PDA

View Full Version : *official* Sox fans in Pittsburgh Thread

voodoochile
06-26-2006, 11:05 AM
Okay, I got in yesterday and am staying with friends. I am actually vey close to where the incline lets out and will be riding it down to the city today with my buddy who rides it daily to get to work.

Looking forward to hooking up with some Sox fans and having some fun. I'd definitely do the historical center - which I have already driven by - though I don't know how to get there as of yet.

I'll suggest a meeting at HiTops before the game on Tuesday to get the group off to a good start, but if people are free during the day on Tuesday or Wednesday, post a reply or send me a PM and we can hook up and go exploring.

I will probably be going to one of the night games and the Thursday day game. I might make all three, but I don't know as of yet.

SaltyPretzel
06-26-2006, 11:08 AM
I'll be at all 3 games and will be staying over at the Westin. We're going to Kennywood Wednesday before the game.

Scottiehaswheels
06-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Going to all three... gonna try to upgrade my current seat behind home to something by the dugout.. got Wednesday behind Sox dugout already... 12 row M seat 7 i think... Never been to Pittsburgh before so I'm gonna explore a bit.. Pick my gf up some cool Steeler stuff!!! Where's the doghouse smiley? lol I'm down with meeting up with anyone wherever, don't know where all these places are in relation to the Westin though...

SOXintheBURGH
06-26-2006, 11:54 AM
Okay, I got in yesterday and am staying with friends. I am actually vey close to where the incline lets out and will be riding it down to the city today with my buddy who rides it daily to get to work.

Looking forward to hooking up with some Sox fans and having some fun. I'd definitely do the historical center - which I have already driven by - though I don't know how to get there as of yet.

I'll suggest a meeting at HiTops before the game on Tuesday to get the group off to a good start, but if people are free during the day on Tuesday or Wednesday, post a reply or send me a PM and we can hook up and go exploring.

I will probably be going to one of the night games and the Thursday day game. I might make all three, but I don't know as of yet.

Historical center is pretty accessible and theres a lot right next to it thats only $5 that you can park at for the whole day if you want to walk around. Its near the Strip too. Just head down Penn or Liberty Avenue. The Western PA Sports Museum is a blast (its part of the Historical Center).

I've got some stuff to take care of on Tuesday but I will most definitely be in the city at some point pre and post game.

SOXintheBURGH
06-26-2006, 11:56 AM
Going to all three... gonna try to upgrade my current seat behind home to something by the dugout.. got Wednesday behind Sox dugout already... 12 row M seat 7 i think... Never been to Pittsburgh before so I'm gonna explore a bit.. Pick my gf up some cool Steeler stuff!!! Where's the doghouse smiley? lol I'm down with meeting up with anyone wherever, don't know where all these places are in relation to the Westin though...

Westin is really close to the Historical Center voodoo mentioned, in fact, if you walk across from the Westin onto Penn Avenue and towards "the Strip" (just ask where the Strip is and you'll get pointed in the right direction) you'll end up at it. The other direction heads towards the parks.

Definitely check out the Strip, its a lot of fun. Just shops and restaraunts and street vendors and all that junk. Plus, the original Primanti Bros is down there too.

Jurr
06-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Go to Peppi's and get a Roethlisburger while you're in the strip. It's a joyous death. See you guys tomorrow night.

monkeypants
06-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Is there a bus or shuttle that goes from downtown to Kennywood? Or how much would a cab cost to go out there from downtown? I'll be without a ride so I need to find some sort of transportation there and back.

Baby Fisk
06-26-2006, 01:28 PM
The Canadian delegation will be arriving on Tuesday and staying at the Westin Convention Center. I'll be at the Tues and Weds games. :bandance:

JohnBasedowYoda
06-26-2006, 01:32 PM
The Canadian delegation will be arriving on Tuesday and staying at the Westin Convention Center. I'll be at the Tues and Weds games. :bandance:

Nice. If you see Chips give him some info on Edmonton. This will educate the man into appreciating a truly cosmopolitan city.

MUsoxfan
06-26-2006, 06:35 PM
McFish and I will be staying at the Spring Hill Suites across from PNC and Hi Tops on Weds night and we'll be going to the Weds and Thurs games. I plan on having my fair share of cocktails on Weds.

Chips
06-26-2006, 07:58 PM
Nice. If you see Chips give him some info on Edmonton. This will educate the man into appreciating a truly cosmopolitan city.

Please do.

I'm coming in on Wednesday afternoon around 11:00ish, maybe earlier. I'll be staying at the Westin.

ewokpelts
06-26-2006, 08:18 PM
I'll root for the Sox when I'm at the All-Star Game.
Gene

steveironcity
06-26-2006, 08:28 PM
Geez, the only game I can go to is tomarrow, and very few WSI folks will be there.

HomeFish
06-26-2006, 08:29 PM
I'm writing this from my hotel a few blocks from the Pitt campus. I found out how to get to the park today; I don't have a ticket yet, but I assume I should be able to get a walk-up tomorrow, should the game actually happen. They're predicting thunderstorms.

I have a couple of questions:

1) What are the PNC Park rules on signs. Are they allowed? Are they restricted in any way?

2) Where online could I find a very large picture of DJ?

Thanks.

steveironcity
06-26-2006, 08:32 PM
I'm writing this from my hotel a few blocks from the Pitt campus. I found out how to get to the park today; I don't have a ticket yet, but I assume I should be able to get a walk-up tomorrow, should the game actually happen. They're predicting thunderstorms.

I have a couple of questions:

1) What are the PNC Park rules on signs. Are they allowed? Are they restricted in any way?

2) Where online could I find a very large picture of DJ?

Thanks.

Answer to question #1

From the Pirates webpage:

BANNERS/SIGNS
The Pirates welcome signs and banners. To ensure that these articles do not distract from the enjoyment of other fans, the Pirates request you adhere to the following guidelines:
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/trans.gif
Please do not place banners/signs in the eyesight of the batter and/or hanging over the outfield fences. Banners should in no way infringe on the sightlines of other PNC Park Guests. The banners/signs must be 4' x 8' or smaller in size. Banners/signs may not be placed anywhere inside the playing field, be commercial, political, derogatory or obscene as determined by the Pirates. The Pirates reserve the right to remove any banner/sign that violates these guidelines.
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/trans.gif

HomeFish
06-26-2006, 08:34 PM
Thanks. Do you happen to know how they have historically interpreted that rule?

steveironcity
06-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Thanks. Do you happen to know how they have historically interpreted that rule?

