'm with ya.

Haha, exactly. I'm not asking for a North Side takeover, just a few places would be cool. Don't even have to be by Wrigley--personally I'd rather just leave Wrigleyville to the Cub fans but that's just MO.

awed81
06-28-2006, 01:51 PM
I'm so tired of people telling me i can't promote my sox-fan-dom because I just so happen to live in wrigleyville. I can't put a sox flag in my window, b/c someone will throw a rock through it, or i can't put a sox decal on my car, b/c someone will take a piss on it or key it. Since when did Sox fans succomb to cub fans anyway? Arent we supposed to be the tough guys? I voted for Sluggers. I'm not afraid to kick 'em while they're down, ya know? Screw the Cubs.
:bandance:

Deuce
06-28-2006, 01:55 PM
If you are going to the Northside to watch a game, go to a Sox friendly place like Duffy's. Why patron a place where you are not catered to, or wouldn't want to be welcome in? Cubs friendly = unfriendly, IMHO. I'd rather celebrate among friends, in a place where my presence is preferred.

Deuce

Jose.Contreras
06-28-2006, 02:02 PM
I'm so tired of people telling me i can't promote my sox-fan-dom because I just so happen to live in wrigleyville. I can't put a sox flag in my window, b/c someone will throw a rock through it, or i can't put a sox decal on my car, b/c someone will take a piss on it or key it. Since when did Sox fans succomb to cub fans anyway? Arent we supposed to be the tough guys? I voted for Sluggers. I'm not afraid to kick 'em while they're down, ya know? Screw the Cubs.
:bandance:

I have White Sox decals on my car and I park on the street on Cornelia and Seminary Daily. No one has done a single thing to my car. It's totally safe there. I think Cub fans aren't really much fans at all. All those people are tourists, visiting Wrigley for their first time or maybe for an annual visit. And yes, Sluggers is the place to go. good choice.

DumpJerry
06-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Well, it turns out I'll be at a bar located at 1060 W. Addison. Right behind First Base so I can cheer on Paulie or Jim.