PDA

View Full Version : Magglio.

FloridaTigers
06-25-2006, 07:57 PM
What do you Sox fans think about him? We all know what Ozzie thinks about Maggs, but I'm curious to see how the Chisoxers think about their former All-Star?

Hitmen77
06-25-2006, 08:09 PM
Here are my thoughts:

- He's an outstanding player and really contributed alot to the Sox during his stay here. He was underrated outside the Sox fan base and was definitely All-Star quality. He seems to have recovered from his injury and is back to being Maggs. But...

- His switching to Boras as his agent and not being very forthcoming about his injury and taking parting shots at the Sox left a bad taste in my mouth.

- The Sox were right to not offer him $15 million/year. With that money, the Sox got Dye, Pierzynski, El Duque, and Iguchi. If we kept Maggs, we would have NOT won the World Series.

That last point is pretty much closes the issue for me. If we kept Maggs - then no World Championship. He looks to be in position to help the Tigers in '06 and beyond, but the '05 season will live in my memory forever. :cool:

fquaye149
06-25-2006, 08:17 PM
He was real ****ing shady when he left the team

a.) getting Boras after saying he "really wanted to stay here" if we would make him a fair offer

b.) turning down our original and very "fair" contract offer

c.) not letting us look at his knee

d.) taking shots at basically everybody after he left.

I had no problem with him before all that stuff. While it was going on it pissed me off. Now, I couldn't really care less. I wouldn't take him over Dye. And I wouldn't trade that '05 WS championship.

Frater Perdurabo
06-25-2006, 08:31 PM
It's too bad for him and for the Sox that he got hurt in 2004; that team could have made the playoffs and done some damage if Maggs and Frank had stayed healthy. But the payroll flexibilty that came from not re-signing him allowed the Sox to assemble the team that won it all.

I hope he leads the Tigers to this year's AL Wild Card and ALCS. :tongue:

beckett21
06-25-2006, 08:44 PM
He burned all of his bridges when he left the way he did, as far as I am concerned.

Screw him and his trick knee...err hernia. :rolleyes:

Trav
06-25-2006, 10:50 PM
I like the guy. He plays the game right. He doesn't show up anyone. Pretty low key guy. Plus, his swing is so sweet it gives me a tooth ache.

The stuff with him leaving... I'm over it. A World Series will do that to ya.

NSSoxFan
06-25-2006, 11:43 PM
What do you Sox fans think about him? We all know what Ozzie thinks about Maggs, but I'm curious to see how the Chisoxers think about their former All-Star?

Please never use this word again.

Epark84
06-25-2006, 11:47 PM
I like maggs. He was the best all around player on this team for a few years. Its a shame the way it ended. Hes a hell of a player, his numbers this year prove that whatever anyone thinks of him. Its good to see him healthy again. I knew hed get back on track. That being said, im very happy with JD

FloridaTigers
06-25-2006, 11:48 PM
Please never use this word again.

I couldn't find the right word to adress a group of White Sox fans. "Sox Fans"?

NSSoxFan
06-25-2006, 11:49 PM
I couldn't find the right word to adress a group of White Sox fans. "Sox Fans"?

Haha, only giving you a hard time. Anything you want to call us is fine, just as long as at the end of the year it's Champs. :D:

SOXintheBURGH
06-26-2006, 12:00 AM
I was a huge fan of his during his tenure, but they way he left town really left a bad taste in my mouth that is still there. He will always be Maggliwhore to me for now on.

Still, he is one of the toughest outs in the AL Central. And his hair looks awesome now.

peeonwrigley
06-26-2006, 12:05 AM
And his hair looks awesome now.

The only comment I was going to post is that he needs a haircut.

oeo
06-26-2006, 12:05 AM
Who's Magglio?

He's dead to me.

LuvSox
06-26-2006, 12:08 AM
Who's Magglio?

He's dead to me.

Sopranos reference? If so, nice!

dickallen15
06-26-2006, 12:16 AM
He's still a great hitter, and decent in RF although he has lost a step or 2. The White Sox would never have won the WS last season if he had signed. He is one of the greatest players in franchise history. My dog is named after him.