Not really. What do you have in mind?

HomeFish
06-26-2006, 08:39 PM
Not really. What do you have in mind?

I had one of two in mind.

The first would be "National League Pitching. RIP [Year the NL was founded] - 2006". (I don't recall off the top of my head when the NL was founded, but I'd look it up.

The second would have a large picture of DJ on it and say "Uh oh, bye bye!"

Of course, the first would only be useful if we in fact scored a lot of runs, and the second would only be useful if the White Sox hit at least one home run, and neither of that is assured. I don't know who this Snell guy is, but he has a winning record on the Pirates, so he must be formidable.

steveironcity
06-26-2006, 08:41 PM
I had one of two in mind.

The first would be "National League Pitching. RIP [Year the NL was founded] - 2006". (I don't recall off the top of my head when the NL was founded, but I'd look it up.

The second would have a large picture of DJ on it and say "Uh oh, bye bye!"

Of course, the first would only be useful if we in fact scored a lot of runs, and the second would only be useful if the White Sox hit at least one home run, and neither of that is assured. I don't know who this Snell guy is, but he has a winning record on the Pirates, so he must be formidable.

The signs dont seem to threatening, but thats my opinion.

1876 was the year the NL was founded, and Snell is Ok, but he isn't anything special.

HomeFish
06-26-2006, 08:43 PM
OK.

At the moment, I can't find a picture of DJ larger than 200x200, so I doubt the second one is feasible. :(

steveironcity
06-26-2006, 08:45 PM
OK.

At the moment, I can't find a picture of DJ larger than 200x200, so I doubt the second one is feasible. :(

If you hang it off the rotunda in left field, you will get maximum exposure. And those are my stomping grounds (you can smoke there) so ill stop by and say hi.

The rotunda is the spiral shaped structure to the left of the scoreboard in this pic.
http://www.digitalballparks.com/National/Pittsburgh_640_12.html

HomeFish
06-26-2006, 08:47 PM
Hey, question for you guys at home

http://chicago.comcastsportsnet.com/Images/talent/JacksonSoxTalentPage.jpg

Can somebody blow that picture of DJ up to 2 or 3 times its current size and post it here? I don't have the proper image editing software on this hotel computer. It would allow me to make my sign, which would be usable at other games in the future even if the Sox don't hit a home run tomorrow.

Thanks a lot.

santo=dorf
06-26-2006, 10:29 PM
With a Mark Morrison reference, will somebody please make a "Return of the Mack" sign? :D:

Cavahoo
06-26-2006, 11:17 PM
Planning on getting in mid afternoon Wednesday...will try and meet you guys at HiTops (can anybody tell me exactly where it is?) before and/or after the Wednesday game if y'all plan to be there...sitting 3 rows up from Pirates ondeck circle Wednesday, but have nothing for Thursday...doubt that will be a tough ticket. Also planning the Camden trip in late July. Hope to meet some big SOX fans!!

SOXintheBURGH
06-26-2006, 11:44 PM
Planning on getting in mid afternoon Wednesday...will try and meet you guys at HiTops (can anybody tell me exactly where it is?) before and/or after the Wednesday game if y'all plan to be there...sitting 3 rows up from Pirates ondeck circle Wednesday, but have nothing for Thursday...doubt that will be a tough ticket. Also planning the Camden trip in late July. Hope to meet some big SOX fans!!

If you exit the park and are walking down the Clemente bridge, turn around. Cross the street, first door on your right. :gulp:

ChiSoxGirl
06-26-2006, 11:49 PM
Has there been an official decision made on whether or not we're meeting at Hi-Tops for sure?

I'll be staying at The Westin and my flight is due in at 2:15p on Tuesday, so I hope to run into some people tomorrow afternoon. If not then, my ticket is in Sec. 113 Row R for tomorrow, and I think I'll be wearing my home Konerko jersey, so I hope to see you guys at the game!

DumpJerry
06-27-2006, 12:51 AM
I had considered flying in for Thursday's game, but I'm tired of Spring Training games. My next game is July 3 against the O's- an American League (i.e. Major League) team!

Melt the steel!

chisoxmike
06-27-2006, 12:55 AM
I'll be there Wednesday and Thursday. Sitting in section 7 for both games, probably make my way around looking for people at some point.

I'm flying out Wed. morning, staying at the Westin. See you all there.

GO SOX

Chips
06-27-2006, 01:00 AM
I'll be there Wednesday and Thursday. Sitting in section 7 for both games, probably make my way around looking for people at some point.

I'm flying out Wed. morning, staying at the Westin. See you all there.

GO SOX

How close is that to mine and Jen's seats?

GOGOGOPODS
06-27-2006, 01:02 AM
Going to wednesday's and Thursday's games..... sweep?

ChiSoxGirl
06-27-2006, 01:10 AM
How close is that to mine and Jen's seats?

Mike's seat is further down the right field line, whereas our seats are behind the Sox dugout. However, if you check the other Pittsburgh thread that's been floating around here for a couple months, someone posted that switching seats at PNC is very easy, so maybe Mike could move by us- just wait 'til the 3rd or 4th inning.

Chips
06-27-2006, 01:13 AM
Mike's seat is further down the right field line, whereas our seats are behind the Sox dugout. However, if you check the other Pittsburgh thread that's been floating around here for a couple months, someone posted that switching seats at PNC is very easy, so maybe Mike could move by us- just wait 'til the 3rd or 4th inning.

Excellent. I didn't feel like reading through that whole thing.

voodoochile
06-27-2006, 01:44 AM
Okay, how about Hi Tops at 5:00. I still need to purchase a ticket - so I will do that and then go to the bar. I might have a couple of buddiesmwith me, but don't know for sure.

