PDA

View Full Version : With a win tonight....

SOXPHILE
06-28-2006, 11:39 AM
The Sox will have the exact same record as they did at this time last year. Last night's victory over the Pirates was their 50th win. Last year, they won their 50th game against the Cubs on Friday, June 24th at U.S. Cellular, before dropping the next two. Had an off day on Monday the 27th, and then went and won their 51st game in Detroit. It was thrilling 2-1 victory, in which Dustin Hermanson gave up a lead off triple to Ivan Rodriguez in the bottom of the 9th, and then retired the next 3 batters, leaving him standing on third. Keep it up guys...:cool:

oeo
06-28-2006, 11:42 AM
What's amazing is I don't think they have played as well as they did last year. I mean, last year, they were doing everything right. They have gotten subpar pitching and inconsistent defense all year, and that's what they need to stay hot, even if the lineup is killing the ball. They're going to run away with the division when the Tigers tire, and they will tire.

LuvSox
06-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Good to know. If only Detroit had the same record as last year. :smile:

Dan Mega
06-28-2006, 11:44 AM
I agree. If the Sox played up to their potential as they did last year, they'd be 5 games ahead of Detroit right now.

Huisj
06-28-2006, 11:46 AM
I agree. If the Sox played up to their potential as they did last year, they'd be 5 games ahead of Detroit right now.

At the same time, they are on pace for something like 106 or 107 wins this year, and that's pretty darn awesome if that's considered not playing up to their potential. Nobody wins every game.

BeefyD
06-28-2006, 11:47 AM
It IS amazing, seeing as the way we look at this team compared to last year. I think last year, our jaws were still on the floor like "I can't believe the way we're playing", and now, we're disappointed when we don't sweep someone. What a difference a trophy makes :D: . Although, we were also enjoying an 8-10 game lead at about this point, whereas now, we're just a wild card leader.

My thought is that Detroit, having a season much like ours last year, will slow down a bit in August (.500 ball), where the Sox will continue playing 8 out of 10 ball and regain the lead...

Tokes
06-28-2006, 11:49 AM
man I wish Dustin was back. We could really use him. And even though they aren't as good as last year, we do have the second best record in the MLB. Can't complain too much about that. We just need the Tigers to lose some.

voodoochile
06-28-2006, 11:55 AM
At the same time, they are on pace for something like 106 or 107 wins this year, and that's pretty darn awesome if that's considered not playing up to their potential. Nobody wins every game.

Agreed and this year's team is more slump proof, IMO, because of the enhanced offensive capability.

Brian26
06-28-2006, 12:00 PM
The Sox will have the exact same record as they did at this time last year.

This is not really true though.

The current Sox record is 50-26. With a win, they would be 51-26 (two more losses than last year at this time). So, 1.0 games off the pace.

Last year:
June 26, the Sox were 50-24
June 27 was an off day
June 28, 51-24
June 29, 52-24
June 30, 53-24
July 1, 53-25
July 2, 54-25
July 3, 54-26

The '05 team didn't get their 26 loss until July 3.

caulfield12
06-28-2006, 12:15 PM
Meanwhile, the Yankees are 6.5 games back and Cano just went on the DL.

Obviously, they will make some move at the deadline (Carlos Lee?), but it looks like Boston has the clear advantage for now. How good would Boston be with B. Arroyo pitching the way he has for Cincy this season?

Frater Perdurabo

It's weird to write this in June, but with 13 games remaining with Detroit, THE SOX CONTROL THEIR OWN DESTINY.

Theoretically, the Sox *could* fall 12 games behind the Tigers, but then make up that ground by sweeping the Tigers. Of course that's a ridiculuous scenario, but I don't expect the Tigers to open up a 12-game lead on the Sox, either. If they win tonight, as the first poster mentioned, they would have the exact same record as one year ago. It took six solid weeks of .500 ball in August and September to bring them down to the point where they "only" won 99 games. Say the Sox win 99 games again. Does anyone really think the Tigers are going to win 111 games?

Stay reasonably close, then pounce on them when they struggle (as they inevitably will) and/or beat up on them in the head-to-head games.

SOXPHILE
This is not really true though.

The current Sox record is 50-26. With a win, they would be 51-26 (two more losses than last year at this time). So, 1.0 games off the pace.

Last year:
June 26, the Sox were 50-24
June 27 was an off day
June 28, 51-24
June 29, 52-24
June 30, 53-24
July 1, 53-25
July 2, 54-25
July 3, 54-26

The '05 team didn't get their 26 loss until July 3.

Whoops ! Acutally, I knew that.:redface: What I should have said/meant to say, was they would have the same number of wins as last year. Beat the hell out of the Pirates and Cubs the next 5 days, and they'll be ahead of schedule.

salty99
06-28-2006, 12:16 PM
Politte shoudl be back tonight

Chez
06-28-2006, 12:19 PM
[quote=Frater Perdurabo] THE SOX CONTROL THEIR OWN DESTINY.

I hate to get existential on you Frater, but "destiny" can't be controlled. That's the whole concept of destiny -- it's predetermined. But let's crush the Tigers anyway.

DumpJerry
06-28-2006, 12:20 PM
man I wish Dustin was back. We could really use him. And even though they aren't as good as last year, we do have the second best record in the MLB. Can't complain too much about that. We just need the Tigers to lose some.
Only if his back is alright. It's been a long time since he has faced major league hitters, so let's not get too wistful for Hermy.

Regarding the Arroyo comment, you cannot say he would be having as good of year with Boston this year as he is with Cincy. Cincy is in the National League and, as we have noticed in the last few weeks, the National League is inferior to the American League. Apples and automobiles.

Chicken Dinner
06-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Last year means nothing in the 2006 season. Last year we weren't in a dog fight for the division. Last year we were the team going wire to wire, not our motor city opponents. There's a lot of games to be played (not even half way yet) and we have a team that will keep fighting until the end.

hawkjt
06-28-2006, 12:25 PM
The sox went to 61-29 last year. They need to go 11-3 in their next 14 to get to that number.

The tigers will end up with 95 wins if they go .500 the rest of the way.
The sox may need to win 100 games to beat the tigers.

Personally , I think last year at this point they were playing great ball but the offense definitely struggled. Clearly this year they have hit much better.

I do not agree that they have not hit their stride this year. I think the pitching has just come back to their norm this year and they have hit the ball much better.

I just think they have played every bit as good overall this year as last and again have been blessed with good health. This is as good as this team can play and that is pretty damn good.

This will be a dogfight with the tigers and twins to the last weekend and we are in minny for those games. That saturday game on the last weekend at minny is not televised and it may be one of the biggest games of the season.
Gosh darn dome and gophers.

Frater Perdurabo
06-28-2006, 12:26 PM
THE SOX CONTROL THEIR OWN DESTINY.

I hate to get existential on you Frater, but "destiny" can't be controlled. That's the whole concept of destiny -- it's predetermined. But let's crush the Tigers anyway.

Yes, I agree on spiritual/philosophical grounds. Let's not take this into Roadhouse territory, though. The point is that all the Sox have to do is keep winning games and beat the Tigers. All Detroit has to do is keep winning games and beat us. So far, we lead 5-1. Who here thinks the Sox are going to roll over and die for Detroit?
:gulp:

Zisk77
06-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Politte shoudl be back tonight

Yes but which Cliff will be back? I hope its last year's. It was so painful watching him stuggle early this year. Seems like a nice guy.

slobes
06-28-2006, 02:06 PM
Yes but which Cliff will be back? I hope its last year's. It was so painful watching him stuggle early this year. Seems like a nice guy.

Last year he was absolutely lights out. I believe his ERA was under 2.00. This year though, I seem to get nervous every time he's on the mound. Hopefully the time he spent on the DL helped him regain his 2005 form.

Hitmen77
06-28-2006, 03:04 PM
I do not agree that they have not hit their stride this year. I think the pitching has just come back to their norm this year and they have hit the ball much better.

I just think they have played every bit as good overall this year as last and again have been blessed with good health. This is as good as this team can play and that is pretty damn good.

This will be a dogfight with the tigers and twins to the last weekend and we are in minny for those games. That saturday game on the last weekend at minny is not televised and it may be one of the biggest games of the season.

I disagree. I expect better defense than we have seen at times this year. Poor defense has cost us a few games this year - enough to probably put us ahead of Detroit at this point. This includes not just errors, but failure to turn double plays. I also expect better bullpen performance than we saw earlier this year. I think the bullpen has solidified over the past month.

I think the starting pitching has hit more rough patches than career norms would have foretold. Seems like all the starters are running higher pitch counts early in the games - which leads to them getting tired or getting pulled earlier.

Not pitching/defense related, but I also expect Uribe and Anderson to NOT hit below the Mendoza line in the 2nd half. Actually, this is somewhat related because BA hitting at least .200 means him playing CF every day, which means better defense, which means better pitching.

Hitmen77
06-28-2006, 03:08 PM
....I think one area where the Sox have a big potential upside is if Garland and Vazquez can settle down and show some consistency. At worst, they will continue at their current pace of being great one game and then getting rocked the next game. But, they each have the potential to be much, much better.

This is the big question mark for the Sox. We really don't know if these guys will show more consistency. But, they both have the talent and ability to really be dominating if they can get their act together.

Deuce
06-28-2006, 03:31 PM
The tigers will end up with 95 wins if they go .500 the rest of the way. The sox may need to win 100 games to beat the tigers.Or they can continue to clobber the Tiggers in head-to-head matchups and clean their clocks the old fashioned way. I worry not.

Kogs35
06-28-2006, 03:39 PM

actually if the sox lobby'd to mlb like the yankees just did the game would be on tv during fox's exclusive window

BeviBall!
06-28-2006, 05:56 PM
It was thrilling 2-1 victory, in which Dustin Hermanson gave up a lead off triple to Ivan Rodriguez in the bottom of the 9th, and then retired the next 3 batters, leaving him standing on third. Keep it up guys...

I so remember that game. With Ivan barking into the Sox dugout after he reached third... then the bench barking back after Herm got the next three out.

digdagdug23
06-28-2006, 07:08 PM
Last year means nothing in the 2006 season. Last year we weren't in a dog fight for the division. Last year we were the team going wire to wire, not our motor city opponents. There's a lot of games to be played (not even half way yet) and we have a team that will keep fighting until the end.

I don't think you meant it to sound this way, but the Tigs have not gone wire-to-wire from the beginning to now. That's the biggest flaw in the system, had the tigs beaten us all the games we have played them thus far, I might think them the worthy opponent they appear to be. They are canning the same teams we did, and had it not been for some rather questionable pitching by Vasquez, we would and should have swept the stros. I have said it before, and it is worth repeating. Let's just see where we are come September. You just never know what each game brings, hence the reason they actually play them. :D:

miker
06-28-2006, 07:11 PM
[quote=Frater Perdurabo] THE SOX CONTROL THEIR OWN DESTINY.

How about the Sox are MASTERS OF THEIR DOMAIN?