Tokes
06-26-2006, 12:23 AM
love the guy cause I got him in the late rounds of my fantasy draft and he is kicking ass

MUsoxfan
06-26-2006, 12:28 AM
Who's Magglio?

He's dead to me.

A year ago today he was dead to me. Now, he's my hero because if he wasn't a greedy prick, we probably wouldn't have won the World Series.

QCIASOXFAN
06-26-2006, 12:32 AM
A year ago today he was dead to me. Now, he's my hero because if he wasn't a greedy prick, we probably wouldn't have won the World Series. Preach on brother!:smile:

FloridaTigers
06-26-2006, 12:40 AM
A year ago today he was dead to me. Now, he's my hero because if he wasn't a greedy prick, we probably wouldn't have won the World Series.

Hey now, if he wasn't a "Greedy prick", we might not be 51-25 today. :cool: You can have your World Series, as long as we have our run at it.

Nellie_Fox
06-26-2006, 02:13 AM
I couldn't find the right word to adress a group of White Sox fans. "Sox Fans"?Yeah, that works. "ChiSoxers" is pretty weak.

bluestar
06-26-2006, 07:36 AM
Here are my thoughts:

- He's an outstanding player and really contributed alot to the Sox during his stay here. He was underrated outside the Sox fan base and was definitely All-Star quality. He seems to have recovered from his injury and is back to being Maggs. But...

- His switching to Boras as his agent and not being very forthcoming about his injury and taking parting shots at the Sox left a bad taste in my mouth.

- The Sox were right to not offer him $15 million/year. With that money, the Sox got Dye, Pierzynski, El Duque, and Iguchi. If we kept Maggs, we would have NOT won the World Series.

That last point is pretty much closes the issue for me. If we kept Maggs - then no World Championship. He looks to be in position to help the Tigers in '06 and beyond, but the '05 season will live in my memory forever. :cool:

These pretty much echo my thoughts on Maggs. I will always have a small soft spot for him in my heart. Many Sox fans were surprised and disappointed in the way he seemed to choose to leave. For whatever reason, it seemed that he was more or less fed up with the Sox organization. Like others said, if the Sox had re-signed him, the team that won last year could not have existed. He won, the Sox won, but it is always tough to see someone so good that came up through your system leave the way he did.

Jose.Contreras
06-26-2006, 07:44 AM
Aw, screw him. He was our best player for 4 consecutive seasons BUT Mgglio thre all that away with his departure here. He and his agent REFUSED to let the Sox check out his knee. They wanted 14 million a season and they wouldn't let the Sox see how healthy he is. That's was an embarrasment, IMO. "Hey, we want 14 MILLION dollars a season for multiple years but I refuse to prove to you that I am healthy and worth that kind of investment. Do we have a deal?"

On top of that Maggs and his agent subsequently slammed the White Sox organization AFTER he finally signed with the Tigers (who took a huge risk). Totally claseless and wrong on Maggs part. He went from my favorite player in baseball to one of my least favorite players. Oh and wht kind of a haircut is that? He looks like Eazy-E circa 1987. That's not a compliment.

With all that said, Magglio is a damn good ball player.

balke
06-26-2006, 07:55 AM
We offered him 14 million to not play for the majority of the next season, and have guaranteed money whether or not he ever played again. Instead he went to the same division for not much more money and talked crap about our team. He was overpriced even if 100% healthy, I'm glad the Sox walked away.

Thome25
06-26-2006, 07:59 AM
I think Maggs is a truly underrated hitter in this game. He will probably always be underrated because he is so low-key. He should be getting the same attention that say, Edgar Martinez got when he played.

He represented the "me-first" era of White Sox baseball. I think that while he was with the Sox he was one of the guys that wasn't "team-first". He was probably one of the guys who was more worried about his personal numbers rather than what was in the W-L column. Another one of the players who comes to mind in that same mold is Carlos Lee. There are a couple of others who I don't want to bash in this thread.

Personally I'm glad he's gone. We didn't need him and we especially didn't need the circus that surrounded him after he left. We used the money we saved to sign a bunch of good team-oriented players. The rest is history.

The Tigers can have him.

Uncle_Patrick
06-26-2006, 08:26 AM
I liked Maggs a lot when he played for the Sox. I had a feeling that he would have been gone when his contract was up even prior to his injury. It just seemed to me like he was looking for a team who was more in the spotlight than the White Sox were. I was annoyed that, after he signed with the Tigers, he started acting like he would have loved to stay with the Sox but the organization wasn't fair to him or some crap like that. But I'm passed that now, he's just another player on another team to me. I wish him luck unless its at the White Sox expense.

Hitmen77
06-26-2006, 08:39 AM
Hey now, if he wasn't a "Greedy prick", we might not be 51-25 today. :cool: You can have your World Series, as long as we have our run at it.

.....except that the team the Sox built thanks to Magglio's greed gave us a world series AND a run at another. It's not a done deal yet that spending $15 million on Maggs will win the Tigers anything.

Even in 2006, I would still say that the Sox are better off without Maggs because Jermaine Dye has been just as good if not better, plus we still have AJ and Iguchi, who we never would have signed if we gave all that money to one player. My only regret is that Maggs signed with a division rival.

Risk
06-26-2006, 08:45 AM
My opinion of Magglio:

Wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

Risk

oeo
06-26-2006, 09:12 AM
Well, the 2005 White Sox did not have the 2006 White Sox standing in their way. The Tigers still have 3 months before they can make a run at a championship.

MadetoOrta
06-26-2006, 09:55 AM

Don't get too far ahead of yourself. I did that last year [10+ game lead in August] only to sweat it out through a stress-filled late August and September.

Frankly Missing
06-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Magglio will wear your uniform, play the game, but will never be part of your team.

We made excuses for years for his lack of involvement. Turns out, he just isn't interested in aligning himself with a team, a city or the fans.

He punches the clock and goes home.

bluestar
06-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Magglio will wear your uniform, play the game, but will never be part of your team.

We made excuses for years for his lack of involvement. Turns out, he just isn't interested in aligning himself with a team, a city or the fans.

I think there is a lot of truth in these statements. Magglio will give you his best when he is on the field, but he is not a true team player. There is nothing wrong with that, but it is something fans of the Tigers need to understand if they don't already.

PatK
06-26-2006, 11:08 AM
I realized he wasn't as good in the field as I thought he was when he was here.

He dove at way too many balls instead of playing them on the bounce, a la a young Sammy Sosa.

MarySwiss
06-26-2006, 11:20 AM

Well, I for one will be surprised if he stays off the DL the rest of the way.

And speaking of "Greedy pricks," sorry to rain on your parade, but a lot of us Sox fans plan on celebrating a second straight World Series title this year. :cool:

BTW, "Chisoxers" is not good. "Sox Army" or just plain ol' "Sox fans" both work.

Gremlin3
06-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Here are my thoughts:

I could not have said it better myself

palehozenychicty
06-26-2006, 11:33 AM

True dat.

buehrle4cy05
06-26-2006, 11:33 AM
:dye:
"Who?"

mccoydp
06-26-2006, 11:51 AM
I really enjoyed watching him play when he was with the Sox. I still have his bobblehead with my Sox memorabilia collection. He was, and is, and great natural hitter and a very good, all-around athlete.

That being said, I'm glad he's with the Tiggers, because the Sox got so much more in return.

JUribe1989
06-26-2006, 12:04 PM
He hit some of the most exciting HR's I can remember early in that 2004 season and all during 2003, but he was a complete ass when he left by leaving the country for treatment and expecting the Sox to give him so much money when they were willing to still re-sign him. I appreciate what he did for the team, but he was never involved in a team that really did anything, and I don't think he will ever be a major part of a team that excels in the postseason.

