PDA

View Full Version : Great compliments from the Astros

caulfield12
06-26-2006, 09:23 AM
"I was amazed," Lidge said. "Obviously, they don't ever give up. They have a tremendous team, and they have nine guys that are doing everything right. It took everything we had to win the game tonight. Thank goodness we were able to pull it out. I think we have to play our absolute best to beat that team and avoid mistakes."

"They're the best team we've seen," Garner said.

Astros righthander Roy Oswalt gave his bullpen what appeared to be plenty of room for error Sunday night against the team manager Phil Garner rates as the best he has faced this year.

from houstonchronicle.com

Hitmen77
06-26-2006, 09:32 AM
I hope the Astros are ticked off and can take out their anger on their opponents for the next 3 games.

Thome25
06-26-2006, 09:32 AM
WOW, those are some great quotes coming from that team.

I think it shows some class to come out and compliment the White Sox like that. I mean, at least there weren't any sour grapes like there was from the ass-clowns from St. Louis.

I'm especially surprised to see the complment from Garner. You would expect the exact opposite from him.

Kudos to Lidge and Garner and the rest of the Astros.

itsnotrequired
06-26-2006, 09:34 AM
Reminds me of the comments from some of the Twins players after the Sox mopped the floor with them in April.

:cool:

soxfan13
06-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Was also really surprised with the Garner comment :smile:

salty99
06-26-2006, 09:43 AM
You mean we weren't getting signals from a camera?

mccoydp
06-26-2006, 09:47 AM
I really enjoyed watching that 3-game series with the Astros.

I hope they mop the floor with the Tiggers!

palehozenychicty
06-26-2006, 10:13 AM

I think it shows some class to come out and compliment the White Sox like that. I mean, at least there weren't any sour grapes like there was from the ass-clowns from St. Louis.

I'm especially surprised to see the complment from Garner. You would expect the exact opposite from him.

I lost respect for the Redbirds after their disgraceful 2004 WS effort. They're losers, just like the blue clowns on the Northside. The Astros will get a crown before the redbirds. book it.

cbotnyse
06-26-2006, 10:17 AM
that sure is refreshing to hear after the Cards (:whiner: )saying we stole signs.

oeo
06-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Now, enough messing around, lets start a 13-game winning streak tomorrow, which will take us to the All-Star Break. For some reason, we've had trouble with bad teams. Tomorrow is the first game against a bad team, since probably the last time we played the Flubs.

ws05champs
06-26-2006, 10:28 AM
IIRC Ozzie said something to the effect that the Astros were the best team in the NL Central. You can just see it in what it took for us to beat them the 2 games we did, versus what we did to St. Louis.

Plus they showed a lot of class not only in their post game comments but also in the way they played the game. No bean balls, no cry baby antics just good hard baseball.

The Wall
06-26-2006, 10:37 AM
IIRC Ozzie said something to the effect that the Astros were the best team in the NL Central.

Ozzie also said all last year that Boston was the best team in baseball because they had that trophy. Then again, the Astros are playing far better this season that last year at this time. What intrigues me is the ridiculous amount of talent that is wasting away its time on their bench. Chris Burke and Mike Lamb on the bench? That is insane. You have to open up roster spots for kids with that kind of talent and find out if they can play everyday.

caulfield12
06-26-2006, 10:51 AM
Yeah, but who are you going to sit to get them playing time?

They're entrenched with Ensberg, Everett, P. Wilson and Biggio...obviously, Taveras and Berkman are going to get their 600 AB's as well.

Then you have Jason Lane as well. And the catcher's spot.

The weak spots there are probably Everett and Lane, but Lamb and Burke are not naturals for those positions IMO.

caulfield12
06-26-2006, 10:58 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/baseball/4001503.html

If it makes you feel better, this writer agrees with you.

Maybe they will end up dealing Ensberg and Lane and building around Burke, Berkman and Taveras. Everett isn't worth much...he's a decent everyday MLB shortstop with offensive limitations. Biggio will retire.

Preston Wilson is sort of filler material, but probably isn't in their long-term plans.

Fake Chet Lemon
06-26-2006, 11:04 AM
I hope the Astros are ticked off and can take out their anger on their opponents for the next 3 games.

I said the same thing as the Cardinals left the Cell for Detroit :wink: . I can't wait for inter-league to end. Playing the NL is a joke.

wxkid23
06-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Surprising to hear Phil say something nice about the chisox.. :o:

soxrme
06-26-2006, 11:34 AM
that sure is refreshing to hear after the Cards (:whiner: )saying we stole signs.
I guess the Tigers stole their signs also. They scored a lot of runs.

DumpJerry
06-26-2006, 11:41 AM
I'm not surprised they were complimentary. They knew they were bowing before the Gods.

Frankly Missing
06-26-2006, 11:47 AM
I got an email from a friend in Houston this morning:

"I decided at 11 oclock last night if the Astros didn't get a W, I was defecting to the White Sox"

"Those guys are really growing on me"

"You should be really proud of your team"

WOW, Pretty good stuff from a fan of a team we swept in the Series.

