PDA

View Full Version : Book Signing - South Side Hitmen Book

Dan H
06-27-2006, 05:34 PM
I will be signing my book, "South Side Hitmen - The Story of the 1977 Chicago White Sox," at the Borders, 15260 S. LaGrange Road, Orland Park, Thursday, June 29 at 7:30.

I personally think the success of the 1977 club helped keep the White Sox in Chicago. It was easily the best White Sox season of the seventies.

MarySwiss
06-27-2006, 06:36 PM
I will be signing my book, "South Side Hitmen - The Story of the 1977 Chicago White Sox," at the Borders, 15260 S. LaGrange Road, Orland Park, Thursday, June 29 at 7:30.

I personally think the success of the 1977 club helped keep the White Sox in Chicago. It was easily the best White Sox season of the seventies.

Okay. so I guess this means I can go to my neighborhoor Borders and order this puppy.

It's to the good!

DannyCaterFan
06-27-2006, 11:00 PM

A great book and an easy read for any White Sox fan from that era. Keep up the good work Dan !

Wsoxmike59
06-27-2006, 11:21 PM
Dan, just checking my schedule and I have a concert to go to that night. Looks like I won't be able to make the book signing after all. Darn, wish I could've been there. I have your other two books which I enjoyed immensely.

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/details_pop.aspx?iid=52246864

Pitch at Risk to Rich Zisk.

Tragg
06-27-2006, 11:34 PM

Congrats on the book...I'm sure it is a great read.

But I beg to differ: 1972 was easily the best Sox season of the 1970s.

southwstchi4life
06-27-2006, 11:55 PM
A 21 year old Sox fan since Birth. Favorite Players being Frank Thomas, Dave Martinez, and Wilson Alverez. But my dad always talks about old white Sox teams including that year. I Wanna learn about that team. Im gonna get it, sounds like an interesting read.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-27-2006, 11:59 PM
Any downtown or (gasp) northside Chicago stops scheduled?

Dan H
06-28-2006, 09:54 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for their support and encouragement. It is one great thing about writing these books.

Frontman
06-28-2006, 10:12 PM
Wanted to personally thank you Dan for writing about the Sox. I'm rather sick of books about the Northsiders flooding the market. I'll have to pick it up!

Granted, I'm in Orland Park, so if I get the chance, I can pick up an autographed copy!

Front

Dan H
06-29-2006, 10:38 AM
Wanted to personally thank you Dan for writing about the Sox. I'm rather sick of books about the Northsiders flooding the market. I'll have to pick it up!

Granted, I'm in Orland Park, so if I get the chance, I can pick up an autographed copy!

Front

Thanks, and I would be happy to meet you. That's what makes book signings fun.

RadioheadRocks
06-29-2006, 08:56 PM
Hi Dan

Hope the signing went great... coming back to Chicago tomorrow (alas, 1 day too late to meet you at Borders), but I've read all three of your White Sox books and enjoy them immensely! I also have to give props to Leo Bauby for sharing some AMAZING pictures! Was especially nice to see that pic of Harry Caray with first-ever female play-by-play announcer Mary Shane (not many pics of her floating around anywhere!) and the pic of Harry with old Falstaff mascot "Holy Cow" really brought a flood of Channel 44 memories back!!!

I also found a dealer online who had a copy of THROUGH HOPE AND DESPAIR and it was well worth the endless searching! Anyway thanks again and wishing you continued success with your writing endeavors. :D: :bandance: :supernana:

ewokpelts
06-29-2006, 09:47 PM
the future father in law ranks the 77 team as high, if not higher, than any of the division winning years(my fave non-ws winning year is 1990). we all rank 2005 as the best, however.
Gene

AJTrenkle
06-29-2006, 11:45 PM
sounds like a good one, what other books have you done?

SportsPg
06-30-2006, 12:07 AM
The South Side Hitmen are the reason that I, Evanston born and raised am one of the few, proud North Side White Sox fans. Every single friend I had as a kid were Cub fans except for ONE other lost soul.

