PDA

View Full Version : Astros-Tigers 3 Game Series Thread

JUribe1989
06-26-2006, 02:37 AM
I am starting a thread here to guarantee that the Astros take at least 2 out of 3 from the Tigers Monday through Wednesday. Rodriguez, Clemens, and Pettite will take care of the Tigers and the Astros bullpen will correct their mistakes and build on some strong performances post-Lidge after the game tonight.

Monday: (Magic) Wandy Rodriguez vs. Zach Miner
Tuesday: Roger Clemens vs. Nate Robertson
Wednesday: Andy Pettite vs. Justin Verlander

Astros are taking 2 out of 3 no problem.

Go 'Stros!

Nellie_Fox
06-26-2006, 03:15 AM
I am starting a thread here to guarantee that the Astros take at least 2 out of 3 from the Tigers Monday through Wednesday. Rodriguez, Clemens, and Pettite will take care of the Tigers and the Astros bullpen will correct their mistakes and build on some strong performances post-Lidge after the game tonight.

Monday: (Magic) Wandy Rodriguez vs. Zach Miner
Tuesday: Roger Clemens vs. Nate Robertson
Wednesday: Andy Pettite vs. Justin Verlander

Astros are taking 2 out of 3 no problem.

Go 'Stros!Tonight's game send a very tired Astros team with a depleted bullpen into Detroit. I don't expect much help from them.

MrRoboto83
06-26-2006, 03:35 AM
Tonight's game send a very tired Astros team with a depleted bullpen into Detroit. I don't expect much help from them.

I agree, I'm sure the Astros will get into Detroit at 4am or later and then have to face a red hot Tigers team at night with a tired Astros bullpen. I don't like the way it looks. But this is baseball anything can happen.

Rob190
06-26-2006, 03:37 AM
Even though I was more impressed with the Astros then the Reds or Cards, I am not sure they will be able to pull off winning 2 games.

QCIASOXFAN
06-26-2006, 03:45 AM
I agree, those starting pitchers are going to have to go out and be nails. Not to mention the whole bullpen thing and when you do get to the end are you gonna put Lidge in or what. When it rains it usually pours for that guy when it comes to blowing saves. I think the Tigers are going to be especially tuff knowing that they have to go out west next week.

The Immigrant
06-26-2006, 08:39 AM
I agree, those starting pitchers are going to have to go out and be nails. Not to mention the whole bullpen thing and when you do get to the end are you gonna put Lidge in or what. When it rains it usually pours for that guy when it comes to blowing saves. I think the Tigers are going to be especially tuff knowing that they have to go out west next week.

The Astros offense is impressive, and they have a decent pitching lineup going into this series (Rodriguez, Clemens & Petitte). Taking two out of three is not out of the question. I thought they were a lot tougher than the other NL teams we faced this year. Plus, Detroit has Miner going tonight.

Let's go Astros, let's go!

:)

bluestar
06-26-2006, 08:47 AM
The way the Tigers are playing right now, I would be happy if the Astros win a game in this series. Two would be incredible. Oswalt is the only Astros pitcher I think would have a chance to shut down Detroit's offense. Clemens is still very rusty, and Petitte really struggled against the Sox. Plus, the Astros have too many offensive holes to do much damage against more talented and balanced teams like the Tigers and Sox. Maybe if one of the Tigers' pitchers has a Vasquez-like mental lapse, the Astros can score some runs.

Madvora
06-26-2006, 09:04 AM
I don't usually put too much stock in the whole "tired team" thing. That's all we heard about before ALCS game 1 and we lost to the Angels. These guys are used to this kind of lifestyle, they do it for 6 months a year. I guarantee they aren't too tired to actually go out and play baseball for a couple of hours that night.
The only exception is the overused bullpen, which might be the case, but hey... anything can happen. Go Astros!

Jose.Contreras
06-26-2006, 09:18 AM
I don't count on any wins from houston. Don't worry though. Detroit will go through some rough patch at some point. REMEMBER, we had a better record than Detroit did at the exact same point last season. We had a 7 game lsoing streak in July/August. And then a 4-10 stretch in September. I'm not saying detroit will have a stretch that bad but you have to figure they can have a 3-7 strecth here and a 5-5 stretch there. Plus we play them 13 more times this year. I like our chances. I have calculated all of this and I have crunched the numbers. It turns out that we win the division by 7 games. Detroit still wins the wild card though. Relax:tongue:

spiffie
06-26-2006, 11:38 AM
:roflmao: :rolling: :roflmao:

The Astros used up their one good pitcher against us. Clemens is still an old pitcher trying to get into playing condition. Their pen got torched all series. Detroit is sitting there right now licking their chops to get this wounded animal of a team. I see no way Detroit doesn't sweep this series.

oeo
06-26-2006, 11:41 AM
Tonight's game send a very tired Astros team with a depleted bullpen into Detroit. I don't expect much help from them.
That team shows more fight than any team we've played all year. I think they can take the series, and to tell you the truth, I think they are going to be back in the World Series again this year.

jenn2080
06-26-2006, 11:49 AM
I wish the Astros all the best! GO STROS

Gremlin3
06-26-2006, 12:43 PM
Granted I am upset that the sox lost yesterday, but I'm hoping that the win last night gives the astros some momentum going into Detroit. If they can take 2 at least something positive comes out of all of it.

slobes
06-26-2006, 01:10 PM
Detroit keeps proving me wrong over and over again. I keep predicting them to lose a couple here and there, but they just seem to keep winning. I was hoping the Cards could manage at least one win against em, but that didn't work out too well either. I would be overjoyed if the Stros won 2 of these next 3 games.

Tiger23
06-26-2006, 04:53 PM
There was a 500+ post thread on the Astros-Sox game last night at motownsports.com. Glad to see that my Tigers are finally being taken somewhat seriously over here as well.

By the way, I made a huge mistake today and ordered tickets for the mid-July White Sox vs. Tigers series in Detroit. Let's just say won't be getting anything done for the next few weeks.

DickAllen72
06-26-2006, 05:29 PM

I agree. Plus the Tigers would probably sweep them anyway.

russ99
06-26-2006, 06:34 PM
Wandy Rodriguez has been pitching poorly lately, with a 4.82 ERA in his last 3 starts. Unless the Tigers dial it in and assume Houston is tired, this one goes to Detroit. He's pretty much keeping a spot for Backe.

Plus that Miner kid has been doing great for Detroit.

I'd give the Astros the Clemens game as a win (if the Astros get him some freakin runs!) and possibly the Pettite game too, but he's been a hard luck loser lately.

Ol' No. 2
06-26-2006, 06:55 PM
We're going to see what the Astros are made of. The Cardinals took a licking in Chicago and went into Detroit and just laid down. I don't expect the Astros to do the same - they're a lot tougher team. If they can take one from the White Sox I see no reason they can't do at least the same from the Tigers. In fact, the Astros were in all three games and could have won all three except for their stinko bullpen. A break here or there and they could even take two from the Tigers.

