PDA

View Full Version : Play by play

bc2k
02-09-2002, 11:36 PM
WSI members, I'm sitting here counting the seconds till spring training, and thought how much I hate Hawk and DJ. I always turn off the volume on tv and turn up Ed Farmer and John Rooney on the radio. I want to know who my fellow WSI members prefer. Hawk and Dj don't have a bit on chemistry, and always talk about their past playing days. I learn nothing from these two. Farmer and Rooney not only are, IMO, more knowledgeable of the game, but have perfect radio voices. Whether he knows it or not, Farmer is hilarious. One call of his last year went something like this, "Shallow fly ball towards left, and Carlos makes the catch. I don't know why the people in the outfield stands were cheering and standing up, the ball was not even close to the warning track". Fans in Minnessota obviously. They are not biased, but call the game from a Sox perspective. I can't get enough of these guys. Wimpy was bearable, but Hawkeroo and BJ have to go.

kermittheefrog
02-10-2002, 12:01 AM
Yeah Hawk and DJ suck, it's all about Farmer and Rooney. I wish JR would get this message. I remember a couple years back there was a Sox game broadcast in England and the viewers there had some great stuff to say insulting Hawk and Wimpy. DJ, Wimpy, I'm not sure who is worse but the Sox TV broadcasters absolutely suck. That said, no one is as bad as Chip Carey and Joe Carter. I tried watchign a Cubs game and they nearly made me cry. Maybe this is just a Chicago thing.

Daver
02-10-2002, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Yeah Hawk and DJ suck, it's all about Farmer and Rooney. I wish JR would get this message. I remember a couple years back there was a Sox game broadcast in England and the viewers there had some great stuff to say insulting Hawk and Wimpy. DJ, Wimpy, I'm not sure who is worse but the Sox TV broadcasters absolutely suck. That said, no one is as bad as Chip Carey and Joe Carter. I tried watchign a Cubs game and they nearly made me cry. Maybe this is just a Chicago thing.

I have no problem with Hawk,yes he is a homer,but he does have a decent knowledge of the game.DJ just plain,flat out sucks donkey balls.He makes up for his lack of knowledge by pointing out the obvious,and that just doesn't work for most fans.I like John Rooney,he is a true professional,but Ed Farmer gets on my nerves,I would not be upset if he contracted a case of arrowass.

Huisj
02-10-2002, 01:09 AM
I love the sox radio team too, and that's a good thing since they are my only connection to the sox unless they are on espn (fat chance) until school's done. However, I really don't mind Hawk and DJ all that much. I liked Paciorek (spelling?) quite a bit better, because he had some knowledge it seemed, and he was also funny, but I can put up with DJ. They do have some awkward moments with each other on the air when they disagree and things get a bit tense almost, but they don't say cheesy crap all the time like the cubs announcers. maybe it's just that since i only see them on their wgn games that I think they aren't bad. for everyone else who sees them every day, maybe it's easier to not like them then. I dunno, it seems like there are just way too many bad announcers out there these days--maybe that's why selig wants contraction so bad, because he's sick of bad announcers and wants to get rid of the bad ones.

Daver
02-10-2002, 01:29 AM
I think basing Bud's aimless want for contraction on a lack of decent announcers is quite a stretch.

:tool

Yeah!That is exactly why we need to contract.

WinningUgly!
02-10-2002, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by daver
I think basing Bud's aimless want for contraction on a lack of decent announcers is quite a stretch.

:tool

Yeah!That is exactly why we need to contract.

The only good thing that DJ brings to the table is that his playing days ended fairly recently & he has some head to head experience against quite a few active pitchers. Outside of that, I have nothing good to say about the guy.............

Daver
02-10-2002, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

The only good thing that DJ brings to the table is that his playing days ended fairly recently & he has some head to head experience against quite a few active pitchers. Outside of that, I have nothing good to say about the guy.............

