PDA

View Full Version : Missing: "hito"

ihatethecubs
06-26-2006, 12:19 AM
I was watching the game tonight on ESPN and apparently the "hito" half of Tadahito Iguchi's first name is missing, because Jon Miller never said it. Tadahito, oops I mean Tada, is also the same guy who sometimes magically becomes So Taguchi. Maybe our manager Ozzie Smith can explain.

TaylorStSox
06-26-2006, 12:24 AM
I like to think he's saying Todd Iguchi. It reminds me of Todd Bridges, which instantly makes me laugh. I don't know why. I'm easy to please.

QCIASOXFAN
06-26-2006, 12:24 AM
I was able to somewhat tolerate John Miller for a while but after tonight I might listen to the games on ESPN radio because he is that bad. I am not
joking either.

WWE Champion
06-26-2006, 12:25 AM
Don't forget, because he's Japanese, apparently Iguchi-san is also acceptable if your name is Jon Miller.

BadBobbyJenks
06-26-2006, 12:27 AM
When did John Miller turn Ozzie Guillen into a french name...It sounds absolutely ridiculous

Bill Naharodny
06-26-2006, 12:28 AM
I like to think he's saying Todd Iguchi. It reminds me of Todd Bridges, which instantly makes me laugh. I don't know why. I'm easy to please.

I think he's saying Conrad Bain, which instantly makes me laugh. I, too, am easy to please.

cbrownson13
06-26-2006, 12:49 AM
Isn't this exact thread started everytime we have a game on Sunday Night Baseball?

QCIASOXFAN
06-26-2006, 12:52 AM
Isn't this exact thread started everytime we have a game on Sunday Night Baseball? It seems much worse tonight, Miller really out did himself this evening.

peeonwrigley
06-26-2006, 12:59 AM
It seems much worse tonight, Miller really out did himself this evening.

Sometimes I think he does it just to **** with people like us.

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-26-2006, 01:01 AM
I was watching the game tonight on ESPN and apparently the "hito" half of Tadahito Iguchi's first name is missing, because Jon Miller never said it. Tadahito, oops I mean Tada, is also the same guy who sometimes magically becomes So Taguchi. Maybe our manager Ozzie Smith can explain.

no, it's actually Ozzy Ozbourne

Foulke You
06-26-2006, 01:39 AM
I was able to somewhat tolerate John Miller for a while but after tonight I might listen to the games on ESPN radio because he is that bad. I am not
joking either.
I agree. I'm not a fan of Jon Miller either. Besides his wacky pronounciation of names, it is the flow of his sentences that drives me nuts. He puts a stress on the wrong syllable quite often.

http://curtsmith.mlblogs.com/voices_of_the_game/images/jon_miller_head_shot.jpg
"Paul KONERKO has been having quite a year here in Chi-CAGO, hitting extremely well here at U.S. CELL-ular field. Another hitter for Chi-CAGO, Juan OOOOO-Ribe has been getting hot recently. Also, have I mentioned how Travis HAF-ner got his nickname PRONK?"

Mercy!
06-26-2006, 02:14 AM
When did John Miller turn Ozzie Guillen into a french name...It sounds absolutely ridiculous Well, actually, when he wasn't calling him Ozzie Smith, he was pronouncing his name properly, if a little ostentatiously. The accent is specifically on the last syllable, so Gee-YEN, not GEE-en:

mánager de los Medias Blancas Ozzie Guillén

Nellie_Fox
06-26-2006, 02:18 AM
Well, actually, when he wasn't calling him Ozzie Smith, he was pronouncing his name properly, if a little ostentatiously. The accent is specifically on the last syllable, so Gee-YEN, not GEE-en:

mánager de los Medias Blancas Ozzie GuillénIf you want to be 100% correct, it's "gee-JHEN."

TheVulture
06-26-2006, 04:13 AM
I really hate how he leaves the "-athon" off when pronouncing his own name. Damn you, Jonathon Miller!!!

StockdaleForVeep
06-26-2006, 04:18 AM
I honestly wonder if he thinks Hito is a middle name or something. Cuz today he went thru a rash of calling him tada and tadahito.