I walked all over downtown and the Carson street area today. Ate Primanti's late at their blues club location on Carson. I can get around by walking or bus pretty well already and would love to do some touristy type stuff on Thursday or even mid-afternoon on Wednesday if people want. I am a veritable font of information at the moment, so holler back and let's show these Pittsbughers what south side in the house truly means. Carson street area is on the south side too boot...

WestSider
06-27-2006, 02:18 AM
There will be 6 of us there:

Wednesday night
Section 120 Row K

Thursday day
Bleacher Section 133 Row G

Any plans for meeting up at Hightops or Firewaters before Wednesday's game? Maybe we can exchange cell number via PM.

Also, anyone flying out Weds morning 10:30AM (?) or returning Friday morning on United Airlines? PM me and I'll sponsor you for a first-class upgrade.

WestSider
06-27-2006, 02:26 AM
Hey, question for you guys at home

http://chicago.comcastsportsnet.com/Images/talent/JacksonSoxTalentPage.jpg

Can somebody blow that picture of DJ up to 2 or 3 times its current size and post it here?

Here:

http://imagepros.us/view.php?img=24975 2x
http://imagepros.us/view.php?img=24977 3x

EastCoastSoxFan
06-27-2006, 11:21 AM
There will be 6 of us there:

Wednesday night
Section 120 Row K

Thursday day
Bleacher Section 133 Row G

Any plans for meeting up at Hightops or Firewaters before Wednesday's game? Maybe we can exchange cell number via PM.

Also, anyone flying out Weds morning 10:30AM (?) or returning Friday morning on United Airlines? PM me and I'll sponsor you for a first-class upgrade.Hi Tops before Wednesday's game sounds good to me. I'll be getting in late afternoon / early evening...

SOXintheBURGH
06-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Okay, how about Hi Tops at 5:00. I still need to purchase a ticket - so I will do that and then go to the bar. I might have a couple of buddiesmwith me, but don't know for sure.

I walked all over downtown and the Carson street area today. Ate Primanti's late at their blues club location on Carson. I can get around by walking or bus pretty well already and would love to do some touristy type stuff on Thursday or even mid-afternoon on Wednesday if people want. I am a veritable font of information at the moment, so holler back and let's show these Pittsbughers what south side in the house truly means. Carson street area is on the south side too boot...

Hit up the Strip, voodoo.

logansquaresox
06-27-2006, 12:43 PM
I get into town around 4pm on Wednesday and will be sitting in section 7 (row L, I think). I'm looking forward to seeing all of you at Hi Tops tomorrow night!

HomeFish
06-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Here:

http://imagepros.us/view.php?img=24975 2x
http://imagepros.us/view.php?img=24977 3x

Thanks a lot!

Now if you can make it stop raining in Pittsburgh, do that also. :smile:

SOXintheBURGH
06-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Thanks a lot!

Now if you can make it stop raining in Pittsburgh, do that also. :smile:

I'm working on it. Too hungover.

What are you up too today at the Spitt Campus? Theres some rippin' museos near there. A great philanthropist was Andrew Carnegie.

voodoochile
06-27-2006, 02:13 PM
I'm working on it. Too hungover.

What are you up too today at the Spitt Campus? Theres some rippin' museos near there. A great philanthropist was Andrew Carnegie.

This town is very cool in general. Love the old architecture everywhere and so far things have gone great. I'm at a little bar/restaurant at the top of the incline on Shiloh street called the Fireside Yacht club or something. Free WiFi and a decent little menu.

One things for sure you folks take your football WAY too seriously around these parts. I was at a bar last night and the NCAA baseball final was on. My buddy asks me if I'm rooting for the Tar Heels. I tell him I am a UNCW fan now and followed it up with a "Go Seahawks" fairly loud. The ID checker immediately says, "Seahwaks SUCK!" My buddy is cracking up and explains to the LADY that I was talking about a different Seahawks. So she didn't kick my ass.:tongue:

Must have walked about 5 miles yesterday and those hills are killer, but it was a blast.

Looking forward to meeting everybody. I'm wearing a black and blue tie-dye t-shirt and a WS WS champions lockerroom hat.

SOXintheBURGH
06-27-2006, 02:15 PM
This town is very cool in general. Love the old architecture everywhere and so far things have gone great. I'm at a little bar/restaurant at the top of the incline on Shiloh street called the Fireside Yacht club or something. Free WiFi and a decent little menu.

One things for sure you folks take your football WAY too seriously around these parts. I was at a bar last night and the NCAA baseball final was on. My buddy asks me if I'm rooting for the Tar Heels. I tell him I am a UNCW fan now and followed it up with a "Go Seahawks" fairly loud. The ID checker immediately says, "Seahwaks SUCK!" My buddy is cracking up and explains to the LADY that I was talking about a different Seahawks. So she didn't kick my ass.:tongue:

Must have walked about 5 miles yesterday and those hills are killer, but it was a blast.

Looking forward to meeting everybody. I'm wearing a black and blue tie-dye t-shirt and a WS WS champions lockerroom hat.

:rolling:

Sounds like a typical little pub. The hills were brutal on me when I first got here but now I make fun of those flatlanders out there in Illinois. :tongue:

EastCoastSoxFan
06-27-2006, 04:56 PM
I get into town around 4pm on Wednesday and will be sitting in section 7 (row L, I think). I'm looking forward to seeing all of you at Hi Tops tomorrow night!Next stop: The 'Burgh tomorrow in the late afternoon. See everybody at Hi Tops...
:cool:

chisoxmike
06-28-2006, 12:19 AM
I get into town around 4pm on Wednesday and will be sitting in section 7 (row L, I think). I'm looking forward to seeing all of you at Hi Tops tomorrow night!

See you there. I'm right in front (or back) of you.

I'm in Section 7, Row L on Thursday

logansquaresox
06-28-2006, 12:30 AM
See you there. I'm right in front (or back) of you.

I'm in Section 7, Row L on Thursday

And at Hi Tops before the game? :bandance:

Chips
06-28-2006, 12:31 AM
And at Hi Tops before the game? :bandance:
Oh yeah, drinks are on Do Re Mi.

Baby Fisk
06-28-2006, 01:01 AM
The Strip is cool -- definitely something to check out.

