PDA

View Full Version : Pride Parade -- Sox fans

jenn2080
06-25-2006, 07:42 PM
I just got back from the Pride Parade. One of the first 10 floats had a bunch of people with Sox shirts(maybe 3 people) that were rainbow color sox logo that said I am a big Gay Sox fan. I also saw a lot of people with Sox shirts and hats on.

pdimas
06-25-2006, 07:46 PM
Wow does that parade tie up traffic or what? I had no idea it was so big. It took me an hour and a half to get from Wrigleyville to Old Town by train today. Something that would normally take about 15 to 20 minutes. I was gonna take a taxi but figured it would take longer. My roommate said it took her 3 hours to get home.

RadioheadRocks
06-25-2006, 07:54 PM
I just got back from the Pride Parade. One of the first 10 floats had a bunch of people with Sox shirts(maybe 3 people) that were rainbow color sox logo that said I am a big Gay Sox fan. I also saw a lot of people with Sox shirts and hats on.

That's good to see! Especially in light of Moronotti claiming on AROUND THE HORN a few days ago that "the gay community wants Ozzie's head". Nothing like having yet another Moronotti myth shot to hell! :D:

jenn2080
06-25-2006, 08:07 PM
That's good to see! Especially in light of Moronotti claiming on AROUND THE HORN a few days ago that "the gay community wants Ozzie's head". Nothing like having yet another Moronotti myth shot to hell! :D:

There was one sign on a float that said Ozzie Sox my blank..............
Otherwise Id say that not one person cared. My cousins and there friends Love Ozzie and they were yelling at the person with the Bad Ozzie sign. It was good to see all Sox stuff represented.

Beer Can Chicken
06-25-2006, 10:08 PM
What a joke and a waste of traffic, "Pride parade." There's no "straight pride" parade or anything like that. I don't care what someone's sexual preferance is but there's no need to go around flaunting it or having a parade, just my opinion. I'm sure I'll piss off some ppl. and be called a homophobe or some other stupid name but I just think parades like that are a joke and a waste...

Now that the Southside Irish parade has been fully exploited and commcerialized, the Pride parade is probably the best parade in the city.

jenn2080
06-25-2006, 10:10 PM
Now that the Southside Irish parade has been fully exploited and commcerialized, the Pride parade is probably the best parade in the city.

Right. Anyways this was not suppose to be about the parade it was about the fact that after all the stuff there was tons of Sox fans showing their support.

mbwhitesox
06-25-2006, 10:18 PM
I thought the parade was a cool idea, but man was that thing LOUD. I live on Diversey and could see the parade right from my window. It seemed like every float was playing music at full blast. I also saw the guys in the Sox shirts at the beginning of the parade which I definitely thought was cool! :thumbsup:

getonbckthr
06-26-2006, 01:02 AM
Personally I hate Parades and wish they would no longer exist. Whether its Gay Pride, St Pats (yes I am Irish) or even the Thanksgiving Day PArade I think they should all be done away with. If they insist on having parades then start having a Straight Parade, On Thanksgiving when Santa Claus comes out you better start having other religions celebrated on the same float. If March 17th is good enough for a parade then May 5th better have 2 for Cinco De Mayo and a parade for me and my fellow polocks. Now the White Sox victory celebration Parade is different. That was there to celebrate on occurence that we haven't seen in 90 years. I don't want people seeing this as a homophobic post cause it isn't. Nor do I want people thinking I am anti-christians, hell i'm a Catholic. I just don't feel its appropriate to celebrate a single group of people. If you want to have a Parade for the City to celebrate our city thats fine, Memorial Day is fine being that its a way to remember our fallen soldiers, everything else I feel has to go.

SOXintheBURGH
06-26-2006, 01:08 AM
Personally I hate Parades and wish they would no longer exist. Whether its Gay Pride, St Pats (yes I am Irish) or even the Thanksgiving Day PArade I think they should all be done away with. If they insist on having parades then start having a Straight Parade, On Thanksgiving when Santa Claus comes out you better start having other religions celebrated on the same float. If March 17th is good enough for a parade then May 5th better have 2 for Cinco De Mayo and a parade for me and my fellow polocks. Now the White Sox victory celebration Parade is different. That was there to celebrate on occurence that we haven't seen in 90 years. I don't want people seeing this as a homophobic post cause it isn't. Nor do I want people thinking I am anti-christians, hell i'm a Catholic. I just don't feel its appropriate to celebrate a single group of people. If you want to have a Parade for the City to celebrate our city thats fine, Memorial Day is fine being that its a way to remember our fallen soldiers, everything else I feel has to go.

And talk about the lame balloons, too. Rusty the Clown? The Noid?

areilly
06-26-2006, 01:57 AM
Just got back from that parade a couple hours ago. Great party, I'll say that. Boystown definitely knows hows to be an excellent host.

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-26-2006, 02:14 AM
Just got back from that parade a couple hours ago. Great party, I'll say that. Boystown definitely knows hows to be an excellent host.

:?::?::?:

areilly
06-26-2006, 02:23 AM
:?::?::?:

You have to remember, all I have to compare it to is the Wicker Park Arts Festival...which sucks on an annual basis.