Tigerslover
06-26-2006, 07:19 PM
I wouldn't say the Cardinals laid down at all. They gave us a fight all 3 nights, in fact they led at one point in each of the 3 games.

whitesoxfan
06-26-2006, 07:56 PM
2-1 Detroit in the 3rd :angry:

zmz723
06-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Now 4-1

chisoxmike
06-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Unfortunately, I fully expect the Tigers to sweep the Astros and Pirates this week. If not the Astros, they will take 2 of 3, then sweep the Pirates.

goon
06-26-2006, 08:03 PM
5-1

whitesoxfan
06-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Unfortunately, I fully expect the Tigers to sweep the Astros and Pirates this week. If not the Astros, they will take 2 of 3, then sweep the Pirates.

Well we should be able to match that with the Pirates and Cubs on our plate this week.

MarySwiss
06-26-2006, 08:05 PM

How nice for them!

Seriously, Mike; I'd consider any victory by the pathetic NL Central teams over the Tiggies to be a gift. But sooner or later, they have to play us again.

JB98
06-26-2006, 08:05 PM
Don't worry. The Tigers are going to fade. They are not a legitimate playoff contender.

goon
06-26-2006, 08:07 PM
Don't worry. The Tigers are going to fade. They are not a legitimate playoff contender.

no teal needed.

QCIASOXFAN
06-26-2006, 08:08 PM
5-1 And the Astros wheels have fallen off, I wouldn't be surprised if the next gamebreak on ESPN showed them up 10-1.

Dick Allen
06-26-2006, 08:11 PM
I don't know about any of you, but the Tigers are really starting to annoy me.

JB98
06-26-2006, 08:12 PM
no teal needed.

You wish. Both the White Sox and the Tigers are rapidly reaching the point where all they will need is a .500 record after the All-Star break to qualify for the playoffs. A few weeks ago, people were claiming the Tigers would be the third-place team in our division, and that Cleveland was still our primary challenger. Not.

Both the Sox and Detroit are slam-dunk playoff teams, barring unforeseen injuries. These are the two best teams in baseball, and it's going to be a dogfight into September to see who the AL Central champion will be.

goon
06-26-2006, 08:24 PM
You wish. Both the White Sox and the Tigers are rapidly reaching the point where all they will need is a .500 record after the All-Star break to qualify for the playoffs. A few weeks ago, people were claiming the Tigers would be the third-place team in our division, and that Cleveland was still our primary challenger. Not.

Both the Sox and Detroit are slam-dunk playoff teams, barring unforeseen injuries. These are the two best teams in baseball, and it's going to be a dogfight into September to see who the AL Central champion will be.

i agree, the white sox and detroit are CLEARLY the best teams in baseball right now, however, before we start writing the sox and tigers into the playoffs, it is important to recognize that there is another half of baseball left. while i believe the sox will be in the playoffs come this fall, (because i am a sox fan and because i am a realist that understands just how good this sox team is) despite the awesome, completely awesome start detroit has had, they still have much to prove.

1. being able to continue with their dominant pitching
2. their clutch hitting needs to stay there
3. one of the biggest humps they need to get over is actually beating elite teams (from the AL). they've gotten their asses handed to them by boston, new york and the sox. now you could go ahead and say, "well the white sox haven't faced boston or new york,"... however, we are the world champions and played well against those teams last season and our ball club has improved over last year.

i'm not taking away anything from detroit, i like their team, and they deserve everything they have earned this year, but still.... to start talking about the playoffs right now is a bit premature. though i would like to add that i think that detroit's torrid pace is helping keep the white sox focused. so i wish them luck.

QCIASOXFAN
06-26-2006, 08:27 PM
I don't know about any of you, but the Tigers are really starting to annoy me. Your preaching to the choir buddy :smile:

FloridaTigers
06-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Talking about playoffs this early is insane. Anything can happen to both teams. Heck, The Indians might wake up and make a run. You never know.

FarWestChicago
06-26-2006, 08:29 PM
We're going to see what the Astros are made of. The Cardinals took a licking in Chicago and went into Detroit and just laid down. I don't expect the Astros to do the same - they're a lot tougher team.The 'Stros will get thrashed. They've got nothing. They only beat the Sox because they didn't want to lose 7 in a row. And they still almost blew it. Easy Tigers sweep. They have no revenge motivation against the Kitties.

DickAllen72
06-26-2006, 08:30 PM
6-1 now in the 5th.

Sox will be 2 games back after tonight. The Sox better sweep the Pirates and Cubs, but sometimes they seem flat against the weakest teams.

DickAllen72
06-26-2006, 08:32 PM
Talking about playoffs this early is insane. Anything can happen to both teams. Heck, The Indians might wake up and make a run. You never know.
I wouldn't count out the Twins yet either.

JB98
06-26-2006, 08:33 PM
i agree, the white sox and detroit are CLEARLY the best teams in baseball right now, however, before we start writing the sox and tigers into the playoffs, it is important to recognize that there is another half of baseball left. while i believe the sox will be in the playoffs come this fall, (because i am a sox fan and because i am a realist that understands just how good this sox team is) despite the awesome, completely awesome start detroit has had, they still have much to prove.

3. one of the biggest humps they need to get over is actually beating elite teams (from the AL). they've gotten their asses handed to them by boston, new york and the sox. now you could go ahead and say, "well the white sox haven't faced boston or new york,"... however, we are the world champions and played well against those teams last season and our ball club has improved over last year.

i'm not taking away anything from detroit, i like their team, and they deserve everything they have earned this year, but still.... to start talking about the playoffs right now is a bit premature. though i would like to add that i think that detroit's torrid pace is helping keep the white sox focused. so i wish them luck.

If the Tigers win half their games the rest of the year, they'll finish 95-67. Like I said, barring unforeseen injuries, the Sox and Tigers will be playing in October. These pitching staffs are too deep. Neither club is going to collapse. Each team will only have to play slightly above .500 after the break in order to qualify for the postseason. My guess is both will continue to play well above .500 baseball. Does Detroit have more to prove than the Sox? Of course. I don't think they can beat the Sox in a playoff series. The Sox have a HUGE advantage in the experience they gained last year. But the fools who said the Tigers would be third in the AL Central are looking more and more wrong every day.

chisoxmike
06-26-2006, 08:34 PM
6-1 now in the 5th.

Sox will be 2 games back after tonight. The Sox better sweep the Pirates and Cubs, but sometimes they seem flat against the weakest teams.

The Sox, at the very least should go 4-2, anything less than that is unacceptable.

JB98
06-26-2006, 08:36 PM
The Sox, at the very least should go 4-2, anything less than that is unacceptable.

They'll probably lose to Zambozo next weekend, just to spite me. I ****ing HATE Zambozo. I'm hoping for 5-1, but thinking 4-2.