I'm in Section 5 on Wednesday night. Blue hat, old school Sox logo with the big S.

voodoochile
06-28-2006, 01:10 AM
Oh yeah, drinks are on Do Re Mi.
Cool. I just got back from the game. Before the game only Steveironcity was there from WSI, though one guy was walking around in a grey road jersey with a Blackberry (or equivelent), but he didn't seem to recognize me from the description I left earlier, so I didn't bother him.

After the game I ran into Chisoxgirl and then we met MonkeyPants and had a few beers. It was cool.

Right now Hi Tops is definitely the gathering place, but it is really loud and kind of pricey being a corporately owned bar. Still it makes the best place to meet before the game and after. Tomorrow, CSG wants to go see batting practice, so she may not be there before, but will be there afterwards so definitely plan on that and then we can go wherever we want to.

Again, if anyone wants to do some touristy stuff during the day, tell me where to meet you and we can set off to have some fun. 11:00 or even noon should give us plenty of time to explore.

SOXintheBURGH
06-28-2006, 03:56 AM
Cool. I just got back from the game. Before the game only Steveironcity was there from WSI, though one guy was walking around in a grey road jersey with a Blackberry (or equivelent), but he didn't seem to recognize me from the description I left earlier, so I didn't bother him.

After the game I ran into Chisoxgirl and then we met MonkeyPants and had a few beers. It was cool.

Right now Hi Tops is definitely the gathering place, but it is really loud and kind of pricey being a corporately owned bar. Still it makes the best place to meet before the game and after. Tomorrow, CSG wants to go see batting practice, so she may not be there before, but will be there afterwards so definitely plan on that and then we can go wherever we want to.

Again, if anyone wants to do some touristy stuff during the day, tell me where to meet you and we can set off to have some fun. 11:00 or even noon should give us plenty of time to explore.

Lil' Pudge and I were at Hi Topps pre game looking for you based on your t-shirt description but we couldn't find yins. After the game we went to Firewaters for a couple.

voodoochile
06-28-2006, 08:59 AM
Lil' Pudge and I were at Hi Topps pre game looking for you based on your t-shirt description but we couldn't find yins. After the game we went to Firewaters for a couple.

We ended up in firewater after about an hour in Hi Tops, but no one was left in FW.

Tonight I don't know if I am doing pre-game, but will definitely be doing post game. Plans are up in the air...

Baby Fisk
06-28-2006, 09:38 AM
Here's a meeting-up proposal:

The outfield concourse at PNC is easily accessible and last night Burgh and I hung out behind the Sox bullpen before the game started.
If anyone is interested, let's make that a meeting-up location just before tonight game. Let's say 6:45ish. Everyone is welcome. You too Homefish, don't be shy. :)

Burgh, iffen I don't see yins before then, that's where I'll be at if you can get away from your other delegation.

WestSider
06-28-2006, 10:29 AM
Hopefully we'll stop by Hi-tops before the game. There will be five of us (1 is a Pirates fan), look for the girl with the away grey jersey.

Right now, I am still in Chicago, about to leave home - the UA 11:24am flight is showing delayed 30 minutes. I think it will be even more than that. :mad:

steveironcity
06-28-2006, 05:19 PM

It took me about 2 minutes to explain to the bartender that the nachos were on my tab. Not the brightest barkeep to be sure.

HomeFish
06-28-2006, 05:26 PM
I showed up at Hi-Tops at 5 but was turned back for being underage.

I'm now back in Chicago. Good luck to everyone who's still in Pittsburgh for the next two games.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Jen & Mike made it onto WGN - 3 seconds of fame - YES!!!

Cat Thief
06-28-2006, 08:19 PM

Seen 'em!

robiwho
06-29-2006, 07:43 AM

Drat! The one game I didn't get to watch!

Palehose13
06-29-2006, 01:38 PM
I'm listening to the game via radio today and Farmer said something about fans in the hotel and they weren't happy cause soem of the guys were tired and didn't want to pose for pics or something...I don't know, he was pretty vague. Was this any of the WSI folks or maybe Henry? Anyone know?

hi im skot
06-29-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm listening to the game via radio today and Farmer said something about fans in the hotel and they weren't happy cause soem of the guys were tired and didn't want to pose for pics or something...I don't know, he was pretty vague. Was this any of the WSI folks or maybe Henry? Anyone know?

Apparently, people were trying to take pictures with the players while they were eating dinner (which is an obvious no-no), and some of the players were upset about it.

Can't blame 'em at all...

Palehose13
06-29-2006, 02:11 PM
Apparently, people were trying to take pictures with the players while they were eating dinner (which is an obvious no-no), and some of the players were upset about it.

Can't blame 'em at all...

Yeah, I heard that. It seemed that there might have been another incident or two. To me, it seemed that the message was "At the ballpark you can bother them, at the hotel you can't." I agree to an extent...see, many players don't really make themselves available at the ballpark. However, I don't think that a fan should be an annoying pud while the guy is eating dinner.

So I know quite a few WSIers went to Pittsburgh. I guess we'll have to wait til after the game to see if anyone here was involved.

ChiSoxGirl
06-29-2006, 05:58 PM
Just got back from Pittsburgh a few hours ago, and stayed at the Westin for two nights, so let me share my stories regarding the players.

I had an encounter with literally half the team Wednesday afternoon- no joke, HALF THE TEAM!!!! I was at the computer on the second floor printing out my boarding pass for Southwest and Allen Thomas was at the computer behind me- no biggie. I happen to turn around from my computer and who comes walking toward me? Scott Podsednik... asking if I knew where the restroom was. Looking around and hoping to come up with an answer for our left fielder, I came up empty. However, a hotel employee asked me what he was looking for, so I told her. She relayed the location of the restroom to me, so I called out Scott's name and pointed him in the right direction. I had my camera in my bag and wanted a picture of he & I, but knew that wasn't the right time.

