PDA

View Full Version : New Boston...

Chisox_cali
02-09-2002, 06:49 PM
:boston
"I'M A COMPLETE IDIOT" (http://espn.go.com/gammons/s/2002/0209/1326125.html)

Here's the stuff regarding the Sox:

Teams with still-valid fantasies of making the playoffs
American League
New York Yankees
Boston
Chicago White Sox
Cleveland
Minnesota
Seattle
Oakland
Texas

Better times for White Sox
However, it is fun if you're Ken Williams, Jerry Manuel and the White Sox. The Kenny Lofton signing -- which Williams says amounted to $1 million in present day value -- gives the White Sox the possibility of a dangerous leadoff hitter, something they so lacked last season as evidenced by their having just a .330 on-base percentage from their leadoff hitters. Lofton's OBP has dropped from .405 in 1999 to .322 last year, but now he's been slapped in the face with cold-career reality.

"Kenny has a lot to prove," says Williams, "and he's worked very hard to come back. He's conditioned very hard, even tried yoga. I think you're going to see the old Kenny Lofton."

If that's true, then the White Sox could have a very dangerous lineup, with Ray Durham, Frank Thomas, Magglio Ordonez, Paul Konerko, Jose Valentin and Carlos Lee following Lofton. How close the Sox come to their 2000 season -- when they led the AL in wins -- will depend on the health of their pitchers. Williams says that Bobby Howry, Lorenzo Barcelo, Kelly Wunsch and Antonio Osuna should be at full strength for the opening of camp this week, and that Jim Parque will be ready for the start of the season.

"These players have already proven a lot to me," says Williams. "After they started 16-29, watched one teammate after another headed off to the hospital, they never quit and ended up with a winning record. They have proven a lot the last two years."

czalgosz
02-09-2002, 07:22 PM
Well, the Sox need to do what they have so-far seemed incapable of doing - beating the other contenders head-to-head. With the exception of a couple of weeks in June of 2000, this version of the White Sox seems to always fold during the tough series. Sure, they'll beat up on the Royals and Orioles, but when it comes time to face the tough teams, they crack.

This is probably why KW likes veterans - they have been in pressure situations before.

Vsahajpal
02-10-2002, 03:57 AM
http://espn.go.com/gammons/s/2002/0209/1326114.html

5. Carlos Lee, White Sox. After a second half slide trying to pull too much, he is at the point in his career where he is ready to mash. He's going to be hitting seventh, so there will be a lot of garbage numbers, as well. He can afford to improve his patience down there.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-10-2002, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

5. Carlos Lee, White Sox. After a second half slide trying to pull too much, he is at the point in his career where he is ready to mash. He's going to be hitting seventh, so there will be a lot of garbage numbers, as well. He can afford to improve his patience down there.

Nobody is going to benefit more from the Lofton acquisition than Carlos Lee. Hitting #7, the pressure is off, and he can just do his thing--like he did in 2000.

:caballo
"I'm just what the bottom of the order needed!"

:hitless :sandy :MJ
"Finally, someone to help us."

:ray
"If I get my head out of my orifice, maybe I can be a great #2. Of course if I could get my head out of my orifice, I would have made a great #1, too."

Spiff
02-10-2002, 09:24 AM

Vic did you spot the Strokes reference in that article?

oldcomiskey
02-10-2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
"Kenny has a lot to prove," says Williams, "and he's worked very hard to come back. He's conditioned very hard, even tried yoga. I think you're going to see the old Kenny Lofton."

I hope that dont mean the OLD MAN Kenny Lofton, but no one is more tickled than I am to have him----

SoxRulecubsdrool
02-10-2002, 11:12 AM
Without the addition of Ditka we're doomed! Atleast a mini Ditka! :gulp:

Jerry_Manuel
02-10-2002, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by SoxRulecubsdrool
Without the addition of Ditka we're doomed! Atleast a mini Ditka! :gulp:

:iron
You rang?

