PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Javier Vazquez on the waiver wire (most likely fantasy talk)

CYGarland20
06-27-2006, 04:07 PM
Just heard this on The Hotlist. Not a bad idea by KW. Be nice if someone bit on him, so we can put McCarthy in the rotation. At this point I don't have alot of confidence in Vazquez. I know he has 8 wins, in part due to GREAT run support, and maybe he can turn it around in the 2nd half, but it just amazes how quickly he can BLOW up at the drop of a dime, as evident on Sunday night.

Madvora
06-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Hmmm.... how could somebody not try to take that guy?

He's had a few rough starts, but I still like the guy and he's an inning eater that doesn't get hurt either. I don't expect him to go anywhere.

AuroraSoxFan
06-27-2006, 04:14 PM
If they want to shop him they better get someone of some big value for him. His ERA is not all too good but he is durable. I just wonder if McCarthy would be ready armwise to make that move if it were to happen. Plus it may leave the pen a little depleted.

Jjav829
06-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Just heard this on The Hotlist. Not a bad idea by KW. Be nice if someone bit on him, so we can put McCarthy in the rotation. At this point I don't have alot of confidence in Vazquez. I know he has 8 wins, in part due to GREAT run support, and maybe he can turn it around in the 2nd half, but it just amazes how quickly he can BLOW up at the drop of a dime, as evident on Sunday night.
Umm, are you sure you weren't listening to a fantasy baseball discussion? I find it hard to believe that KW would have placed Javier Vazquez on waivers. Besides, "waiver wire" is really more of a fantasy term.

Chrisaway
I could see him or Garland dealt for some bullpen help if needed. I personally think its time for McCarthy to step into the rotation.

SBSoxFan
Wow. If this is true, that's a pretty quick hook. Seems like everything we are seeing from Vazquez we saw from Garland for several years, and they stuck with him.

Lorenzo Barcelo
06-27-2006, 04:16 PM

I thought they were just talking about their own fantasy leagues. Maybe I'm wrong.

cleanwsox
06-27-2006, 04:17 PM
You can bet teams like the Red Sox or Mets would be all about claiming him. Not a chance he goes anywhere.

samram
06-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Umm, are you sure you weren't listening to a fantasy baseball discussion? I find it hard to believe that KW would have placed Javier Vazquez on waivers. Besides, "waiver wire" is really more of a fantasy term.

That has to be it. There's no way he put him on waivers in June- at least in August, you can pull the guy back.

kevin57
06-27-2006, 04:20 PM
I would be a little surprised if this is true. Vazquez was brought in as a 5th starter and for that role, he has been serviceable. Also, I think KW and Coop got him only after really thinking about whether they could improve his delivery. That has happened on a couple of occasions.

I can see them moving him only if now they've come to the conclusion that he's not going to be valuable even as a 5th starter down the stretch.

Chisox003
06-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Umm, I think I'm gonna go ahead and agree with Jjav on this one.

Jjav829
06-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Umm, I think I'm gonna go ahead and agree with Jjav on this one.

Always a good thing to do. :thumbsup: :D:

CYGarland20
06-27-2006, 04:25 PM
I thought they were just talking about their own fantasy leagues. Maybe I'm wrong.I don't think so, but i could be wrong. Either way i wouldn't be surprised if he was. What with the addition of Riske, and the emergence of Thornton, and Politte coming back. That leaves McCarthy as a long reliever most likely, which IMO he should be in the starting rotation, and we can use Tracey or Montero for long relief. we'll see.............

TDog
06-27-2006, 04:31 PM
I could see him or Garland dealt for some bullpen help if needed. I personally think its time for McCarthy to step into the rotation.

Really?

You see trading a starting pitcher who would go six or seven innings in a game for a reliever who might pitch six or seven innings in two weeks? You would make the sort of GM Kenny Williams should be talking to, especially if you have a couple of good starters you want to deal.

Moving Vazquez to the bullpen would be better than trading him for a stud reliever -- say, if the Astros wanted to trade Lidge or Qualls.

chaerulez
06-27-2006, 04:32 PM
I don't see this being reported on any major sports website or any of the local sports radio stations.