South Side
06-26-2006, 12:07 PM
I really enjoyed watching him play when he was with the Sox. I still have his bobblehead with my Sox memorabilia collection. He was, and is, and great natural hitter and a very good, all-around athlete.

That being said, I'm glad he's with the Tiggers, because the Sox got so much more in return.

I decapitated my Magglio bobblehead. :cool:

mccoydp
06-26-2006, 12:20 PM
I decapitated my Magglio bobblehead. :cool:

:o:

What did you do with the head?

Zisk77
06-26-2006, 04:14 PM
Tiger fan I'm sure you will be able to appreciate what about to say. The one thing that drove me nuts about Maggs when he was here is that he would come up with one out and runners on the corners and hit a five hopper double play. He would NEVER run hard out of the box despite the fact that Maggs had better than average speed. Frank Thomas (before the injuries) would beat the relay and get and RBI FC. Same thing on infield hits. Frank would get a few Maggs no. Maggs is about as automatic dp as Konerko is if he hits a gounder. Difference is Paulie can't run Maggs can.

PennStater98r
06-26-2006, 06:01 PM
As mentioned prior in this thread - Mags is a All-Star outfielder. He's having an All-Star year this year.

That said, never burn your bridges - you never know when you're going to need to cross them again. I have a feeling, that if he had not been a prick after leaving the Sox and criticizing them - he'd be an All Star reserve this year. Instead, I have a feeling that a Ivan might be the only Kitty to represent at the All Star game.

Now you Detroit fans can see what it's like to have a deserving Right Fielder not make the All Star team year and again - ala Ozzie.

SOXSINCE'70
06-26-2006, 08:07 PM
You can have your World Series, as long as we have our run at it.

Don't hold your breath.Let's see how your 'pen and young SP's
hold up in the second half.And BTW,don't Rodriguez,Carlos Guillen
and "Gagglio" have a history of being injury prone??

South Side
06-26-2006, 10:28 PM
:o:

What did you do with the head?

I'm not really sure... it's around here somewhere. :D: or maybe... :?:

Brian26
06-26-2006, 10:41 PM
It's too bad for him and for the Sox that he got hurt in 2004; that team could have made the playoffs and done some damage if Maggs and Frank had stayed healthy.

I doubt that team would have gone far. The catching was Davis/Burke. We still had Valentin at SS. The pitching past Buehrle and Garcia was shaky (Contreras and Garland were not their 2005 versions yet). The bullpen was totally hittable. That team would have been another 2000-type loss in the first round.

Not making the playoffs in '04 was a blessing in disguise. It gave KW the leverage to blow the team up and start over with Ozzie's image.

TaylorStSox
06-26-2006, 10:47 PM
I loved him when he played for us. Then, we offered him, IMO, a bloated contract. He turned it down and demanded "Vlad money." Sorry Magglio. You're not Vlad. You will never be Vlad. You don't deserve "Vlad money." He bit the hand that feeds and, frankly, good riddance.

Honestly, I wish him the best though.

Dick Allen
06-26-2006, 10:50 PM
**** Magglio and his slimy agent.

TDog
06-27-2006, 03:26 AM
The odd thing is that for years I had faith that Ordonez and Thomas would lead the Sox to the World Series. Even at their best together in 2000, Seattle came to town in October and they disappeared. Both might still be on the Sox if not for injuries at key times. But when they weren't in the lineup anymore the Sox, well, won the World Series.

There were other changes to the Sox, particularly with the pitching, but the entire team played so much better without them. Sox fans worshiped Ordonez, and Ordonez, much more than Thomas, when it was over let the fans know he didn't care. He was replaced by a man who was offered more money to play elsewhere after verbally agreeing to sign with the Sox. And Jermaine Dye simply said he promised these guys he would play right field for them. He didn't promise to drive in the only run of Game 4 with 2 out in the 8th. He just went out and earned the fans' adoration.

Maybe Ordonez has matured, taking a look at how the Sox emerged without him. I enjoyed watching him play, but I don't miss him.

ozziesox13
06-27-2006, 10:15 PM
I think he is a mercenary more concerned about getting paid than playing. Seriously, Konerko had a similar $70+ million over five years offer from Baltimore - very much like the one Maggs eventually signed with the Tigers, but Konerko chose to play for the White Sox and signed at $60 million over five years.