DickAllen72
06-26-2006, 08:43 PM

Well if they lose any ground to Detroit after playing the Pirates and the Cubs, they'll only have themselves to blame and they may have a very tough time closing the gap with the Tigers the rest of the way.

You have to beat the bad teams and the Sox better sweep the next two series because I don't think Detroit is going to lose too many games this week.

Tiger23
06-26-2006, 08:54 PM

Couple of rebuttals:

As for 1 and 2, when exactly do you expect this to happen? I bet you expected it when I did, a few weeks into the season. We're almost to the half way point, and not only has our pitching stayed lights out, but our lineup has improved immensely recently, especially in dealing with clutch hitting. I'm at least glad to see a White Sox fan say it "needs to stay," as opposed to "will not stay."

Also, the White Sox played under .500 against those good teams in the regular season last year before the playoffs. If my memory is not mistaken, it was a ways under as well. As you all know, the White Sox won the World Series.

JB98
06-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Couple of rebuttals:

As for 1 and 2, when exactly do you expect this to happen? I bet you expected it when I did, a few weeks into the season. We're almost to the half way point, and not only has our pitching stayed lights out, but our lineup has improved immensely recently, especially in dealing with clutch hitting. I'm at least glad to see a White Sox fan say it "needs to stay," as opposed to "will not stay."

Also, the White Sox played under .500 against those good teams in the regular season last year before the playoffs. If my memory is not mistaken, it was a ways under as well. As you all know, the White Sox won the World Series.

It was not "a ways under" by any means.

Sox vs. Cleveland: 13-5
Sox vs. Yankees: 3-3
Sox vs. Boston: 3-4
Sox vs. Anaheim: 4-6

ilsox7
06-26-2006, 09:08 PM
Couple of rebuttals:

I've got August in the "pitching falling off" pool. I base it on career norms and lack of professional innings. The cool thing is, we'll actually get to see what happens, not just debate it forever.

Hitmen77
06-26-2006, 09:14 PM
You guys may as well stop worrying about the Tigers until Interleague is over. At this point, it's up to the Sox to just keep winning to keep pace with the rest of the AL - who will be beating up the NL again this week.

Normal major league games resume on July 3.

ozziesox13
06-26-2006, 09:16 PM
I hope you are right about the Stros taking care of the Tigers, but they are down 6-3 right now, and Berkman for some reason just got kicked out of the game.

I was at that game last night. Absolutely unbelievable. Sure, the Sox lost, but you've gotta love how this team never quits.

MarySwiss
06-26-2006, 09:18 PM
I've got August in the "pitching falling off" pool. I base it on career norms and lack of professional innings. The cool thing is, we'll actually get to see what happens, not just debate it forever.

And when we do, it'll be interesting to see how many of these Tiger-fans- come-lately are still around.

I don't know if it was in this thread or another--and BTW, why the hell is there more than one Tigers thread in Talking Baseball?--in which a Tiggie groupie took exception to a statement that WSIers usually take the high road. I made that statement, and the proof is that you kitkat fans are still here. And that you have not been subjected to profane nicknames or other over-the-top abuse.

ozziesox13
06-26-2006, 09:24 PM
I will agree that the Tigers have much to prove. And what is it they have to prove? Well, for one thing, they have to prove they can beat elite teams, namely, the White Sox, the Red Sox, and the Yankees. They have a losing record against all of them and a 1-5 record against the White Sox. I believe if it stays close like this all season, it will ultimately come down to who wins the season series between these two teams. Fortunately for the White Sox so far, they have owned Detroit. If they continue to do so, they will win this division.

Tiger23
06-26-2006, 09:28 PM

That is gonna be sweet, with no teal.

Ol' No. 2
06-26-2006, 09:28 PM
The 'Stros will get thrashed. They've got nothing. They only beat the Sox because they didn't want to lose 7 in a row. And they still almost blew it. Easy Tigers sweep. They have no revenge motivation against the Kitties.Petitte was the only Astros starter to take a loss. If not for their stinko bullpen, the 'Stros could have cruised into winning 2 of 3. But they've shown they can put up runs against good pitching, and if they can catch a break or two, they could take at least one and maybe two.

MarySwiss
06-26-2006, 09:29 PM
That is gonna be sweet, with no teal.

First thing you've said that I can wholeheartedly agree with!

Tiger23
06-26-2006, 09:37 PM
And when we do, it'll be interesting to see how many of these Tiger-fans- come-lately are still around.

I don't know if it was in this thread or another--and BTW, why the hell is there more than one Tigers thread in Talking Baseball?--in which a Tiggie groupie took exception to a statement that WSIers usually take the high road. I made that statement, and the proof is that you kitkat fans are still here. And that you have not been subjected to profane nicknames or other over-the-top abuse.

I actually made that statement. I assumed when you said taking the high road you meant that in reference to Tiger fans calling the Sox "sux" on another site. After your post, the next five posters came up with their own nicknames, and one asked if Tiger fans were so chipper during their 2003 season, which obviously we weren't.

I didn't know you meant you guys had restrained from a far worse type of abuse as you mentioned, which all have abstained from to this point.

PeteWard
06-26-2006, 09:46 PM
Well if they lose any ground to Detroit after playing the Pirates and the Cubs, they'll only have themselves to blame and they may have a very tough time closing the gap with the Tigers the rest of the way.

You have to beat the bad teams and the Sox better sweep the next two series because I don't think Detroit is going to lose too many games this week.

They play the Tigers 12 more times! That's how they'll close the gap.

MarySwiss
06-26-2006, 09:50 PM
I actually made that statement. I assumed when you said taking the high road you meant that in reference to Tiger fans calling the Sox "sux" on another site. After your post, the next five posters came up with their own nicknames, and one asked if Tiger fans were so chipper during their 2003 season, which obviously we weren't.

I didn't know you meant you guys had restrained from a far worse type of abuse as you mentioned, which all have abstained from to this point.

And all will. Except for occasional trolls, and the mods are adept at busting their sorry asses.

However, the Sox fan in question actually asked if Tiger fans were so "chirpy," not "chipper." Suggestion: you can be as chipper as you like, but you would be advised to keep the chirpiness under control. As you have, thus far. As has been said, many times, many ways, this is, after all, a White Sox Web site.

Tiger23
06-26-2006, 09:57 PM
Chirpy does make that sentence much different than chipper doesn't it?

Thanks for the nice response, seriously.

MarySwiss
06-26-2006, 09:58 PM
Chirpy does make that sentence much different than chipper doesn't it?

Thanks for the nice response, seriously.
You're welcome, seriously. :smile:

Law11
06-26-2006, 09:59 PM
Just turned on the game.. Yet another solid performance by the NL central

kittle42
06-26-2006, 10:01 PM
I still find it odd that Sox fans this season continue to give the Tigers the same reception that MLB fans/pundits/etc. gave to our Sox last year when they were off to the same start.

dickallen15
06-26-2006, 10:03 PM
I still find it odd that Sox fans this season continue to give the Tigers the same reception that MLB fans/pundits/etc. gave to our Sox last year when they were off to the same start.