CHIsoxNation
06-27-2006, 04:32 PM
I don't think so, but i could be wrong. Either way i wouldn't be surprised if he was. What with the addition of Riske, and the emergence of Thornton, and Politte coming back. That leaves McCarthy as a long reliever most likely, which IMO he should be in the starting rotation, and we can use Tracey or Montero for long relief. we'll see.............

Wasn't that Brandon's job going into the season anyway?

Hitmen77
06-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Javy has had some very good starts in between his meltdowns. It's way to early to give up on him. Where would the Sox be if we gave up on Contreras at this time last season?

I really hope Coop can stop these meltdowns. Sunday's game was a perfect example. The first 6 runs scored with 2 outs. I didn't keep track, but it wouldn't surprise me if alot of those runs scored with Vazquez only 1 strike away from getting out of the inning. He has good stuff. It just that he seems to choke under pressure and can't nail down the final out. I'd really be interesting in hearing an interview with Coop where he expressed his thoughts on what's wrong with Vazquez.

kittle42
06-27-2006, 04:41 PM
Do some people here only listen to half of every sentence?

Will the same people discussing this seriously come in during football season and post rumors after hearing on the radio that "the best bet is to bench Larry Johnson this week?" :cool:

Chicken Dinner
06-27-2006, 04:50 PM
There would be no reason to put Javy on waivers. It doesn't make any baseball sense. It's not even past the trade deadline and I'm sure there is no plan to release him.

Waivers
Waivers just might be the most complicated single aspect of the rules. In the rule book, a waiver is defined as "... a permission granted for certain assignments of player contracts or for the unconditional release of a Major League player ..."
If a player placed on Major League waivers is not claimed by another team during the three business days after waivers have been requested, then the players is said to have "cleared waivers," and the team has secured waivers for the remainder of the waiver period.
And what does that mean? Essentially, the team can do with the player's contract as it pleases. This generally means one of three things:
(1) They can send him to the minors (subject to his consent, if he's a "Veteran Player," more on that below).
(2) They can release him, which makes the player a free agent and thus available to sign with any team.
(3) They can trade him to another team, even if the so-called "trading deadline" has passed. Any trades made after July 31 may only involve players who have cleared waivers.
If a player doesn't clear waivers -- in other words, if he's claimed by another team or teams -- the club requesting waivers may withdraw the waiver request.
If the club doesn't withdraw the waiver request, the player's contract is assigned in the following manner:

(A) If only one claim is entered, the player's contract is assigned to that claiming club.
(B) If more than one club in the same league makes claims, the club currently lower in the standings gets the player.
(C) If clubs in both leagues claim the player, preference shall always go to the club in the same league as the club requesting waivers.There are other, more esoteric rules involved here. For example, during the first 30 days of the season, the previous season's final standings are used to determine claim order, rather than the current standings.

Ol' No. 2
06-27-2006, 04:59 PM
There would be no reason to put Javy on waivers. It doesn't make any baseball sense. It's not even past the trade deadline and I'm sure there is no plan to release him.No ****. This has got to be the dumbest rumor I've ever heard. It makes absolutely no sense.

LuvSox
06-27-2006, 05:03 PM
No ****. This has got to be the dumbest rumor I've ever heard. It makes absolutely no sense.

Dumbest. Rumor. Ever.

DickAllen72
06-27-2006, 05:09 PM
It's my understanding that GM's put players on waivers all the time, just to see who may be interested. If someone puts in a claim, they pull them off waivers and see what the interested team(s) may be willing to offer in trade. It's really not that unusual from what I've heard.

Also, I believe waiver lists are supposed to be confidential, although I do recall hearing reports such as "Team X has requested waivers on player Y for the purpose of giving him his unconditional release."

munchman33
06-27-2006, 05:47 PM
It's my understanding that GM's put players on waivers all the time, just to see who may be interested. If someone puts in a claim, they pull them off waivers and see what the interested team(s) may be willing to offer in trade. It's really not that unusual from what I've heard.

Also, I believe waiver lists are supposed to be confidential, although I do recall hearing reports such as "Team X has requested waivers on player Y for the purpose of giving him his unconditional release."

Only after August. If the sox waived his contract now, and no one picked him up, they'd have to pay it all now and Javy would be a free agent. This has got to be the most ludacris thread I've ever encountered.

06-27-2006, 05:51 PM
I would be a little surprised if this is true. Vazquez was brought in as a 5th starter and for that role, he has been serviceable. Also, I think KW and Coop got him only after really thinking about whether they could improve his delivery. That has happened on a couple of occasions.

