PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 6-28

Lip Man 1
06-27-2006, 12:14 PM
A difficult day in Sox history...

June 28, 1973- The ill fortune of the team really came into focus, as by the time the summer ended, a team that was in first place for two months wound up placing 38 names on the injured list!

Among the key injuries were Ken Henderson tearing up his knee sliding into home plate, Bill Melton suffering a groin injury, Carlos May with a bad hamstring, Brian Downing wrenching his knee on his first major league play, catching a foul pop up and Pat Kelly having a bad back.

But the most damming injury occurred in Anaheim on the day listed above. Dick Allen suffered a broken leg when Mike Epstein crashed into him on a play at first. Allen was stretching to grab a wild throw from 3rd baseman Bill Melton. Here’s where it really gets strange.....the injury took place just a little over ten years since Sox first baseman Joe Cunningham suffered his broken collarbone against the same team on the same type of play with the Sox in first place!

June 28, 1993- In the first of what would become a series of major public relations disasters, the White Sox release Carlton Fisk on the road in Cleveland.

Fisk accompanied the team to Ohio only to be told of his release before the game. No question, Fisk was finished as a player but the fans and media were outraged at the way the Sox handled the situation. In fact, the Sox sent faxes to the media announcing the move, not even having the courtesy to hold a press conference. Fisk had to say his goodbyes to his former teammates from the stands at Municipal Stadium during that evening’s game before returning to Chicago. (Donn Pall talks about this in his interview with WSI)

Lip

wdelaney72
06-27-2006, 12:38 PM
June 28, 1993- In the first of what would become a series of major public relations disasters, the White Sox release Carlton Fisk on the road in Cleveland.

Fisk accompanied the team to Ohio only to be told of his release before the game. No question, Fisk was finished as a player but the fans and media were outraged at the way the Sox handled the situation. In fact, the Sox sent faxes to the media announcing the move, not even having the courtesy to hold a press conference. Fisk had to say his goodbyes to his former teammates from the stands at Municipal Stadium during that evening’s game before returning to Chicago. (Donn Pall talks about this in his interview with WSI)

Lip

Ugh, I think we would all like to forget this ever happened.

beckett21
06-27-2006, 12:47 PM
Ugh, I think we would all like to forget this ever happened.

No kidding. He wasn't even allowed into the clubhouse. It was absolutely disgusting.

A dark day, indeed. :(:

Minnie Me
06-27-2006, 01:22 PM
A Joe Cunningham reference. Can't let that pass. Did anyone ever split as well as Joe did on that stretch play going for the throw?

Ol' No. 2
06-27-2006, 01:32 PM
No kidding. He wasn't even allowed into the clubhouse. It was absolutely disgusting.

A dark day, indeed. :(:I still don't get that whole thing. Why in the world was he treated this way? It certainly wasn't the norm. Something must have been going on behind the scenes. Anyone know?

Lip Man 1
06-27-2006, 03:10 PM
A few points:

Minnie -- Cunningham may have been the finest fielding first baseman in the history of the team. He made plays not seen on the South Side since the days of Joe Kuhel.

No. 2 -- Everyone that I've spoken with about this 'incident' points the finger squarely at Jumbotron Ron Schueler. Apparently he didn't have the guts to either face Fisk directly or face the media. Coming on the heels just a few days earlier of 'Carlton Fisk Night' at Comiskey Park where he set the record for games caught and you get the feeling this was all planned well in advance.

Dr. Beck -- The being barred from the clubhouse took place before game #1 of the ALCS.

Lip

PaulDrake
06-27-2006, 03:36 PM
My memory is not perfect but I seem to recall that Dick Allen went airborne trying to catch Melton's errant throw, and that he came down hard on the leg, in addition to the collision with Epstein. 1973 was truly a bizarre and heartbreaking year. After being near death from 68-70 the Sox really came back on the field and at the gate in 72. Hopes were soooo high before the 73 season. Then one thing after another. It was surreal. The Tanner White Sox never regained their momentum and by the end of the 75 season were ticketed for Seattle.

Ol' No. 2
06-27-2006, 03:56 PM
A few points:

Minnie -- Cunningham may have been the finest fielding first baseman in the history of the team. He made plays not seen on the South Side since the days of Joe Kuhel.

No. 2 -- Everyone that I've spoken with about this 'incident' points the finger squarely at Jumbotron Ron Schueler. Apparently he didn't have the guts to either face Fisk directly or face the media. Coming on the heels just a few days earlier of 'Carlton Fisk Night' at Comiskey Park where he set the record for games caught and you get the feeling this was all planned well in advance.

Dr. Beck -- The being barred from the clubhouse took place before game #1 of the ALCS.

LipAs I recall it, there was some friction caused by Fisk wanting to hang on long enough to break the record, even though his skills were gone. They were in a division race (which they eventually won) and didn't want to have to deal with Fisk's inability to throw runners out. I'm not sure how much that entered into it.

FWIW, I was there on Fisk night. I will never forget seeing the CF gates open and Bo Jackson riding in on the motorcycle. Fisk was pulled from the game mid-way through, but he hung around signing autographs for at least an hour after the game.

EdHerman12
06-27-2006, 04:44 PM
I sure remember the Dick Allen injury....without him especially we couldn't beat Oakland.

GO SOX!

white sox bill
06-27-2006, 05:06 PM
Seems to me regarding Allen, seeing a newspaper pic of him on both hands doing what appeared to be a handwheel. Bad injury. I was soooo disappointed that he was hurt.

beckett21
06-27-2006, 08:34 PM
A few points:

Lip

Thanks Lip. Your memory is unbelievable. :smile:

My memory of the exact series of events is cloudy, but like ON2 said I do remember that they treated him poorly. One would think that there had to be more going on behind the scenes.

A journeyman wouldn't deserve the treatment Fisk got, much less someone of his stature in the game.

michned
06-27-2006, 09:25 PM
...Brian Downing wrenching his knee on his first major league play...

Someone help refresh my memory. I think I was at this game, sitting right behind home plate against the Tigers. I believe Downing was playing 3rd, and the batter popped up a bunt between 3rd and home. Downing ran in, dove, and made the catch. I just remember my Dad yelling, "Get it!"

And he did and lay on the ground clutching his knee. At least that's how I think I remember it.

MadetoOrta
06-27-2006, 10:48 PM
Hey Lip,

Didn't Kevin Bell blow out his knee in his first game in the bigs? He was the next great thing at 3d base if I recall correctly.

MTO

Wsoxmike59
06-28-2006, 07:43 AM
Someone help refresh my memory. I think I was at this game, sitting right behind home plate against the Tigers. I believe Downing was playing 3rd, and the batter popped up a bunt between 3rd and home. Downing ran in, dove, and made the catch. I just remember my Dad yelling, "Get it!"

And he did and lay on the ground clutching his knee. At least that's how I think I remember it.

You're correct michned, that's exactly how it happened. That was Brian Downing's big league debut, and he goes down with an injury on the first play he was ever involved in.

I remember the Kevin Bell injury too, but don't know if that happened in his first big league game or not.

Kevin Bell was going to be a major talent until he tore his knee to shreds on that play (sliding in to either 3B or Home, I can't remember, it's been so long)

Lip Man 1
06-28-2006, 03:38 PM
Roland Hemond was just telling me about Downing's injury this past weekend. Roland said he literally was parallel to the ground when he made the catch but his legs then scissored and the whiplash tore up the knee.

Bell tore apart his knee in a collision at home plate with Manny Sanguillen of the A's. It was not his first major league game but it was one of his last ones.

Lip