06-26-2006, 12:37 AM
Oh well :(:

vegyrex
06-26-2006, 12:38 AM
Darn!!!

can't win 'em all. :(:

LuvSox
Good fight tonight. What a team we have. I like our chances.

Kogs35
what a game, too bad the 13th was unlucky for us :whiner: :angry:

i luvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv tadahito

IA_soxfan
I accept full responsibility for this loss. I turned the game off when we were down by 8, and when I went to check sportscenter it was the bottom of the 13th. I must be bad luck. :angry:

peeonwrigley
06-26-2006, 12:39 AM
Sucks to lose on a flukey triple like that.

zach074
Losing 9-2 would have been less painfull.

InContention
I will never, ever, turn away from a game again...

markopat
GREAT COMEBACK...I love the guts this team has...Keeps me believin every game!

Let's start a new streak!

MrX
06-26-2006, 12:40 AM
Now that they lost it's a shame Fingernails on a blackboard will get the loss instead of Vazquez and his horse**** performance. This guy has the mental makeup of a 12 year old.

QCIASOXFAN
06-26-2006, 12:40 AM
Sucks to lose on a flukey triple like that. That was some bad luck. Oh well, lets head out to Pittsburgh!

DickAllen72
06-26-2006, 12:41 AM
Sucks to lose on a flukey triple like that.

Yeah. McCarthy will get charged with the loss but Vazquez is the one who lost this game tonight.

LuvSox
Losing 9-2 would have been less painfull.

No, no way. This game showed us, again, what they are made of. This team rocks! Bring Detroit!!!!!!

CaptainBallz
What IS wrong with Gooch???!!

Oh, well...great streak. Fun Game.

Let's keep it rollin'

kevingrt
06-26-2006, 12:42 AM
That was some bad luck. Oh well, lets head out to Pittsburgh!

Kinda gotta ask yourself if that was held to a double what might have happened. As in Mackoviawk doesn't dive but goes around the ball. But that would be stupid because that wouldnt be giving it 100%

DickAllen72
06-26-2006, 12:42 AM
Now that they lost it's a shame Fingernails on a blackboard will get the loss instead of Vazquez and his horse**** performance. This guy has the mental makeup of a 12 year old.

Vazquez doesn't seem to fit in with this team. He doesn't have the mental makeup and he doesn't have the stones.

CLR01
06-26-2006, 12:44 AM
Oh well.

Hopefully this win sparks the Astros and they actually show up against Detroit. Just a shame their bullpen is cashed now. :(:

White Sox get to regroup and take on the Pirates. Time to start another streak.

peeonwrigley
Kinda gotta ask yourself if that was held to a double what might have happened. As in Mackoviawk doesn't dive but goes around the ball. But that would be stupid because that wouldnt be giving it 100%

It was Gload. I think he thought it was going to be foul so he gave it a full effort. Gload isn't a very experienced outfielder, so you've got to respect the effort and hope that he files that one away for future reference.

Chisox1500
Ross Gload should not be on the team. He provides nothing. Note to Kenny, please bring up someone who can play the outfield.

What a gutwrenching and unnecessary loss. It would be nice if Ozzie did not mail it in so early.

ChiSoxFan32
06-26-2006, 12:45 AM
The Pirates should be good for getting back on track.

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-26-2006, 12:45 AM
worst part is we always win games like this :whiner:

South Side
06-26-2006, 12:46 AM
Ross Gload should not be on the team. He provides nothing. Note to Kenny, please bring up someone who can play the outfield.

What a gutwrenching and unnecessary loss. It would be nice if Ozzie did not mail it in so early.

That's a bit extreme. You're looking at this game the wrong way. We came back from a 9-1 defecit. I really don't see how you can criticize the team (Vasquez excluded).

LuvSox
06-26-2006, 12:47 AM

What the **** are you yapping about? Do you follow the Sox? Gload has been very impressive lately. He gave 100% tonight.

Mail it in? What?

MinnySoxFan
06-26-2006, 12:48 AM
I'm not gonna blame the fan because then we would be like the losers 8 miles north.

MrX
Plus he's not on the team to be a OF. If BA wasn't suspended Mack would have been over there.

hi im skot
I'm so proud of this team.

What a great effort...it's hard to be too terribly upset after this one. Sure, it's a loss, and we had our chances, but that the Sox made it a game is just awesome.