Strange isn't it?

goon
06-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Couple of rebuttals:

okay tiger fan, there is a pretty big difference between playing under .500 and just flat out losing...

vs. NY: 1-4
vs. Boston: 1-2
vs. White Sox: 1-5

this means that tigers are going to have to go into yankee stadium and fenway and win most of their games to get close to what the white sox did last year. yes i know they have a great road record, no need to point that out.

and how will there pitching fall off? well, seeing that you are relying a rookie in verlander, a 50 year old pitcher in Kenny Rogers and jeremy bonderman as 3/5 of your staff. they have all been pitching great, but i doubt they will be able to keep pitching the way they have been unless you believe they will all win 20 games... and with maroth on the DL, you're asking a lot out of that pitching staff. what can and probably will help that staff is the fact that the tigers bullpen has been nothing short of lights out, yet the chances that the tigers rotation will stay on fire as they have been is certainly doubtful.

i understand the tigers need to go only .500 in the second half of the season to win 95, which would probably get them into the playoffs. well, they still have to do it, as do the white sox. all things aside, i still believe the white sox are the better team and the team comprised with elements to continue winning through july, august and september and probably have the best chances to go deep into the playoffs. though i do hope the tigers can keep playing well, i'd like to see two representatives from the AL Central in the playoffs this year.

Jose.Contreras
06-26-2006, 10:12 PM

I agree 100%. In fact I have thought the same thing since April. Many of us treat the Tigers of 2006 the EXACT same way MLB fans and outsiders treated us last season. If we could come from nowhere and win the World Series on 2005 why the heck can't the Tigers do the same thing? All I am saying is to give them the respect they deserve. Otherwise we look like hypocrites.

With that said, I hope the Tigers go on a 10 game losing streak starting with a 7 run implosion in the 9th inning NOW!

Seriously, they're gonna hang with us for awhile, folks. Get used to it. Head to head matchups the rest of the way will determine whether we are AL wildcard reps or if we have homefield through the ALCS.

FloridaTigers
06-26-2006, 10:16 PM
I think the Tigers weren't just ready. I think they'll improve a bit against teams like the Yanks and Soxes. 1-5 or 1-3 won't cut it if we want to even talk playoffs.

goon
06-26-2006, 10:23 PM
Seriously, they're gonna hang with us for awhile, folks. Get used to it. Head to head matchups the rest of the way will determine whether we are AL wildcard reps or if we have homefield through the ALCS.

yeah, i hope they do honestly, they are a good hard-working club, however, i don't think it's unfair to raise questions about whether or not they can keep it up. fans, writers and analysts questioned the sox all last year, though i believe it was vaild, they just didn't think we had the offense to go deep into the playoffs and to be honest, we did lose a good amount of games last year from lack of offensive production. what held the 2005 white sox together last year was the fact that our starters just ate innings and our bullpen, when called upon, shut down the opponent nearly everytime.

detroit has a dominant bullpen, but their rotation just seems like it could fall apart pretty quickly, unlike the white sox staff last season.

.... of course it hasn't yet.

Blueprint1
06-26-2006, 10:28 PM
Well its is annoying that you Tigers keep saying that you are the 2005 White sox. You are not the 2005 White sox. We had a ten game lead at this time. Your lead is two games. One in the loss column.

kittle42
06-26-2006, 10:41 PM
Well its is annoying that you Tigers keep saying that you are the 2005 White sox. You are not the 2005 White sox. We had a ten game lead at this time. Your lead is two games. One in the loss column.

Their records are virtually identical. That makes them pretty similar.

Of course, the Tigers' lead could be substantially larger if they had a better record against a certain second-place team. :wink:

tigersfan25
06-27-2006, 01:13 AM
I fail to see how this is relevant to the discussion. I think that last years Sox team is better than this years Tigers team, but I hardly believe that the fact that last years Sox were 10 games ahead is a viable argument against this years Tigers.

The Tigers can't help the fact that the Sox are playing so well, just like last years Sox couldn't help that the Twins fell off of their pace.

itsnotrequired
06-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Damn, Clemens into the 7th with only 85 pitches? Very un-Clemens...and now he's out.

MarkZ35
06-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Unbelievable ... Tigers take 3-0 lead in the 7th

itsnotrequired
06-27-2006, 09:42 PM
...and Gomez hits a solo shot. 4-0, Tigers.

:(:

itsnotrequired
06-27-2006, 09:53 PM
Tigers win.

The NL Central still sucks.

Grzegorz
06-27-2006, 10:11 PM
As long as the White Sox take care of business there is nothing to worry about. Just remember that the road to the title goes through Chicago!

(Psst, quietly going about their business are the Twinks.)

QCIASOXFAN
06-27-2006, 10:39 PM
Looks like the Tigers can bring their brooms to the ballpark tomorrow! The Astros are officially awful right now. I would like to say that they wont make the playoffs but the N.L. sucks soooo bad. I have no idea who else the wildcard could be or who would win the division if the Cardinals keep stinking the place up. But they got better in the second half of last year so who knows.

DickAllen72
06-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Looks like the Tigers can bring their brooms to the ballpark tomorrow! The Astros are officially awful right now.

Too bad Vazquez couldn't limit the Astros to 8 runs Sunday night. Then the Sox would have swept them too.

A.T. Money
06-27-2006, 10:59 PM
Maybe winning the wildcard isn't such a bad thing. We can clinch those playoff series at home!:bandance:

ozziesox13
06-27-2006, 11:03 PM
As much as I hate to say this, the Tigers are most likely not going to lose to any National League Central team. The White Sox are going to have to take care of the Tigers themselves. But... maybe the A's, Red Sox and Yanks can help us out a bit. We simply have to win every night because the Tigers win every night.

Tragg
06-27-2006, 11:10 PM
The Tigers are just incredibly hot....yeah, if they keep playing this way, you'd expect them to do better against the Yanks, Sox and Boston.

And that call of a ball tonight which put 2 on instead of a double play strikeout/throwout was atrocious. It was right down the middle.

kittle42
06-27-2006, 11:20 PM
Over half the season is left. Screw every game that doesn't involve the White Sox.

slobes
06-27-2006, 11:35 PM
Over half the season is left. Screw every game that doesn't involve the White Sox.

Agreed. All we can do is keep winning. The Tigers have gotta come back down to earth eventually.

SOX ADDICT '73
06-27-2006, 11:36 PM
I fail to see how this is relevant to the discussion. I think that last years Sox team is better than this years Tigers team, but I hardly believe that the fact that last years Sox were 10 games ahead is a viable argument against this years Tigers.

