PDA

View Full Version : Joe Crede - the New Rockin' Robin???

SpartanSoxFan
06-26-2006, 05:35 PM
With the way he flashes the leather at the hot corner and has been swinging the bat since he came of the DL last year, I think we are seeing the second coming of Robin Ventura. 54 RBI batting 7th in the lineup??? Insane. :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Tekijawa
06-26-2006, 05:39 PM
He's also better defensively than Ventura ever was.

SpartanSoxFan
06-26-2006, 05:41 PM

A scary statement, considering Ventura was no slouch with 6 Gold Gloves...

Daver
06-26-2006, 05:46 PM

Scary? Maybe.

But true none the less.

Britt Burns
06-26-2006, 05:48 PM
I never thought I would say this because Robin was always one of my favorites, but Crede is ahead of him defensively. Anyone notice when foul balls are hit down the line-no matter if they are quite a ways foul-Joe even gets to those? His read is incredible-he gets off the ball so quickly, and has such an accurate arm. RV still has the better bat of course, but if Crede keeps on progressing even that might change. We need to lock Joe up, and soon.

slobes
06-26-2006, 05:49 PM
I don't think I will ever have a more favorite Sox player than Robin. But statistically, I think Joe is doing a great job catching up to him. I wouldn't doubt it if there are a buncha gold gloves in Crede's future. And like you said, 54 RBI is amazing, so you can see how he swings a hot bat.

BainesHOF
06-26-2006, 10:49 PM
I think a better comparison is Crede and Baines in terms of their clutch hitting. I'm 39 and Baines is the best clutch hitter I've seen play for the Sox, but Crede might be the second-best. The big difference at the moment is Baines did it for years and years.

Thome25
06-27-2006, 08:56 AM
Yeah Crede as the new Robin Ventura has been in the back of my mind lately. Crede is great in the clutch. Plays better defense. He should have 1 or 2 gold gloves by now. He is also starting to hit grand slams at the same rate as Robin did.

I don't want to be a dark cloud or a pessimist or anything but, I know Crede is arbitration eligible for the next couple of years but, Boras is his agent so we'll probably lose him after his arbitration years are over.

I don't want to sound like I'm whining but my point is, how often is it that we have a player who draws comparisons to Robin Ventura and in some ways surpasses Robin? I'd just hate to see us lose him the way we lost Robin to FA.

I know we have a good young 3b in Josh Fields but, we have all heard about his defensive liabilities.

Anyway, Crede is finally becoming the great 3rd baseman we all thought he would be. I mean, it is a great honor for him to be compared to Robin Ventura.

LuvSox
06-27-2006, 09:09 AM

True, I'll take Joe.

MsSoxVixen22
06-27-2006, 11:45 AM
With the way he flashes the leather at the hot corner and has been swinging the bat since he came of the DL last year, I think we are seeing the second coming of Robin Ventura. 54 RBI batting 7th in the lineup??? Insane. :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Agreed. That being said...Crede better be getting a Gold Glove sometime soon!

batmanZoSo
06-27-2006, 12:06 PM
They are very similar players all around while batting from different sides of the plate. Both are gold glove caliber, lead-footed runners, 25 home run power and a flair for the big homer.

I agree that Crede's a better fielder overall and it's funny that he hasn't won a Gold Glove. He's a lot more well-known now, though. He should start filling up his mantel with hardware as long as the writers can lose their hard-on for Eric Chavez.

skottyj242
06-27-2006, 12:31 PM
I'm gonna miss him next year.

Hitmen77
06-27-2006, 01:15 PM
I'm gonna miss him next year.

Where's he going? :?:

IronFisk
06-27-2006, 08:54 PM
I prefer the new "Joltin' Joe"!

fquaye149
06-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Crede's also got one more ring than Ventura does.

slobes
06-27-2006, 10:11 PM
Boy that play he made tonight to end the game was pretty Robin-esque.

Zisk77
06-27-2006, 10:40 PM
Robin was still better at coming in on the slow roller, barehanding, and throwing out the runner. And Baines was the best clutch hitter ever to wear a sox uniform that I have witnessed.:cool:

hawkjt
06-27-2006, 10:49 PM
I thought that slow roller bare-handed play joe made to end the game was as good a robin could do it.

Joe and tadahito made some great plays tonite. Our defense won this game.

TaylorStSox
06-27-2006, 10:57 PM
Tonight's game made me think of White Sox Josh and Shoota. They were campaigning for Joe Randa last year. LOL!!!

