PDA

View Full Version : White Sox need an April 'Kick-start'

chisoxt
02-10-2002, 06:47 AM
One of the biggest fallacies going is that you don't win championships in April. With that said, look at what happened last year with the Sox and you can clearly see that while you don't necessarily win anything in April you sure can pretty much shoot the whole season if you play like the Sox did! When you look at the reasons as to why the team did poorly (Frank shooting his mouth off in Spring training, guys injured and not playing, or not playing and injured), I'm thinking that it is critcal that the team get off to a decent start this year.

Given the number of players coming back from injuries and the propensitiy a lot of our guys have to slow starts, I'm a little worried (of course, I'm a Sox fan!). How many pitchers out ther who have had the same kind of arm surgeries that our guys have had have come back effectively the following spring training? Wouldn't it have made sense for KW to have gone out and sign someone like Terry Adams or Kevin Tapani? it has always been proven that you can never have enough pitching and it seems as though the free-agent climate this year is a buyers market.

SOXSINCE'70
02-10-2002, 09:15 AM
Kevin Tapani or Terry Adams wouldn't be that much of an addition.
And as a Sox fan of 32 years,I don't want to touch ex sCrUBS pitchers.Lenny Billiams should have traded "Choice" Clayton and Carlos Lee for pitching of some sort,but nooooo.Instead,Sox fans get to hear their GM wax poetically about how this may be Lee's breakout year.I still say he's a butcher in Left.
There are many questions to be answered by the end of ST.Let's
hope the answers aren't "We Don't Have Enough Pitching".

:firenardi

SoxRulecubsdrool
02-10-2002, 11:08 AM
As long as H. Baines and Julio Ramirez are no where to found, I already feel better. Don't pick on C. Lee! All he needs is a bushel basket and roller blades and he'll be fine in left. Looks like a guy from my softball team after one to many warm ups in the tavern. :gulp:

CubKilla
02-10-2002, 12:58 PM
I agree that a good start is important, but it is not essential. On the other hand, the White Sox can't start 16-29 again like they did in 2001. Starts like that put the Sox too far behind the 8-ball. But MLB didn't do the Sox any favors by having the White Sox start off 2002 with 3 games against Seattle. The White Sox have to make the best of a bad first 3 games.

Daver
02-10-2002, 01:03 PM
I beleive this is the third year in a row that the Sox start the season in Seattle,but the way I look at it,the Sox have to play the good teams eventually,so why not start off against a competetive team?

czalgosz
02-10-2002, 01:06 PM
Well, I wouldn't say a good start is essential - the A's April last year was almost as bad as the Sox's... they were 8-17 last April, and they ended up with over 100 wins. Of course, they rebounded a lot sooner than the Sox did - they went 18-8 in May. I would say that you can't have two bad months in a row the way the Sox did and have a real chance to compete.

czalgosz
02-10-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by daver
I beleive this is the third year in a row that the Sox start the season in Seattle,but the way I look at it,the Sox have to play the good teams eventually,so why not start off against a competetive team?

They started the 2000 season in Texas, then played Oakland and then Tampa Bay before coming home.

Last season they opened in Cleveland.

czalgosz
02-10-2002, 01:11 PM
The pitching matchups should at least be interesting -

Game 1 - Mark Buehrle vs. Freddy Garcia
Game 2 - Todd Ritchie vs. Jamie Moyer
Game 3 - Jim Parque or Jon Garland vs. Paul Abbott

voodoochile
02-10-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
The pitching matchups should at least be interesting -

Game 1 - Mark Buehrle vs. Freddy Garcia
Game 2 - Todd Ritchie vs. Jamie Moyer
Game 3 - Jim Parque or Jon Garland vs. Paul Abbott

If the Sox don't win the middle game, it will be a huge disappointment. They actually feasted off of Moyer a couple of years ago - so much so that Lou shuffled his rotation so Moyer wouldn't pitch in the ALDS that year. Hope Ritchie lives up to his billing and BurlyMon gets off to a hot start and the Sox might not even have to worry about that third game, but they should be able to hit Abbott anyway, IMO...

Oh what the heck, just give us the sweep and be done with it...

MaggPipes
02-10-2002, 04:04 PM
That game will probably be in the evening because it is in seattle.....we may start off the year on ESPN..........