Five minutes after this encounter, I turned to my left again and one by one, the team starts filing out of a conference room and heading toward the elevators- Ozzie must've been holding court or somethng- Dye, A.J., Crede, Anderson, Cintron, Mackowiak, Buehrle, Cotts, McCarthy, and Garland. I conveniently decide that now is a perfect time to head back up to my room, so I go over to the elevators and say "what's goin' on?" to the team. They said "hi" back to me, and I told Buehrle, who was sitting down on a bench right where I was standing, that he pitched a great game Tuesday night; he accepted the compliment and was cordial to me. The elevator came and I decided that I'd wait for the next one and let the guys go up to their respective floors. No sooner do I press the up button for the elevator does Jim Thome come and stand next to me, also waiting for the elevator! I said hi to him, and he returned the gesture. We rode in the elevator together (scottiehaswheels was in the elevator when it came to the second floor) and I got off on my floor.

I went into the Fish Market restaurant in the Westin Wednesday afternoon while I was waiting for chisoxmike and Chips to arrive, and saw Ozzie, his middle son, and Joey Cora walk in for lunch. I said "hi" to Ozzie and he acknowledged me. The restaurant was pretty empty, so no one bothered them during their meal.

This morning when I went to the lobby to check out around 10:15a, B.A. was at the counter checking out, Garland was standing about five feet behind me waiting for Anderson, Farmer was directly in front of me in line, and Hawk came and got in line behind me. I said "hi" to Garland and he half jokingly asked me what time today's game was. I jokingly said to him, "you're the player... you tell me." He smiled and I told him I was just messing with him, it's 12:30. When I was waiting for my shuttle to the airport just before 10:30a, Widger, Buehrle, Iguchi, and Dye also came down and were headed to the ballpark on a Coach bus. Of all the guys, Iguchi was the only one who signed an autograph for a 10 year old boy. The boy asked Dye & Buehrle for their autographs, but both said they were running late. I'd say this was definitely true, considering the players left the hotel on Tuesday & Wednesday around 3:30p for 7:05p games. I was actually surprised that Dye, Anderson, and Widger played today, considering they were still at the Westin two hours before first pitch.

ALL of those situations I described warranted picture taking, particularly the one on one encounter with Pods, and the one at the elevators on Wednesday afternoon, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Besides, what was I going to do, ask a player to take a picture of me & the other guys?! As awesome as it would've been to have a picture with half of the World Champions, it would've been too awkward of a situation. I wasn't wearing Sox gear at the time, so I was incognito, but regardless, I would've been labeled as a "fan girl" or something to that effect had I gone ahead with the picture taking.

Overall, I didn't have any trouble with any of the players- the ones I talked to were all nice and cordial- especially Pods, Buehrle, and Garland. But then again, I didn't put myself into a situation where they'd have any reason to be mean or rude to me.

robiwho
06-29-2006, 06:03 PM
Just got back from Pittsburgh a few hours ago, and stayed at the Westin for two nights, so let me share my stories regarding the players.

Great stories! I'm looking forward to hearing more about the trip tomorrow!

ChiSoxGirl
06-29-2006, 06:28 PM
This was an awesome roadtrip to go on! Being it was my first ever, I didn't know what to expect; it was incredible! Shelling out the money to stay at the Westin for both nights made it all the more enjoyable of an experience. Had I stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott like I originally decided, I wouldn't have come away with any of those players stories I did.

PNC is everything people have said it is, and then some. The buildings and Roberto Clemente bridge behind it almost look fake because of how close in proximity they are to the park. The ushers were very friendly and were interested in a Sox fan's perspective of everything.

Some of the Pirates fans left a little to be desired, particularly on Tuesday night. I took more flack for being a vocal Sox fan than I thought I would. Some guy who was a Cleveland fan saw the World Champions patch on my Konerko jersey and made a snide remark, asking what that was on my sleeve. I reminded him the Sox are the World Champions, and his condescending and somewhat snide response was, "oh, well the Indians would've won the division and you guys wouldn't have even gone to the playoffs, had they not fallen apart during the last week." Whatever, dude. A family of three even told me I should move because my cheering for the Sox and Sox gear was "distracting to them." Fine, I'll move... to right behind the camera pit by the Sox dugout! :tongue:

It was great to meet up with many of the WSIers I already knew- chisoxmike, Chips, voodoochile, and SaltyPretzel- and awesome to finally meet and hang out with many of whom I've seen post here, but hadn't met yet- Baby Fisk, monkeypants, logansquaresox, soxintheBURGH, MUSoxfan, and McFish. While Hi-Tops was loud and made it nearly impossible to hold a conversation, particularly on Tuesday night when we weren't fortunate enough to snag a table outside (thanks voodoo for last night's outdoor table!), it was a great post-game spot to go and hang out.

The Sox Army was in full force and represented well in Pitt. We were loud and apparently visible at all the games. Seeing other Sox fans in town was great- we'd high-five one another and say the words "White Sox-" just like being at a home game. I knew chisoxmike & I made it onto WGN when my cell phone rang three times in five minutes; even my uncle in California called to say he saw us!

Kudos to steveironcity (I think) who posted last week that switching seats at PNC was easy. Thanks to this tip, I was able to enjoy the last two innings of Tuesday's game from behind the camera pit to the left of the Sox dugout, and Chips, chisoxmike, and I saw more than half of Wednesday's game from the second row behind the Sox dugout! Never once were we asked for our tickets. In fact, Chips started talking with the usher in Sec. 12 last night and by the time the conversation was over, the usher was convinced that those seats were OURS down there! :wink: Seeing a game from this close, and actually hearing Ozzie and the other guys was nothing short of awesome!

I snapped close to 100 pictures in the two days I was there, and when I have a chance to weed through them and decide which ones I want to post, they'll be up in their respective galleries.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-29-2006, 07:44 PM
This was an awesome roadtrip to go on! Being it was my first ever, I didn't know what to expect; it was incredible!

That trip sounded awesome - glad you had a great time and it sounded like everyone else did as well, the result of today's game notwithstanding.

steveironcity
06-29-2006, 07:49 PM
I went to the game tuesday, and had a nice time at Hightops with my brother and Voodoochile. wish I could have met more Sox fans, but had a great time.

Chips
06-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Kudos to steveironcity (I think) who posted last week that switching seats at PNC was easy. Thanks to this tip, I was able to enjoy the last two innings of Tuesday's game from behind the camera pit to the left of the Sox dugout, and Chips, chisoxmike, and I saw more than half of Wednesday's game from the second row behind the Sox dugout! Never once were we asked for our tickets. In fact, Chips started talking with the usher in Sec. 12 last night and by the time the conversation was over, the usher was convinced that those seats were OURS down there!

