PDA

View Full Version : KW Trade Quote

Thome25
06-26-2006, 06:42 AM
"There's a high price for a lot of mediocrity out there," he said. "If I had to give odds on us making a change, right now those odds would be miniscule. Plus, I like the way we are."

I sure hope KW changes his attitude about making a trade or two before July 31st. I love this team. Don't get me wrong I'm NOT complaining after our 9-game winning streak I mean, who could ask for more?

I just think this team needs a little more bullpen help. I DON'T think we need to go out and get a new CF. I just think KW needs to go out and get another reliever or two for our bullpen. Our bullpen needs all the help it can get right now because Garland and Vazquez have been giving up a ton of runs lately.

So KW if you're listening: Go out and get us a reliever or two.

I know he just added Riske. But if he added one more relief pitcher our bullpen would be in GREAT shape. Two more relievers would be even better. Also, the Tigers are looking for another hitter or two so the more established relief pitching Ozzie has to work with the better.

What does everyone else out there think? GO WHITE SOX!!!!

Jose.Contreras
06-26-2006, 07:14 AM
Naw. He MIGHT make a move, but I think that we're set up already.

OFFENSE: Tremendous. 1-7 we are arguably tops in all of baseball. Now that Uribe/Cintron is actually beginning to produce at the 8 or 9 slot we look even that much better

DEFENSE: Solid. To be honest, we have underachieved in the field this year. Especially at turning the double play. However, when Anderson plays center (and he should 75% of the time) we are really good. Our infield is damn good defensivley.

BENCH: In my opinion we have the best bench in baseball. Pablo Ozuna is the definiton of a spark-plug off the bench. He is a contact hitter, he gets basehits, he is a great bunter, he is clutch, he is fast, he plays all out all the time, and he can play the infield or outfield (although he is below average in the OF). Man is Ozuna NICE. Add Macowiak (sp?) as another perfect bench guy. Lefty, solid hitter, and also can play almost any position. And Alex Cintron, who looks tremendous. Plays ss or 2b well. And his bat has been very good lateley and CLUTCH! Widger is an average backup catcher.

STARTERS: Very Good. I don't have as much confidence in our starting staff as I did last season. But with Contreras and Buherle as our 1 and 2 you have two starters who can match up with any team on any given day. Contreras especially. He is a big game guy. Now with Garcia and Vasquez you have an odd thing going. Both have great stuff and both look like aces at times. But at the same time both of them are wildly inconsistent. You never know what you're gonna get. I can't say that I trust either one of them . Becuase they can give up a 5 spot in any given inning. It's kinda scary. BUT when talking about starting pitching you'll be hard pressed to find any team that doesn't have starters like that. AND I think that both will get more consistent as the season goes on. Look for Vasquez to really settle in at asome point in the second half. Cooper will have a breakthrough with him. And then Garland is average. But when your 5th starter is average as oppossed to being Bad then you're ahead of the curve. Remember who our 5th starters had been for the previous 7-8 years? UGH. Plus you have McCarty as insurance in case of injury. Sweeeeet. Which reminds me....do we have the most durable rotation in history? (this is not a jinx. This is NOT a jinx!)

BULLPEN: Good. Yeah, that's right. We have a good pen, folks. Was it shaky for a while? Absolutley. But they seem to be settling in quite nicely recently. Cotts is one of the better lefty relievers out there. Not great, but good. Riske looks top notch thus far. He is a nice option out of the bullpen. GREAT addition. Thornton actually looks GOOD. As long as he keeps his control, he is lights out. What a trade KW made and what a job by Coop. THAT is what makes the White Sox so special. We actually have a GM that makes the team better and a coaching staff that makes the players better. What a luxury!! McCarthy looks to be settling down too. I have confidence in him again. He can throw a bunch of innings out of the pen. How many teams in baseball have a guy like McCarthy from the pen? VERY FEW. Now, as the last guy outta the bullpen you add Pollite (maybe all he needed was a trip to the DL. although he looks washed up) or maybe, just MAYBE Dustin Hermanson. And that's the LAST guy from the bullpen. WOW.

CLOSER: Awesome. Bobby Jenks has to be top five in all of baseball right now. Jenks is crazy-nasty . His control has been fantastic lately. If he isn't walking hitters he is unreal. Teams have no chance of a comeback in the 9th agaisnt us right now.

The bottom line is that I honestly think we don't need a move right now. WOWOWOWOWOWOW! How complete are we? Think about it. Soooooooooooo good! 105 wins is my prediciton. And I am a natural pessimist.:rolleyes:

anewman35
06-26-2006, 07:23 AM

Obviously, if KW can make a trade that helps the team, I'm sure he'll do it. But he'd be crazy to come out and say "I want to make a trade". Much better to downplay expectations, that way other teams don't have us right where they want us, and the fans won't revolt when KW doesn't make his promised trade.