Yeah,but his head to head experience usually invloves pitchers that had no problem getting him out of the batters box.Wait......................Yep another soft line drive to the shortstop.

WinningUgly!
02-10-2002, 02:27 AM

Yeah,but his head to head experience usually invloves pitchers that had no problem getting him out of the batters box.Wait......................Yep another soft line drive to the shortstop. :D: Very true! :D:

longshot7
02-10-2002, 02:45 AM
at least you guys get a choice between radio and tv, I HAVE to listen to Hawk and DJ. Sympathy please.

RedPinStripes
02-10-2002, 02:53 AM
What really annoys me about hawk is all the excuses he can come up with for players making bad plays and ripping the umpire, then kissing their ass 2 innings later to cover himself. Glad I never met him. He might make up one of those dumbass nick names he has to come up with for everyone.

Nellie_Fox
02-10-2002, 03:27 AM
Man, am I out of touch. I thought Rooney and Farmer were just as boring and irrelevant as you can get, and Hawk was fun to listen to. DJ? Nah. Bring back Wimpy.

Farmer just drones on and on without ever getting to a point.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-10-2002, 04:10 AM
Rooney & Farmer have grown on me a lot the past few years. I admit at first I didn't care for either of them. However, they provide so much more detail about relevant stuff happening in the game, I usually turn down Hawk & DJ to listen to Rooney & Farmer, even when watching the telecast.

I agree that Farmer drones on--especially late in the season when everyone knows the games are meaningless. However, Hawk can be just as bad. I guess you have to have a pretty big ego to be a successful TV broadcaster, and Hawk definitely qualifies. He's far too busy talking about his playing days, punctuated with the same handful of homemade cliches ("Grab some bench!", "Can a corn", "Couldn't find the ears!", blah, blah, blah...)

Hey, it's entertainment. Competing for TV viewers, Hawk needs to be closer to Oprah than to Peter Jennings. Rooney & Farmer have no such limitations. They describe most every detail of the game (they have to; they're on radio), and manage not to irritate me too much in the process (the exception being Farmer talking about his golf game).

It should go without saying that both on TV and radio, the Sox broadcasters are head and shoulders better than anything the Cubs provide. Hughes is as close to reality as anyone a Flubs fan will ever listen to, and yet I'm left speechless by his call of the game. He definitely buys into the delusional myth that Cubs hitters are great--nevermind that everyone else's hitters look great, too, when they come to Wrigley and get to tee-off.

As for TV, my God, the less said the better. I've never listened to two more overmatched idiots than Chimp and Joe in the Cubs TV booth. It's theater of the absurd. No wonder so many Flubs fan enjoy it.

ExSoxFan
02-10-2002, 09:23 AM
The only decent broadcaster in ALL of Chicago sports is Pat Foley. This city dumbs it down so far, every team must think their fanbase is a pack of morons. The talk shows are no different, it's all a bunch of hayseed homers yapping about nothing.

It's a sad sad situation with sports broadcasting in this city...

:hawk

Ducksnort? Pleeeeeeeeeease...

oldcomiskey
02-10-2002, 10:19 AM
let me ask you something--have any of you called a game from the booth--I have and let me tell you something--it aint easy---I love Hawk--he is a masterpiece

harwar
02-10-2002, 10:20 AM
Hawk is really annoying most of the time.However;The fact that he lives and dies with every pitch just like i do makes him a lot more palatable.DJ is just plane boring.He looks to me like hes' stoned when they do a head shot(eyes always glassy),its probably just me as i was stoned for most of my young life and i have an odd perspective at times.I love Rooney and Farmer.John gets so angry at times you can almost hear the steam coming out of his ears and Ed is always funny,although its unintended 90%of the time.One guy on this board did a great Farmer impression last year,but i can't recall his name(theres those drugs again).

SoxRulecubsdrool
02-10-2002, 11:04 AM
:gulp: With all the stuff we always hear about things to hate about the Sox and now bashing Hawk and DJ? Have you tried drinking while watching the game. Hawk's a riot. During the game I am always telling my kids to grab some bench and my wife to put it on the board. It could be the effects of the alcohol!
:gulp:

Jjav829
02-10-2002, 11:10 AM
Hmmm....A Hawk and DJ drinking game. Take one sip for every "can of corn". Two for every "grab some bench". And finish the beer for every "You can put it on the board...YES!" Theres so many others you can do. :gulp: :smile:

SoxRulecubsdrool
02-10-2002, 11:15 AM
Now you got my wheels turning! This could be fun! As my mom use to say :gulp: It's good to set your goals high!

PaleHoseGeorge
02-10-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by harwar
One guy on this board did a great Farmer impression last year,but i can't recall his name(theres those drugs again).

That was King Xerxes. He hasn't been around since September--when the Sox officially tanked the season. Hopefully he'll be back. His impersonations made for classic posts.

It will be awfully tough to beat the King for weekly "Best of Sox Clubhouse" honors!

:gulp:

czalgosz
02-10-2002, 11:47 AM
One thing I like about both the Radio and TV crews in Chicago is that they get into the games, at least to some extent. Out here I watch a Giants game or an A's game once in a while, and they are about as boring as you can get. When Jon Miller does Giants games, it's like he's on national TV - he never betrays any bias at all. Most announcers are very vanilla - they talk about how great everyone is, they announce runs scored for both sides with equal enthusiasm, and after a while you realize that they really add nothing to the game. For all the flaws that Hawk Harrelson has, he's at least kind of fun.

I haven't been able to watch home broadcasts in a while, so maybe I'd have a different opinion now.

My one anecdote about Rooney and Farmer - I was listening to a Web Radio game from June 2000 - the Sox were playing the Reds in Cincinnatti, and were clobbering the Reds something like 16-3. Manuel put out some loser to pitch the ninth, someone like Kevin Beirne. Rooney and Farmer were talking about how it was great that the Sox were winning in blowout, because they had just won a few close-fought games, and Keith Foulke needed the rest. Well, Beirne got shelled, allowing like 6 or 7 runs. They brought in someone else, who only made things worse. Rooney and Farmer were getting madder and madder, as the score got up to 16-12 (or something like that). Finally, Keith Foulke started warming up. Here's the exchange -

Rooney - "Oh, great, now Foulke is warming up!"

Farmer - "Great."

Rooney - "This team has got to win these games without Foulke."

I gained a lot of respect for Rooney and Farmer at that point - they were echoing the frustration that I felt.

SoxRulecubsdrool
02-10-2002, 12:26 PM
The post about other clubs broadcasts are true. Most of the time it sounds like two Geritol reps gumming prunes. Atleast you shouldn't doze off during a Sox broadcast. We could always have chiperoo from the northside where every pop up is drilled and rocketed. :gulp:

PaleHoseGeorge
02-10-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Rooney and Farmer were getting madder and madder, as the score got up to 16-12 (or something like that). Finally, Keith Foulke started warming up. Here's the exchange -

Rooney - "Oh, great, now Foulke is warming up!"

Farmer - "Great."

Rooney - "This team has got to win these games without Foulke."

I gained a lot of respect for Rooney and Farmer at that point - they were echoing the frustration that I felt.

Wow, that's funny. I remember that exact exchange listening to my radio. The Sox won that game, swept the Reds (who were in first place at the time), and shortly thereafter began an incredible winning streak against New York (defending champions) and Cleveland (defending division champs).

IIRC, Thomas hit a pinch-hit homerun to win it. That's a series lots of Sox Fans overlook when they remember the Glorious 2000 Season. In my mind, it rates right up there with Abbott's pinch-hit dinger to beat the Twinkies.

I've still got the game recap for that one. We'll have it available once the archive rebuild is completed.

CubKilla
02-10-2002, 12:44 PM
Hawk was much better complimented by Paciorek. Hawk and DJ sound forced. It has been reported and, at times, I think it is true..... I don't think Hawk and DJ care too much for the other. I'll take Hawk ANYDAY over the Wrigley Field pitchman Chip Carey. Rooney and Farmer are good also. They have grown on me since I started a job where I drive alot and because of the times I work, Rooney and Farmer are sometimes my only audible connection to the White Sox games. But one question about Farmer remains..... Does the guy own a pair of socks? It was cold last Friday and Farmer was on stage with JM and KW without any socks on. I used to work at Midway Airport and did quite a few of the White Sox charter flights for roadtrips and he NEVER had socks on there either. So what's going on Ed?

:chimp

"You guys want me to put on a clinic for Hawk and DJ?"

Paulwny
02-10-2002, 01:00 PM

I like John Rooney,he is a true professional,but Ed Farmer gets on my nerves,I would not be upset if he contracted a case of arrowass.

Totally agree, Rooney is good but I'm sick of Farmer's golf game talk and his moaning about having to go to Canada to do the sox/jays' games.

SoxRulecubsdrool
02-10-2002, 01:05 PM
:gulp: I noticed at Soxfest Farmer had no socks. Some people are like that. Believe it or not I try to wear shorts all through the winter. Farmer can be weird on the broadcasts though. :gulp: Maybe I am a dork! Oh no, I am a dork!

ode to veeck
02-10-2002, 01:30 PM
thumbs down on the hawk and DJ, never could stand the hawk since he stepped into the booth--too vanilla for me --in spite of his colorful reputation as a player he and drysdale were hired to be vanilla along with rubbie and rhubarb to replace the outspoken haray caray, paciorek helped for awhile but just a band-aid

last couple of years w/ DirectTV broadcasts here on the left coast, listening to the Hawk again I find his broadcasting just missing the boat all over again--I always am glad to find a second source for play-by-play for west coast games, usually better than hawk and dj, even for talking about the sox

I liked czalgosz 's metric "vanilla-ness", but inverted. Give me a play-by-play announcer who's not afraid to say what they really feel and who's really into the game any time ... even one who's wrong now and then

non vanilla hall of fame:
rooney and farmer
piersall and haray
butkus and jim hart (radio bears, mid 80s)-these guys dust any of the tv coverage today--they never even missed reporting a substitution--plus constant dynamic rooting of butkus for defense and hart for the offense was great
alex karas, MNF early years "you're full of it howard!"
howard (wrong much of the time, but good color w/karas, dandy don, or someone else to set him straight)
lloyd petit on the hawks of course
john madden, before it stopped being football and became the john madden show

vanilla bland land hall of fame (stick a fork in em):
the hawk
dick enberg
jack brickhouse "gee, that was a close play" safe call by rookie ump on hundley sr. tag on tommy agee 5 feet from the plate that took the mets into 1st in sept '69 was classic brickhouse

one thing to note about czalgosz 's comments about vanilla-ness of west coast tv coverage, it also trends that tv coverage throughout the country is more vanilla, while real old fashioned exciting coverage is more the norm on radio

one bad side effect of all the technologies being used today is trying to watch your live video source mixed with radio broadcast coverage, is the synch can be off by a few seconds--making it really not as usable anymore--hey maybe a black box for synch'ing in audio sources would be a great seller for sports nuts

so, wsi, who are you votes for vanilla HOF and non-vanilla HOF announcers?

ode to veeck
02-10-2002, 01:35 PM
i'll take the dork with no sox anytime!!! maybe its his way of distinguishing himself from yuppies in italian shoes driving passats and suvs to wrigleyville

awesomefan
02-10-2002, 02:12 PM
I'm just glad I get to see almost every White Sox game on TV..regardless of who is doing the announcing.

If I get mad at Hawk or DJ like I do sometimes, then I can just turn on the radio & tune them out....hehehehehe

My problem is I don't get very good radio reception alot of the time or I would listen to Ed Farmer & John Rooney more often.