The Tigers can't help the fact that the Sox are playing so well, just like last years Sox couldn't help that the Twins fell off of their pace.
Like the 2005 White Sox, the Tigers have been getting very little respect from the media, and have been accused of "playing over their heads" and told that "they'll eventually come back to earth". Well, we never did, and Detroit may not either.

I have a lot of respect for what the Tigers are doing, and to be honest, I'd rather see them win the division than Cleveland or Minnesota (the Sox would be my first choice, of course). I dislike only a handful of current Tigers' players (Magg$ especially :angry: ), but I despise the Toons' and Twinks' entire rosters. Plus, I can appreciate how Jim Leyland has taken a talented but previously underachieving team and shown it how to win (sounds familiar, no?).

Don't know if anyone else has pointed this out but:

2004 Central Division Champ: Minnesota Twins
Clinched at: Chicago White Sox home field

2005 Central Division Champ: White Sox
Clinched at: Detroit Tigers home field

2006 Central Division Leader (currently): Tigers

I remember Ozzie saying in 2004 that he was glad his players had to watch the Twins celebrating on their turf, because it would make them hungrier the next year. Seems as though it worked! If trends continue, and Detroit does take the Central this season, let's hope they do it at U.S. Cellular Field, so we can be guaranteed to win in 2007!

fuzzy_patters
06-28-2006, 02:33 AM
Like the 2005 White Sox, the Tigers have been getting very little respect from the media, and have been accused of "playing over their heads" and told that "they'll eventually come back to earth". Well, we never did, and Detroit may not either.

You are missing a key point. The 2005 White Sox clobbered the teams in their own division. Even when Cleveland got close, they did not have a chance because they could not beat the White Sox head-to-head. The 2006 Tigers are a lot more like the 2005 Indians than the 2005 White Sox. They too have not been able to beat their chief competitor. Detroit is 1-6 against the White Sox.

jenn2080
06-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Screw the Stros!

Thome25
06-28-2006, 10:38 AM
Agreed. All we can do is keep winning. The Tigers have gotta come back down to earth eventually.

I hope the Tigers do come back down to earth here soon. But, everyone kept saying that about us last year, and we all know how that went.

Hitmen77
06-28-2006, 10:42 AM
As long as the White Sox take care of business there is nothing to worry about. Just remember that the road to the title goes through Chicago!

I agree. Imagine how Tiger fans must feel. Their team has been firing on all cylinders and playing excellent baseball - and the Sox are still right on their heals.

This is a Sox team that has
- 2 starting players below the Mendoza line for most of the season
- starting pitching inconsistencies (Contreras lost 2 starts to the DL, Garland and Vazquez prone to meltdowns, Garcia struggling at times) and all 5 starters not racking up innings at their usual pace.
- uncharactistically shakey defense that has given away a few games.
- bullpen woes.

...and yet we're only one back in the loss column.

I really think the White Sox will be even better the rest of the season.
- Uribe and Anderson are coming around. The rest of the hitters are mostly within their norms (i.e.; no one is hitting .380 or anything like that)
- Having Anderson secure the CF job will really solidify the defense, which in turn will help our pitching
- the bullpen, after looking scary for a while, is solidifying with Jenks, Cotts, B-Mac, Thornton, and Riske. Maybe we need one more addition if Politte can't rebound.

I think one of the keys for the Sox in the 2nd half will be the ability of former all-stars Garland and Vazquez to finally show some consistency and limit the meltdowns.

Even if the Tigers keep playing the way they have been, the only team that can keep the Sox out of the postseason is the White Sox.

tigersfan25
06-28-2006, 12:29 PM
You are missing a key point. The 2005 White Sox clobbered the teams in their own division. Even when Cleveland got close, they did not have a chance because they could not beat the White Sox head-to-head. The 2006 Tigers are a lot more like the 2005 Indians than the 2005 White Sox. They too have not been able to beat their chief competitor. Detroit is 1-6 against the White Sox.
Outside of the Sox, the Tigers HAVE clobbered their own division. 22-5.

And I believe the Tigers are 1-5 against the Sox.

I understand that the Tigers will need to beat the Sox down the stretch, but even with their record against the Sox, it is pretty safe to say that they are clobbering teams in their own division.

MadetoOrta
06-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Baseball is a marathon.

'83 Sox Down 3.5 games to Angels at All-Star break won division by 20 games

'77 Sox Opened up a 6.5 game lead on the KC Royals in LATE JULY only to lose the division by 15 games

'05 Sox 15 game lead in August to 1.5 in late September

We have Burls, Garland, Javy, Freddie and the Titan of Bronze with Mac waiting in the wings. As Coach Ditka once said "We like our people." I would advise MLB not to start printing playoff tickets and advise all Sox and Tigers fans to be wary of the team from the Twin Cities.

munchman33
06-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Outside of the Sox, the Tigers HAVE clobbered their own division. 22-5.

And I believe the Tigers are 1-5 against the Sox.

I understand that the Tigers will need to beat the Sox down the stretch, but even with their record against the Sox, it is pretty safe to say that they are clobbering teams in their own division.

You missed the point. Cleveland clobbered the division rivals last year too; except us. And it lost them the division. The race has been really close. Its obvious that, barring significant injury, it will come down to head to head matchups. And based on they way we play the Tigers, I expect the sox to win the division by at least ten games.

fuzzy_patters
06-28-2006, 01:40 PM
You missed the point. Cleveland clobbered the division rivals last year too; except us. And it lost them the division. The race has been really close. Its obvious that, barring significant injury, it will come down to head to head matchups. And based on they way we play the Tigers, I expect the sox to win the division by at least ten games.

That was exactly the point. You can even point to the 2001-2004 White Sox as another case in point. They beat up on all of their AL Central rivals with the exception of the Twins. On the other hand, the Twins beat up on all of their division rivals without exception. In the end, the Twins were the team playing in October.

PeteWard
06-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Meanwhile Houston still can't score a damn run:0-0 bottom of the 4th

oeo
06-28-2006, 01:55 PM
That was exactly the point. You can even point to the 2001-2004 White Sox as another case in point. They beat up on all of their AL Central rivals with the exception of the Twins. On the other hand, the Twins beat up on all of their division rivals without exception. In the end, the Twins were the team playing in October.

No, I seem to remember the Sox having trouble with the terrible 2003 Tigers, and if they would have beat up on them like every other team did, they could have gone to the postseason. I still think that team could have done some damage too.

shaunburnette
06-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Not sure of any details but Ordonez just left the game with a leg injury.

JUribe1989
06-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Magglio just left the game limping :D:

I don't care if that jerk gets hurt after everything he said about the organization.

SBSoxFan
06-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Meanwhile Houston still can't score a damn run:0-0 bottom of the 4th

Has Houston ever put down a sac bunt? :rolleyes:

JUribe1989
06-28-2006, 02:04 PM
And the Tigers get their first run on an Eric Bruntlett error.

oeo
06-28-2006, 02:04 PM
How long can the Tigers just keep scoring runs on their opponent's mistakes? Three runs yesterday on errors, already another one today.

sox102
06-28-2006, 02:11 PM
Got out of that self-created bases loaded jam! Way to go Pettitte! ONly 1-0. Now go get some runs Astros!