I walked up to that same guy before today's shook his hand and everything and then he asked for my ticket and wouldn't let me sit there again. After the rain delay, Mike and I went down there to sit, I wiped off the seat and he told us to sit somewhere else. So we sat in section 7 by logansquaresox and her better half.

Chips
06-29-2006, 08:55 PM
I had my camera in my bag and wanted a picture of he & I, but knew that wasn't the right time.

Five minutes after this encounter, I turned to my left again and one by one, the team starts filing out of a conference room and heading toward the elevators- Ozzie must've been holding court or somethng- Dye, A.J., Crede, Anderson, Cintron, Mackowiak, Buehrle, Cotts, McCarthy, and Garland. I conveniently decide that now is a perfect time to head back up to my room, so I go over to the elevators and say "what's goin' on?" to the team. They said "hi" back to me, and I told Buehrle, who was sitting down on a bench right where I was standing, that he pitched a great game Tuesday night; he accepted the compliment and was cordial to me. The elevator came and I decided that I'd wait for the next one and let the guys go up to their respective floors. No sooner do I press the up button for the elevator does Jim Thome come and stand next to me, also waiting for the elevator! I said hi to him, and he returned the gesture. We rode in the elevator together (scottiehaswheels was in the elevator when it came to the second floor) and I got off on my floor.

I went into the Fish Market restaurant in the Westin Wednesday afternoon while I was waiting for chisoxmike and Chips to arrive, and saw Ozzie, his middle son, and Joey Cora walk in for lunch. I said "hi" to Ozzie and he acknowledged me. The restaurant was pretty empty, so no one bothered them during their meal.

This morning when I went to the lobby to check out around 10:15a, B.A. was at the counter checking out, Garland was standing about five feet behind me waiting for Anderson, Farmer was directly in front of me in line, and Hawk came and got in line behind me. I said "hi" to Garland and he half jokingly asked me what time today's game was. I jokingly said to him, "you're the player... you tell me." He smiled and I told him I was just messing with him, it's 12:30. When I was waiting for my shuttle to the airport just before 10:30a, Widger, Buehrle, Iguchi, and Dye also came down and were headed to the ballpark on a Coach bus. Of all the guys, Iguchi was the only one who signed an autograph for a 10 year old boy. The boy asked Dye & Buehrle for their autographs, but both said they were running late. I'd say this was definitely true, considering the players left the hotel on Tuesday & Wednesday around 3:30p for 7:05p games. I was actually surprised that Dye, Anderson, and Widger played today, considering they were still at the Westin two hours before first pitch.

I should have came down with you this morning, huh?

ChiSoxGirl
06-29-2006, 10:50 PM
I should have came down with you this morning, huh?

Yes, you should have- you would've seen half a dozen players!

I forgot to mention that I was chatting with Hawk about how this was my first roadtrip and how great it was while standing in line to check out, and he started telling me how when you have a team like ours, it's easy to follow them on the road and have a great time! Hawk also let me take a picture of his World Series ring!

ChiSoxGirl
06-29-2006, 10:54 PM
I can't believe I forgot to add this to my original Pittsburgh post!

I was sitting in the Westin's lobby last night around 1a with chisoxmike, Chips, monkeypants, & Baby Fisk and Kenny Williams walked by, headed toward The Fish Market restaurant and presumably making sure his team wasn't still out partying. I said, "what's up KW?" and he said to us, "It's late, guys! Y'all need to go to sleep!" The Sox G.M. told us to go to sleep! :tongue:

WagMan
06-29-2006, 10:58 PM
Just got back from my one day baseball marathon to Pittsburgh. PNC Park was beautiful. Everyone around us in Section 7 was real cool (mainly cuz they were Sox fans). Besides the final outcome of the game, it was a wonderful experience that I'd do over again in an instant. My only regret was making this a one day affair and not hanging out for a few days.

Side note. A guy on the flight home said he was at the Westin Tuesday night when all the hullabaloo broke out. I guess it got pretty nasty. He didn't go into detail but said that there were fans trying to butt in on the players (and Ozzie's) time and they weren't having it. By his account, Ozzie basically had the place cleared out of any fans wearing Sox gear. Like I said, 2nd hand news. I'm sure the real story will come out sooner or later.

paciorek1983
06-29-2006, 11:01 PM
Would any of you mind giving me your impression of PNC Park? How did you like it? If you've been to otherballparks, how does it compare?

WagMan
06-29-2006, 11:07 PM
Would any of you mind giving me your impression of PNC Park? How did you like it? If you've been to otherballparks, how does it compare?

Well, all I heard about before going there that it was considered the best park in baseball. I did like the sight lines from our seats and various other areas in the park I tested out with my 2 hours before 1st pitch. As of now, I'd probably rate it as the 2nd best park I've seen behind AT&T park or whatever it's called now in San Fran. Aside from the great views, there weren't any other ammenities that made it special.

ChiSoxGirl
06-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Side note. A guy on the flight home said he was at the Westin Tuesday night when all the hullabaloo broke out. I guess it got pretty nasty. He didn't go into detail but said that there were fans trying to butt in on the players (and Ozzie's) time and they weren't having it. By his account, Ozzie basically had the place cleared out of any fans wearing Sox gear. Like I said, 2nd hand news. I'm sure the real story will come out sooner or later.

Any idea what time on Tuesday night all this went down? Monkeypants & I got back to the Westin around 12:15a and all was quiet.... If what this guy told you was true, I can understand why the players weren't as apt to make conversation with me or any of the other Sox fans, and it validates my decision to not ask them for pictures when I had my awesome encounter yesterday afternoon.

When I was waiting for the airport shuttle at the Westin this morning, a woman who was sitting near where I was standing told Dye, "you're the best, Jermaine" as he, Iguchi, Garland, and Buehrle were headed out to their bus, and all he said in return was a very lethargic, "uh huh...."

oeo
06-29-2006, 11:20 PM
Why do people feel they have to barge into players' lives? These are probably the same people that will complain that every one of those guys is an ass because they ignore you. Since I have never seen a player outside of the Cell, I would probably be pretty happy if I saw one elsewhere, but I wouldn't want to get in their way, maybe a simple, "Hello," but that's it.

