PDA

View Full Version : Should Dusty be fired?

Tokes
06-27-2006, 06:20 PM
Fox News posed this question and I said hey, I wonder what WSI thinks.

I don't think he should get fired I think the Cubs GM should get fired for putting togetehr ****ty teams.

DumpJerry
06-27-2006, 06:32 PM
:whocares
Hey Tokes, welcome to Whitesoxinteractive. Why not ask about the managers of the other teams that are in or near last place? They are all equal in our eyes.

Tokes
06-27-2006, 06:33 PM
Hey Tokes, welcome to Whitesoxinteractive. Why not ask about the managers of the other teams that in or near last place? They are all equal in our eyes.

Is this not the "Talking Baseball" thread where we talk baseball.

cleanwsox
06-27-2006, 06:35 PM

I don't think he should get fired I think the Cubs GM should get fired for putting togetehr ****ty teams.

Yes..... and what's the score?

MarySwiss
06-27-2006, 06:44 PM

I do not pretend to speak for WSI, but I could not care less.

Chisox003
06-27-2006, 06:48 PM
You may not speak for everyone, but seriously, 95% is quite a large amount.

:redneck

MarySwiss
06-27-2006, 06:49 PM

:redneck

:?: Anybody?

Edit: I truly do not know *** this guy is talking about. But I suspect he doesn't either.

ChiSoxLifer
06-27-2006, 06:51 PM

I say no. As a matter of fact, I believe McPhail, Hendry, Baker, and especially Rothschild should get twenty year contracts. Stability is good.

Chisox003
06-27-2006, 06:58 PM
:?: Anybody?

Edit: I truly do not know *** this guy is talking about. But I suspect he doesn't either.
Settle down, deep breath, then read it again.

I meant 95% as in those posters on WSI who don't care.

Don't know what I did to deserve the "he doesn't either" comment, but I suspect you don't either.

Tokes
06-27-2006, 07:04 PM

Don't know what I did to deserve the "he doesn't either" comment, but I suspect you don't either.

everybody is very critical of eachother here....you can't say anything with out a critique. I could really care less what people say, I hope they get their jollies through putting down people on the board

Chisox003
06-27-2006, 07:15 PM
everybody is very critical of eachother here....you can't say anything with out a critique. I could really care less what people say, I hope they get their jollies through putting down people on the board
Naa, stick around for a while, it really isn't like that.

You're new and probably didn't realize that this is one of those subjects that has been beaten to death on this site. You probably also didn't realize that a select few around here have pretty large egos to go along with their large post counts. Not many, but a few.

Chips
06-27-2006, 07:18 PM
Hey Tokes, welcome to Whitesoxinteractive. Why not ask about the managers of the other teams that are in or near last place? They are all equal in our eyes.

What happened last time you used that tag?:tongue:

Dump, you're the most flubsessed person I know.:redneck

MarySwiss
06-27-2006, 07:42 PM

Well then, you should have said that. Reread your response post. How in the world was I supposed to know what you were talking about?

YOU settle down and take a deep breath. I was not launching on the newbie. My comment was directed at you. Maybe you should try to be clearer in your posts rather than blaming others for not being clairvoyant.

Chips
06-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Well then, you should have said that. Reread your response post. How in the world was I supposed to know what you were talking about?

YOU settle down and take a deep breath. I was not launching on the newbie. My comment was directed at you. Maybe you should try to be clearer in your posts rather than blaming others for not being clairvoyant.

I understood his post clearly.

MarySwiss
06-27-2006, 08:03 PM
I understood his post clearly.

Really?

Here's my entire post:

Here's his entire response:

Here's my response to that:

Anybody?
I truly do not know *** this guy is talking about. But I suspect he doesn't either.

To me, that's clear as mud. 95% of what?

Again, I am not kidding. I had no idea what he was talking about until he clarified it.

But as long as you understood it....guess that's the main thing.

Chips
06-27-2006, 08:06 PM
But as long as you understood it....

....I'll drink to that:gulp:

MarySwiss
06-27-2006, 08:08 PM
....I'll drink to that:gulp:

****! You'll drink to anything! But then again, so will I!

:gulp: with a blackberry brandy back!

kittle42
06-27-2006, 09:04 PM
If you people are done with your childishness, I'll answer the question. :cool:

Yes. baker was a good signing after a WS appearance in 2002. But it's been a steady decline for a team that was set up to go deep into the playoffs for several years. Part of this is due to Dusty's overworking of oft-injured young pitchers, his penchant for letting the inmates run the asylum, and and his insistance on staying with Neifi Perez, Jose Macias, Todd Hollandsworth, and other such useless veterans.

It doesn't help that the team could spend like the Yankees and does not, but you have to put a share of the blame on Dusty - that's just how it goes in baseball.

jenn2080
06-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Yes I think he should. Since 2003 he has not done anything for that team

soxfanreggie
06-27-2006, 09:39 PM
As a Sox fan, I would love to see a team that we play 6 times a year continue to suck. Not being a Cubs hater, but I would love to beat them 6 times a year, would be nice.

As a baseball fan, he isn't getting the job done. He had a flash for them, but that was it. Now, is it his fault he has $20-30 million it seems every year on the DL-no. Part of that is the fault of the GM. The owners don't seem to care but need to evaluate the entire hierarchy. They need to do a lot of firing/releasing/trading/etc. and revamp their entire organization.

DumpJerry
06-27-2006, 09:45 PM

*Officer Krupke arrives on the scene* Allright you two, into your corners and get some cold water on yer faces. Sheeesh! It's gonna be a long hot summer. Good thing the Sox are winning.

06-27-2006, 10:22 PM
From a business standpoint, since you are on the hook for 2 million to him this year, I would just keep him since the Cubs aren't going to do any better with a interm manager, then set him free at the end of the season

CaptainBallz
06-27-2006, 10:23 PM
:peace:

QCIASOXFAN
06-27-2006, 10:27 PM
Yes, he doesn't seem to make his players play hard or teach them fundamentals or enforce them at that. I think hes to much of a players manager. Like my best Friend who is a Cubs fan told me earlier in the week when we had this conversation about Dusty, he refereed back to a teacher we had back in highschool. He told me that Dusty was like Mr.Winters, one of those teachers who got along with all the kids and was more like your buddy then an actual teacher. He never really expects much out of you and you can often get away with sleeping in his class. It was probably the funniest thing ( and truest) thing I have heard a Cub fan say in a long time.

infohawk
06-27-2006, 10:34 PM
All I know is that he used to be a pretty successful manager until the Cubs broke him.

Uncle_Patrick
06-27-2006, 11:41 PM
All I know is that he used to be a pretty succesful manager until the Cubs broke him.

I think that his tenure with the Cubs simply exposed him as a medioce manager. The problems with the Cubs extend well beyond Dusty, of course, but he's going to be the guy to go, unless they have some miraculous turn around finish either at or above .500. They way they're going now, I don't see that happening and I don't see anyway the Cubs would extend him, although I'm not so sure that they won't let him finish out the season.

DaleJRFan
06-28-2006, 12:08 AM
All I know is that he used to be a pretty succesful manager until the Cubs broke him.

No ****! I don't get all the "Fire Dusty" crap coming from up north. Granted, he's not the best manager in baseball, but he is far form the worst. What the hell is he supposed to do with a roster full of AAAA players and spare parts?

But hey, this guy thinks the Cubs should can ol' Dusty...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4543

chaerulez
06-28-2006, 12:21 AM
Dusty Baker is a terrible manager. He doesn't enforce fundamentals in his teams, and won't hold his players accountable for bad defense or poor base running. His excuse is "my San Fran teams didn't play this way". He won't play rookies, he only played Cedeno because he had no choice and then realized he's actually decent. He's yanked around Matt Murton for no reason, instead of just letting the young guy play through his growning pains. He's always had some kind of odd favoritism for marginally good players- Ramon Martinez, Todd Hollandsworth, and now Freddie Bynum. He looked good in San Fran when he had the best player in the game, Steroid Boy, and Kent in his prime.

And for all his so called success at San Fran, he had a total of three playoff apperances there, yes he had a lot of over .500 seasons with teams that hovered around 90 wins. But if you don't make the playoffs who cares? He teams he had should've been good, it was hard to screw up writing in Bonds and Kent as the 3 and 4 hitters. As long as he did that he was going to be fine. He also always had a decent closer (Beck or Nen) and starting pitchers that you wouldn't think to be good but for some reason had good years (Russ Ortiz, Shawn Estes, Kirk Reuter). But in the playoffs he got exposed for his lack of tactics. He really doesn't seem to understand how to manage a bullpen. He needs to go.

WizardsofOzzie
06-28-2006, 12:25 AM
I hope they give him a 10 year extension :smile:

Brewski
06-28-2006, 01:13 AM
There are already hints of the rationale for dumping him: "We're going to blow up the team and Dusty won't want to be here for the rebuilding." There are enough press leaks through the usual shill sources to suggest it may occur sooner than later.

A real rebuilding would take it past a century before there was any chance of a real WS run.