RedPinStripes
02-10-2002, 04:26 PM
Moyer will hopefully get back to his old cubie form this year and back to reality. I don't think Seattle will be feared like they were last year. That was a flike if I ever saw one. Bret friggin boone having a year like that after all those average years? come on!

And piss on Ichiro!

Chisox_cali
02-10-2002, 04:37 PM
No matter what happens in the first 3 against seattle, the next 6 on the road are against KC and Detroit, than home against the O's. Thats 9 fairly easy games unless one of them bust a cinderelly story but I dont think that is going to happen.

RedPinStripes
02-10-2002, 06:42 PM
Should be a nice start.

:jerry
"Better bring your "A" game!"

Chisox_cali
02-10-2002, 06:54 PM
April seems actually pretty easy on paper after the start on the road we get, at home...
4 with the O's(Easy)
3 with the 'toons(Don't know yet)
3 with Det.(Do I even need to say)

then back on the road
4 with the 'toons
3 with oaktown(Should be good series)

Chisox_cali
02-10-2002, 07:01 PM
Another advantage i just thought of:

Games played against Twins in April 2001-6
Games played against Twins in April 2002-0

We dont even see them until June :cool:

fuzzy_patters
02-10-2002, 07:05 PM
Ichiro and Boone were overrated last year. Teams that win in the AL tend to have a really good bullpen which the Mariners had last year, which is why I don't feel that last year was a fluke. If the middle of their pen is as effective this year as it was last year they will be good. If not, their starters will have to pitch deeper in to games or else they won't make it to Sasaki.

RedPinStripes
02-11-2002, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Ichiro and Boone were overrated last year. Teams that win in the AL tend to have a really good bullpen which the Mariners had last year, which is why I don't feel that last year was a fluke. If the middle of their pen is as effective this year as it was last year they will be good. If not, their starters will have to pitch deeper in to games or else they won't make it to Sasaki.

I don't think Ichiro was over rated. Maybe over hyped. I hoping MLB pitcher catch on to him and give him a hard time this year.

voodoochile
02-11-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

I don't think Ichiro was over rated. Maybe over hyped. I hoping MLB pitcher catch on to him and give him a hard time this year.

Well said. Ichiro got a ton of publicity and IMO, that is what people are rebelling at. Yeah, I know, Ichiro doesn't walk, but his OBP was .380 last year, that isn't chump change. Whether he can keep it up or not is hard to say. He has real quick hands, has that wide open stance and he can hit the ball whenever it is close to the plate. There was a highlight going around last year from his playing days in Japan where he singled off a ball that bounced a foot in front of the plate... That's bat control...

AsInWreck
02-11-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Well said. Ichiro got a ton of publicity and IMO, that is what people are rebelling at. Yeah, I know, Ichiro doesn't walk, but his OBP was .380 last year, that isn't chump change. Whether he can keep it up or not is hard to say. He has real quick hands, has that wide open stance and he can hit the ball whenever it is close to the plate. There was a highlight going around last year from his playing days in Japan where he singled off a ball that bounced a foot in front of the plate... That's bat control...

Yeah, its hard to walk someone when you can't throw the ball past him. And one thing that ichiro doesn't get credit for, at least around here, is that he is awesome in right field. W/ him and cameron in the OF it's almost unfair the M's get to play someone in left

voodoochile
02-11-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by AsInWreck

Yeah, its hard to walk someone when you can't throw the ball past him. And one thing that ichiro doesn't get credit for, at least around here, is that he is awesome in right field. W/ him and cameron in the OF it's almost unfair the M's get to play someone in left

Another excellent point. Ichiro was the best RF bar none last year... don't believe me? Ask Josh Paul...

Kilroy
02-11-2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
... don't believe me? Ask Josh Paul...

Or Terrance Long. That was the most unbelieveable throw. Long just couldn't believe it...

hold2dibber
02-11-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by CubsF'nBlow
I agree that a good start is important, but it is not essential. On the other hand, the White Sox can't start 16-29 again like they did in 2001. Starts like that put the Sox too far behind the 8-ball. But MLB didn't do the Sox any favors by having the White Sox start off 2002 with 3 games against Seattle. The White Sox have to make the best of a bad first 3 games.

There is no doubt that a 16-29 start (or anything close to it) would probably doom them for the year. That said, I think it is very possible (if not likely) that it will only take about 87 or 88 wins to win the Division this year. Thus, a somewhat slow start, in a weak division, need not ruin the chance for a post season berth.