They are human, and I'm sure no one would like it if people just kept being a nuisance during their daily activities.

chisoxmike
06-29-2006, 11:29 PM
I can tell you all that none of the WSIers that I was with did not bother any playes at the hotel. We didn't see any around, expect Jen on Tuesday.

chips and I ran into DJ and Chris Singleton coming off the elevator on Wednesday afternoon. Thats it. Oh yeah... and Kenny telling us to go to bed was the highlight.

ChiSoxGirl
06-29-2006, 11:30 PM
I can tell you all that none of the WSIers that I was with did not bother any playes at the hotel. We didn't see any around, expect Jen on Tuesday.

You mean Wednesday? :wink:

chisoxmike
06-29-2006, 11:32 PM
You mean Wednesday? :wink:

I'm tired.

ChiSoxGirl
06-29-2006, 11:33 PM
I'm tired.

Join the club! My eyes are burning and the contacts have been out for over an hour already, but it's worth it because last night was awesome! :bandance: :gulp:

chisoxfanatic
06-30-2006, 12:13 AM
I met Mary Catherine Swanson while in Austin the past four days; does that count for anything? :cool:

Sounds like you all had a blast. Glad you were all able to bring home another series victory.

Which players seemed to be the shyest? The best to talk to? The biggest clowns? Were there any of the players that came off as jerks?

Chips
06-30-2006, 12:15 AM
I'm tired.

So Am I.

chisoxmike
06-30-2006, 12:16 AM
So Am I.

How you doing at the Airport? Any good news?

Chips
06-30-2006, 12:22 AM
How you doing at the Airport? Any good news?

The airport can go to hell, all the ****ing bars and resturants are closed, and they turned off the ****ing lights.

Good news, I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to GEICO.

MUsoxfan
06-30-2006, 12:39 AM
The airport can go to hell, all the ****ing bars and resturants are closed, and they turned off the ****ing lights.

Good news, I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to GEICO.

I saw you running down the concourse tonight before I got on my Southwest flight. I thought you'd be on it

Chips
06-30-2006, 12:43 AM
I saw you running down the concourse tonight before I got on my Southwest flight. I thought you'd be on it

That would have been excellent.

Chips
06-30-2006, 01:15 AM
I think it may be time to see how comfortbale these chairs are for sleeping.

EastCoastSoxFan
06-30-2006, 10:54 AM
It was great to meet up with many of the WSIers I already knew- chisoxmike, Chips, voodoochile, and SaltyPretzel- and awesome to finally meet and hang out with many of whom I've seen post here, but hadn't met yet- Baby Fisk, monkeypants, logansquaresox, soxintheBURGH, MUSoxfan, and McFish. While Hi-Tops was loud and made it nearly impossible to hold a conversation, particularly on Tuesday night when we weren't fortunate enough to snag a table outside (thanks voodoo for last night's outdoor table!), it was a great post-game spot to go and hang out.

The Sox Army was in full force and represented well in Pitt. We were loud and apparently visible at all the games. Seeing other Sox fans in town was great- we'd high-five one another and say the words "White Sox-" just like being at a home game. I knew chisoxmike & I made it onto WGN when my cell phone rang three times in five minutes; even my uncle in California called to say he saw us!

I snapped close to 100 pictures in the two days I was there, and when I have a chance to weed through them and decide which ones I want to post, they'll be up in their respective galleries.It was good to finally meet some WSI'ers since I'm sort of in exile here on the east coast.
It was kind of funny, too -- during batting practice on Wednesday I was hanging out in the left field bleachers hoping to catch a home run ball when ChiSoxGirl, chisoxmike, BabyFisk, and Chips wandered into the area and asked an usher to take their picture. I happened to be standing immediately behind them, and the usher asked if I was a friend of theirs and did they want me to be in the picture, too. Noticing my now obsolete but easily identifiable WSI "Not Cursed!" T-shirt, they invited me into the picture and we introduced ourselves.
I tried to look for you guys (and other WSI'ers) later on, but I was pretty tired and hoarse after that game, so I just crashed in the hotel.
Oh, well. Like ships (or should I say chips?) passing in the night.
I will, as always, be on the lookout for Sox fans in Baltimore and New York...

monkeypants
06-30-2006, 11:27 PM
Well, I just got back from the 'burgh and it was a fantastic trip. I was lucky enough to see all three games at the best ballpark that I've ever seen. At least 10-15 times while in the park, some natives asked me how I liked the park. They are very proud of it and understandably so. It is the smallest MLB park I've been to so it's more intimate and even the upper deck seats are fairly close to the action. For the second and third games I was able to buy tickets behind home plate for $20 from a scalper. All the fans I talked to were fairly knowledgeable about baseball and all of them were fed up with the owners. Before the game starts the Pirates have this cool computer animated clip where there is a sea battle between the Bucs and the rest of the NL Central competition. It was hilarious to hear the Sox fans cheer when the Pirate ship sinks the Cubs ship.

Pittsburgh is a funky cool big little city. It definitely has it's own character. And I forgot that hills are a bitch. Kennywood was fun in a quaint olde tyme amusement park way. I certainly enjoyed drinking Yuengling although I still don't understand why it's pronounced Yingling. Before making this trip, I thought the whole "yinz/yunz" thing was a joke but Pittsburghers really do say it. "Stop that rough-housing yinz two!" made me crack up.

As it has been said before, Sox players were abound at the Westin. The only guy I even bothered to say hello to was Coop just because he was sitting by the front door by himself waiting for someone. It's kind of weird to see these guys just doing normal everyday things like Konerko reading the paper or Harold and Herm eating out. Or Jermaine Dye getting out of a cab with 3 20-something girls. Still, I didn't see any Sox fans harrassing any of our boys while I was there.

Finally, it was an honor and a priviledge to finally meet, talk with and drink with some of the fine posters on this board. Thanks yinz guys for sharing this experience with me.

"It's time to shoot some hot dogs,
It's time to shoot some hot dogs,
It's time to shoot some hot dogs,
And grab yourself some meat!"