Steelrod
06-28-2006, 01:18 AM
I hope they give him a 10 year extension :smile:
...or replace him with Bevington!

Rob190
06-28-2006, 01:42 AM

Ouch, you're cruel.

JUribe1989
06-28-2006, 01:45 AM
I don't think any manager could make the Cubs better, and in Dusty's defense how can you possibly manage a team that is unsure of 2/3 of the pitching staff's health and availability. Until that team gets rid of Prior and Wood they will be nothing.

ewokpelts
06-28-2006, 01:46 AM

I don't think he should get fired I think the Cubs GM should get fired for putting togetehr ****ty teams.is the pope catholic?

russ99
06-28-2006, 07:02 AM
Last night was absolutely hilarious. Another blown 9th inning lead and 5 unearned runs! WBBM radio even reported that Dusty was crying after the game.

Crying? There's no crying in baseball!!! :tongue:

As a Sox fan, I'd love for the hilarity to continue, along with the general Cub suckitude, but I don't think the Cub fans (and fickle management) is going to put up with it much longer.

I think he'll get the axe, with Brenly taking over, just before the Cubs vs. Sox series (this weekend) to fire up the fans. Firing up the team is beyond hope at this point. They need to start over.

If I were Cubs management, Hendry would get the axe first. He's much more responsible for this group of fakers.

TornLabrum
06-28-2006, 07:54 AM

I wouldn't wish him even on the Cubs!

Steelrod
06-28-2006, 08:11 AM
I wouldn't wish him even on the Cubs!
Bevington, or the Cubs?

Tragg
06-28-2006, 09:10 AM
The Cubs players have basically given up...that's on the manager (although I'm sure we represent one of the few things they have to play for..trying to beat us).
Assembling that collection of oafs falls on Hendry.
Both should go.

jenn2080
06-28-2006, 09:14 AM
The GM should be fired......Hands down. ****ty ass team. You know I cant even make fun of that team they are so bad. It is pathetic. And yet the monkeys still line up to go.

Im sure if Wrigley was a new stadium they would not be "selling out" the way they are. In fact they would be lucky to draw 10,000

jenn2080
06-28-2006, 09:16 AM
The Cubs players have basically given up...that's on the manager (although I'm sure we represent one of the few things they have to play for..trying to beat us).
Assembling that collection of oafs falls on Hendry.
Both should go.

I def agree. They have gave up. It is pathetic. I feel bad for the real fans like my Gram and my uncle and my Great Gram. My Gram is 70 and my great gram is in her 90s. They are all die hard fans. Watch the games everyday...well up until this year. MY uncle refuses to even go to the stadium at this point. Ashame they will never see their team win. It is never to late to start rooting for the Sox :tongue:

Uncle_Patrick
06-28-2006, 09:29 AM

I'd kill to have the great Terry Bevington manage my team!

SOXPHILE
06-28-2006, 11:59 AM
I say no. As a matter of fact, I believe McPhail, Hendry, Baker, and especially Rothschild should get twenty year contracts. Stability is good.

That's what I've been saying for the past couple of years now. One can always hope.

mrfourni
06-28-2006, 04:57 PM
A real rebuilding would take it past a century before there was any chance of a real WS run.

I'll go ahead and say that if they had solid management, blew up the team now and went out got some Free agents next year, their rebuilding could be done faster than most.

Will they spend the money next year and on the right players remains to be seen.

Nelson Foxtrot
06-29-2006, 07:25 PM
I remember a lot of Giants fans eager to run Baker out of town even while the team was still in the 2002 postseason, which can never be a good sign. He has shown no interest in developing the youngsters, and has no problems wearing out the arms of his top pitchers. The man has no control over his players, and I consider him an awful manager. Baylor lost his team's respect and morphed into Jerry Manuel Light and Riggleman couldn't manage a bullpen if his life depended on it. While they weren't great managers, they still seemed to care about helping their players, improving the team, and winning games. Baker just seems to care about his camera time.

I think Hendry should be fired too, but that doesn't excuse Dusty. I know this isn't a great thing to admit, but my family was split between Sox/Cubs fans when I grew up, and I spent a good chunk of my life cheering for both teams. Even when I knew guys like Doug Dascenzo and Augie Ojeda didn't belong on a big league roster, I had respect for the fact they were playing their hearts out. However, I've come to despise the team during the Hendry/Dusty era. There have just been too many players that I couldn't bring myself to cheer for no matter how hard I tried, and the same goes for the general shadiness of the rest of the organization in recent years.

Mercy!
06-29-2006, 08:24 PM
Dusty who?