PDA

View Full Version : Why is Nancy Faust Playing Less?

ozziesox13
06-26-2006, 09:27 PM
I have heard rumors, and I'm not sure what is fact and what is fiction concerning Nancy Faust's limited playing time this year. I don't know about anybody else, but personally, I miss her playing a lot. Perhaps that is because I remember the days in the late 70s when I began going to Sox games as a young child and she played all game long.

Nancy brings some wonderfully funny moments by playing bits from songs, bringing satire to plate appearances of opposing players, and a subtlty to the game that is lost when canned blaring rock music is played all night. I don't mind the rock introductions for each player, but I want a balance between organ and rock, personally.

I've heard rumors the Brooks Boyer is a rock guy who doesn't want organ music and is phasing Nancy Faust out. I don't know if that is true, but if it is, I propose to start a big "Keep Nancy" petition for all Sox fans who are interested. I love the product on the field of course, but when Nancy is not there, I really believe it takes away from the overall experience watching the Sox at home...

HawkDJ
06-26-2006, 09:33 PM
This has been mentioned a lot but Nancy chose to only do day games this year.

itsnotrequired
06-26-2006, 09:35 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=3117

ewokpelts
06-27-2006, 12:29 PM
I have heard rumors, and I'm not sure what is fact and what is fiction concerning Nancy Faust's limited playing time this year. I don't know about anybody else, but personally, I miss her playing a lot. Perhaps that is because I remember the days in the late 70s when I began going to Sox games as a young child and she played all game long.

Nancy brings some wonderfully funny moments by playing bits from songs, bringing satire to plate appearances of opposing players, and a subtlty to the game that is lost when canned blaring rock music is played all night. I don't mind the rock introductions for each player, but I want a balance between organ and rock, personally.

I've heard rumors the Brooks Boyer is a rock guy who doesn't want organ music and is phasing Nancy Faust out. I don't know if that is true, but if it is, I propose to start a big "Keep Nancy" petition for all Sox fans who are interested. I love the product on the field of course, but when Nancy is not there, I really believe it takes away from the overall experience watching the Sox at home...for a new user, you sure seem to neatly point out all the pro-nancy point sin a few paragraphs....

TheDarkGundam
06-27-2006, 01:28 PM
We love Nancy. Brooks knows we love Nancy (Remember "Nothing but Nancy" day?)
If the Sox ever got rid of her 100%, it would be a HUGE mistake and I'm pretty sure they know that.

DachnoPiitu
06-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Love Nancy and I loved Rooney.

For some reason I don't think the Sox/Score wanted to pay Rooney. I miss him a lot. He sounds great with the Cards.

As far as Nancy, she's been doing it forever, and she wont be able to do it forever. We all love her dearly. However, I think it is another Sox/U.S. Cellular conspiracy to "phase her out":(: When it's time to say goodbye... well... :whiner:

BRDSR
06-27-2006, 01:36 PM
I met her son about four months ago. I asked him why she would be playing less and he said it was purely a personal preference of hers. After 30 years in the business, she wants to work less. Sounds reasonable, you only have to work, what...25 years for the government before you can retire? Anyway, according to her son it was entirely her decision to play less.

TornLabrum
06-27-2006, 01:50 PM
I met her son about four months ago. I asked him why she would be playing less and he said it was purely a personal preference of hers. After 30 years in the business, she wants to work less. Sounds reasonable, you only have to work, what...25 years for the government before you can retire? Anyway, according to her son it was entirely her decision to play less.

And according to Nancy it is.

spiffie
06-27-2006, 02:18 PM
I have noticed in the last week or two that a lot of the musical traditions of the Sox have been phased out lately. Nancy playing part time is one thing, especially since she at least says it was her decision.

But a lot of the other musical bits have disappeared. Earlier this year when the other team pulled their pitcher they would play the recording of Na-Na Hey-Hey. That hasn't happened lately. It also hasn't been played at the ends of games except when Nancy is there to play it live. Others have mentioned that instead of "Sweet Home Chicago" we get the new Bon Jovi song that has been tied in with MLB. I don't want to sound all Hangar-ish and put on the tinfoil hat, but it seems like the last month or so has seen a lot of movement towards homogenizing the ballpark experience. Perhaps the assumption is with so many new fans flocking in they can do these new things without the uproar they might get if the place was only drawing the diehards who know every little bit of tradition inside and out.

bludupree
06-27-2006, 02:19 PM

Yea but she only works half the year so shouldn't she have to work 50 years?

SouthSide_HitMen
06-27-2006, 04:27 PM
I have noticed in the last week or two that a lot of the musical traditions of the Sox have been phased out lately. Nancy playing part time is one thing, especially since she at least says it was her decision.

But a lot of the other musical bits have disappeared. Earlier this year when the other team pulled their pitcher they would play the recording of Na-Na Hey-Hey. That hasn't happened lately. It also hasn't been played at the ends of games except when Nancy is there to play it live. Others have mentioned that instead of "Sweet Home Chicago" we get the new Bon Jovi song that has been tied in with MLB. I don't want to sound all Hangar-ish and put on the tinfoil hat, but it seems like the last month or so has seen a lot of movement towards homogenizing the ballpark experience. Perhaps the assumption is with so many new fans flocking in they can do these new things without the uproar they might get if the place was only drawing the diehards who know every little bit of tradition inside and out.

I have to agree with this. Some they reversed right back when the crowd became outright motley (when they tried to replace Na Na Na Na with Bad Bad LeRoy Brown).

A Sox fans want at this point is for the DJ crew to not **** things up the 2/3 of the games she isn't there and hope they hire a replacement next season for games she wants off (and hope she bumps up her schedule to possibly 40 games).

06-27-2006, 04:47 PM
I believe she is doing the bigger night games....

DannyCaterFan
06-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Any reason they just can't play some recordings of Nancy's work during night games?? Just mix it up with the rock music at certain times.

paciorek1983
06-27-2006, 06:10 PM
With the bigger crowds, this is exactly why Nancy recordings/organ music should still be played. New fans should be introduced to the "Orignal Classic White Sox Baseball Experience."--not the NBA experience or the (fill-in-the-ballpark here) experience.

I'm tired of everything turning generic from all sports arenas to shopping malls to radio stations.

This country was built on orignality, let's keep it that way. (Sorry if that sounds too political.)

Tokes
06-27-2006, 06:46 PM
I especially liked Nancy's version of Bon Jovi's Livin on a Prayer at the victory parade.

chisoxfanatic
06-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Is there any word on if there will be a "Nothing But Nancy Day" again this year? Last year's was awesome!

TornLabrum
06-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Is there any word on if there will be a "Nothing But Nancy Day" again this year? Last year's was awesome!

I'm pretty sure that was a one-time deal.

CallMeNuts
06-28-2006, 09:09 AM
Yea but she only works half the year so shouldn't she have to work 50 years?

That's a much higher percent of the year than many government employees "work".

BeefyD
06-28-2006, 10:42 AM
Why are 2 of the top ten posts on this board questions that have been beat to death over the past 7 months. Is the search command broken?

FoulTerritory
06-28-2006, 10:51 AM
Why are 2 of the top ten posts on this board questions that have been beat to death over the past 7 months. Is the search command broken?
I'm actually glad that this issue has resurfaced, for two reasons.

a) I think it is important to keep this issue at the forefront of discussion so that people don't get off Brooks' ass about it. He needs to realize that the musical culture at Cellular is important to his core fan base -- because it is.

b) Like another poster said, the situation has gotten worse! They stopped playing recordings of Kiss Him Goodbye after any homeruns or victories, thus totally depriving us of our loved tradition. What gives?

I mean, the aesthetic feel of night games, with regards to music, has totally sucked this year, and seems to be getting worse. Can we please have organ music back at night? If not Nancy, then some recordings of her, and if not that, perhaps take the time to find an appropriate replacement/nancy protege . . .