SouthsideFathead
06-26-2006, 07:09 AM
I noticed the shortened first name thing too...

i don't know what was more annoying, that or the way he kept on talking about "Tada" swinging at a ball 3-1...it's not that rare to have to mention it what seems like after every batter...

jenmcm76
06-26-2006, 07:32 AM
Well, actually, when he wasn't calling him Ozzie Smith, he was pronouncing his name properly, if a little ostentatiously. The accent is specifically on the last syllable, so Gee-YEN, not GEE-en:

mánager de los Medias Blancas Ozzie Guillén

My understanding of Spanish (limited as it is) is that the emphasis automatically goes on the second-to-last syllable unless there's an accent specifying otherwise.

I guess the debate, then is whether there's an accent over the 'e' in Guillen, and I've seen it both ways. I guess for me, until I see an accent over the 'e' on Ozzie's jersey, I'm going to stick with GEE-yen.

Now, what can we do about Oooh-ree-bay?

cbotnyse
06-26-2006, 07:54 AM
It seems much worse tonight, Miller really out did himself this evening.I actually like Miller.....but tonight he really annoyed me, and thats hard to do.

Jurr
06-26-2006, 11:44 AM
My understanding of Spanish (limited as it is) is that the emphasis automatically goes on the second-to-last syllable unless there's an accent specifying otherwise.

I guess the debate, then is whether there's an accent over the 'e' in Guillen, and I've seen it both ways. I guess for me, until I see an accent over the 'e' on Ozzie's jersey, I'm going to stick with GEE-yen.

Now, what can we do about Oooh-ree-bay?
Very good with the accent thing! That's also why you hear Ozzie, when he's saying any word ending with -ain or an pronounce it -ang. In Venezuela and neighboring countries, they add an -ang or -eng to Spanish words frequently.

Spanish trivia aside, Jon Miller sucks.

Mercy!
06-26-2006, 01:02 PM

Now, what can we do about Oooh-ree-bay? Rest assured, my understanding of Spanish is more limited than yours.:(:

But we don't often use accent marks in US English, even to properly represent other languages. The phrase I gave in my post - mánager de los Medias Blancas Ozzie Guillén - was taken from a Spanish-language sports report. I didn't add the diacritical marks over the vowels.

If you'll search on "Ozzie Guillen" and set your search engine to return only pages in Spanish, you'll see what I mean. In this case, it really IS "different in Venezuela.":D:

DachnoPiitu
06-27-2006, 01:21 PM
I am sure this has been discussed and I am not sure this is the best place to ask:

How did they cheer Iguchi in Japan? How is it that not one Sox fan has seen any video of one of his japanese at-bats?

It was a great game to attend but after that grand slam I just felt 'gooch' was lacking and that he deserves something more japanese. I was really happy how a lot of people stayed and how a lot of people were yelling 'gooch'. (and the 7 runs off of iguchi's bat were nice too)

:wink:

SBSoxFan
06-27-2006, 03:35 PM
It was a great game to attend but after that grand slam I just felt 'gooch' was lacking and that he deserves something more japanese.

:wink:

goochi-san?

jortafan
06-28-2006, 08:34 AM
I'm not sure why people are getting so upset about the notion of "Tada Iguchi."

As I understand it, that is what Iguchi calls himself, and what his friends call him. "Tadahito" is the formal full first name, but he goes by "Tada" for short. I've even heard Ken Harrelson refer to him as "Tada Iguchi" during ballgames, or do we not trust the Hawk?

Besides, anything sounds better than referring to him as "the gooch," which reminds my trivia-addled brain of a half-wit character from "Different Strokes." And yeah, calling him "Iguchi-san" can be ethnically insensitive, if you do not know what you are talking about.

StillMissOzzie
06-28-2006, 04:56 PM
I'm not sure why people are getting so upset about the notion of "Tada Iguchi."

As I understand it, that is what Iguchi calls himself, and what his friends call him. "Tadahito" is the formal full first name, but he goes by "Tada" for short. I've even heard Ken Harrelson refer to him as "Tada Iguchi" during ballgames, or do we not trust the Hawk?

Besides, anything sounds better than referring to him as "the gooch," which reminds my trivia-addled brain of a half-wit character from "Different Strokes." And yeah, calling him "Iguchi-san" can be ethnically insensitive, if you do not know what you are talking about.

Haven't any of you guys seen the pre-game introductions where the Topps baseball cards come to life and each player introduces himself? Or do they only do this on Sundays (my last 2 games now)? Because when Iguchi introduces himself, it sure sounds to me like he's saying "Tada Iguch", where you don't even hear the "i" at the end of his last name, let alone the last two syllables of his first name.

SMO
:gulp: