PDA

View Full Version : Better? '06 Tigers or '05 Sox over 162games

Fake Chet Lemon
06-26-2006, 11:03 AM
I think this '06 Tiger team is better than the '05 Sox team. I keep having flashbacks of the stretches with no offense last year. I don't think that will be a problem with the Tigers this year. If the '06 Tigers and '05 Sox played a 162 game schedule, who would win that "division"?

Thankfully Kenny upgraded us to keep us better than them.

Thome25
06-26-2006, 11:05 AM
Sox all the way. The 2005 White Sox may not have been as good as the 2006 Tigers offensively but, the 2005 Sox were far superior in the pitching department than the 2006 Tigers.

Jurr
06-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Who knows? That's a question that doesn't really have a clear answer. Now, do the Tigers have what it takes to accomplish what the '05 Sox did overall? We don't know if their youth will hold serve throughout the late season and into October. We had guys like El Duque helping out in the playoffs, with big dividends. You can't find that in the Tigers' staff. I don't know if Zumaya, Rodney, and the bunch can hold up in the late innings of big games.

The big question is if the '06 Tigers can win the World Series. I think the '06 White Sox are going to have a BIG say in that matter.

Fake Chet Lemon
06-26-2006, 11:08 AM
Sox all the way. The 2005 White Sox may not have been as good as the 2006 Tigers offensively but, the 2005 Sox were far superior in the pitching department than the 2006 Tigers.

You remember Contreras in the first half, and Hernandez in the second half? We might be better, but not "far superior". We started with Shingo as our closer.

oeo
06-26-2006, 11:09 AM
I think this '06 Tiger team is better than the '05 Sox team. I keep having flashbacks of the stretches with no offense last year. I don't think that will be a problem with the Tigers this year. If the '06 Tigers and '05 Sox played a 162 game schedule, who would win that "division"?

Thankfully Kenny upgraded us to keep us better than them.
The Tigers will have offensive woes, and their pitching has been near perfect. And they're still not at the same pace as the Sox of last year.

Sure, the Tigers are playing great right now. We'll see where they are in the standings in another month and a half, though.

Jurr
06-26-2006, 11:11 AM
You remember Contreras in the first half, and Hernandez in the second half? We might be better, but not "far superior". We started with Shingo as our closer.
The thing with the Sox last year was the flexibility of the staff. Hernandez wasn't sharp in the second half because of arm problems, but he was relegated to the bullpen, where he shined. Do the Tigers have such a wealth of pitching talent? I haven't seen it. They are sharp in the starting rotation and in the bullpen, but injuries and tired arm issues hit everyone.

The Sox were loaded in talent, as evidenced by McCarthy coming in late in the season and having some good starts, Jenks coming out of nowhere to be the closer, and Hernandez performing miracles in the playoffs.

Fake Chet Lemon
06-26-2006, 11:11 AM
Who knows? That's a question that doesn't really have a clear answer. Now, do the Tigers have what it takes to accomplish what the '05 Sox did overall? We don't know if their youth will hold serve throughout the late season and into October. We had guys like El Duque helping out in the playoffs, with big dividends. You can't find that in the Tigers' staff. I don't know if Zumaya, Rodney, and the bunch can hold up in the late innings of big games.

The big question is if the '06 Tigers can win the World Series. I think the '06 White Sox are going to have a BIG say in that matter.

That's why I asked over a 162 game schedule. We got so hot in October that was just nuts. We would have beaten the '27 Yankees I think :wink: .

caulfield12
06-26-2006, 11:14 AM
No team since the 1927 Yankees led wire to wire.

We also were the first team since the Yankees in the 90's to go 11-1 in the post-season.

The Tigers have some weaknesses. They strike out too much. Todd Jones is an average to below average closer.

The jury is still out whether Marcus Thames and Chris Shelton can produce over an entire season in consistent fashion.

Verlander's durability when he gets to 150 plus innings. The fact that they have two rookies in Miner and Verlander over the course of a full season, big league hitters and scouts will make their adjustments.

The health of veterans like Maggs, I-Rod and C. Guillen.

No Dmitri Young.

J. Walker is not nearly as good as Cotts last season.

The 2003 White Sox in August were probably BETTER than the 2005 White Sox, on paper. And that's where the concept of team and OG come in.

itsnotrequired
06-26-2006, 11:15 AM
No team since the 1927 Yankees led wire to wire.

False.

Jurr
06-26-2006, 11:18 AM
False.
1984 brought us the Detroit Tigers, and their juggernaut that rolled to a wire to wire season, including a WS victory.

caulfield12
06-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Only the 27 Yankees and 1990 Reds led the regular season wire to wire and swept the World Series.

1984 Tigers 35-5 5/24/84 104-58
2001 Mariners 42-12 6/2/2001 116-46
1955 Dodgers 42-12 6/11/55 98-55
1998 Yankees 43-13 6/6/98 114-48
1969 Orioles 47-17 6/19/69 109-53
1927 Yankees 50-20 7/1/27 110-44
1986 Mets 51-21 7/1/86 108-54
1970 Reds 51-21 6/27/70 102-60
1954 Indians 52-22 7/4/54 111-43
1906 Cubs 54-24 7/12/06 116-36
2005 White Sox 56-26 7/5/2005 99-63

itsnotrequired
06-26-2006, 11:19 AM
1984 brought us the Detroit Tigers, and their juggernaut that rolled to a wire to wire season, including a WS victory.

Don't forget the Reds in 1990.

TornLabrum
06-26-2006, 11:28 AM
There is an inherent problem with this thread. It's asking us to compare a team that did complete a 162-game schedule to another one that is less than half-way through. No can do. Sorry.

Frater Perdurabo
06-26-2006, 12:31 PM
Here's an interesting comparison. By midseason 0f 2005, the White Sox had just played three amazing months to put some distance between themselves and the rest of the division. That cushion proved to be just large enough to hold off the hard-charging, .900 winning percentage Indians while the Sox themselves played .500 ball for six weeks in August and early/mid- September.

This year, the Tigers have played three amazing months and have put exactly 1.5 games between themselves and the defending - and much improved -World Champions, who still have not been playing infield defense (not turning as many double plays) and getting starting pitching (every starting pitcher other than Contreras has struggled so far this year, and Contreras himself missed two starts) at the level to which we are accustomed.

So who's worried? If I'm the Tigers, I'm happy with my start but scared to death of the Sox really starting to fire on all cylinders in the second half.

sullythered
06-26-2006, 12:40 PM
I'll get back to you once BOTH teams have completed a regular season schedule.

Fake Chet Lemon
06-26-2006, 01:23 PM
I'll get back to you once BOTH teams have completed a regular season schedule.

What skill (and fun) is there in that? It seems to me, a lot of people here are afraid to venture a guess at how good these Tigers may or may not be. Step out on that limb people! Pick a lane with these Tigers, saying you'll wait until season's end is the easy way out.

spiffie
06-26-2006, 01:27 PM
What skill (and fun) is there in that? It seems to me, a lot of people here are afraid to venture a guess at how good these Tigers may or may not be. Step out on that limb people! Pick a lane with these Tigers, saying you'll wait until season's end is the easy way out.
Okay, here's my prediction. Tigers lose the AL Central by 3 games to the White Sox. They finish 95-67 and win the AL Wild Card.

oeo
06-26-2006, 01:35 PM
Okay, here's my prediction. Tigers lose the AL Central by 3 games to the White Sox. They finish 95-67 and win the AL Wild Card.
98 wins? Boo!

I'm expecting a better second half than last year, and this team is going to win more than 100 games. For the majority of the short season, so far, the Sox did not play very good baseball. How they are playing right now, is the way I expected the team to play. They've had a tough stretch, and I honestly think they're going to run away with the division in the second half.

I still do not think the Tigers have hit a slump. They flat out got beat by the Yankees, Red Sox, and Sox. They still got good pitching, but better teams are not just going to give away games. The Sox were playing terrible over a two-and-a-half week stretch (against not-so-great teams). They were not getting pitching, timely hitting, and their bullpen was in the crapper.

The Sox currently stand at 1.5 games out, but I still think they are in better shape than the Tigers. Tigers pitching is eventually going to come back to earth a little bit. They've been playing hot, basically all year, and only lead by 1.5 games. The Sox will win the division by at least 7 games, mark my words.

CLR01
06-26-2006, 01:42 PM
There is an inherent problem with this thread. It's asking us to compare a team that did complete a 162-game schedule to another one that is less than half-way through. No can do. Sorry.

Not to mention the Tiger love going on around here is enough to make a man :puking:

hawkjt
06-26-2006, 01:47 PM
I read fans ripping on the tigers hitting and I just do not see why. Granderson and Polanco are a better 1-2 combo than pods and iguchi. I love our guys but those two for tigers are better so far this year,no doubt. They can manufacture runs and then like us they have bangers in the middle and down at the end of the lineup.

The numbers dont lie- their pitching is the best in baseball so far. Just have to hope that the toll of a long season brings them down. We have not even played the yanks and red sox yet so while the tigers struggled against them they still emerged with the lead. Will we dominate the red sox and yanks?

Schedule wise the twins and tigers have better Aug and Sept schedules than the sox so even if we scrap out a lead by sept 1, they could catch us. The twins have a great last month schedule wise and they could even nose us out for wildcard.

kobo
06-26-2006, 01:54 PM
I said last year that I considered the Tigers to be an up and coming team and one that will be a contender in the near future. I don't think it's this year though because I don't think the pitching will hold up. Offensively they are better than the Sox were last year, but it all comes down to pitching, and unless the Tigers make a big move by the trading deadline I think they will end up 2nd in the division, and I don't think they will win the Wild Card.

CHISOXFAN13
06-26-2006, 01:55 PM
I read fans ripping on the tigers hitting and I just do not see why. Granderson and Polanco are a better 1-2 combo than pods and iguchi. I love our guys but those two for tigers are better so far this year,no doubt. They can manufacture runs and then like us they have bangers in the middle and down at the end of the lineup.

The numbers dont lie- their pitching is the best in baseball so far. Just have to hope that the toll of a long season brings them down. We have not even played the yanks and red sox yet so while the tigers struggled against them they still emerged with the lead. Will we dominate the red sox and yanks?

Schedule wise the twins and tigers have better Aug and Sept schedules than the sox so even if we scrap out a lead by sept 1, they could catch us. The twins have a great last month schedule wise and they could even nose us out for wildcard.

The Tigers have an extremely difficult schedule in August. Not sure what you are looking at there.

Blueprint1
06-26-2006, 02:00 PM
The 2005 Sox won the World Series. So far the 2006 Tigers have not won anything yet. This is a stupid question to ask right now. The Tigers may do what the Sox did last year. The Tigers might miss the playoffs.