PDA

View Full Version : When Will Det Lose?

AuroraSoxFan
06-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Is it me or does it seem like these guys will not lose a game the rest of the damn year? I know probability indicates they gotta come back to reality sometime. It has just been irking me. Seems like every time they're about to tank one they pull it out with some late runs. I know most everyone has been rolling the NL in interleague. KC even has a winning record on them. I guess we'll have no choice but to beat them silly head to head at this rate.

CaptainBallz
06-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Is it me or does it seem like these guys will not lose a game the rest of the damn year? I know probability indicates they gotta come back to reality sometime. It has just been irking me. Seems like every time they're about to tank one they pull it out with some late runs. I know most everyone has been rolling the NL in interleague. KC even has a winning record on them. I guess we'll have no choice but to beat them silly head to head at this rate.

Probability will just have to prevail at some point. All the Sox can do now is win the games they're supposed to win (*cough* Padres/Cubs *cough*) and make sure they spank the tigers when they face them. The rest is out of their hands.

IlliniSox
06-28-2006, 10:29 AM
The upcoming series vs. the Kitties will be the most exciting ones for me since 2000 when the Sox were trying to end the Tribe's decade of AL Central titles. 7/18 it all starts, can't wait.

AuroraSoxFan
06-28-2006, 10:30 AM
The upcoming series vs. the Kitties will be the most exciting ones for me since 2000 when the Sox were trying to end the Tribe's decade of AL Central titles. 7/18 it all starts, can't wait.

That sure will be HUGE. Is that a 4 gamer?

Medford Bobby
06-28-2006, 10:30 AM
:(: Boy that really seems to be the trend here. When a team is this hot, a long losing streak seems impossible. When the Tigers do lose like 4 in a row, the Sox have to stay hot to gain ground. At least if both teams lose we don't lose any ground.......:angry:

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Interleague doesn't help us with the Tigers playing all our fallout victims. The Tigers need some more AL Central matchups with the Sox and Twinkies, then they need a decent helping of the Yankees and Red Sox. I am kinda hoping the ASG break takes the wind out of their sails.

jenn2080
06-28-2006, 10:34 AM
Man I hope they lose soon. I am tired of that team. They have been looking solid and it does not seem like anyone can beat them except us. Everything has been in their favor. There pitching has been looking great esp The Gambler Kenny Rogers. Hopefully they wont hold out much longer.

MadetoOrta
06-28-2006, 10:37 AM
We sound like Cleveland fans last year. As I've said many times before, look at this as a golf tournament. We're right where we need to be. Who is more likely to triple bogey down the stretch? I'm probably in the minority here but as long as we get into the playoffs, I'm good. We'll take care of business at that point. Today, we're 6.5 up on the Wild Card.

AuroraSoxFan
06-28-2006, 10:47 AM
We sound like Cleveland fans last year. As I've said many times before, look at this as a golf tournament. We're right where we need to be. Who is more likely to triple bogey down the stretch? I'm probably in the minority here but as long as we get into the playoffs, I'm good. We'll take care of business at that point. Today, we're 6.5 up on the Wild Card.

That's a good point. I also think we should be fresher down the stretch since our bench guys have been getting some major playing time. I just can't wait to play them head to head and settle the thing that way.

Hitmen77
06-28-2006, 10:56 AM
You may as well forget about any AL rival losing until Interleague play is over. Until July 3, it's up to the Sox to not screw up by losing to bad teams because I really see everyone else in the AL winning through the weekend.

I think the Tigers are for real and will be in the race 'til the end, but I'd like to point out that they have gotten breaks on pitching matchups. Against the Astros, they get to miss Oswalt. Against the Cards, they missed Reyes. Against the Cubs, they avoided Zambrano and Maddux. All pitchers we had to face. Against Cleveland, we got the Tribe's top starters while the Tigers got the back end of their rotation.

....and yet, we're only 2 game out.

Chicken Dinner
06-28-2006, 11:11 AM
The last time the Tigers went on a losing streak so did we. It's all about the head to heads.

salty99
06-28-2006, 11:12 AM
They will never lose again this season. They are the best team of ALL-TIME!

DumpJerry
06-28-2006, 11:15 AM
We still have 13 games left with them and, so far, we own them. The way I look at it, we'll meet them in the ALCS since the Wild Card can't play a division rival in the ALDS. I'm sure we'll still own them in October, so mark your calendars for the World Series!

jdm2662
06-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Man I hope they lose soon. I am tired of that team. They have been looking solid and it does not seem like anyone can beat them except us. Everything has been in their favor. There pitching has been looking great esp The Gambler Kenny Rogers. Hopefully they wont hold out much longer.

That's a sweet sig pic you got there.

I'm not worried as long as the Sox keep winning. Hell, KC has been winning some games lately. The NL blows that much.

oeo
06-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Well, remember last year, the way we were just cruising? And then August hit, and we slumped. The only reason I do not think the Tigers will win the division, is because they have played hot all year. Their pitching- near perfect, hitting- very timely...eventually they're going to hit a bump in the road. I know Tiger fans probably think they're invincible, I thought the Sox were last year. Then, all of a sudden, I was getting worried about our playoff hopes.

There's a difference between us, this year and last year. Last year, we were doing nothing wrong, and off to a great start. This year, IMHO, have not done everything right. This team is supposedly built around pitching and defense. Our pitching has been subpar at best, and our defense has been very inconsistent. I still think the Sox are going to have a hot second half and run away with this thing.

We haven't played a full season yet, when all is said and done, the Sox will be on top of the division.

infohawk
06-28-2006, 11:26 AM
Folks, it may very well end up where we open up a huge lead in the wild card while remaining neck-and-neck with the Tigers right down to the wire. That would be fine with me. I would love to win the division outright, and we still may, but the present course of events, should both teams stay red-hot, looks like we are likely to face the Tigers in the ALCS whether we win the division or take the wild card. Again, assuming current patterns hold.

34 Inch Stick
06-28-2006, 11:32 AM

I agree witht he first part of your post. As for the second part, I would feel much more comfortable with home field in the playoffs.

Hitmen77
06-28-2006, 11:35 AM
There's a difference between us, this year and last year. Last year, we were doing nothing wrong, and off to a great start. This year, IMHO, have not done everything right. This team is supposedly built around pitching and defense. Our pitching has been subpar at best, and our defense has been very inconsistent. I still think the Sox are going to have a hot second half and run away with this thing.

Absolutely. I think it's amazing that this team has had subpar pitching and inconsistent defense - and is still on pace to win 106 games. Wow.

If the Sox just pitch and play defense to their career norms from here on out, we'll see alot of wins this summer.

Jjav829
06-28-2006, 11:46 AM
Imagine how the Tigers fans are feeling. They're having their best season in who knows how long and they still can't open up a sizeable lead on us. Plus they still have to play us 13 more times. :cool:

06-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Seems like the next time they lose will be the same day we lose....but honestly, every team has a cold streak, we had a horrible Aug and a so-so Sept last year, but we had the luxury of having a 15 game lead when we went cold....Tigers don't have that luxury....A very important stretch is right after the All Star break, they get 4 with the Royals, we get 3 with the Yankees in NY...we got to hold our ground that weekend

MadetoOrta
06-28-2006, 12:34 PM
Imagine how the Tigers fans are feeling. They're having their best season in who knows how long and they still can't open up a sizeable lead on us. Plus they still have to play us 13 more times. :cool:

I've had that same feeling in the past where the Sox were playing great and the other top team wouldn't go away and eventually took over the division:

'73 Oakland
'77 Kansas City [we had a 6.5 game lead in LATE JULY]
'90 Oakland

It's a great feeling to be that team that won't go away, has the WS experience and went through a hellish August-September last year.

spiffie
06-28-2006, 12:41 PM
They'll lose when they play us. If they never lose any other times, good for them. This Sox team just needs to take care of its own business, win the 98-102 games it is capable of winning and the playoffs will take care of themselves. The road to the World Series runs through the White Sox and only when some team shows it can beat us can they stake their claim on the AL. I'm happy for the Tigers, they have a good bunch of young players doing things right, and they remind me of us last year. Only I don't think they will get the same happy ending we did.

hawkjt
06-28-2006, 01:08 PM
I see the tigers winning their next 5 games and then finally losing on July 4th in oakland when the jet lag catches up to them after winning the first game of that series on the 3rd. Then they will lose on the 8th in Seattle. So they will go into the all star break at at 61-27.

The sox will have to win the last two in Pitt, sweep the cubs and the o's and then take 2 of 3 from the Red Sox. That would be 11 of the next 12 and we would be tied with the tigers at the all-star break.

not gonna be easy to catch them.

Realist
06-28-2006, 01:17 PM
Their fans HATE US AND OUR TEAM (http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39584) in a way that's almost scarey. I'm starting to think we should probably start arming ourselves. :o:

I think they need to lighten up a lil' bit or their fan base is going to have to be locked up in a rubber room by the end of the season. I don't think they realize that there's a good chance we're going to be facing each other in the ALCS. Then they can go berzerk and lose their ****.

Frater Perdurabo
06-28-2006, 01:32 PM
When will they lose?

It's a complex question. It involves mathematics, physics, chemistry and even biology. But I'll try to simplify it for everyone.

They will lose just as soon as the team their offense fails to score as many runs as their opponent's hitters do. It will also happen if and when their pitchers give up more runs than the opposing pitchers surrender.
:tongue:

MarySwiss
06-28-2006, 02:08 PM
Their fans HATE US AND OUR TEAM (http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39584) in a way that's almost scarey. I'm starting to think we should probably start arming ourselves. :o:

I think they need to lighten up a lil' bit or their fan base is going to have to be locked up in a rubber room by the end of the season. I don't think they realize that there's a good chance we're going to be facing each other in the ALCS. Then they can go berzerk and lose their ****.

And THAT's the Web site that Tigers fan in Talking Baseball was yammering on about? Sheesh!

skottyj242
06-28-2006, 02:11 PM
I personally think thatthe Tigers will lost when the team they're playing scores more runs than they do.

BTW they're winning 1-0 right now.

SBSoxFan
06-28-2006, 02:48 PM
And THAT's the Web site that Tigers fan in Talking Baseball was yammering on about? Sheesh!

I don't know, I found many of those posts quite entertaining. They seem to respect and fear the Sox. For example

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 06-25-2006, 10:06 PM
http://www.motownsports.com/forums/image.php?u=1522&dateline=1126840508 (http://www.motownsports.com/forums/member.php?u=1522) beek_27 (http://www.motownsports.com/forums/member.php?u=1522) http://www.motownsports.com/forums/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_786974", true);
MotownSports Fan
http://www.motownsports.com/forums/images/misc/im_icq.gif (http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39584&page=5#)

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/images/icons/icon1.gif
You have to be kiddin me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This Sox team is amazing.

:D:

soxfan13
06-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Doesnt look like today:(:

DaleJRFan
06-28-2006, 03:20 PM

Yea, and those ******* stole OUR teal... pcshhh :rolleyes:

Deuce
06-28-2006, 03:39 PM
They will never lose again this season. They are the best team of ALL-TIME!:whatever:

sullythered
06-28-2006, 04:12 PM
All I got to say is, if they want to win THIS division, they BETTER not lose games.

Tigers=Sox from first part of the decade
Sox=Twins from the same.

The twins were always in our rearview until the very end, then doom struck. This season will be just like that.

MarySwiss
06-28-2006, 04:25 PM
And whats with all these kitten fans coming out of the woodwork trolling sox sites? They are even calling up the sox postgame show now and bragging on the score! Also, is the user on that site named Floridatigers the same one who frequents this site? Check out his sig..:mad

I'd be okay with them showing up here, as long as they behave--and so far they have (for the most part; and the one or two that haven't, the mods made short work of). But what pisses me off is that we all know damn well that as soon as the tide turns against the kittykats--and it will!--they will scamper away and hide under the bed instead of standing tall and taking their lumps.

And if this be a challenge, tigger fans, make the most of it!

thomas35forever
06-28-2006, 05:58 PM
Our old friend Timberwolf was ripping Chicago as a whole and thought we'd root for the Cubs over the Twins last weekend. He also likes Terry Bevington over Ron Gardenhire. If he ever comes to Chicago, someone will beat the living **** out of him.

Lip Man 1
06-28-2006, 06:26 PM
One thing to consider before folks start saying 'well this year's Tigers are the 2005 Indians...'

The Indians were unconsciously good for seven weeks.

The Tigers are approaching three months of being unconsciously good.

Big difference.

They aren't going anywhere, neither are the Sox...it's going to come down to head to head AND who stumbles even a few times against the garbage teams in September.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
06-28-2006, 06:35 PM
One thing to consider before folks start saying 'well this year's Tigers are the 2005 Indians...'

The Indians were unconsciously good for seven weeks.

The Tigers are approaching three months of being unconsciously good.

Big difference.

They aren't going anywhere, neither are the Sox...it's going to come down to head to head AND who stumbles even a few times against the garbage teams in September.

LipThis is why I like the unbalanced schedule. When the schedule was balanced you played other teams only 11 times. Even if you won 7 of them, that's still only a 3 game advantage. With 19 H2H games, if you can dominate those you gain a big advantage. Regardless of how well the Tigers play other teams, the road to the World Series still goes through Chicago.

miker
06-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Their fans HATE US AND OUR TEAM (http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39584) in a way that's almost scarey.
Hey, if I lived in/around Detroit, I'd be miserable too!

ozziesox13
06-28-2006, 08:24 PM
It feels a lot like it did last year when the Indians could not lose. I felt they had to cool off at some point. They did, the Sox caught fire, and the rest is history.

I sincerely hope and believe the same will happen this year. The Tigers have given up the fewest runs by far than any other team in baseball - only 289 runs given up to our 345. I cannot remember the last time a Tigers starter had a bad outing. Vazquez, on the other hand, with his last pathetic 9 earned run game denied the Sox another sweep of the Astros. There is only so many times we can expect the offense to don its cape and save our pitching staff when they are not good.

True, our starters have been better, but overall, as far as the numbers go, not nearly as good as the Tigers. Another problem I see is the Tigers offense for the most part is not shut down by anybody. Our offense on the other hand can get shut down, and is getting shut down now as I write against the mighty Pirates lefty pitcher Maholm.

On the positive side, the White Sox have done well so far head-to-head against the Tigers 5-1. That will have to continue for the Sox to take this division because I hate to say it but... the Tigers won again.

rainbow6
06-28-2006, 08:47 PM
The Tigers have jumped out to a 4-0 lead in Friday nights game....

Luke

Erik The Red
06-28-2006, 08:49 PM
4-3 Sox now. So long as we keep taking care of business, I'm not worried.

cbotnyse
06-28-2006, 08:53 PM
4-3 Sox now. So long as we keep taking care of business, I'm not worried.I'm not worried either, but getting very annoyed. :thud: However, the Twins and Tigers have to be just as annoyed as we are.

IlliniSox4Life
06-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Last time I checked, the Tigers had lost 25 games and we had lost 26. They seem to be losing at about the pace we are. Also, considering we were 1-4 when they were 5-0, they have been losing at a faster rate than us since then.

slobes
06-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Nothing we can do about them until we play them. We can only control their fate when we play them. All we can do is keep winning, even if it only leads to the Wild Card. Once the playoffs start, everyone is 0-0.

Timmy D's
06-28-2006, 09:25 PM
It may be time for me to start wagering on the Tigers to win. That usually kiss of deaths any team I bet. If they are still winning at this pace after the All Star break, I'm gonna step up to the window.:booty:

ondafarm
06-28-2006, 09:37 PM
If the White Sox take care of their business then all will be fine.

flo-B-flo
06-28-2006, 09:47 PM
They've been building a good team the last couple of years. They added Leyland and you see the results. The guy is a winner and a great leader. Early in the season he sensed the tiggers were going to revert to their loser expecting ways and he immediately put an end to it. I'm looking forward to the rst of the baseball that will be played between them and the Sox. Can they sustain this all year? We'll see. And it don't matter IF you're taking care of your own business.

kraut83
06-29-2006, 10:01 AM
The Tigers definitely have a solid team & I'm certain they'll be pushing the Sox all year.
I see a lot of their games, and one thing I've noticed is that they don't seem to move guys over on the bases or manufacture runs as well as the Sox do. I also expect their starters to begin tailing off eventually, a-la Jon Garland from last season. Still effective, but not a lights out as they've been.

It's all about the head-to-head at this point, and once both teams stop playing the JV NL Central, we'll see what is really going on.

On a side note, I'm seeing a lot of brand new hats with the olde english D around here. :rolleyes:

GoSox2K3
06-29-2006, 10:13 AM

You know, other that simple jealousy, I don't get all this hatred from other teams' fans towards the White Sox.

The Sox were the ultimate underdogs. 88 years w/out a championship, never getting any hype for that drought like the Cubs and Red Sox, never overrated (Cubs) or overexposed (NYY, Bos), before 05 not a high payroll team. The Sox, unlike any other team in MLB, can't even count own pro-Sox coverage in their own hometown.

The '05 team was one big feel-good story. They were total team players that worked together selflessly to reach the ultimate goal. This team was filled with underrated players that proved the experts wrong. Then there was the additional positive stuff like Ozzie giving Crede time off down the stretch to be with his wife for their new baby.

Sox fans have suffered quietly for 88 years. Always faithful and passionate. We didn't make "curses" excuses. We didn't whine and call our team "lovable losers". We don't go into other cities and act like we own their ballpark. Our championship celebration was one for the ages. Overwhelming, yet responsible - no flipping over cars, etc.

Yeah, I can totally see why other fans hate us. The Sox and Sox fans are just complete asses.:rolleyes:

jdm2662
06-29-2006, 10:46 AM
You know, other that simple jealousy, I don't get all this hatred from other teams' fans towards the White Sox.

The Sox were the ultimate underdogs. 88 years w/out a championship, never getting any hype for that drought like the Cubs and Red Sox, never overrated (Cubs) or overexposed (NYY, Bos), before 05 not a high payroll team. The Sox, unlike any other team in MLB, can't even count own pro-Sox coverage in their own hometown.

The '05 team was one big feel-good story. They were total team players that worked together selflessly to reach the ultimate goal. This team was filled with underrated players that proved the experts wrong. Then there was the additional positive stuff like Ozzie giving Crede time off down the stretch to be with his wife for their new baby.

Sox fans have suffered quietly for 88 years. Always faithful and passionate. We didn't make "curses" excuses. We didn't whine and call our team "lovable losers". We don't go into other cities and act like we own their ballpark. Our championship celebration was one for the ages. Overwhelming, yet responsible - no flipping over cars, etc.

Yeah, I can totally see why other fans hate us. The Sox and Sox fans are just complete asses.:rolleyes:

Why this is an issue is beyond me. Every sports team in the world is hated by some, especially teams who are champions. There was really no reason to hate the Patriots. They weren't full of themselves, they didn't have a true super star other than Tom Brady, and they defined true team play. Yet, there masses that hated them. The Bulls were hated by many in the 90s, eventhough they excelled in excellence, and weren't just satisified with winning. And, the Bulls were popular worldwide wide, not just here. I go to school with many Europeans and students from India, and they all mentioned watching the Bulls in the 90s in their home country. I never expect anyone to go ga ga over the Sox or any team I follow. If you are fan, cool. if not, oh well.

Chips
06-29-2006, 10:52 AM
The tigers will lose when they score less runs than their opponents.

Tokes
06-29-2006, 10:57 AM
Do they play today? BEcause if they do, I predict oday they will lose. AND SO IT HAS BEEN SAID

06-29-2006, 11:17 AM
Do they play today? BEcause if they do, I predict oday they will lose. AND SO IT HAS BEEN SAID

Nope...very important we win today or they get a free 1/2 game.....and they get the Pirates over the weekend

GoSox2K3
07-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Why this is an issue is beyond me. Every sports team in the world is hated by some, especially teams who are champions. There was really no reason to hate the Patriots. They weren't full of themselves, they didn't have a true super star other than Tom Brady, and they defined true team play. Yet, there masses that hated them. The Bulls were hated by many in the 90s, eventhough they excelled in excellence, and weren't just satisified with winning. And, the Bulls were popular worldwide wide, not just here. I go to school with many Europeans and students from India, and they all mentioned watching the Bulls in the 90s in their home country. I never expect anyone to go ga ga over the Sox or any team I follow. If you are fan, cool. if not, oh well.

Apparently, I'm not the only one interested in this "non-issue".

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74732