Thome25
06-26-2006, 07:38 AM
The bottom line is that I honestly think we don't need a move right now. WOWOWOWOWOWOW! How complete are we? Think about it. Soooooooooooo good! 105 wins is my prediciton. And I am a natural pessimist.:rolleyes:

WOW great analysis. Does anyone think we need some relief help to replace Politte and/or Montero in the bullpen? I think it remains to be see if Politte can come back from that injury and be himself again. (I'm betting that he won't hopefully I'm wrong)

Also, I'd like to see someone experienced to replace Montero. Any suggestions?

bayzbol44
06-26-2006, 07:43 AM
WOW great analysis. Does anyone think we need some relief help to replace Politte and/or Montero in the bullpen? I think it remains to be see if Politte can come back from that injury and be himself again. (I'm betting that he won't hopefully I'm wrong)

Also, I'd like to see someone experienced to replace Montero. Any suggestions?

Cliff Politte??? :D:

Dolanski
06-26-2006, 09:01 AM
It was mentioned a couple of days ago that Hermy was improving and should be back sometime in mid July. That would be a nice shot in the arm for the bullpen...

INSox56
06-26-2006, 09:01 AM
Who unfortunately gave up three hits and a run in one inning a day or two ago. Hopefully he can turn this crap around.

oeo
06-26-2006, 09:09 AM
I sure hope KW changes his attitude about making a trade or two before July 31st. I love this team. Don't get me wrong I'm NOT complaining after our 9-game winning streak I mean, who could ask for more?

I just think this team needs a little more bullpen help. I DON'T think we need to go out and get a new CF. I just think KW needs to go out and get another reliever or two for our bullpen. Our bullpen needs all the help it can get right now because Garland and Vazquez have been giving up a ton of runs lately.

I know he just added Riske. But if he added one more relief pitcher our bullpen would be in GREAT shape. Two more relievers would be even better. Also, the Tigers are looking for another hitter or two so the more established relief pitching Ozzie has to work with the better.

What does everyone else out there think? GO WHITE SOX!!!!

I don't understand what this thread is all about. He said that the asking-price is high for mediocrity. So, why do you want him to go out and waste prospects on mediocrity? It just doesn't make sense. I've believed all along that the bullpen has been fine, it just slumped for a couple of weeks and everyone went crazy. We do not need two relievers, maybe one, but I don't even think we need that.

What really needs to happen, is our rotation needs to consistently give us 7+ innings. Enough of these 5 innings, and you're done because you can't get anyone out. This rotation had high expectations coming into this year, and has not lived up to them.

Thome25
06-26-2006, 09:24 AM
I don't understand what this thread is all about. He said that the asking-price is high for mediocrity. So, why do you want him to go out and waste prospects on mediocrity? It just doesn't make sense. I've believed all along that the bullpen has been fine, it just slumped for a couple of weeks and everyone went crazy. We do not need two relievers, maybe one, but I don't even think we need that.

What really needs to happen, is our rotation needs to consistently give us 7+ innings. Enough of these 5 innings, and you're done because you can't get anyone out. This rotation had high expectations coming into this year, and has not lived up to them.

That is my problem with this quote. I think when it comes down to it, there will be more than just the mediocre players that KW is talking about. When they do become available, I sure hope KW doesn't have this "wait-and-see, my team is perfect attitude."

I'm not saying KW should go out and show all his cards when talking to the media either. I'm just hoping that this quote isn't an actual representation of how he feels about making some improvements.

I'm not saying this team needs an major overhauls done to it either. This team is awesome. You said that some of the starters are having trouble going 5+ innings lately. To me, that is all the more reason to have a stronger bullpen and go out and upgrade.

Mccarthy has been shaky at times. It's looking more and more like Politte is done and Montero isn't the answer there either. Cotts isn't his usual dominant self this season. Thornton is still a project.Yeah the bullpen has been hot lately but, as a whole they've proven more often than not that they're not as strong in that area as they should be.

The only thing to do is to go out and get some help in that area before July 31st.

FielderJones
06-26-2006, 09:32 AM
I think we talked about this last year. The problem with the wild card is that a lot more teams are competitive on July 31, making them less likely to deal. How many teams are going to have a worthwhile bullpen pitcher for sale on July 31? If their bullpen was so great, would they be completely out of the wild card race on July 31?

itsnotrequired
06-26-2006, 09:33 AM
I think we talked about this last year. The problem with the wild card is that a lot more teams are competitive on July 31, making them less likely to deal. How many teams are going to have a worthwhile bullpen pitcher for sale on July 31? If their bullpen was so great, would they be completely out of the wild card race on July 31?