SoxRulecubsdrool
02-10-2002, 12:33 PM
Hello, my friend! Da Sox. Coach Ditka in the dugout. Sausage and beer night everynight. We will all grow mustaches and smoke stoogies. Mini Ditka bobble head dolls given away to fans with Ditka hair.
Goodbye my friend! :gulp:

Vsahajpal
02-10-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00

Vic did you spot the Strokes reference in that article?

No, I didn't. I had to go back after you mentioned it and then I found it. Nicely done, WS!

Chisox_cali
02-10-2002, 11:51 PM
I was just looking at the original column again and found this peice of genious:

Teams that, as of Valentine's Day, could win the World Series if they get to October

American League
New York Yankees
Seattle
Oakland

National League
Atlanta
New York Mets
St. Louis
Arizona
Los Angeles
San Francisco

Teams that, as of Valentine's Day, could win the World Series if they get to October

What in the living hell is that supposed to mean?!?!?!?!?

This column was released on 2/9, how in the hell could the original 8 teams listed, be "out of contention" a mere 5 days later?

God Gammons is such a complete MORON! :angry:

Daver
02-11-2002, 12:02 AM
I was just looking at the original column again and found this peice of genious:

[B]

Are you just now noticing this?

Pete_SSAC
02-11-2002, 12:08 AM

This column was released on 2/9, how in the hell could the original 8 teams listed, be "out of contention" a mere 5 days later?

No, what makes him more of a mental giant is the fact that he thinks that the Indians actually have a shot of making it to the playoffs. Here's a newsflash, Jack, look at their team. They will be lucky if they can hold onto 3rd place.

And I doubt Texas has a shot too, there team is better, but their chemistry is going to be a wreck. A-Rod (aka the amazing living Ego), Everret (aka the amazing living Ego), and John "Hey, where's the next Klan meeting?" Rocker on the same team? Come ON!

:milk
Pity Me.

- Pete

WinningUgly!
02-11-2002, 12:10 AM

American League
New York Yankees
Seattle
Oakland

National League
Atlanta
New York Mets
St. Louis
Arizona
Los Angeles
San Francisco

God Gammons is such a complete MORON! :angry: How did the BoSox get left off his list?

Chisox_cali
02-11-2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by daver

Are you just now noticing this?

No but this is just a REALLY obvious example and it's fairly recent so it just reiterates the point :smile:

Vsahajpal
02-11-2002, 12:31 AM

American League
New York Yankees
Seattle
Oakland

National League
Atlanta
New York Mets
St. Louis
Arizona
Los Angeles
San Francisco

Cali, the Valentine's day statement was just a really eclectic way of saying that "on paper" those teams are playoff contenders as of February. Or in otherwords, going into Spring Training, those are his favorites if they stay healthy and keep the same personnel.

Chisox_cali
02-11-2002, 12:37 AM

Cali, the Valentine's day statement was just a really eclectic way of saying that "on paper" those teams are playoff contenders as of February. Or in otherwords, going into Spring Training, those are his favorites if they stay healthy and keep the same personnel.

Ok I understand that, but than why even list the other 5 teams before? Just say "On Paper, the Yankees, Mariners and A's look to be the favorites in the American League" Not that hard there Gammons. He just picked the most complecated and Idiotic way to say what I just said. I guess thats why he's the "expert" :smile:

kermittheefrog
02-11-2002, 12:39 AM
Isn't it only logical that any team that can make the playoffs can win the World Series. It's not like the regular season where you know the Brewers don't have a shot. We're talking abotu short series here, anything can happen. Anyway we know not to take Boston too seriously by now.

Chisox_cali
02-11-2002, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Isn't it only logical that any team that can make the playoffs can win the World Series. It's not like the regular season where you know the Brewers don't have a shot. We're talking abotu short series here, anything can happen. Anyway we know not to take Boston too seriously by now.

Good point Kermie, I didnt even realize that he only lists 3 AL teams-missing a playoff spot- and 6 NL teams. Is there a new playoff structure I'm unaware of?

:boston
"Wait, it isn't assumed that the Red Sox will automatically get into the playoffs? Where have you been?"

On a side note... POST NUMBER 1000!!!! :cool: