PDA

View Full Version : Statistic Question

Dan Mega
06-25-2006, 11:31 PM
I really can't find an answer for this online. Maybe I didn't look hard enough? Oh well, with the plethora of knowledge on this site, someone can probably answer my dumb question.

2 outs, runner on third. A ball is hit back to the pitcher but he botches the play, so the runner on third scores.

Is he charged an earned run, or does he get the error and no run is charged to him?

SouthSide_HitMen
06-25-2006, 11:36 PM
I really can't find an answer for this online. Maybe I didn't look hard enough? Oh well, with the plethora of knowledge on this site, someone can probably answer my dumb question.

2 outs, runner on third. A ball is hit back to the pitcher but he botches the play, so the runner on third scores.

Is he charged an earned run, or does he get the error and no run is charged to him?

If the pitcher is charged an error then that run and all subsequent runs scored the remainder of the inning are unearned.

If there is no error charged on the play the scorer may rule it a fielder's choice. If the pitcher who botched the play allowed the runner on 3rd on base he is charged with the run. If he came in to relieve another pitcher who allowed the runner on 3rd to reach safely, the pitcher who allowed the runner would be charged with the run.