PDA

View Full Version : NY Times on Ozzie

Fenway
06-26-2006, 07:49 PM
Lead story in Monday's Times.

Ozzie has been generating a lot of talk in the east but I think Bill Madden hit the nail on the head yesterday when he called Ozzie a latin version of Billy Martin, a great manager who never knew when to keep his mouth shut.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/26/sports/baseball/26guillen.html

By JACK CURRY (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/c/jack_curry/index.html?inline=nyt-per)
Published: June 26, 2006
CHICAGO, June 25 — Ozzie Guillén is breathing, so he must be talking. His haphazard dash through his potential minefield of a vocabulary will inevitably include talking baseball, cursing, teasing people, talking more baseball and maybe offending someone, too. And then explaining why he did not mean it.

MarySwiss
06-26-2006, 07:53 PM
Lead story in Monday's Times.

Ozzie has been generating a lot of talk in the east but I think Bill Madden hit the nail on the head yesterday when he called Ozzie a latin version of Billy Martin, a great manager who never knew when to keep his mouth shut.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/26/sports/baseball/26guillen.html

By JACK CURRY (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/c/jack_curry/index.html?inline=nyt-per)
Published: June 26, 2006
CHICAGO, June 25 — Ozzie Guillén is breathing, so he must be talking. His haphazard dash through his potential minefield of a vocabulary will inevitably include talking baseball, cursing, teasing people, talking more baseball and maybe offending someone, too. And then explaining why he did not mean it.

So? C'mon, Fens; I scanned it--didn't read it word-for-word; life's too short--but there doesn't seem to be anything new here. And once again, who cares what the New York Times thinks?

Fenway
06-26-2006, 08:21 PM
So? C'mon, Fens; I scanned it--didn't read it word-for-word; life's too short--but there doesn't seem to be anything new here. And once again, who cares what the New York Times thinks?

Reason I posted it was it seemed like a fair article.

Ozzie has to be very careful now especially with the All-Star Game coming up. I really think comparing him to Billy Martin was right on the money.

Vernam
06-26-2006, 08:34 PM
So? C'mon, Fens; I scanned it--didn't read it word-for-word; life's too short--but there doesn't seem to be anything new here. And once again, who cares what the New York Times thinks?Mary, I found it interesting because Curry's been such a respected sportswriter for a long while. What he wrote was fair, IMO, and like it or not, every serious journalist nationwide cares a lot about what the NY Times thinks.

The one constant omission that is driving me ****ing crazy, though -- and Curry is guilty of it, too -- is that close to none of these stories delves into Mariotti's long history of character assassination toward Reinsdorf. The fact that Ozzie has little feuds brewing with Mariano Duncan, Dave Duncan, and Phil Garner (to name a few) reinforces the idea that Mariotti was unjustly singled out for abuse. We all know nothing could be further from the truth. I'd be happy if Ozzie zipped it when asked to comment on every inane remark one of his detractors makes, if only so he'd have some credibility left when he rightly points out what a miserable **** Mariotti is.

Sorry, I thought I was over this, but I just endured 15 minutes of Phil Ponce interviewing Mariotti on Chicago Tonight, and Ponce never once challenged him as to the content of his columns. He kept trying to get Mariotti to criticize his bosses, asking repeatedly: "Why doesn't the Sun-Times back you up?" He's gone from Moron to Martyr in one week.

With his latest crap about Ozzie dry-humping him nine years ago in Baltimore, Mariotti is clearly just trying to perpetuate the controversy. Can't wait to see what anecdote he drags out next . . . But I think what he's really doing is laying the groundwork to sue the Sox and, maybe, the Sun-Times for creating a hostile work environment.

All apologies if this thread gets Roadhoused because of the previous, but I was ready to scream after seeing Ponce lob nothing but softballs. At least I responded here instead of starting yet another thread on the subject. Channel 11 has no business covering sports if it's going to send someone like him to do the job. :angry:

Vernam

SouthSide_HitMen
06-26-2006, 08:38 PM
And once again, who cares what the New York Times thinks?

That is POTW material right there.

As for the upcoming All Star Game - let Joe Torre and Peter Gammons / Little Epstein manage it - it's their team.

Ozzie should take his "sensitivity training" class on the evening of the All Star Game and tell Bud Selig to (in the words of Mary Swiss) "bite me".

wassagstdu
06-26-2006, 09:35 PM
... I think Bill Madden hit the nail on the head yesterday when he called Ozzie a latin version of Billy Martin, a great manager who never knew when to keep his mouth shut.

Ozzie hasn't got a "mean spirited" bone in his body, whatever he may say, and we all know that. So we haven't seen this movie before and Ozzie is not a Latin Billy Martin. He is a Latin Ozzie Guillen. Billy Martin was a pit bull. Ozzie is a Golden Retriever.