ChiSoxGirl
06-30-2006, 11:33 PM
Or Jermaine Dye getting out of a cab with 3 20-something girls. Still, I didn't see any Sox fans harrassing any of our boys while I was there.

Finally, it was an honor and a priviledge to finally meet, talk with and drink with some of the fine posters on this board. Thanks yinz guys for sharing this experience with me.

I failed to mention me, you, and voodoo seeing Dye get out of a cab with those three 20-somethings in my recap of the Pittsburgh experience.

It was great to meet and hang out with you, too! Hopefully, you'll be able to make it out to some of our other WSI functions.

And by the way, I think you made it home before Chips! :o:

Chips
06-30-2006, 11:38 PM
And by the way, I think you made it home before Chips! :o:

I think everyone made it home before me.

voodoochile
07-01-2006, 02:10 AM
I think everyone made it home before me.

I got into Jacksonville today about noon. I got home about 1:15. I got home from work about 30 minutes ago. I'm going to sleep long and deep tonight.

It was a great trip. Meeting the 10 odd WSI posters and getting to tour Pittsburgh was great. Must have walked 30 miles this week and those hills make it seem more like 50, but it was a blast. I got two rolls of film to get developed provided they made it through the x-ray machine okay. Hopefully I'll post them later this week.

Great to meet everybody. I look forward to doing it again in the future. I'm definitely going back to Pittsburgh, in fact, I am adopting the Pirates as my NL team.

Chips, I cannot accept the offer to be on the WSI drinking team. I just don't have it in me anymore, but I'm more than willing to be the old trusted pro off the bench when you need one...:tongue::rolleyes::gulp:

SOXintheBURGH
07-01-2006, 04:00 AM
:rolling:

I was hoping a WSIer would reference that. That has been, and always will be, my favorite part of going to PNC Park.

I have yet to grab any meat.

Baby Fisk
07-04-2006, 09:52 AM
Pittsburgh's a nice city, but two things:

1) it's impossible to get around -- no subway, scarce taxis
2) it seemed impossible to get out of -- my flight was cancelled twice, Thursday afternoon and Friday morning, so I told Air Canada to go to hell, rented an SUV and did a 5.5 hour nonstop drive home on Friday. Got fuel to burn, got roads to drive.

Carnegie Museum of Art and Museum of Natural History were OK. They've got the requisite Monet, Van Gogh and other big names to make it worthwhile.

The Strip was a cool place to get some ethnic grub.

Dusquene Incline was a bitch of a hike to get to on a humid day, but definitely worth the view.

PNC Park: beauty eh! Great views from the upper deck, nice angled seats on the lower deck, and some great food too. The kielbasas with the works were awesome, and this is the only park I've seen that offered chicken wings (yummy). The design of the park is very similar to Comerica, but without all the tigers and crazy ferris wheel. Also, they do a pierogie race at midgame, similar to Milwaukee's sausage race.

Westin Hotel: my Sox encounters were few. I walked past A.J. in the lobby. He glared at me, I glared at him, no big deal.

All-Time Classic Westin Hotel Elevator Encounter: Baby Fisk meets Ed Farmer! We had detente, and it was cordial. :cool:

It was great meeting Voodoo, Chisoxmike, Chisoxgirl, Chips, Monkeypants, EastCoastSoxFan, LoganSquare, and the other Sox rowdies at Hi-Topps.

And of course, special thanks to the man hisself, SOXintheBURGH. Never was there a classier host, tour guide, and beer recommender. You sir, are quality. :cheers: Yingling is very similar to Sleeman's Honey Brown.

ChiSoxGirl
07-05-2006, 12:30 AM
For those of you who'd like to see them, my pictures from the Pittsburgh roadtrip have been posted in the WSI Members, Other Parks, and Current Players galleries.

Chips
07-05-2006, 12:33 AM
For those of you who'd like to see them, my pictures from the Pittsburgh roadtrip have been posted in the WSI Members, Other Parks, and Current Players galleries.

I look tanked in most of them.

ChiSoxGirl
07-05-2006, 12:34 AM

That's because you WERE tanked in most of them!

cheeses_h_rice
07-05-2006, 12:35 AM

:o:

:rolleyes:

:redneck

Chips
07-05-2006, 12:36 AM
Pittsburgh's a nice city, but two things:

2) it seemed impossible to get out of -- my flight was cancelled twice, Thursday afternoon and Friday morning, so I told Air Canada to go to hell, rented an SUV and did a 5.5 hour nonstop drive home on Friday. Got fuel to burn, got roads to drive.

Tell me about it, I was in the Pittsburgh airport from 5:30pm on Thursday until 7:00pm on Friday.

It was great meeting Voodoo, Chisoxmike, Chisoxgirl, Chips, Monkeypants, EastCoastSoxFan, LoganSquare, and the other Sox rowdies at Hi-Topps.

Good to meet you too as well as Voodoo, etc.

Chips
07-05-2006, 12:37 AM
That's because you WERE tanked in most of them!

Oh yeah. :redneck

SOXintheBURGH
07-05-2006, 12:38 AM
Pleasure meeting you all as well, wish I could have had more time to hang out.

Baby Fisk
07-05-2006, 09:56 AM
Tell me about it, I was in the Pittsburgh airport from 5:30pm on Thursday until 7:00pm on Friday.

That's brutal. I guess you were the last one home then. That is, unless Monkeypants went on some spontaneous gonzo bender and spent the weekend in Atlantic City. He seemed the sort. :redneck

batmanZoSo
07-05-2006, 10:12 AM
Nice pics, guys, but I got a fever and the only cure...is more Burgh. Où le Burgh est?

monkeypants
07-05-2006, 12:52 PM
That's brutal. I guess you were the last one home then. That is, unless Monkeypants went on some spontaneous gonzo bender and spent the weekend in Atlantic City. He seemed the sort. :redneck

If by "spontaneous gonzo bender" and "weekend in Atlantic City" you mean "planned gonzo bender with a frozen bottle of Bombay Sapphire gin and tonic waiting for me when I get home from the airport" and "my couch" then yes, that's what I did.

Who knew a mini-vacation could be so stressful?