PDA

View Full Version : All Star Game commercial = joke

nug0hs
06-25-2006, 08:31 PM
I dont know how many of you have seen it, but the MLB-designed commercial for the All Star game has been showing up on national broadcasts. Similarly, this commercial contains NO White Sox! The commercial follows the typical format of showing several sluggers swinging away. I cant imagine why the MLB would have left out both Thome and Konerko while putting in a bunch of players from teams that are going nowhere. Now that I think of it, does anyone really care about the AS Game in the first place? I probably wont watch much, just the last inning or so to make sure we get home field advantage again in October.

SOXintheBURGH
06-26-2006, 12:04 AM
Does this one show Jeter hitting a pinball?

:cubune:

Jjav829
06-26-2006, 12:06 AM
Speaking of commercials that are a joke...

Does Peter Gammons really sit by himself in Fenway and scream at his cell phone while "watching" the game on it? :?: :smile:

NSSoxFan
06-26-2006, 12:41 AM

Does Peter Gammons really sit by himself in Fenway and scream at his cell phone while "watching" the game on it? :?: :smile:

Yes.

:D:

mcp5185
06-26-2006, 01:49 AM
My brother and I were talking about this commercial earlier. Maybe I'm wrong but I think there is no way Bonds will be in the ASG, and he was in the commercial.

SOX ADDICT '73
06-26-2006, 01:53 AM
Does this one show Jeter hitting a pinball?
Fox continued to air that version of last year's commercial a few days after Pods was voted in. I found it hilarious that they just assumed Jeter was a lock when they shot that.

Tokes
06-26-2006, 09:12 AM
don't care about the commercial but do care about the game since it means home field advantage or not

RKMeibalane
06-26-2006, 09:26 AM

I would imagine that there are several things he does by himself at Fenway. :cool:

Seriously, though, the AS Game is a complete joke. I remember when it used to be the highlight of the baseball season for a lot of fans. People used to look forward to it. Now, people make fun of it because it's become a popularity contest. I really think allowing fans to vote online has ruined the entire selection process.

I'm planning on watching the HR Derby so that I can see how many balls Ryan Howard hits completely out of PNC Park (yes, I think he can do it), and enough of the AS Game to see how the Sox players and other people that I like end up doing, but that's it. I don't need to listen to three hours of Tim McCarver and Joe Buck.

RKMeibalane
06-26-2006, 09:27 AM
Fox continued to air that version of last year's commercial a few days after Pods was voted in. I found it hilarious that they just assumed Jeter was a lock when they shot that.

He's a Yankee, and all Yankees are All Stars by default.

SoxFan78
06-26-2006, 09:31 AM
He's a Yankee, and all Yankees are All Stars by default.

Should that be in teal??

mcfish
06-26-2006, 09:47 AM
I just can't wait until Jim Thome is not invited to participate in the home run derby, because after all, who would want the AL home run leader to be a part of that sort of thing?

1951Campbell
06-26-2006, 09:57 AM
I kind of like the fact that there are no Sox in the ad. It underscores the idea that teams winning championships is what matters, not a single player putting up gaudy numbers but falling short of winning a championship.

skottyj242
06-26-2006, 10:07 AM
Does anyone know what the format for the home run derby is this year? Is it one guy from each country again?

RKMeibalane
06-26-2006, 10:18 AM
I just can't wait until Jim Thome is not invited to participate in the home run derby, because after all, who would want the AL home run leader to be a part of that sort of thing?

I can't until he's left off the AL team, period. As I said earlier, the voting has become a complete joke.

David Ortiz has good numbers, but he doesn't deserve to start over Thome, Konerko, Travis Hafner, Justin Mourneau, or anyone else. It's going to be like 2000 all over again, when Frank wasn't selected.

RKMeibalane
06-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Does anyone know what the format for the home run derby is this year? Is it one guy from each country again?

:tool

"We're going to organize the teams based on what flavor of ice cream players like."

slobes
06-26-2006, 10:23 AM

My friend said that Thome said he wouldn't go even if he were asked, but I'm not sure how reliable he (my friend) is.

RKMeibalane
06-26-2006, 10:25 AM
My friend said that Thome said he wouldn't go even if he were asked, but I'm not sure how reliable he (my friend) is.

A lot of hitters worry about screwing up their swing or timing because of it. That's probably why he doesn't want to go.

MarySwiss
06-26-2006, 10:57 AM

I read this somewhere. I think it was in one of the Chicago online fishwraps. Maybe yesterday. IIRC, Thome said it's more important to make sure he stays healthy for the entire season. I love this guy more every time he opens his mouth! :cool:

SOXPHILE
06-26-2006, 11:01 AM
A lot of hitters worry about screwing up their swing or timing because of it. That's probably why he doesn't want to go.

Exactly. I'd just as soon not see any White Sox participate in that. While it would be nice to see some of our guys put on a show and get more national exposure, we have to look at the big picture on this. We need everybody to be locked in for the rest of the season, and not have somebody's swing/mechanics screwed up for any length of time. Besides, while it is nice "eye candy" to watch these guys launch out batting practice pitches, it became about as meaningless and boring for me as the NBA Slam Dunk Contest did about 10-15 years ago.

ondafarm
06-26-2006, 11:13 AM

I can tell you that as a catcher, there is a huge advantage to catching a pitcher that you will have to hit against later, especially if he is trying to get his special stuff over. As a hitter, I always wanted to face every guy that I could because your second at bat you recall (well, I'd recall) what he'd thrown and it was rare for guys to get me out twice with the same pitch. The exception being 95 + mph fastballs. I could swing at that stuff all day and not square it up (probably why I stayed at AA.)