Look out Pittsburgh!

peeonwrigley
06-26-2006, 12:50 AM
I'm not gonna blame the fan because then we would be like the losers 8 miles north.

He might have scored if the fan had not interfered. Gload was clueless as to where the ball went.

NSSoxFan
06-26-2006, 12:50 AM

Why would the fan take the blame for anything? If anything, he almost helped out the situation!

SouthSide_HitMen
06-26-2006, 12:51 AM
Great comeback once again though we had another ESPN Sunday Night tease (Sunday Night Baseball has not been very kind to us).

Vazquez has 4 or 5 blowup outings a season - sadly he has used up his allotment. This isn't the NL and it is time to sink or swim.

Montero let in all of Vazquez' runners but settled down afterwards and Jenks was able to rescue Cotts.

I quoted Jimmy V in the gamethread - "Don't Give Up. Don't Ever Give Up!" and I am glad this White Sox team lives by that motto.

Go get'em in Pittsburgh and for everyone on WSI heading out there (and all other Sox fans) I hope you have a safe, fun and winning trip!!!

ondafarm
06-26-2006, 12:52 AM
It's a shame that a bad call on interference (3-bases, since when has that been in) possibly cost the Sox this game. Leave it to Wendelstadt

infohawk
Well, can't win 'em all I guess. What a comeback. If your going to lose a game, I'd rather end the homestand with that spirited effort than if it had ended 9-2 or 9-5. In the end it may have hurt to not have Dye and Crede in the game, but if the decision to take them out was because we were on the wrong side of a blowout than I perfectly understand the move. I mean really, what were the odds the Sox would score 7 runs in the final two innings? The guys have every reason to feel proud.

I wonder what was up with Vazquez? I knew something was wrong early when he wasn't racking up some strikouts. Too me that's a red flag that he could likely have a bad outing. It's kind of like when I see Garland not getting groundball outs. Oh well, not to dwell on it. Great effort guys!!!:smile:

Bill Naharodny
Vazquez doesn't seem to fit in with this team. He doesn't have the mental makeup and he doesn't have the stones.

Note to file: Javier Vazquez's ERA is now a perfect, elegant 5.00.

Nice work, Javier.

DickAllen72
06-26-2006, 12:53 AM
Ross Gload should not be on the team. He provides nothing.

*****. Dye doesn't catch that ball either. Gload gave it a hell of an effort and if he would have caught it it would have been a sensational catch. If he doesn't dive, Everett might have stayed at second but you never know. Either way, Taveraz' single would have scored him from second.

The Sox didn't lose tonight because of Gload. The only reason they lost was because Vazquez pitched like **** once again.

joebro25
06-26-2006, 12:53 AM
Great Comeback tonight. Especially after Vazquez imploding in the 5th. The guy killed me with the way he allowed big, 2-out runs. Those hanging curveballs don't fool anybody.Now, lets go and lay a beat down on the lowly Pirates.

Jjav829
06-26-2006, 12:55 AM
Great Comeback tonight. Especially after Vazquez imploding in the 5th. The guy killed me with the way he allowed big, 2-out runs. Those hanging curveballs don't fool anybody.Now, lets go and lay a beat down on the lowly Pirates.

Hey, welcome aboard! :D:

:welcome:

Parrothead
06-26-2006, 12:56 AM
Nice comeback but fell short. One thing I have to question is Konerko trying to tag up and advance to 3rd in the second. Who knows what would have happened if he did not go. Who does he think he is? Someone with average speed? I am not blaming Paulie but he should have known better. Javy sucked tonight.

Jjav829
06-26-2006, 12:57 AM
It's a shame that a bad call on interference (3-bases, since when has that been in) possibly cost the Sox this game. Leave it to Wendelstadt

How is that a bad call? :?:

MrX
06-26-2006, 12:57 AM
Well, can't win 'em all I guess. What a comeback. If your going to lose a game, I'd rather end the homestand with that spirited effort than if it had ended 9-2 or 9-5. In the end it may have hurt to not have Dye and Crede in the game, but if the decision to take them out was because we were on the wrong side of a blowout than I perfectly understand the move. I mean really, what were the odds the Sox would score 7 runs in the final two innings? The guys have every reason to feel proud.