I can see them moving him only if now they've come to the conclusion that he's not going to be valuable even as a 5th starter down the stretch.

8 wins at this point from your #5 guy has been more then serviceable, yeah he has been iffy at points, but I feel confident we can get a W out of him everytime he goes out

Ol' No. 2
06-27-2006, 05:57 PM
8 wins at this point from your #5 guy has been more then serviceable, yeah he has been iffy at points, but I feel confident we can get a W out of him everytime he goes outHow was Jose Contreras looking this time last year? I'm not the least bit surprised he's still struggling. His problems aren't going to be cured overnight. (Although they can start by putting electrodes in his groin that deliver 100V every time he shakes off a catcher's sign).:angry:

Frater Perdurabo
06-27-2006, 05:59 PM
Dumbest. Rumor. Ever.

Oh yeah? Dumber than this? Well I overheard Tony Kornhesier talking on his cell phone at the Carl's, Jr. fast food restaurant outside the Phoenix airport. He was telling the other person that the Sox have traded Konerko, and Thome for Carl Pavano, have agreed in principle to trade Garland, Vazquez and Uribe for Carl Everett, and plan to acquire Carl Crawford off of waivers from Tampa Bay. Three moves for three guys named Carl. Talk about some hot rumours! That Kornheiser can't get enough Carls!

Brian26
06-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Only after August. If the sox waived his contract now, and no one picked him up, they'd have to pay it all now and Javy would be a free agent. This has got to be the most ludacris thread I've ever encountered.

Yes, this is correct. Someone doesn't know what they're talking about. The July 31 trading deadline is sometimes referred to as the "waiver trading deadline". As far as I understand it, waivers after 7/31 are revocable. If a player is claimed, you can pull him back. If he gets through waivers without any claims, you can do a number of things with him (including trade him). Waivers prior to 7/31 are irrevocable. If someone claims a player you placed on waivers, they get to keep him.

Now here's the part I'm not 100% sure about...when the Red Sox put Manny on waivers a couple of years ago, I believe it was irrevocable waivers. Not 100% sure on that. Obviously nobody claimed him, so they just kept him.

mjmcend
06-27-2006, 06:27 PM
Yes, this is correct. Someone doesn't know what they're talking about. The July 31 trading deadline is sometimes referred to as the "waiver trading deadline". As far as I understand it, waivers after 7/31 are revocable. If a player is claimed, you can pull him back. If he gets through waivers without any claims, you can do a number of things with him (including trade him). Waivers prior to 7/31 are irrevocable. If someone claims a player you placed on waivers, they get to keep him.

Now here's the part I'm not 100% sure about...when the Red Sox put Manny on waivers a couple of years ago, I believe it was irrevocable waivers. Not 100% sure on that. Obviously nobody claimed him, so they just kept him.

Manny was put on irrevocable waivers but he was owed 60+ million at the time and no one wanted to risk it.

Ol' No. 2
06-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Manny was put on irrevocable waivers but he was owed 60+ million at the time and no one wanted to risk it.IIRC, it was during one of his many "Manny wants to be traded" periods. They were sending him a message.

Chisox003
06-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Dumbest. Rumor. Ever.
Wait until July

MarySwiss
06-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Javy has had some very good starts in between his meltdowns. It's way to early to give up on him. Where would the Sox be if we gave up on Contreras at this time last season?

I really hope Coop can stop these meltdowns. Sunday's game was a perfect example. The first 6 runs scored with 2 outs. I didn't keep track, but it wouldn't surprise me if alot of those runs scored with Vazquez only 1 strike away from getting out of the inning. He has good stuff. It just that he seems to choke under pressure and can't nail down the final out. I'd really be interesting in hearing an interview with Coop where he expressed his thoughts on what's wrong with Vazquez.

Yep, Javy has flirted once or twice with a no-hitter. And why in the world would the Sox put him on waivers? We are pitching-rich, and very few teams can make that claim. If another team covets any of our pitchers, they need to approach KW, not the other way around.

DickAllen72
06-27-2006, 09:46 PM
Only after August. If the sox waived his contract now, and no one picked him up, they'd have to pay it all now and Javy would be a free agent.

Thanks for clearing that up.