Ordonez was offered the same money as Konerko over five years, but I'm not sure weather or not he and Ozzie was the reason he did not sign with the Sox. Still, I did find it ironic and must have been painful for Maggs to watch his replacement Jermaine Dye win the World Series MVP the year after Maggs left the Sox. I'm sure the White Sox clinching the division at Comerica didn't please Maggs much either.

Maggs is on a winning team now, but he could have signed with a team that was much closer than the Tigers were at the time to winning. I think Maggs cared more about the money than winning.

pearso66
06-27-2006, 10:28 PM
I loved Maggs when he was here, but as many stated, the way he left, it left a bad taste in my mouth. When I heard the Sox offered him 14 mil a year over 5 years, I was ticked. I thought at that point that he wasn't worth that kind of money, he obviously thought he was worth more, and turned it down. Thank you for that Maggs. Now I don't really care about him anymore, we have a RFer that is just as good as Maggs, and makes about 1/3 the money. Oh yeah, and he has something Maggs doesn't yet have, a World Series ring.

Nellie_Fox
06-28-2006, 12:45 AM
Oh yeah, and he has something Maggs doesn't yet have, a World Series ring.Not to mention a WS MVP award.

ewokpelts
06-28-2006, 12:48 AM
What do you Sox fans think about him? We all know what Ozzie thinks about Maggs, but I'm curious to see how the Chisoxers think about their former All-Star?who?

hawkjt
06-28-2006, 11:57 AM
like most sox fans, I really loved maggs. He had such a sweet stroke, played a solid right field, was a true underdog that was not even drafted and worked his way up to superstar status. He seemed very humble, never caused trouble , quiet but friendly.

That fateful nite he hurt his knee changed everything. He wanted to get paid and the sox did nothing wrong by him. He earned 14 million that last season and did not play after the injury. Like many sox fans , I thought that fact alone would make him feel like he should take a fair offer.

I will blame boras for the squeeze but I know maggs went along.
I still admire his swing but I hope he does not end up beating the sox ever.

It is ironic that I read today that Carlos Lee wants a 5 year 75 million dollar deal also. maggs and clee- always together in the old days and still together.

But I still like CLee and hey, that is the going price. Hope he does not end up with the cubs. That was my fear with maggs. Stay in the NL, Clee, please.

Law11
06-28-2006, 01:58 PM
You said it. Former....
He had great seasons here but that was then.

Frankfan4life
06-28-2006, 03:15 PM
I really hate seeing good players leave the Sox in bad ways. I would have loved to have Maggs stay with the Sox, but like a lot of us I wasn't 100% sure that he would be healthy. However, Maggs will always be one of my favorite Sox players.

russ99
06-28-2006, 03:34 PM
After the way he left the ballclub, there's no love lost between me and Magglio. In fact, the Tigers are a much more annoying team to me with him in the lineup.

I just hope that doctor in Austria fixed him up good, cause I could have sworn his injury would have limited him in the future.

greenpeach
06-28-2006, 05:59 PM
I think he is a mercenary more concerned about getting paid than playing. Seriously, Konerko had a similar $70+ million over five years offer from Baltimore - very much like the one Maggs eventually signed with the Tigers, but Konerko chose to play for the White Sox and signed at $60 million over five years.

Ordonez was offered the same money as Konerko over five years, but I'm not sure weather or not he and Ozzie was the reason he did not sign with the Sox. Still, I did find it ironic and must have been painful for Maggs to watch his replacement Jermaine Dye win the World Series MVP the year after Maggs left the Sox. I'm sure the White Sox clinching the division at Comerica didn't please Maggs much either.

Maggs is on a winning team now, but he could have signed with a team that was much closer than the Tigers were at the time to winning. I think Maggs cared more about the money than winning.

Isn't Scott Boras his agent ? That about says it all. No need for further discussion.