I wonder what was up with Vazquez? I knew something was wrong early when he wasn't racking up some strikouts. Too me that's a red flag that he could likely have a bad outing. It's kind of like when I see Garland not getting groundball outs. Oh well, not to dwell on it. Great effort guys!!!:smile:

Dye is 2 for his last 19, that's why Ozzie pulled him. I don't know why he pulled Crede, probably wanted to avoid doing any damage to the back.

oeo
06-26-2006, 12:58 AM
I think Dye would have made that catch, because I don't think he would be playing in centerfield next to Mackowiak. I'm not sure what that was all about; if it was supposed to be a good thing, I'm wondering how.

TaylorStSox
06-26-2006, 12:58 AM
Honestly, I blame alot of Vazquez' problems on AJ. He has to make Javier throw his 4 seamer. He gets behind in counts because he doesn't trust his stuff. He relies too heavily on his curve and change. Hell, he has a great 2 seamer and a plus 4 seamer. He just doesn't believe in either pitch.

Bill Naharodny
06-26-2006, 01:00 AM
I think Dye would have made that catch, because I don't think he would be playing in centerfield next to Mackowiak. I'm not sure what that was all about; if it was supposed to be a good thing, I'm wondering how.

I don't think Dye gets there. He's looked slow to me most of the year. But I don't think Dye plays it into a triple, though.

IA_soxfan
06-26-2006, 01:01 AM
Note to file: Javier Vazquez's ERA is now a perfect, elegant 5.00.

Nice work, Javier.

Very few white sox pitchers have pissed me off more than Vazquez, especially during the course of tonight's outing. All those meatball pitches he served up with 2 outs and 2 strikes when he really needed to make big pitches and get out of jams were nauseating. This guy seems to (not unlike Garland) really be lacking in the mental toughness department.

Jjav829
06-26-2006, 01:02 AM
Dye is 2 for his last 19, that's why Ozzie pulled him. I don't know why he pulled Crede, probably wanted to avoid doing any damage to the back.

Ozzie doesn't pull guys because they are 2 for their last 19.

I didn't understand the move. Maybe Dye has a nagging injury that flared up that we are unaware. However, to me it seemed like Ozzie had his mind made up entering the inning and wasn't going to let a 3-run HR change his mind.

thomas35forever
06-26-2006, 01:02 AM
Oh well. This is a loss I can take. I can wait another week to be in first place. Iguchi is awesome.

LuvSox
06-26-2006, 01:05 AM
Very few white sox pitchers have pissed me off more than Vazquez, especially during the course of tonight's outing.

WOW, that's a tall order. Does Howry or Navarro or Marte ring a bell? :D:

RadioheadRocks
06-26-2006, 01:05 AM
Honestly, I blame alot of Vazquez' problems on AJ. He has to make Javier throw his 4 seamer. He gets behind in counts because he doesn't trust his stuff. He relies too heavily on his curve and change. Hell, he has a great 2 seamer and a plus 4 seamer. He just doesn't believe in either pitch.

Blaming AJ? Hmmmmm where have I heard that song before?

"Paging Brett Tomko, paging Mr. Brett Tomko..."

Bill Naharodny
06-26-2006, 01:07 AM
Very few white sox pitchers have pissed me off more than Vazquez, especially during the course of tonight's outing. All those meatball pitches he served up with 2 outs and 2 strikes when he really needed to make big pitches and get out of jams were nauseating. This guy seems to (not unlike Garland) really be lacking in the mental toughness department.

I mentioned in the game thread that this guy reminds me of Floyd Bannister, a White Sox pitcher from the 1980's -- good stuff, was on some poor teams, lost more than he won before coming to the South Side. Well, there was a reason for that -- dumb pitches at dumb times. And it happened so frequently that -- at a certain point and despite his great stuff -- it ceased to be underachieving. That's just who the guy was. And my concern is that this is who Vazquez is.

It took Contreras some time to settle in here. Maybe the same is the case with Vazquez. But, then again, I don't think Javy's wife and kid are on their way from Cuba, either.

This guy has to get it together. You earn more respect from fans and your teammates by pitching through adversity than anything else. Look at Buehrle. He's no lights-out pitcher. Fact is, he gets knocked around quite a bit. But he battles out there, and everything else takes care of itself.

Time for Vazquez to get it together, before we start thinking we traded the wrong Javier for Riske.

whitesoxfan
06-26-2006, 01:11 AM
Hard loss, but the guys never gave up. What a job to get back in this game and to even have a chance at winning this. Now we have 6 games against the 2 worst teams in the NL in the next week. Time to start a new streak :smile:

Jerko
06-26-2006, 01:14 AM
*****. Dye doesn't catch that ball either and Tavarez can fly. Gload gave it a hell of an effort and if he would have caught it it would have been a sensational catch. If he doesn't dive, Tavarez might have stayed at second but you never know.

The Sox didn't lose tonight because of Gload. The only reason they lost was because Vazquez pitched like **** once again.

I don't think that was Tavares. I think Tavares drove in the guy that got the "triple". "Flash" Everett got the "triple".

TaylorStSox
06-26-2006, 01:15 AM
Blaming AJ? Hmmmmm where have I heard that song before?

"Paging Brett Tomko, paging Mr. Brett Tomko..."

Sorry. I forgot that AJ does nothing wrong.

Obviously Vazquez is giving up the hits. It's ultimately his fault. However, his pitch selection is, IMO, the thing that's setting him back. When people say a pitcher has no "stones" alot of that has to do with the fingers that are being laid down by the catcher.

spiffie
06-26-2006, 01:17 AM
Ross Gload has no business being on a major league roster. He cannot hit with any consistency and he is an awful OF. He adds nothing and takes away from the team.

Which is why I am pissed at Ozzie for playing him tonight. He took two of our strongest bats out of the lineup when we were in reach of Houston. I don't mind the Crede for Pablo move since you can at least point to things Pablo brings that Crede doesn't (speed, bunting skills) and Pablo is a solid hitter this year. But to play Gload for Dye makes no sense at all. Ozzie's decisions took away from the ability of this team to play its best and it caught up to them in the 13th.

Anyone know if Vazquez has a no-trade still, or was that removed when he agreed to be traded here? Because if he's able to be traded, I would be willing to listen to offers for him in a heartbeat.

To the rest of the team all I can say is this team has so much heart you can never turn away from them. They will never give up on a game and that makes me so happy to see. And its what makes me so mad about the decisions by Guillen since his attempts to play hunches and overthink things ended up wasting all that effort.

Chisox1500
06-26-2006, 01:20 AM
They blew a winnable game. Sorry to not be happy that they "played hard" or "didn't give up" that's their jobs.

Gload never plays and cannot play the outfield. Would Dye have caught that ball. I don't know. But I'll take my chances with him over our backup first baseman. Why is Gload on the roster when the team needs a true outfielder, since they only have 3?

MrX
06-26-2006, 01:29 AM
They have 4, 5 if you count Pablo, and you can't call someone up to take the spot of someone who is suspended.

StockdaleForVeep
06-26-2006, 01:33 AM
I like how this thread has gone. Had this event happened several miles north, u know who woulda been blamed for that triple. But lets see how much the media tomorrow laughs at this kid\blaming him.

Tough loss but valiant effort, our offense is still hot and we're facing the weedwackers of the nl central coming up.

Brian26
06-26-2006, 01:41 AM

Its disturbing when Vazquez continually loses guys on 0-2 and 1-2 counts.

itsnotrequired
Walking in the rain with a baby is for sucks.

Sig update time...

Jerko

Not only loses, but gives up mammoth 2 run homers to.

Brian26
06-26-2006, 01:42 AM
Ross Gload should not be on the team. He provides nothing.

Ignorant.

StockdaleForVeep
06-26-2006, 01:44 AM

It seems his fastball is crap but his change has been workin, when i saw him start against cleveland, his fastball was wild and just garbage but got em swingin on his changeup

Brian26
06-26-2006, 01:44 AM

Isn't that up to the umpire's discretion when fan interference is involved? If he thinks the runner could have reached third, he can award him three bases.

twentywontowin
06-26-2006, 01:54 AM
Can someone give a run-down of the fan interference thing? Us upper deck guys on 1st base didn't get a good look at what happened. We all assumed that the ball went foul and the umpire called it fair like an idiot.

And on top of the heartbreaking loss, it starts to thunderstorm and torrential downpour as everyone walked to their cars. :(

peeonwrigley
06-26-2006, 01:58 AM
Can someone give a run-down of the fan interference thing? Us upper deck guys on 1st base didn't get a good look at what happened. We all assumed that the ball went foul and the umpire called it fair like an idiot.

And on top of the heartbreaking loss, it starts to thunderstorm and torrential downpour as everyone walked to their cars. :(

The right call was made. Gload made contact with the ball about 6 inches on the fair side of the line.

The fan interference probably saved the Sox a base as Gload did not know where the ball was and does not have a great arm. Everett probably could have scored if the play continued.

HotelWhiteSox
06-26-2006, 01:58 AM
Could tell it was one of those Vazquez nights with the 1st inning, just not his night. I mean, you know it's bad when you give up hits to world's weakest man Adam Everett. Very special for the guys to come back though. Was getting a little creepy with the World Series similarities with them going to extras in a game Oswalt started.

Have never liked Gload, so need to comment here...

TheOldRoman
06-26-2006, 02:00 AM
Isn't that up to the umpire's discretion when fan interference is involved? If he thinks the runner could have reached third, he can award him three bases.
Yes, and the runner would have gotten at least 3 bases. Gload made a good effort, but it was hit at the perfect spot, and it looked like he was playing WAY out of position. Gload assumed it was foul right away, which is why he stopped when he got up. When he looked at the ump, he finally turned and ran for the ball, but the fan had touched it.

I agree that this game doesn't make me feel good. Our epic comeback turned out meaningless. What upset me the most was the offense returning to 2004 form in extras. Other than the inning with Pablo's basehit, everyone stepped up to the plate swinging from the shoetops, trying to be a hero.

I have always been a fan of Gload. I really like his bat off the bench. However, I would really like to see the Sox pick up Dave Roberts. It wouldn't have mattered tonight, but eventually having a first baseman in RF will hurt us. I agree that Vazquez is the most frustrating player on this team right now. He should be dominating, but he is throwing worse than he did over the last few years. I am remaining patient because it took Jose a whole year of Coop's coaching to turn it around. Vazquez singlehandedly cost us the game tonight (just like Freddy did two weeks ago on Sunday night). He has been rocked several times already this year. He needs to step up, and he needs to do it now.

A loss is a loss, no matter how many runs we scored the last two innings. The only good thing I can say is that this team is professional, and they don't carry things over to the next game. I agree that it is much worse losing a game like this than if we had lost 9-1. However, the Sox will sleep it off and be ready to destroy Pittsburgh on Tuesday.

Fuller_Schettman
06-26-2006, 02:00 AM
It really astounds me that we could eat 3 of the 4 best NL teams for lunch, win 15 out of 19, have a nice little 5-1 homestand, hit Salamis in 3 straight and come back from a 9-1 beating and you'd think we just lost Konerko and Contreras for the year reading some of this dark cloud ****!

We should really get West to hurry up with that Pansy Filter! :angry:

buehrle4cy05
06-26-2006, 02:02 AM
Maybe the baseball gods knew something. Less than 2 minutes after the game ended, it started pouring. And it probably won't stop. I would have been at the park until about 3 the way this one is going.

That being said, despite the fact that about half the crowd had left by the 9th, Iguchi's granny produced the loudest noise I have ever heard at the stadium.

peeonwrigley
06-26-2006, 02:04 AM
It really astounds me that we could eat 3 of the 4 best NL teams for lunch, win 15 out of 19, have a nice little 5-1 homestand, hit Salamis in 3 straight and come back from a 9-1 beating and you'd think we just lost Konerko and Contreras for the year reading some of this dark cloud ****!

We should really get West to hurry up with that Pansy Filter! :angry:

What thread are you reading?

Fuller_Schettman
06-26-2006, 02:05 AM
Isn't this the Useless Bitching room?

peeonwrigley: No! This is Incessant Whining. Useless Bitching is 2nd door on the left! :cool:

cheeses_h_rice
06-26-2006, 02:13 AM
As I sit here with my windows open, I can hear the Rain Gods expressing their displeasure at the Sox's winning streak being stopped at 9 (not to mention my own personal 2006 record chalking up its first "L" :(:).

Oh well, still a great game. To see the team come back from 9-1 in the 7th inning and tie it on its third consecutive grand slam in 3 games against the 'Stros...just fun stuff, going nuts with everybody who had the balls to stick around.

peeonwrigley
06-26-2006, 02:17 AM
Isn't this the Useless Bitching room?

peeonwrigley: No! This is Incessant Whining. Useless Bitching is 2nd door on the left! :cool:

This is standard post-loss stuff.

This forum is capable of much "better." Check back if we drop 3 of the next 6 or something.

Chips
06-26-2006, 02:18 AM

No ****. Vazquez pitched like **** and some folks don't like Gload, hardly seems like dark cloud talk to me.