Guess which friend I took to game 1 of the World Series when my WIFE scored two tickets after I struck out repeatedly?

Karma is a bitch...god was that game fun :supernana::supernana::supernana::supernana:

ChiSoxPatF
06-30-2006, 12:34 AM
My dad loved the book and actually skipped a Sunday Sox game to meet with you at Border's in Highland last month. It made his day and he really enjoyed talking '77 Sox with you. Keep up all the good work.

:gulp:

Wsoxmike59
06-30-2006, 07:36 AM
Well I really hated to miss the book signing last night (but boy was Lynryd Skynyrd worth it, but that's another story for another day) so I sent my daughter to pinch hit for me last night and she went to the Borders on LaGrange Road for me.

When I awoke this morning on the coffee table was a signed copy of South Side Hitmen, the story of the 1977 Chicago White Sox.

I can't wait to delve in to this book, it looks really good just thumbing through the first few pages. Good job Dan and Leo.

Wsoxmike59
07-03-2006, 08:22 AM
Read the book last night Dan, and enjoyed it very much. It brought back a lot of fond memories. I remember I went to 25 games that year (that was my all time high until I eclipsed that mark later in the 1990-'91 and '93 seasons)

Some of my random memories of that year. The Sox held a FREE open house at old Comiskey Park the day before the the opener and it was a blast. Fans got to watch the Sox take BP and the players signed tons of autographs for the fans.

The home opener in '77 was a windy affair and I remember Bill Veeck gave each fan a styrofoam ball so that the fans could throw out the first pitch of the season.

I remember being pretty impressed that the Sox beat the Red Sox that day, and I remember sitting in the RF bleachers that day and watching Zisk fight the wind on every fly ball.

I remember being at one of the games when Jim Spencer drove in 8 runs not once but TWICE during that season! I also remember a 4 hour 9 inning marathon played against the Texas Rangers and Gaylord Perry. It was a game played at a snails pace but I remember practically nobody left and the game got over at Midnight!!

I can still hear Harry Caray telling fans on TV to not worry when the Sox would fall behind early in games, because the offense would come roaring back, and they often did!

I remember some pretty shaky games from the pitching staff when it seemed like nobody could record an out, and then other days the pitchers would rise up and shut down a pretty good team.

But the Sox hung tough, and they were a lot tougher than they were ever given credit for. It was a fun team to watch. It was like having 25 cast offs that nobody wanted, and these guys banded together and had some fun in the process.

My favorite players that year were of course Richie Zisk and Oscar Gamble, then the stellar seasons Eric Solderholm, Chet Lemon and Lamar Johnson put in. Jim Essian and Brian Downing were rock solid behind the plate. Jorge Orta and Jack Brohamer sharing duties at 2B. Banny and Garr setting the table at the top of the line up. Lerrin LaGrow was automatic out of the pen, and the starters Steve Stone, Ken Kravec, Chris Knapp and Francisco Barrios were horses that year. They took the ball every fourth or 5th day and just went out and battled. They gave it everything they had. Often they had to pitch over some pretty shoddy defense.

It's funny looking back at this team through the fog of time. I remember saying to my cousin John at one point during the season, "we're having a great year so far, but I don't see me looking back and loving this team like I do the '72 Sox, or the Go-Go Sox." "We're just too sloppy on defense and have no pitching!"

But then the month of July came and turned the whole town on its' collective ear, and they got HOT! Oh boy did they get hot. The offensive machine that was the Southside Hitmen put on a display that I just could not fathom. No lead was safe from the opposition. Opposing teams had to HATE coming in to Comiskey Park to face the White Sox and their power laden line up. Na Na Hey Hey Good-Bye. Curtain calls, Fireworks, Hustle and Muscle, it became one of the best and most beloved seasons in the White Sox annals.