Most of the time I can tolerate Hawk & DJ & some of the times they can be pretty funny...especially when DJ starts messin' with Hawk.

Ed Farmer is darn good & I wish I got better radio reception...Daver has told me how to get a splitter thing at Radio Shack to add some antenna wire to my radio...maybe this year Daver.

voodoochile
02-10-2002, 02:20 PM
Man, if ever a thread needed one of those patented Hawkism rants this would be the one... Was it Procol who does the Hawk parodys?

awesomefan
02-10-2002, 02:21 PM
CubsF'nBlow: I've noticed that Ed Farmer never wears sox too. Several years ago, I sat out in the lobby of the Hyatt Regency after a day at the SoxFest & chatted with Ed & got my picture taken with him.

Ed Farmer lives in California in the off season & really hates the cold weather in Chicago. I guess he's just used to being able to go without sox in California & he's probably also stuck in the 80's or some decade when no sox was a fade.

FarWestChicago
02-10-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Man, if ever a thread needed one of those patented Hawkism rants this would be the one... Was it Procol who does the Hawk parodys? King Xerxes. :smile:

voodoochile
02-10-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
King Xerxes. :smile:

That's the one... Man, we need the King to come by and drop a little humor on this thread...

RedPinStripes
02-10-2002, 02:54 PM
2 quotes from Rooney and Farmer that cracked me up that I can remeber:

Farmer in 2000 during the Sox Tigers series in detroit.

"The expressway exit was closed today as we were making our wat to the park today. What a fine town detroit is"

At Comiskey in 2000 vs the flubs:

Rooney:

"These umpires are terrible! They need to just turn their shirts in"!

*****!

nut_stock
02-10-2002, 03:41 PM
I still love the couple of times when Farmer said, " That call Sucked!"

RedPinStripes
02-10-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
I still love the couple of times when Farmer said, " That call Sucked!"

LOL! Yeah. Farmer does tend to show the baseball player side of him a lot.

Rooney is good for this quote which also cracks me up.

"There's ball 3 right down the middle. Where was that one? It don't get better then that."

SOXSINCE'70
02-10-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
What really annoys me about hawk is all the excuses he can come up with for players making bad plays and ripping the umpire, then kissing their ass 2 innings later to cover himself. Glad I never met him. He might make up one of those dumbass nick names he has to come up with for everyone.

I agree!!I can take Hawk kissing ass,even if it gets too nauseasting sometimes (and it does).But Rooney and Farmer?? Puh-leez!! Rooney sounds like a recent broadcast school graduate and the next time Ed Farmer stops droning onandonandon will be his first.Farmer also annoys me with Player names.He'll call Kenny Lofton "Ken",and so on.It just leaves me screaming at my radio "Call him Kenny,you putz!!".And the analysis on the TV side has gone waaaayyyyy down since Paciorek left.Guess he wasn't enough of a rah rah for Uncle Jerry.DJ tries hard,but he goes nowhere.Sorry.

:firenardi

"That's life,Robin;full of ups and downs.It ill befits any of us to get too confident".
Adam West as "Batman",1966

SOXSINCE'70
02-10-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Wow, that's funny. I remember that exact exchange listening to my radio. The Sox won that game, swept the Reds (who were in first place at the time), and shortly thereafter began an incredible winning streak against New York (defending champions) and Cleveland (defending division champs).

IIRC, Thomas hit a pinch-hit homerun to win it. That's a series lots of Sox Fans overlook when they remember the Glorious 2000 Season. In my mind, it rates right up there with Abbott's pinch-hit dinger to beat the Twinkies.

I've still got the game recap for that one. We'll have it available once the archive rebuild is completed.

Thomas hit that pinch homer,the first of his career,the next afternoon in a getaway day game.The Sox rallied to win that game 7-4.Thomas gave them the lead with that pinch homer.