SBSoxFan
06-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Got out of that self-created bases loaded jam! Way to go Pettitte! ONly 1-0. Now go get some runs Astros!

:?: The run scored on a 2-out error. Should have been out of the inning.

The Immigrant
06-28-2006, 02:23 PM
:?: The run scored on a 2-out error. Should have been out of the inning.

There are errors that are close calls, and then there is Bartlett's play. He should have done 50 push-ups on the field after that play. Horrible.

Brad Ausmus, by the way, is 0 for his last 26. Yep, keep playing him Phil Garner - he'll bust out of it any day now!

sox102
06-28-2006, 02:24 PM
Exactly, they should have gotten out of the inning. Oh well, just have to find a way to score some runs. Even though the NL Central sucks against the more powerful AL Central!

The Immigrant
06-28-2006, 02:27 PM
With that 3 pitch strikeout, Brad Ausmus is now 0 for his last 27. :o:

"pounds head against desk"

cleanwsox
06-28-2006, 02:29 PM
We basically have to root for a Lance Berkman homer for this game to be tied. The Astros offense is horrendous.

nebraskasox
06-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Verlander is sure mowing them down. Anyone else get the feeling the Astros will be lucky to get a run today?

Realist
06-28-2006, 02:33 PM
If we end up facing the Tigers in the ALCS, our inside man for that series, like Graffanino and Josh Paul were for us last October, is Granderson. He went to my high school, T.F. South, and he's a Sox fan. :wink:

We're a lock. :smile:

Tigerslover
06-28-2006, 02:37 PM
Another error for Houston. Had a double play ball in their grasp, but couldn't get anyone.

And that error which would have ended the inning, has led to two runs now. 3-0.

cleanwsox
06-28-2006, 02:45 PM
Magglio out with a left shin contusion.

The Immigrant
06-28-2006, 02:47 PM
Magglio out with a left shin contusion.

So he has a bruise on his shin? Quick, someone book him a flight to Austria!

oeo
06-28-2006, 02:51 PM
Another error for Houston. Had a double play ball in their grasp, but couldn't get anyone.

And that error which would have ended the inning, has led to two runs now. 3-0.

And people say all the Sox do is catch breaks. :rolleyes:

MarySwiss
06-28-2006, 02:51 PM
Not sure of any details but Ordonez just left the game with a leg injury.

Magglio getting hurt? Gee, that's sure unexpected, isn't it?

Tigerslover
06-28-2006, 02:52 PM
And people say all the Sox do is catch breaks. :rolleyes:

I'd say right now we're both getting our share of them.

nebraskasox
06-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Good teams playing tight baseball will catch breaks when the other team cracks.

SBSoxFan
06-28-2006, 02:59 PM
Last year, it seemed the Sox took advantage of every mistake a team made. But Houston certainly didn't play this poorly in the world series. Have the Tigers even scored an earned run the last 2 games? :angry:

In other news, Liriano is now 8-1, and Santana is throwing a 1-hit shutout against the Dodgers through 6. I know there's a long way to go, but maybe the AL playoff teams should just be the Sox, Tigers, Twins, and whoever has the best record between the AL East and West.

And they should just make the ALCS the world series. People actually think the Mets can compete with any of these teams? :rolleyes:

Jaffar
06-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Pettite just walked in a run....4-0 tiggers.

Frankfan4life
06-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Magglio just left the game limping :D:

I don't care if that jerk gets hurt after everything he said about the organization.I know we want to beat these guys but let's not rejoice when other teams have injuries to key players. That can happen to anyone, including the Sox.

oeo
06-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Good teams playing tight baseball will catch breaks when the other team cracks.

But score all your runs off of them? That's risky business; when the breaks start going to your opposition, you're in trouble.

cleanwsox
06-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Lidge in for mop up duty.

JUribe1989
06-28-2006, 03:07 PM
I know we want to beat these guys but let's not rejoice when other teams have injuries to key players. That can happen to anyone, including the Sox.

If the guy wasn't such an ass I wouldn't be rejoicing, but I absolutely hate Magglio.

Jaffar
06-28-2006, 03:08 PM
Wild pitch by lidge gives the tiggers a 5-0 lead....seriously?

nebraskasox
06-28-2006, 03:08 PM
But score all your runs off of them? That's risky business; when the breaks start going to your opposition, you're in trouble.

Meanwhile Tigers score another run on a Lidge wild pitch.

Flight #24
06-28-2006, 03:11 PM
So if I udnerstand this game correctly, there are 3 unearned runs, and the 2 ER are 1)A bases loaded walk, and 2)A bases loaded WP.:cower:

Frankfan4life
06-28-2006, 03:18 PM
If the guy wasn't such an ass I wouldn't be rejoicing, but I absolutely hate Magglio.I understand where you're coming from, nevertheless, I don't want any bad Karma around here. I hope Maggs' injury isn't serious.

CLR01
06-28-2006, 03:20 PM
I hope the Tigers do come back down to earth here soon. But, everyone kept saying that about us last year, and we all know how that went.

The Sox did fall back to earth last year. The difference is the huge lead on the rest of the division and a red hot Indians team that couldn't beat the Sox when it counted. This year the Tigers lead is 2 to a team they can't beat.

Hitmen77
06-28-2006, 03:26 PM

Our collective break right now is called playing the National League.

At this moment, Detroit, Baltimore, and Minnesota are collectively beating Houston, Philly, and LA by a combined score of 18-0.

Frankfan4life
06-28-2006, 03:28 PM
The Tigers have a very good team, no doubt about it. What they're doing now reminds me of the Sox last year, except we didn't have another team within a few games of us until near the end of the season. I just hope we continue to stay close and see what happens in September.

JohnBasedowYoda
06-28-2006, 03:28 PM
The tigers are filthy sick nasty

JUribe1989
06-28-2006, 03:30 PM
How the hell are they so good? We always beat them. (5-1)

cleanwsox
06-28-2006, 03:34 PM
How the hell are they so good? We always beat them. (5-1)

And of the 36 earned runs Verlander has given up this year, 11 of them have come against the White Sox. I can't wait to take care of these guys ourselves since nobody else can seem to do it.

whitesoxfan
06-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Thanks for nothing Houston.

DaleJRFan
06-28-2006, 03:43 PM
They win when their opposition walks in runs and makes 3 run-causing errors.

Houston scored ZERO runs in two games. How many of those four runs today were earned? 2? Gimme a break.

I have said it before and I will say it again: Tigers = Fluke.

I can't wait 'til the next Sox/Tigers series so we can show those dopes what playing a legit ballclub is all about.

Frankfan4life
06-28-2006, 03:44 PM
Thanks for nothing Houston.What a paradox! We want the NL teams to be bad when they play us and good when they play the Tigers and Twins. :smile:

Tigerslover
06-28-2006, 03:55 PM

I disagree. You don't go 54-25 to start a season by being a fluke.

Tiger23
06-28-2006, 04:20 PM
Early in the season, my Tigers beat the Twins 30+ to 1 over a three game series. Think they could do it again right now? Yeah me neither. You guys got the sweep in that first series before our team knew they were good. Not to say you won't continue to beat us up, I just wouldnt' bet the farm on it.

kobo
06-28-2006, 04:20 PM

Yeah, that record they have sure is a fluke. Until they start losing or thier pitching goes south or the offense struggles, they are the real deal.

BNLSox
06-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Man do the 'Stros suck.... that and the Tigers are really damn good.

MarySwiss
06-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Early in the season, my Tigers beat the Twins 30+ to 1 over a three game series. Think they could do it again right now? Yeah me neither. You guys got the sweep in that first series before our team knew they were good. Not to say you won't continue to beat us up, I just wouldnt' bet the farm on it.

Well, I don't have a farm, but I already bet on it. Last November. And I still say Sox/Jays in the ALCS and Sox/whoever in the WS. (Guess who wins?)

kobo
06-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Maybe once they start playing AL teams again things might even out, but I still think they are going to be around for a while. August will be huge for both the Tigers and Sox, I think that month is going to really determine how the rest of the season goes.

oeo
06-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Why do you keep saying that? They got the sweep in the first series, before they knew they were good? What kind of lame excuse is that?

So, how do you explain winning only 1/3 in the last series, and would have been swept if it wasn't for a Garland implosion?

I'm sorry, but Tigers pitching has been as near to perfect as you can get, both the rotation and the bullpen.
-Rogers will fall down in the second half
-You never know what you're going to get from Bonderman- good one start, terrible the next
-Robertson has been great, but he's also never pitched this well in his career- will it last?
-How is Verlander going to pitch down the stretch...he's never thrown as many innings as he's on pace to.
-As for Miner, I'm yet to see him pitch. I've got a feeling his scouting report will catch up to him, though. If Maroth returns, will he pitch like he did before his injury?

I'm taking my Sox in the second half, because they've proven that they can play down the stretch. Not only that, but if you look at our rotation, the only guy that has shown any consistency is Contreras. I have to think that Garland (even if not 2005 Garland) is better than he's pitched, Garcia is better than that, Buehrle is back to himself lately, and Vazquez- ??? I have no idea to tell you the truth. I'm hoping he can start to put up some consistent numbers, but I KNOW that the rest of the staff can.

Tigers have been near perfect all year, good for them. Near perfect is hard to continue, and with a Sox team that can do a lot of damage right behind them, the Tigers are in trouble.

Tigerslover
06-28-2006, 04:35 PM
We may have taken only 1 of 3, but we played you tighter then we did the first 3 times.

oeo
06-28-2006, 04:36 PM
We may have taken only 1 of 3, but we played you tighter then we did the first 3 times.

The scores were 5-3, 4-3, and 13-9 in the first series...

SOecks
06-28-2006, 04:38 PM
Maybe once they start playing AL teams again things might even out, but I still think they are going to be around for a while. August will be huge for both the Tigers and Sox, I think that month is going to really determine how the rest of the season goes.

That's what everybody said about us last year though. Remember, we didn't deserve any respect until we played the Yankees and Red Sox? Then when we did, we still didn't get any respect. They're beating the pants out of everyone on their schedule and have a great team right now. I still think the Sox will edge ahead of them barring injury on either side but they are legit. I'm glad they're doing so well too right now. It's about time the AL Central got some respect as a powerhouse.

oeo
06-28-2006, 04:42 PM
That's what everybody said about us last year though. Remember, we didn't deserve any respect until we played the Yankees and Red Sox? Then when we did, we still didn't get any respect. They're beating the pants out of everyone on their schedule and have a great team right now. I still think the Sox will edge ahead of them barring injury on either side but they are legit. I'm glad they're doing so well too right now. It's about time the AL Central got some respect as a powerhouse.

The Tigers are getting more respect from the national media than we ever did last year. The Tigers are "the real deal" this year, but the Sox were on their way to the biggest collapse ever. The Tigers get plenty of respect, and they haven't proven anything. Remember how we had to prove something last year, and still, the Indians were predicted to take the division.

SOecks
06-28-2006, 04:49 PM
The Tigers are getting more respect from the national media than we ever did last year. The Tigers are "the real deal" this year, but the Sox were on their way to the biggest collapse ever. The Tigers get plenty of respect, and they haven't proven anything. Remember how we had to prove something last year, and still, the Indians were predicted to take the division.

You are 100% correct, but that's no reason to hold that against the Tigers or their fans this season right? The media apparently likes the story of the Tigers more. Hell, the Twins have been getting way more pub and they're just a few games over .500 now. They're all talking about the Twins/Tigers streaks when the Sox have been doing the exact same thing. Par for the course with the crap media. I'm just not going to punish Tiger fans because it's not their fault.

MarySwiss
06-28-2006, 04:59 PM
You are 100% correct, but that's no reason to hold that against the Tigers or their fans this season right? The media apparently likes the story of the Tigers more. Hell, the Twins have been getting way more pub and they're just a few games over .500 now. They're all talking about the Twins/Tigers streaks when the Sox have been doing the exact same thing. Par for the course with the crap media. I'm just not going to punish Tiger fans because it's not their fault.

Well, that's true enough. All the teams in the AL Central have to deal with the huge load of **** that comes from the AL East-obsessed media.

But I really do believe the attention the Tigers are getting is due more to the media's CYA attitude than anything else. Don't forget, last year they all said we sucked. Right, we sucked all the way to a decisive playoffs beatdown and World Series championship. And they looked like the feckless idiots that they are.

So, just in case the Tigers--and now, I guess, the Twins--do the same, it's cover-your-ass time.

Hitmen77
06-28-2006, 05:11 PM
Thanks for nothing Houston.

Don't worry, I'm sure the Tigers will lose at least one game in Pittsburgh this weekend.

Meanwhile, we get to face a tougher Cubs team (one that includes D. Lee, Barrett, and Zambrano) than the one the Tigers got to play.

Tiger23
06-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Why do you keep saying that? They got the sweep in the first series, before they knew they were good? What kind of lame excuse is that?

So, how do you explain winning only 1/3 in the last series, and would have been swept if it wasn't for a Garland implosion?

I'm sorry, but Tigers pitching has been as near to perfect as you can get, both the rotation and the bullpen.
-Rogers will fall down in the second half
-You never know what you're going to get from Bonderman- good one start, terrible the next
-Robertson has been great, but he's also never pitched this well in his career- will it last?
-How is Verlander going to pitch down the stretch...he's never thrown as many innings as he's on pace to.
-As for Miner, I'm yet to see him pitch. I've got a feeling his scouting report will catch up to him, though. If Maroth returns, will he pitch like he did before his injury?