What this guy said. KW isn't sitting on his hands but he also isn't about to massively overpay for a moderately better bullpen pitcher.

Thome25
06-26-2006, 09:35 AM

Pittsburgh and Seattle come to mind off the top of my head when thinking of teams willing to deal some relief pitching.

And NO i'm not talking about Guardado or Marte either.

The Dude
06-26-2006, 10:10 AM

:tealpolice:

"someone called?"

Ol' No. 2
06-26-2006, 11:10 AM

What really needs to happen, is our rotation needs to consistently give us 7+ innings. Enough of these 5 innings, and you're done because you can't get anyone out. This rotation had high expectations coming into this year, and has not lived up to them.Ditto. It's one thing to say you want to get better. It's another to say you'll give up good prospects for mediocre returns. Few, if any, bullpens have six solid arms. Four is good. The Sox have 5 now and if Politte returns even to his 2004 level, they'll be fine. How many bullpens can you find better than the Sox' bullpen?

I agree the real problem is too many early exits by Sox starters. That's when the weakest part of the bullpen gets exposed.

caulfield12
06-26-2006, 11:28 AM
Looks at the Cardinals bullpen.

Most of the best teams in baseball have issues here, all we need is a return to form from EITHER Politte or Hermanson.

The odds of that are 50-50 at best, but ONE of them should work out. Crossing fingers.

Frater Perdurabo
06-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Looks at the Cardinals bullpen.

Most of the best teams in baseball have issues here, all we need is a return to form from EITHER Politte or Hermanson.

The odds of that are 50-50 at best, but ONE of them should work out. Crossing fingers.

Yep. And the Reds. And most other teams as well. In fact, the only teams with better middle relief seem to be those that aren't going anywhere, like the Cubs!

And if both Politte and Hermanson don't work out, KW will make a deal. He's already made one move to get Riske. If it takes one more, so be it.

AJTrenkle
06-26-2006, 01:53 PM
Plus if KW goes around saying how bad he wants a reliever it could put him in a weaker negotiating position.

It's not that bad. I'd rather see them work in a few good arms from the farm into the ML pen than waste valuable prospects on guys that might give you a slight upgrade.

TDog
06-26-2006, 03:10 PM
Pittsburgh and Seattle come to mind off the top of my head when thinking of teams willing to deal some relief pitching.

And NO i'm not talking about Guardado or Marte either.

If Seattle comes tom mind, it's because you haven't been paying attention to the Mariners recently. The Mariners are contending in the West.

DaleJRFan
06-26-2006, 03:42 PM

Why would Seattle be trading relievers? Why would they trade their badass new closer, JJ Putz or Rafael Soriano?? Neither of these guys are due to hit FA any time soon and neither has hit their ceiling.

Just because a team is bad doesn't mean they are going to trade away all of their good, young players.

JUribe1989
06-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Under the radar.

russ99
06-26-2006, 03:49 PM
Yep. This is totally an Under the Radar statement from Ken.

I have no doubts that Ken will try to get a reliever or two, and maybe a backup outfielder (CF?) for defensive sub purposes. I do think Anderson has the job the rest of this season, but next year all bets are off, if he can't produce.

BTW: I watched BP as soon as the gates opened on Friday, and Anderson is one of the nicest guys. He went out of his way to sign a few autographs for some kids. Props! :D:

Corlose 15
06-26-2006, 04:03 PM
If the Sox were to get 2 more bullpen arms, where would they put them? They've only got one "open" spot which is Politte/Montero. Hopefully Politte's struggles have been due to a sore shoulder and he can return to at least his 2004 form. If he does that then the Sox have a very good pen. I like what I've seen from Jenks, Cotts, Thornton, and Riske. IMO, "The Senator" still needs to be more consistent but I have confidence in him. The pen has done very well the last few weeks and have kind of calmed down many of my concerns about them.

Previous posters however have nailed the issue on the head. The starters need to start going 7 deep again. Thats one of my biggest issues against Vazquez, he hardly ever goes deep into games.

Lip Man 1
06-26-2006, 08:39 PM
Smoke and mirrors. You don't broadcast your intentions to the teams you are trying to beat. He's working the phones even as we speak. That's not me talking...that's from a source in the organization.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
06-27-2006, 12:18 PM
Smoke and mirrors. You don't broadcast your intentions to the teams you are trying to beat. He's working the phones even as we speak. That's not me talking...that's from a source in the organization.

LipI don't think he ever said he wasn't looking. He only said that teams' asking prices were awfully high for not much in return.