I'm sure it helps we don't have any big ugly heads running around on the field.

Vernam
06-26-2006, 11:54 AM
I can't wait for inter-league to end. Playing the NL is a joke.Just consider it like a minor-league rehab assignment for our entire team. Or a simulated game!

Vernam

gobears1987
06-26-2006, 11:57 AM
IIRC Ozzie said something to the effect that the Astros were the best team in the NL Central. You can just see it in what it took for us to beat them the 2 games we did, versus what we did to St. Louis.

Plus they showed a lot of class not only in their post game comments but also in the way they played the game. No bean balls, no cry baby antics just good hard baseball.That is why they were in the World Series last year. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we have a rematch since I don't see St Louis winning the central. The Cards have looked really bad.

Brian26
06-26-2006, 12:39 PM

Remember Jay Payton said the same thing after we swept the A's at the end of May...something to the effect of, "That's the best team in baseball right there, not even close."

TDog
06-26-2006, 03:39 PM

I think it shows some class to come out and compliment the White Sox like that. I mean, at least there weren't any sour grapes like there was from the ass-clowns from St. Louis. ....

Yes, it does. But if you can't say good things about a team that won four World Series games, two more games nine months later before sending your apparent blowout win into extra innings, you'll probably never compliment an opponent.

russ99
06-26-2006, 03:57 PM
Thankfully the weekend is over, although the Sox should have won all three. Now I can be a (part time) Astros fan again. Sox fandom is full time!

Chris Burke has been playing a lot of CF lately, with Willy Tavares benched due to his attitude. Also, don't forget, when Biggio retires (this fall?), Burke will take over at 2B. This is why they haven't traded him despite considerable interest.

Lamb has gotten in a lot of games also, with the interleague DH, and Ensberg's injury. He can play 3B and 1B, and Berkman can also play in the outfield.

The only wasted lineup spot on the Astros, IMO is Preston Wilson, who strikes out way too much and is not an Astros-type player. Good thing they signed him for cheap.

It will be interesting to see how Clemens does against the Tigers, since he was most concerned about his ability to recover for another start in his minor league tuneups. Brandon Backe is starting a rehab assignment, too, so the Astros starting pitching could be solid again by the break.

If the Cardinals keep playing like they are, the Astros should be in the thick of the playoff race again by the end of the season, so Ozzie's comments aren't really far off base.

hold2dibber
06-26-2006, 05:00 PM
I said the same thing as the Cardinals left the Cell for Detroit :wink: . I can't wait for inter-league to end. Playing the NL is a joke.

Are you nuts?!?! I wish the Sox could play nothing but NL teams. They'd win 140 games! :redneck

wassagstdu
06-26-2006, 05:24 PM
The Sox won 6 straight from them, but every one of those games was close enough to have gone either way (except maybe last Friday). Those are some compliments coming from a pretty fine Astros team.

Ol' No. 2
06-26-2006, 06:15 PM
Thankfully the weekend is over, although the Sox should have won all three. Now I can be a (part time) Astros fan again. Sox fandom is full time!

Chris Burke has been playing a lot of CF lately, with Willy Tavares benched due to his attitude. Also, don't forget, when Biggio retires (this fall?), Burke will take over at 2B. This is why they haven't traded him despite considerable interest.

Lamb has gotten in a lot of games also, with the interleague DH, and Ensberg's injury. He can play 3B and 1B, and Berkman can also play in the outfield.

The only wasted lineup spot on the Astros, IMO is Preston Wilson, who strikes out way too much and is not an Astros-type player. Good thing they signed him for cheap.

It will be interesting to see how Clemens does against the Tigers, since he was most concerned about his ability to recover for another start in his minor league tuneups. Brandon Backe is starting a rehab assignment, too, so the Astros starting pitching could be solid again by the break.

If the Cardinals keep playing like they are, the Astros should be in the thick of the playoff race again by the end of the season, so Ozzie's comments aren't really far off base.Won't Biggio stick around long enough to break 3000 hits? That means one more season.

oeo
06-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Remember Jay Payton said the same thing after we swept the A's at the end of May...something to the effect of, "That's the best team in baseball right there, not even close."
I think a lot more people are going to have the same feelings once we finally take back the division lead. There is no way that the Tigers are better than the Sox, and once we get back what is rightfully ours, the whole nation know who the best team in baseball is. Maybe I'm just biased...wait, no I'm not, I would only be biased in years past; this team is the best team in baseball.

And I didn't think I would ever say it, but I'm starting to even enjoy this team more than the 2005 squad. This year's team seriously never quits. Last year's team was good about the never say die, but this year's team has put a new meaning behind it. After that near comeback (down 10-2 in the 9th) against the Indians and last night (down 9-1 in the 7th), it's almost getting to the point where I'm going to expect them to come back from any deficit. This is going to be a lot of fun, once again.