BNLSox
06-26-2006, 02:24 AM
That being said, despite the fact that about half the crowd had left by the 9th, Iguchi's granny produced the loudest noise I have ever heard at the stadium.

It also made me produce one of the loudest noises I've ever made. Concerned neighbors inquired if I was okay!

Look, it sucks to lose, but this team showed some really amazing things tonight. Javier is not as amazing as Contreras and Buerhle, but folks, we've gotten spoiled here. We're lucky to have such an amazingly talented team across the board. We can't have a superstar in every role and frankly if we did we'd just become the yankees and not have anyone who knows their role.

Vazquez is still adjusting. He has had flashes of brilliance and will be awesome out of the pen in the post season. We're in great shape. Even if the Tigers never fade and we take that wildcard, they can't beat us.

Foulke You
06-26-2006, 02:31 AM
One thing every Sox fan knows after this game. You NEVER turn the game off, no matter what the score is this season.:cool:

cheeses_h_rice
06-26-2006, 02:38 AM
OK, ***? I'm watching BB2Nite, and they're showing the Gload attempt in the 13th. The ball is CLEARLY foul, unless you count it fair because his feet were still in fair territory.

WTFF? What's the ruling here? I'm obviously missing something. We bitched about the call during the game, and it appears that our vision wasn't faulty.

California Sox
06-26-2006, 02:40 AM

Then throw in some blame for Posada and whoever the Arizona catchers were last year too, because this is vintage Javy: Every third start he gets the ever-lovin' snot beat out of him. Why? Who knows? But it's happened more places than just here, so it's not A.J.'s fault.

peeonwrigley
06-26-2006, 02:42 AM
OK, ***? I'm watching BB2Nite, and they're showing the Gload attempt in the 13th. The ball is CLEARLY foul, unless you count it fair because his feet were still in fair territory.

WTFF? What's the ruling here? I'm obviously missing something. We bitched about the call during the game, and it appears that our vision wasn't faulty.

I thought it was foul at full speed, then thought it was clearly fair when a replay was shown. Maybe I need to see it again.

Georgey3085
06-26-2006, 02:44 AM
What a game to go to tonight!!! I was THAT close to catching Iguchi's grandslam as I could not believe that they came that close to winning it. I love this team and I am appreciating it as much as possible because I know one day we will not be winning and having this sorta magical games and seasons. Gosh, I love going to the Sox website and watching that highlight OVER and OVER again. Mostly laughing at myself for the funny celebration I had after the homer. GOSH:rolleyes:

gosox3072
06-26-2006, 03:06 AM
Amaizing game to be at, i dont think ive ever gone as crazy as i did when gooch hit that grand slam. LOL not even whne we won game 4 last year. Some dude in the 7th said as he walked out of section 537 "this one is over" and i yelled back at him "this game isnt over yet!" i guess i was right.

Too bad we lost, id like to see where that ball hit b/c it looked foul from where I was, and either way the hitter should have only gotten 2 bases, he was in between 1st and 2nd when the fan interferred. A decent throw would have gotten him i think.

Either way i guess we can lose 1 out of every 10 games!

StockdaleForVeep
06-26-2006, 05:20 AM
Heh will people be dissapointed if we win the next game by 42 but dont hit a grandslam? :moonwalk::roflmao:

Grzegorz
06-26-2006, 05:53 AM

Exactly, four and five in our rotation have to get tougher mentally. But, nine out of ten is awfully good. Now onto Pittsburgh hopefully a new streak starts for both us and the Tiggers.

Grzegorz
06-26-2006, 06:08 AM
It seems his fastball is crap but his change has been workin, when i saw him start against cleveland, his fastball was wild and just garbage but got em swingin on his changeup

Cooper will work with him. I heard an interview with Thornton and he credited Cooper with simplifying his mental approach to the game by focusing on Matt's particular strengths. Sounds like common sense but Thornton was very happy with Coop's approach.

In Coop I trust...

Two other things to get off my chest:

I hate the MLB strikezone. But, for the most part both teams have the same strikezone so work within those parameters.

This is the pitching staff we're going to war with. We all have to accept this fact. I am confident it is good enough to get the job done.

Jon Garland and Javier Vasquez have to, and I believe will get tougher mentally. Face it, there are no gimme games out there. It is going to be a fight every game down to the wire.

delben91
06-26-2006, 06:31 AM
Great game, great comeback. This team is flat-out amazing.

