PDA

View Full Version : Brenly calls out the Cubs

thomas35forever
06-26-2006, 03:56 PM
Brenly really chastised the Cubs over the weekend. He said "You couldn't play this bad if you tried" among other things. Murph was amazed that Harry and Stone never called out the team like that. Do you think Brenly'll be in trouble.

AuroraSoxFan
06-26-2006, 04:01 PM
He won't be in any major trouble. Some in the Cubs "system" may use him as yet another excuse to their awful performance. If they'll blame the lack of a lefty batting practice pitcher on their failures, I don't see why an honest broadcaster is off limits. I doubt he'll be fired or anything like that though.

SOXPHILE
06-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Yes. The phone is probably ringing in the announcers booth right now. I'm pretty sure Johnny Baker, Barrett, and a couple of others already know about it and have started the bitching & whining to whomever will listen. Who knows, they may have already confronted him on the flight home. We'll probably be hearing about Jim Hendry and other Cub brass asking them into a "meeting" to have them "tone it down a bit". What a loser organization.

MarySwiss
06-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Meh. Murph is always amazed when someone says not-nice things about the Cubs.

palehozenychicty
06-26-2006, 04:05 PM
Meh. Murph is always amazed when someone says not-nice things about the Cubs.

exactly. Yawn.

Uncle_Patrick
06-26-2006, 04:13 PM
I laughed out loud in my car when I heard Murph play that today.

Steelrod
06-26-2006, 04:14 PM
Campaigning for the job?

PaulDrake
06-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Brenly really chastised the Cubs over the weekend. He said "You couldn't play this bad if you tried" among other things. Murph was amazed that Harry and Stone never called out the team like that. Do you think Brenly'll be in trouble. I must admit to being a little surprised. Kasper and Brenly were specifically brought in to bring sweetness and light to cub telecasts. I guess there is only so much Brenly can take.

thomas35forever
06-26-2006, 05:32 PM
I must admit to being a little surprised. Kasper and Brenly were specifically brought in to bring sweetness and light to cub telecasts. I guess there is only so much Brenly can take.
Of course. Wouldn't you feel the same if you went from World Series Champion to broadcaster for the Lovable Losers?

QCIASOXFAN
06-26-2006, 05:36 PM
I must admit to being a little surprised. Kasper and Brenly were specifically brought in to bring sweetness and light to cub telecasts. I guess there is only so much Brenly can take. He seems like he is a pretty nice easy going kind of guy. I think there is only so much you can take when following that team everyday though, especially since he won a World Series 5 years ago. He knows that they are playing pathetic and I think it is a good thing that he is speaking out.

MarySwiss
06-26-2006, 05:36 PM
I must admit to being a little surprised. Kasper and Brenly were specifically brought in to bring sweetness and light to cub telecasts. I guess there is only so much Brenly can take.

I seem to remember that when Brenly was in the broadcast booth for the D'Backs, he was usually pretty diplomatic, but not afraid to speak out when the occasion warranted it.

SOXPHILE
06-26-2006, 05:55 PM
I think he can be a bit of a jerk. Don't forget he's one of the keepers of the Book of Unwritten Rules of Baseball. This joke arises from an incident when he was the Diamondbacks manager. A pitcher, I think it might have been Randy Johnson, had a no hitter going, and it was broken up late in the game by a bunt single. Ol' Bobby got all miffed, saying that wasn't right, it goes against the unwritten rules of baseball. Ever since then, I'm not a big fan of his.

Chicken Dinner
06-26-2006, 06:01 PM
Brenly is one of the smartest managers the Cubs have never had.

Ol' No. 2
06-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Maybe Brenly was afraid they might can Baker and ask him to manage.

TheMilkman
06-26-2006, 06:14 PM
A pitcher, I think it might have been Randy Johnson, had a no hitter going, and it was broken up late in the game by a bunt single.

I may be imagining it, but wasn't it former Sox catcher Ben Davis who got the bunt hit?

Jurr
06-26-2006, 06:56 PM
I may be imagining it, but wasn't it former Sox catcher Ben Davis who got the bunt hit?
It was schilling, if I remember, and I believe it was Ben Davis. How funny is that...Ben "Come on Timo" Davis!!

