PDA

View Full Version : So are NL Central teams intentionally losing to get back at the White Sox...

miker
06-27-2006, 01:02 PM
...or does that whole division really stink?

I vote for the latter. They're all brutal.

ewokpelts
06-27-2006, 01:26 PM
...or does that whole division really stink?

I vote for the latter. They're all brutal.they just suck

miker
06-27-2006, 01:31 PM
they just suck
Wasn't it in the NL West one year that the winning team didn't even make .500? It could happen again!

Uncle_Patrick
06-27-2006, 01:33 PM
Why would they lose to get back at the White Sox? They're just overmatched.

WizardsofOzzie
06-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Why would they lose to get back at the White Sox? They're just overmatched.

Because the sox beat the hell out of them and now we need them all to beat the tigers but they aren't putting up much of a fight. Conspiracy i tell ya!!

skottyj242
06-27-2006, 01:49 PM
I'm confused.

southwstchi4life
06-27-2006, 01:49 PM
It is nice to see too. I remember all the years people would tell me as a white sox fan how weak our division was. Even though it wasnt always as strong as it is now, there was always contenders. A.L. dominates, bueatiful site

Uncle_Patrick
06-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Because the sox beat the hell out of them and now we need them all to beat the tigers but they aren't putting up much of a fight. Conspiracy i tell ya!!

Ah, I see, just like how the Sox have been stealing the signs of every team they've beat this year.

miker
06-27-2006, 01:57 PM
That's the thought that inspired this thread. A conspiracy seems absolutely absurd, but all of the NL Central teams are just roadkill in the AL Central's rear view mirror.

kittle42
06-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Yes. NL Central teams are indeed losing to get back at the White Sox for defeating them. I thought this notion was completely baseless, until I saw this Tony LaRussa quote from the other day, after the Cards took it on the chin yet again against the Tigers:

"Those White Sox...they think they're so great with their World Series and their 3-game sweep of our team? Well, we really showed them when we played Detroit. How many games did you gain on your precious winning streak, Ozzie, cause we taid down three straight to Detroit and we're *still* in first?!?! Ha!!!!"

I thought this might be just one team, but then Dusty Baker concurred:

"Dude, we're not that bad...of course we lost to the Tigers just to mess things up for the Sox, dude."

So congrats to the original poster...your theory has turned out to be true.

AuroraSoxFan
06-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Wasn't it in the NL West one year that the winning team didn't even make .500? It could happen again!

That was SD last year. They finished like 2 games over 500. And if I remember they only finished above 500 because they went on a surge the last week of the season. The entire NL except the Mets is looking pretty bad.

Uncle_Patrick
06-27-2006, 02:19 PM
Yes. NL Central teams are indeed losing to get back at the White Sox for defeating them. I thought this notion was completely baseless, until I saw this Tony LaRussa quote from the other day, after the Cards took it on the chin yet again against the Tigers:

"Those White Sox...they think they're so great with their World Series and their 3-game sweep of our team? Well, we really showed them when we played Detroit. How many games did you gain on your precious winning streak, Ozzie, cause we taid down three straight to Detroit and we're *still* in first?!?! Ha!!!!"

I thought this might be just one team, but then Dusty Baker concurred:

"Dude, we're not that bad...of course we lost to the Tigers just to mess things up for the Sox, dude."

So congrats to the original poster...your theory has turned out to be true.

You forgot to add that since the Sox stole signs from the Cardinals, the Cards decided that they would just give the signs to Detroit and Cleveland ahead of time to get revenge on the Sox.

itsnotrequired
06-27-2006, 02:43 PM
I'm confused.

Me too. I think he is suggesting that the NL Central is laying down against the Tigers to "get back" at the White Sox. Why they would do this, i have no idea.

The NL Central is laying down against the White Sox to screw the Tigers!

:rolleyes:

TDog
06-27-2006, 02:59 PM
I am sure Tony LaRussa and Dusty Baker ordered their teams to lose to spite the Sox, and everyone followed orders and didn't say a word. Actually, I'm sure that isn't the case at all. If LaRussa was confirming that his team intentionally lost games, he would have to be suspended by the league and probably have his contract voided by the Cardinals. He spoke out of frustration. LaRussa should have won a World Series for the Sox, and here a kid that he used to manage in Chicago is more successful than he was (except when he managed the 'roids gang.)

The Sox sent St. Louis into a tailspin. Mulder went on the DL after his start in Chicago, and the bullpen has been overworked. Puljos isn't totally up to speed yet.

Houston's loss to the Tigers was helped by the Sox on Sunday night wearing down the Astros' bullpen, which let a close game turn into a late rout. A close play at first base Monday exposed the Astros' frustrations. There was even chair throwing.

The Sox are 10-2 against the NL Central, and the Tigers, are 11-2. That's part of the reason they have the league's best two records. The Yankees have had to play tough teams from the East, losing as many games to the Nationals as the Sox have lost to the National League. Interleague play also has coincided with the Twins finding some mojo with their starting rotation.

Right now, the NL Central is overmatched. In April that might not have been the case, at least to the same degree. Who knows if the difference would be as extreme if such a matchup is there in October.

Lip Man 1
06-27-2006, 03:15 PM
In 1994 at the time the season stopped due to the labor impasse (August 12) the Texas Rangers were in first place in the A.L. West with a record TEN GAMES BELOW .500.

Had the season played out, the odds were very good they would have been the first team in history to qualify for baseball's post season with a losing record. (The 73 Mets, I think, hold the record for 'worst record to qualify' with 83 wins...)

Lip

TDog
06-27-2006, 03:34 PM
In 1994 at the time the season stopped due to the labor impasse (August 12) the Texas Rangers were in first place in the A.L. West with a record TEN GAMES BELOW .500.

Had the season played out, the odds were very good they would have been the first team in history to qualify for baseball's post season with a losing record. (The 73 Mets, I think, hold the record for 'worst record to qualify' with 83 wins...)

Lip

They beat the Cubs on the last day of the season to get No. 83 and clinch the division. The second game of the doubleheader was postponed due to indifference as much as inclement weather, so the Mets missed their shot at No. 84.