What a line up:

Garr LF
Bannister SS
Zisk RF
Gamble DH
Johnson/Spencer 1B
Solderholm 3B
Lemon CF
Orta 2B
Essian/Downing C

Good job Dan, (and Leo on the pictures) thanks for writing the book. It's a nice addition to my White Sox book collection.

Brian26
07-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Terrific recap. I always like it when a book is so interesting that you sit down and actually read it from cover to cover in one sitting. I haven't picked it up yet, but I'm looking forward to it. How many hours did you spend reading it? It must have been riveting.

Read the book last night Dan, and enjoyed it very much. It brought back a lot of fond memories. I remember I went to 25 games that year (that was my all time high until I eclipsed that mark later in the 1990-'91 and '93 seasons)

Some of my random memories of that year. The Sox held a FREE open house at old Comiskey Park the day before the the opener and it was a blast. Fans got to watch the Sox take BP and the players signed tons of autographs for the fans.

The home opener in '77 was a windy affair and I remember Bill Veeck gave each fan a styrofoam ball so that the fans could throw out the first pitch of the season.

I remember being pretty impressed that the Sox beat the Red Sox that day, and I remember sitting in the RF bleachers that day and watching Zisk fight the wind on every fly ball.

I remember being at one of the games when Jim Spencer drove in 8 runs not once but TWICE during that season! I also remember a 4 hour 9 inning marathon played against the Texas Rangers and Gaylord Perry. It was a game played at a snails pace but I remember practically nobody left and the game got over at Midnight!!

I can still hear Harry Caray telling fans on TV to not worry when the Sox would fall behind early in games, because the offense would come roaring back, and they often did!

I remember some pretty shaky games from the pitching staff when it seemed like nobody could record an out, and then other days the pitchers would rise up and shut down a pretty good team.

But the Sox hung tough, and they were a lot tougher than they were ever given credit for. It was a fun team to watch. It was like having 25 cast offs that nobody wanted, and these guys banded together and had some fun in the process.

My favorite players that year were of course Richie Zisk and Oscar Gamble, then the stellar seasons Eric Solderholm, Chet Lemon and Lamar Johnson put in. Jim Essian and Brian Downing were rock solid behind the plate. Jorge Orta and Jack Brohamer sharing duties at 2B. Banny and Garr setting the table at the top of the line up. Lerrin LaGrow was automatic out of the pen, and the starters Steve Stone, Ken Kravec, Chris Knapp and Francisco Barrios were horses that year. They took the ball every fourth or 5th day and just went out and battled. They gave it everything they had. Often they had to pitch over some pretty shoddy defense.

It's funny looking back at this team through the fog of time. I remember saying to my cousin John at one point during the season, "we're having a great year so far, but I don't see me looking back and loving this team like I do the '72 Sox, or the Go-Go Sox." "We're just too sloppy on defense and have no pitching!"

But then the month of July came and turned the whole town on its' collective ear, and they got HOT! Oh boy did they get hot. The offensive machine that was the Southside Hitmen put on a display that I just could not fathom. No lead was safe from the opposition. Opposing teams had to HATE coming in to Comiskey Park to face the White Sox and their power laden line up. Na Na Hey Hey Good-Bye. Curtain calls, Fireworks, Hustle and Muscle, it became one of the best and most beloved seasons in the White Sox annals.

What a line up:

Garr LF
Bannister SS
Zisk RF
Gamble DH
Johnson/Spencer 1B
Solderholm 3B
Lemon CF
Orta 2B
Essian/Downing C

Good job Dan, (and Leo on the pictures) thanks for writing the book. It's a nice addition to my White Sox book collection.

Wsoxmike59
07-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Terrific recap. I always like it when a book is so interesting that you sit down and actually read it from cover to cover in one sitting. I haven't picked it up yet, but I'm looking forward to it. How many hours did you spend reading it? It must have been riveting.

Brian it was a pretty quick read, the book has a lot of photos, so the actual book is probably less than 100 written pages. So it took me about 1 hour and 15 min or so to get through it.