MarySwiss
06-26-2006, 07:35 PM

:yup: But how long is that list?

TornLabrum
06-26-2006, 11:48 PM

The first thought that occurred to me when I heard the tapes of Brenly is that he's angling for Dusty's job.

DSpivack
06-27-2006, 12:04 AM
The first thought that occurred to me when I heard the tapes of Brenly is that he's angling for Dusty's job.

Maybe they'll switch jobs and Dusty will be in the booth!

TornLabrum
06-27-2006, 12:40 AM
Maybe they'll switch jobs and Dusty will be in the booth!

It's happened before: Charlie Grimm to WGN for Lou Boudreau.

DSpivack
06-27-2006, 01:40 AM
It's happened before: Charlie Grimm to WGN for Lou Boudreau.

Yeah, but the thought of Dusty in the booth is quite hilarious. And wasn't Brenly an announcer before he got hired as DBacks manager? (Though it wasn't a "trade")

StillMissOzzie
06-27-2006, 02:04 AM
Not exactly a thread hijack, but in a related vein, when the Cubs were playing the Tigers, I heard Santo say, "Are they this good or are we this bad?"
Not having an official Ricoh fax machine in my car, I lost my chance to tell Ron that those two choices are NOT mutually exclusive.

1) The Tigers, then and today, had the best record in MLB.
2) The Cubs, then and today, in the midst of both an 8 game home losing streak and playing at maybe a .225 clip lately.

SMO
:gulp:

buehrle4cy05
06-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Yeah, but the thought of Dusty in the booth is quite hilarious. And wasn't Brenly an announcer before he got hired as DBacks manager? (Though it wasn't a "trade")

Think of Dusty in the booth:
Kasper: And Rusch gives up another homer...
Dusty: Yeah dude, that dude needs to just chill out, man. Man, dude get yourself a toothpick or something dude.

wdelaney72
06-27-2006, 01:20 PM

Remove Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling and you'll find Brenly's managerial record VERY un-impressive.

MarySwiss
06-27-2006, 01:23 PM
Remove Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling and you'll find Brenly's managerial record VERY un-impressive.

If he never does another thing, managing the team that beat the Yankees in the 2001 World Series impressed me sufficiently.

wdelaney72
06-27-2006, 01:31 PM
If he never does another thing, managing the team that beat the Yankees in the 2001 World Series impressed me sufficiently.

Great point. I just find it funny to hear people clamor for Brenly's services over Dusty, when I don't think Brenly has all that much to offer. Yes a WS championship, but he had the 2 best starting pitchers in the game.

ewokpelts
06-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Brenly really chastised the Cubs over the weekend. He said "You couldn't play this bad if you tried" among other things. Murph was amazed that Harry and Stone never called out the team like that. Do you think Brenly'll be in trouble.
no...he's getting fitted for a uniform

ewokpelts
06-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Great point. I just find it funny to hear people clamor for Brenly's services over Dusty, when I don't think Brenly has all that much to offer. Yes a WS championship, but he had the 2 best starting pitchers in the game.so does ozzie

miker
06-27-2006, 01:44 PM
I would imagine trying to put a positive spin on the way the Cubs play baseball is analogous to polishing a turd.

mrfourni
06-27-2006, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by wdelaney72
Great point. I just find it funny to hear people clamor for Brenly's services over Dusty, when I don't think Brenly has all that much to offer. Yes a WS championship, but he had the 2 best starting pitchers in the game.
so does ozzie

So does dusty

PaulDrake
06-27-2006, 04:25 PM
It's happened before: Charlie Grimm to WGN for Lou Boudreau. Jolly Cholly Grimm in the announcer's booth. Then shortly after that the ridiculous to the sublime, the College of Coaches.

JohnBasedowYoda
06-27-2006, 05:46 PM
Of course. Wouldn't you feel the same if you went from World Series Champion to broadcaster for the Lovable Losers?

It's just "Loser" now. They are not lovable as they are always bitching and moaning.