I'm taking my Sox in the second half, because they've proven that they can play down the stretch. Not only that, but if you look at our rotation, the only guy that has shown any consistency is Contreras. I have to think that Garland (even if not 2005 Garland) is better than he's pitched, Garcia is better than that, Buehrle is back to himself lately, and Vazquez- ??? I have no idea to tell you the truth. I'm hoping he can start to put up some consistent numbers, but I KNOW that the rest of the staff can.

Tigers have been near perfect all year, good for them. Near perfect is hard to continue, and with a Sox team that can do a lot of damage right behind them, the Tigers are in trouble.

Whats wrong with going into the home park of the consensus best team in baseball and taking 1 of 3? And you can say what you want, but the Tigers took that game, Garland didn't give it away. What did Garland have to do with Pudge tagging from first on that fly ball? How did Garland make a mistake on a good pitch that Guillen fought off for a bloop single to take the lead?

You might be right about our rotation. They've all pitched above their heads, and probably will come back to earth. Although I don't expect it from Bonderman, he is absolutely rolling right now, which he has done before and cooled. This time however, his hot streak has coincided with a new changeup that he suddenly has confidence in.

My point of the original post is that I don't expect you guys to win the rest of the season series at a 5-1 pace, and I would use the word naive to describe those who expect it to continue at this pace. Same word I would use to describe any Tiger fan who expects us to destroy the Twins at the same pace. I may eat my words, but it seems reasonable to me to expect the Tigers to play a closer series with you the rest of the way.

Tiger23
06-28-2006, 07:45 PM
Don't worry, I'm sure the Tigers will lose at least one game in Pittsburgh this weekend.

Meanwhile, we get to face a tougher Cubs team (one that includes D. Lee, Barrett, and Zambrano) than the one the Tigers got to play.

Give me a break man, we saw their best pitcher in Prior and sent him to the showers early.

In all seriousness though, setting oneself up for failure against the Cubs is not becoming of a Sox fan.

MarySwiss
06-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Give me a break man, we saw their best pitcher in Prior and sent him to the showers early. In all seriousness though, setting oneself up for failure against the Cubs is not becoming of a Sox fan.

In all seriousness though, you will pardon us if we have a problem with a Tigers fan telling us what is and is not "becoming" of a Sox fan. And we're not setting ourselves up for failure against the Cubs; that is not remotely possible.

A heads-up: I am not a mod, but I've seen our mods in action, and I'd suggest you back off on the snotty tone.

gobears1987
06-28-2006, 09:18 PM
I'm not worried about Zamboso. We got Buehrle facing him. I expect another Buehrle shutout.

oeo
06-28-2006, 10:14 PM
Whats wrong with going into the home park of the consensus best team in baseball and taking 1 of 3? And you can say what you want, but the Tigers took that game, Garland didn't give it away. What did Garland have to do with Pudge tagging from first on that fly ball? How did Garland make a mistake on a good pitch that Guillen fought off for a bloop single to take the lead?
That's 1 run, and Garland just served one up after that. BUT, Mackowiak is the reason I-Roid (Pudge = Carlton Fisk) tagged up. He shouldn't have been out there screwing around, he should have been ready to throw the ball in. Instead he made the play so he could make the catch, and that's it.

And as for the Flubs...they are stronger than when you faced them. Not only that, but they actually come out to play against us, and not just roll over. The Sox will still win the series, and hopefully sweep them. They should have swept the last series against them as well.

Ol' No. 2
06-28-2006, 10:17 PM
That's what everybody said about us last year though. Remember, we didn't deserve any respect until we played the Yankees and Red Sox? Then when we did, we still didn't get any respect. They're beating the pants out of everyone on their schedule and have a great team right now. I still think the Sox will edge ahead of them barring injury on either side but they are legit. I'm glad they're doing so well too right now. It's about time the AL Central got some respect as a powerhouse.I don't really care who else the Tiggers beat or don't beat. If they want to win the division they're going to have to beat the Sox, which is something they've still not shown they can do.

beckett21
06-28-2006, 10:23 PM
I don't really care who else the Tiggers beat or don't beat. If they want to win the division they're going to have to beat the Sox, which is something they've still not shown they can do.

Yep.

All the Sox have to do is continue to take care of their own business. The rest will take care of itself.

tigersfan25
06-28-2006, 11:25 PM
The Sox did fall back to earth last year. The difference is the huge lead on the rest of the division and a red hot Indians team that couldn't beat the Sox when it counted. This year the Tigers lead is 2 to a team they can't beat.
Don't forget the 8.5 game lead they have on the Yankees (who, besides the Sox, would be next closest Wild Card Competitor)

oeo
06-28-2006, 11:39 PM
Don't forget the 8.5 game lead they have on the Yankees (who, besides the Sox, would be next closest Wild Card Competitor)

If you want the Wild Card, that's fine.

Hitmen77
06-29-2006, 09:19 AM
Give me a break man, we saw their best pitcher in Prior and sent him to the showers early.

In all seriousness though, setting oneself up for failure against the Cubs is not becoming of a Sox fan.

I agree that the Sox should still dominate a team that is still one of the worst in the NL (in other words, the worst of the worst).

Yet, there's something about these intracity games between the Cubs and the Sox that often transcends the standings. I think it's going to be tough for the Sox to secure a sweep at that smelly old stadium on the North Side. After spending years thinking they were the only team in Chicago, Cub fans and players are going to feel totally humiliated as the Sox take the field as World Champs.

Plus, I think the Cubs ability to win really does spike once every five games when Zambozo takes the hill.

Tiger23
06-29-2006, 02:59 PM
I agree that the Sox should still dominate a team that is still one of the worst in the NL (in other words, the worst of the worst).

Yet, there's something about these intracity games between the Cubs and the Sox that often transcends the standings. I think it's going to be tough for the Sox to secure a sweep at that smelly old stadium on the North Side. After spending years thinking they were the only team in Chicago, Cub fans and players are going to feel totally humiliated as the Sox take the field as World Champs.

Plus, I think the Cubs ability to win really does spike once every five games when Zambozo takes the hill.

Good points. My Tiger team doesn't have anything closely resembling a rivalry after cushioning records for the past 12 years, and that does make things a bit different.

tigersfan25
06-29-2006, 05:33 PM
If you want the Wild Card, that's fine.
I want the Central... but at the same time, the Wild Card is important because it is a playoff birth as well...

whitesoxfan
06-29-2006, 05:35 PM
I want the Central... but at the same time, the Wild Card is important because it is a playoff birth as well...

You can gladly have the wild card spot...as long as we win the division :smile:

Tiger23
06-29-2006, 06:06 PM
You can gladly have the wild card spot...as long as we win the division :smile:

Offer me the wild card guaranteed right now but no chance at the division...and I'll take it.