Still, going 9-1 and gaining no ground? That's ridiculous. :o:

Jose.Contreras
06-26-2006, 07:46 AM
That ball taht Everett hit in the 13th was definitley fair. It was looking foul in full speed but the replay's showed it was 100% a fair ball. Damn, I wanted to win after that amazing, amazing, AMAZING comeback. 2-out grand slam to tie it!?!? 3 straight games with a grand slam!?!? A chance to win 10 straight? Crazy!

Now on to Pittsburgh...LOSERS of 11 in a row! We gotta sweep 'em. Detroit seems to lose only once every 2 weeks or so. ARGH!

Maybe we'll go 110-52 and the Tigers will end up 105-57. It seems that way right now.

SOXSINCE'70
06-26-2006, 07:51 AM
Can the 'Stros please win a few against the Kitties??:dunno: :dunno:
The way things are going,I doubt it.:angry:

The Immigrant
06-26-2006, 08:11 AM
Great game, great comeback. This team is flat-out amazing.

Still, going 9-1 and gaining no ground? That's ridiculous. :o:

Kitten fans are saying the same thing. It's a long season...

Dan H
06-26-2006, 08:12 AM
Tough loss, but still shows what a great team this is. At the beginning of the month, the Tribune had a story about how pivotal June was going to be for the Sox. The story pointed out the Sox had to face tough teams like the Rangers, Tigers, Indians, Reds, Cardinals, and the Astros. Including the series in Texas, the Sox won every one of these series. Only Detoit staying hot kept the Sox out of first.

BeviBall!
06-26-2006, 09:11 AM
The last Sunday night rally that came up a bit short sparked them into this current hot stretch. Here's hoping for a repeat performance. Awesome comeback!

Thome25
06-26-2006, 09:28 AM
Why would the fan take the blame for anything? If anything, he almost helped out the situation!

I don't want to get into this big debate like the Flubs 2003 situation but, if the fan doesn't touch the ball then I don't think the Umps award Everett 3B.

Also, Gload has a chance to hold the runner or possibly by some miracle throw him out if he's the one holding the ball in his hand instead of the fan.

jdm2662
06-26-2006, 09:44 AM
I don't want to get into this big debate like the Flubs 2003 situation but, if the fan doesn't touch the ball then I don't think the Umps award Everett 3B.

Also, Gload has a chance to hold the runner or possibly by some miracle throw him out if he's the one holding the ball in his hand instead of the fan.

Um, Umps don't award runners bases when the ball is in play. Everet was already half way to third when the fan interferred with the ball. Gload would've had no chance to throw him out. It was a fluke play. It happens. Time to move on to Tuesday.

Hitmen77
06-26-2006, 09:58 AM
Dang - the first six runs all scored after 2 were out. :(: All Vazquez has to do is get ONE out in ONE of those situations and we go home a winner. I'm surprised Ozzie kept him in after giving up his 7th run in the 7th inning.

On the whole, I think the team has to feel a big boost from that comeback even though they eventually lost. They've lost only for the 4th time in 19 games and in 2 of those 4 losses, they had stunning comebacks.

I wish Javy would be more consistent. The way he's been going, I guess he's now good for a good outing or two before having another meltdown. I was hoping Coop would get him back to the pitcher he was before July 2004, but he's just continuing his inconsistency.

MikeKreevich
06-26-2006, 10:03 AM
I was at the game last night and I can't remember the fans ever being more excited than they were after the Iguchi grand slam. As for the fan interference triple, I watched Gload all the way and he gave it everything he had. Dye would not have caught that ball. Everett would have scored on the following single whether he was on second or third. I kept wondering if the game might have ended differently if Ozzie had not pulled Dye And Crede, and gone with Vasquez so long. It seems that, with this team, no lead is insurmountable. Paul Konerko's try to advance to third on a flyball in the second may have cost them the run that would have made Igughi's a "Sayonara" home run. As I always say. "You can't win them all. Even the Mighty White Sox lose once and a while."

slobes
06-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Ah man that woulda been amazing if we would have pulled that off. Even though, I kinda see Iguchi's HR as being equivilent to AJ's last year. That was the most "electric" I've seen the stadium all year I'd say. Woulda been great to pull it off, but good job to all the guys, even the bench guys, for not giving up on it.