I also remember a certain poster, whom will remain nameless, saying that he was certain Crede could never hit .250, despite being a .255 lifetime hitter.

He's come a long way. IMO, he'll remain with the Sox for a long time. He's already stated that he won't let Boras be a factor in his negotitations with the Sox.

Tragg
06-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Crede is an excellent young player coming into his prime. He's a joy to watch and valuable to this team.

champagne030
06-27-2006, 11:02 PM
Robin was still better at coming in on the slow roller, barehanding, and throwing out the runner.

You're correct. Pretty much the same arm and Crede is a little better going to his right, behind the bag.

Tragg
06-27-2006, 11:14 PM
Tonight's game made me think of White Sox Josh and Shoota. They were campaigning for Joe Randa last year. LOL!!!

I also remember a certain poster, whom will remain nameless, saying that he was certain Crede could never hit .250, despite being a .255 lifetime hitter.

. That's why you stick with players that are struggling offensively, when they are more than holding up their end defensively (as Crede has always done) and have offensive potential.
We have another guy like that on our roster, too.

southwstchi4life
06-27-2006, 11:19 PM
Although I do like Ventura, There was something about him just did not make me a huge fan, when he was THE fan favorite of the time. I luv Credes humbleness (not saying ventura wasnt) nad clutchness. But Id definetly take Crede's Glove. I feel his glove has been hidden due to his lack of hitting over the past yrs, last yr not included. And I hope we don't loose him. Kenny said he is apart of there long term plans. So hopefully that means something

esbrechtel
06-28-2006, 12:46 AM
because of robin i have always been fans of thrid basemen...however, chris snopek wasnt cutting it....when crede first started playing i noticed he was pretty good defensively and started to take a liking to him...then he had his hitting woes and i still liked him for his defense....however last year i think he really came into his own and used the playoffs as his own coming out party....he was making diving stabs look routine and was hitting the cover off the ball...he is a great player and i hope we hang on to him

tstrike2000
06-28-2006, 12:53 AM

Ventura was awesome, but some of those gold gloves were because of weak third base competition in the AL. Crede definitely has the talent to win a few of those over very good competition at 3B like ARod or Chavez.

Variable2
06-28-2006, 01:04 AM
Ventura was awesome, but some of those gold gloves were because of weak third base competition in the AL. Crede definitely has the talent to win a few of those over very good competition at 3B like ARod or Chavez.

Ehh, A Rod already has matched his error totals from last year, which was 12 I think, he is overrated defensively. Compared to Crede defensively, "forget about it", as Farmer would say.

BainesHOF
06-28-2006, 02:32 AM
Robin was still better at coming in on the slow roller, barehanding, and throwing out the runner.

Ventura may have been the best in the history of baseball at making that play.

Rob190
06-28-2006, 02:41 AM
Ehh, A Rod already has matched his error totals from last year, which was 12 I think, he is overrated defensively. Compared to Crede defensively, "forget about it", as Farmer would say.

He was great at shortstop, but he is definitly having problems at third.

batmanZoSo
06-28-2006, 09:43 AM
Crede's also got one more ring than Ventura does.
http://www.msjudith.net/charact/char6.jpg
Stylish. And functional.

:crede
It's pretty sweet, this is true.

batmanZoSo
06-28-2006, 09:44 AM

Good competition doesn't necessarily mean good.

Steelrod
06-28-2006, 09:47 AM
I thought that slow roller bare-handed play joe made to end the game was as good a robin could do it.

Joe and tadahito made some great plays tonite. Our defense won this game.
....if only he had a different agent!

BainesHOF
06-28-2006, 12:37 PM
While Ventura was certainly a good player, his aura was just sort of blah, and he never really truly lived up to his college accolades. In a way, he was representative of the team's perennial underachieving.

Hitmen77
06-28-2006, 12:43 PM
....if only he had a different agent!

Crede can't go anywhere until after 2008.

Maybe I'm being hopelessly optimistic here, but I wouldn't be surprised if Joe switched agents if he saw Boras as a barrier to staying with the Sox. I believe Uribe did this.

Of course, that's not to say that Crede isn't going to want to get a big fat contract (see Paul K.). But, this isn't necessarily a Magglio situation where Maggs switched to Boras just as contract negotiations were heating up.

Iwritecode
06-28-2006, 01:03 PM

Crede doesn't hit as well as those guys. That's why he's overlooked for the GG. Even though offense should have nothing to do with it.

It's sad but true...