PDA

View Full Version : Great article every sports owner should read

caulfield12
06-25-2006, 05:15 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0625moreno0625.html

hsnterprize
06-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Yes...an EXCELLENT article. Even though Jerry Reisndorf and Brooks Boyer are pretty popular now, it wouldn't hurt for them to check this out...and possibly apply a couple of those ideas for the Cell. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt folks to pay LESS for beer. Or better yet...what's wrong with "an affordable cap" for the kids?

SOXSINCE'70
06-25-2006, 05:39 PM
I'm sure it wouldn't hurt folks to pay LESS for beer.

I'd just appreciate being able to pay under $3.00 for a kosher
hot dog or a bottle of Diet Pepsi.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Sox concession prices (including beer) are higher this season in comparison with The Urinal. :o:

MUsoxfan
06-25-2006, 06:54 PM
Sox concession prices (including beer) are higher this season in comparison with The Urinal. :o:

The small price to pay for defending a World Championship. If they win, I'll pay

SouthSide_HitMen
06-25-2006, 07:45 PM
The small price to pay for defending a World Championship. If they win, I'll pay

That wasn't the point of my post (bitching about the prices). My post was an observation in response to the article and posts by hsnterprize & SOXSINCE'70.

The article discussed how the Angels owner reversed the four decade old second class status of the Angels in the Los Angeles market. One of the ways this was accomplished was by lowering the concession costs (and keeping them low) and caps for kids (the beancounters said it was a bad idea but 60,000 happy kids with new Angels caps who wanted to return to the park in the future said otherwise).

The Sox still offer family friendly discounts on Monday and select Sunday home games which is great. The World Series did a lot but for the White Sox to reclaim the majority of Chicago's baseball fans as they had in the 1950s and early 1960s they will need to expand the base and one way to do that is by making games / concessions affordable for fans who can only attend a game or two a year. The Cubs will never do this (they don't even have a kids fan club - one of a handful of MLB teams that do not). The White Sox need to continue their tradition of making select games affordable in order to keep and grow their base with children (the next generation of fans) being the top priority while also generating enough revenue to keep winning.

It is a tough balancing act but something Moreno has done well in his short time in Anaheim. He increased the net worth of his team by over $100 million (in six years his minor league team which was purchased for $150,000 sold for $1.75 million), drew 3 million fans in 2003 (for the first time) and has increased attendance every year since and has increased the size of annual broadcast revenue from $12 million / year to $50 million / year. Expanding the fanbase is how you do that. Winning in 2005 expanded the base tremendously but this work should be constant and relentless.

wdelaney72
06-25-2006, 07:51 PM
I visited Anaheim's ballpark this year and can honestly say, I've NEVER experienced a more accomodating, and friendly workforce. All of the vendors, ushers, and other employees were on a level I've never experienced. THAT, is something other clubs should take notice of.

gbergman
06-26-2006, 02:04 AM
arte moreno is great met him at he national sports bar and grill after the final white sox angel game. He bought me a drink, cause i came up to him and shook his hand and said thanks for what you have done to the angel stadium. Angel stadium is a great place to watch a game very friendly to opposing team fans except the dodgers and a's. Only find a few bitter halo fans over there but i keep a low profile so maybe thats why they are nice. i go all the time with my friend whose family has season tickets for free. pretty fun time