MarySwiss
06-26-2006, 11:32 AM
TBGR (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3181)

comet2k
06-26-2006, 01:23 PM

After the first HR in the 5th, Vasquez walked the next guy on four pitches. AJ's response was to fire the ball back at Vasquez as if to say, "Shape up, lame brain." Maybe he is a lame brain, but shouldn't AJ have gone out to the mound before the fourth ball and talk to Vasquez, try to get him back on course?

I was at the game and from where I was sitting couldn't tell what Vasquez threw on the 0-2 count that turned into the first HR. Anyone know what he threw? It sure looked fat.

CaptainBallz
06-26-2006, 01:34 PM
I was at the game and from where I was sitting couldn't tell what Vasquez threw on the 0-2 count that turned into the first HR. Anyone know what he threw? It sure looked fat.

It was a fastball right in the money spot. Horrible, horrible pitch in the 0-2 situation. :mad:

tstrike2000
06-26-2006, 01:37 PM
Great comeback once again though we had another ESPN Sunday Night tease (Sunday Night Baseball has not been very kind to us).

Vazquez has 4 or 5 blowup outings a season - sadly he has used up his allotment. This isn't the NL and it is time to sink or swim.

Montero let in all of Vazquez' runners but settled down afterwards and Jenks was able to rescue Cotts.
I agree with all of the above. We typically do not play well on Sunday Night Baseball. Vazquez is unfortunate though because he has 4 pitches he can throw for strikes when he's on. However, he throws an awesome slider but then hangs a curve ball or throws a belt high fastball. I truly think Cooper can work with him to spot his pitches better and rediscover that curve ball. But hey, right now we're still 49-26 with three of our starters struggling for the better part of this first half and Contreras going on the DL.

Mitsubishi Montero can only really be used in mop up situations like Politte. Garcia and Garland have been pitching better as of late and Hermy may come back soon, although he'll be rusty. That's what makes the addition of Riske a big move and Kenny will sure up the bullpen further if need be.

And how about Alex Cintron? I've always like this guy the last few years and what a big addition it is to have a guy like that off the bench. He could be easily be starting somewhere else. Plus him and Ozuna are solid defensively. Mackowiak has been solid and has seemed to be a little better in the outfield. And with Gload, all are solid hitters.

DickAllen72
06-26-2006, 05:10 PM
I just hope we didn't wear out the Astros' bullpen for their series with the Tigers.

Soxworldchamps
06-26-2006, 05:17 PM
I just hope we didn't wear out the Astros' bullpen for their series with the Tigers.

Same. It seems like the Tigers play all the teams that the Sox have just finished chewing up.

Anyway, thanks to my lack of ESPN, I went to bed last night with the Sox losing 9-1. This morning, I looked at their website, and I couldn't believe it. Whoever started the Iguchi-bashing thread must be kicking himself repeatdly in the head right now:wink: It was an amazing performance by him. The Astros have got to be one of the only teams that regard Pods and Iguchi as a real hitting threat.

Although it is a shame they lost, I think we can all take heart at the knowledge that in baseball nothing is impossible, even eating up an eight-run defecit to tie the game. The White Sox never cease to amaze :D:

wassagstdu
06-26-2006, 06:39 PM
It must be crushing to stage a miracle comeback and still lose. After all, the only stat that counts is "W". How could this offense have been shut out for four clutch innings? Everyone wanting to be the walk-off hero and swinging from the heels? I hope they (re)learned a lesson.

oeo
06-26-2006, 06:51 PM
It must be crushing to stage a miracle comeback and still lose. After all, the only stat that counts is "W". How could this offense have been shut out for four clutch innings? Everyone wanting to be the walk-off hero and swinging from the heels? I hope they (re)learned a lesson.

Unfortunately, they were going to lose a game eventually. This was a game that should have been lost, and if they would have pulled it out, great; if not, that's alright. They were due for a loss, and I would rather they lose to the Astros than the Pirates or the Flubs. Now they can start a new winning streak tomorrow, and finish off the first half with 13 wins.

Ol' No. 2
06-26-2006, 06:58 PM

.In my experience, games like last nights can actually energize a team. Games where you're never in it are demoralizing, but when you come back from that far, you begin to feel like you can win any game.

Remember the famous Jose Paniagua game against the Twins a couple of years ago? The Sox won that one, but the Twins used it as a springboard to win the next two and cruised the rest of the season.