PDA

View Full Version : Sox Must Continue to Feast on NL Central

ozziesox13
06-27-2006, 01:41 AM
Hopefully the White Sox will continue their dominance over the pitiful National League Central today. I actually fear the lousy teams the most, because sometimes the Sox tend to play down to the competition.

But, since they are chasing the Tigers, maybe they will play the Pirates and Cubs as if it is the World Series. As annyoing as this Tigers run is, I believe it will push the White Sox to play their butts off all year long. They will not open up a 15 game lead as they did last year. They will have to keep the pdeal to the metal all season long, and win as many games as they possibly can.

They must stick it to the Pirates starting tonight. I'm looking for at least 5 wins out of 6 against the Pirates and Cubs but the White Sox need to really stick it to the teams they need to beat. Hopefully the Astros can wake up and beat the Tigers behind Clemens tonight. I'm looking for the Tigers to drop 2 while the Sox win to at least be in a tie for first place in the next couple days.

Of course, what will be most paramount is how the Sox play the Tigers for the rest of the year. With 13 games left, the Sox have a shot to finally bring the Tigers down a bit if they continue to dominate them as they have so far this season.

QCIASOXFAN
06-27-2006, 03:08 AM
That is a pretty funny thought, play the Cubs and Pirates like it is the World Series. I think I am honestly more worried (not that worried) about dropping one to the Pirates than the scrubs. I know they have Zambozo on the mound Sunday and normally that would be a minor cause for concern, but I think we are going to be more than ready to put the hammer down on him this time.

Lip Man 1
06-27-2006, 12:02 PM
The Pirates are still a major league team. They have lost 11 straight games...the law of averages says they've got to win a game sooner or later and those odds increase with every additional game they lose.

Lip

nebraskasox
06-27-2006, 12:06 PM
I hope the Pirates' odds of winning go way up after losing the next 3.

cleanwsox
06-27-2006, 12:06 PM
The Pirates are still a major league team. They have lost 11 straight games...the law of averages says they've got to win a game sooner or later and those odds increase with every additional game they lose.

Lip

True, but I thought the same thing with the first place Cardinals heading into Detroit on a 3 game losing streak and look what happened there. Let's make it 14 straight for these guys.

Lip Man 1
06-27-2006, 12:25 PM
Clean:

Big difference mathematically between losing four in a row and 11 but we'll see.

That's why I absolutely never, never want to play teams with those kind of losing streaks...it's almost invertible they are going to win a game.

Lip

Hitmen77
06-27-2006, 12:47 PM
Clean:

Big difference mathematically between losing four in a row and 11 but we'll see.

That's why I absolutely never, never want to play teams with those kind of losing streaks...it's almost invertible they are going to win a game.

Lip

I certainly hope no one on the White Sox is thinking that way! Once the Sox take the field tonight - you can throw that law of averages out the window. I don't think Buehrle is any more likely to lose tonight just because the Pirates have lost 10 straight.

Also, hasn't the whole "law of averages" for winning/losing games been thrown out of whack by interleague play? Look at the standings under the "Last 10" column today. Sox, Tigers, Twins, Red Sox all 9-1. Royals 7-3. I mean, what are the odds in regular AL matchups of all these teams being that hot all at once?

fusillirob1983
06-27-2006, 01:04 PM
I mean, what are the odds in regular AL matchups of all these teams being that hot all at once?

Pretty good, they're playing the NL Central.

Frater Perdurabo
06-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Clean:

Lip

I know the comparison isn't entirely the same, but just because you've flipped a coin and it's landed heads 10 times in a row does not make it more likely that it will land tails on the 11th flip.

Similarly, there are two things that can happen to a team in any one game: win or lose (well, rainout/postponed, but that's beside the point). But it's not 50-50. The Sox are the better team far and away.

Still, it doesn't matter what the Pirates' or the Sox' record is in previous games. It's only a matter of who best utilizes their talent, who performs better and who is better mentally prepared.

If the Dark Clouds simply must worry about something, worry about the Sox taking the Pirates too lightly and taking these three games for granted.

MUScholar21
06-27-2006, 01:27 PM
Did anyone else see this thread and immediately think, "Who HASN'T feasted on the NL Central?"

sox1970
06-27-2006, 01:48 PM
I agree about this week being somewhat scary, considering these are games they have to win. With everyone in the AL killing the NL, it's going to drive up the final number of wins it's going to take to win the wildcard. It may take 95-97 games now. Do I fear the Sox will drop below this pace? Not really, but it could happen if injuries start popping up. For that reason, I think it's extremely important that the Sox continue to win games against the NL.

Lip Man 1
06-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Sox 70:

Just FYI, since the wild card format was introduced, four times (all in the A.L.) a club has won 94 games (or more) and NOT made the post season.

Lip

SBSoxFan
06-27-2006, 03:10 PM

Lip

I thought the same thing about the, what was it, the '88 (?) Orioles that lost 23 games to start the season. :o:

Lip Man 1
06-27-2006, 03:22 PM
SB:

Actually it was 21 and just whom did they beat for their first win?

:rolleyes:

Lip

SBSoxFan
06-27-2006, 03:28 PM
SB:

Actually it was 21 and just whom did they beat for their first win?

:rolleyes:

Lip

Lip:

The White Sox? I actually didn't remember that part. Must've blocked it out!

sox1970
06-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Sox 70:

Just FYI, since the wild card format was introduced, four times (all in the A.L.) a club has won 94 games (or more) and NOT made the post season.

Lip

Has there ever been a year where the better AL teams dominated like this? The likelihood of it taking 95-97 wins is low, but there is an outside chance it could happen if the key players--Sox, Tigers, Yankees, Red Sox all have big second halves. My point--keep winning because you never know.

Iwritecode
06-27-2006, 03:47 PM
Sox 70:

Lip

Did you mean 93 games? I just looked and 4 teams have won 93 games and still missed the playoffs.

2002 Red Sox
2002 Mariners
2003 Mariners
2005 Indians

No team has won 94 games or more and missed the playoffs since the wild card has been introduced.

Rounding_Third
06-27-2006, 04:02 PM
Did anyone else see this thread and immediately think, "Who HASN'T feasted on the NL Central?"

Cleveland! I think Ozzie named Wedge as an All Star coach as his going away present. And their "Best GM" Shapiro did such a fine job putting together a championship caliber team.

Lip Man 1
06-28-2006, 03:43 PM
Code:

It is 93 wins...my bad!

SB:

Yep the Sox got shelled 9-0 for the O's first win that year.

Interesting quote from Mark Buehrle to the Tribune's Mark Gonzales:

"I'd rather face a team like the Yankees or Red Sox than these guys because they have lost so many in a row they come out and try to win. It's almost like they're due for a win."

Lip

fquaye149
06-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Clean:

Lip

Except it's not exACTLY mathematics. It's a lousy lousy team, one of the worst in baseball, playing a great team, one of the best in baseball.

This three game series should be treated individually. In the long run those 11 games can be considered in terms of how probable it was that they would lose x games in a row. But for this three game series you have to consider what are the odds a team 25 games BELOW .500 would beat a team 25 games ABOVE .500. Honestly, I wouldn't say that a last place team like the Bucs beats a first place team like the Sox maybe MAYBE 25% of the time at best. So them getting swept by us is about a 1 in 64 proposition. Long odds, but certainly not astronomical.

And once again, it's not mathematics. We're better than them. They'll rack up 60 or so wins this year, but not against us, the Tigers or the Mets, most likely.

ondafarm
06-28-2006, 05:11 PM

Is this a trick question?

How about the Kansas City Royals? Nah, they actually seem to be doing well.

How about the National League East?