PDA

View Full Version : new book should clear Shoeless Joe (NY Daily News)

Fenway
06-25-2006, 03:53 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/col/story/429634p-362241c.html

a new book that sheds new light on the plight of "Shoeless Joe" Jackson is worth the commissioner's attention in what little spare time he finds these days. If he does give it a read, and he is able to get past the rather scathing indictment of his own in-house historian, longtime Chicago sportswriter Jerome Holtzman, Selig might feel compelled to reexamine the lifetime ban (and Hall-of-Fame ineligibility) imposed on Jackson for his alleged participation in the 1919 World Series fix by the Chicago White Sox.

soxfan43
06-25-2006, 04:11 PM
This book looks like it should be a good read. I'll definitely check it out next time I'm near a bookstore. If anyone has read it or is reading it, please let us know if this book is worth it.

Unregistered
06-25-2006, 04:45 PM
The fact is Comiskey clearly knew a lot more about the fix in its aftermath than Jackson did - and chose to do nothing so as not to jeopardize his team for 1920. And Landis, empowered by the owners to take whatever measures he deemed necessary to cleanse the game that had become rife with gambling, ignored all of this in throwing the eight accused (though court-exonerated) White Sox players out of the game for life in 1921 without so much as a hearing. In his "eviction edict" Landis stated: "No player who throws a ballgame, no player that sits in conference with a bunch of crooked ballplayers and gamblers where the ways and means of throwing games are discussed and does not promptly tell his club about it, will ever play professional baseball."Hmm... makes you wonder if the White Sox would even exist if (as the book claims) Comiskey had something to do with it and got caught. The way they were trying to wipe the gamblers out with this "witch hunt" mentality, they might have just folded the whole franchise...

KRS1
06-25-2006, 05:34 PM
The article wont open for me, what is the name of the book?

MarySwiss
06-25-2006, 05:37 PM
The article wont open for me, what is the name of the book?

"Burying The Black Sox - How Baseball's Cover-up of the 1919 World Series Fix Almost Succeeded"

KRS1
06-25-2006, 05:40 PM
"Burying The Black Sox - How Baseball's Cover-up of the 1919 World Series Fix Almost Succeeded"

Thanks a bunch.

Fuller_Schettman
06-25-2006, 06:26 PM
Hmm... makes you wonder if the White Sox would even exist if Comiskey had something to with it and got caught. The way they were trying to wipe the gamblers out with this "witch hunt" mentality, they might have just folded the whole franchise...

Wow, that is a stunning thought.

I guess we'd all be a bunch of Tigers fans then! :cool:

TheDarkGundam
06-25-2006, 06:33 PM
Wow, that is a stunning thought.

I guess we'd all be a bunch of Tigers fans then! :cool:
Or...ugh, I don't even wanna think about it.

Anyway, this sounds like it might be a good book.

Max Power
06-25-2006, 10:57 PM
Hmm... makes you wonder if the White Sox would even exist if (as the book claims) Comiskey had something to do with it and got caught. The way they were trying to wipe the gamblers out with this "witch hunt" mentality, they might have just folded the whole franchise...

Good point. With all I've read about the Black Sox scandal that never occurred to me, but it's definitely realistic.
And that would suck.

Soxfest
06-26-2006, 12:17 AM
It will not change Selig's mad:mad:

vegyrex
06-26-2006, 12:23 AM
Excellent! I'll have to find that book at my library. :smile:

vegyrex
06-26-2006, 12:24 AM
It will not change Selig's mad:mad:

Unfortunately you're probably right. :(:

TornLabrum
06-26-2006, 08:48 AM
I certainly wish Jackson's supporters would be a little less over-the-top than the writer of this book review. He says Holtzman ignored facts in his indictment of Jackson in his report to Selig (which he did). However, he then does the same thing to indict Landis, talking about baseball attendance dropping from 9120 per game in 1920 when Landis took office (peacetime) to 8772 in 1944 when Landis died (wartime with many adult males, the majority of game attendees, overseas in the military).