The Pride parade was a party scene like I haven't seen outside of the south side Irish parade in quite some time...tons of people drinking it up, having a good time all around the neighborhood. Like a better-dressed version of Mardi Gras.

I'm glad I went, that's all.

HotelWhiteSox
06-26-2006, 02:33 AM

Except World Championship parades, those things are sweet :D:

RealMenWearBlack
06-26-2006, 02:40 AM
Personally I hate Parades and wish they would no longer exist. Whether its Gay Pride, St Pats (yes I am Irish) or even the Thanksgiving Day PArade I think they should all be done away with. If they insist on having parades then start having a Straight Parade, On Thanksgiving when Santa Claus comes out you better start having other religions celebrated on the same float. If March 17th is good enough for a parade then May 5th better have 2 for Cinco De Mayo and a parade for me and my fellow polocks. Now the White Sox victory celebration Parade is different. That was there to celebrate on occurence that we haven't seen in 90 years.

I pretty much agree with everything that you said, but I love Fourth of July parades.

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-26-2006, 03:07 AM
You have to remember, all I have to compare it to is the Wicker Park Arts Festival...which sucks on an annual basis.

The Pride parade was a party scene like I haven't seen outside of the south side Irish parade in quite some time...tons of people drinking it up, having a good time all around the neighborhood. Like a better-dressed version of Mardi Gras.

I'm glad I went, that's all.
ah

spiffie
06-26-2006, 03:38 AM
http://www.chipublib.org/003cpl/onebook_night/images/daley.jpg
Well, I would normally go with what a couple hundred thousand of people like and enjoy, but since getonbckthr says he's tired of parades I guess I have to get rid of them.

The Critic
06-26-2006, 04:10 AM
Except World Championship parades, those things are sweet :D:

But if you're gonna have a World Championship parade, you damn well better have a 5th-place parade for the other team in town, too!!!!
:D:

C-Dawg
06-26-2006, 07:57 AM
I saw a guy with a Cotts jersey - anyone from here? It wasn't Neal....

Palehose13
06-26-2006, 10:39 AM
Glad to hear that you had a good time. I am not a big fan of parades, not because of what they represent, but because I have a thing about being stuck in crowds and I think they are pretty boring. I have been to Chicago Pride once or twice and it is a pretty good party. We have "Pridefest" here in Milwaukee. It is 3 days (it was just June 9th-11th) at the Summerfest grounds and I like that better. Lots of shows, some big name performers, local bands, etc. and a festival atmosphere.

It is nice to see that the gay Sox fans were represented. Unfortunatley, many think that all gay people like the cubs...they even have t-shirts telling others! :wink:

jenn2080
06-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Glad to hear that you had a good time. I am not a big fan of parades, not because of what they represent, but because I have a thing about being stuck in crowds and I think they are pretty boring. I have been to Chicago Pride once or twice and it is a pretty good party. We have "Pridefest" here in Milwaukee. It is 3 days (it was just June 9th-11th) at the Summerfest grounds and I like that better. Lots of shows, some big name performers, local bands, etc. and a festival atmosphere.

It is nice to see that the gay Sox fans were represented. Unfortunatley, many think that all gay people like the cubs...they even have t-shirts telling others! :wink:

Ya I have heard that Pride Fest up there is good times. The parade is always good times in Boystown. I was a bit tired of seeing the political floats though. It was boring. But all and all my family and friends and I had a blast as always.

PatK
06-26-2006, 10:54 AM
I have a condo just off the parade route, and the parade is kind of a pain for the neighborhood if you need to get around.

The myth about gay people being clean and neat freaks is dispelled when you see how much cleanup they have to do afterwards- everywhere is trashed.

I bought my place in 1995, and the parade has changed. It's totally politicized compared to 10 years ago.

There's also a lot more straight people in it and attending it. That started around 1997-1998 when it became "hip" to be gay- that was when Ellen came out and gays were popping up all over on TV.

It kinda toned the parade down a bit, IMO.

jenn2080
06-26-2006, 11:00 AM
wow i am sorry i even posted this since this has became a bitch fest about the parade instead of Oh good to see the Sox fans not caring and showing support after all the **** that has went on this week.

Palehose13
06-26-2006, 11:52 AM
wow i am sorry i even posted this since this has became a bitch fest about the parade instead of Oh good to see the Sox fans not caring and showing support after all the **** that has went on this week.

Nah...it's a good thread, bt some people need to bitch. It's like breathing to them.

btw...did you start this in WTS or was it moved? Seems like it could have been in the PL.

itsnotrequired
06-26-2006, 12:01 PM
The myth about gay people being clean and neat freaks is dispelled when you see how much cleanup they have to do afterwards- everywhere is trashed.

Its a freakin' outdoor parade. You could have a housekeepers parade and it will look like Hell afterwards. Remember how dirty those Sox fans left the streets after the WS parade?:wink:

Tokes
06-26-2006, 12:02 PM
PH13 edit: This is your final warning. Keep up with this **** and you won't be back until well after the All Star break.