PDA

View Full Version : KW responds to the Ozzie situation

cbrownson13
06-24-2006, 09:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2499675

Didn't see this anywhere...

This all needs to come to an end quickly. I don't like the direction this is taking. I just don't want Ozzie taking KW's comments the wrong way and respond idiotically or do something that will end his tenure with the White Sox much sooner than it should be.

caracascat
06-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Ozzie will be around for a long time. My advice to the Sox IGNORE MARROTTI. This is a man that is disrespected everywhere, we have made him a victim. It is time we ignored him, our reactions give him life. I mean he mornonically compared us to Al Davis's Raiders,like we are some bad bunch. We all know our players are class people.

Play, win, repeat, and boycott the suntimes. a flea eventually gets slapped away

oeo
06-24-2006, 10:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2499675

Didn't see this anywhere...

This all needs to come to an end quickly. I don't like the direction this is taking. I just don't want Ozzie taking KW's comments the wrong way and respond idiotically or do something that will end his tenure with the White Sox much sooner than it should be.

KW would be stupid to ever fire Ozzie. Ozzie will be around for how ever long he feels like sticking around.

RadioheadRocks
06-24-2006, 10:06 PM
Did anyone else here see PTI (Pardon The Interruption) yesterday afternoon? They did a "what are the odds" feature and among their topics was "the odds of Ozzie Guillen still being White Sox manager 5 years from now": both of them said 0% (???!!!???!!!). :angry:

oeo
06-24-2006, 10:11 PM
Did anyone else here see PTI (Pardon The Interruption) yesterday afternoon? They did a "what are the odds" feature and among their topics was "the odds of Ozzie Guillen still being White Sox manager 5 years from now": both of them said 0% (???!!!???!!!). :angry:
Why, exactly, does that make you angry? The only way I see Ozzie leaving, is if he gets sick and tired of the way the media and everyone else treats him. Otherwise, he will be hear a very long time. Who cares what they say, it's their opinion.

buehrle4cy05
06-24-2006, 10:11 PM
As long as Ozzie continues to win, he isn't going anywhere. End of story.

RadioheadRocks
06-24-2006, 10:15 PM
Why, exactly, does that make you angry? The only way I see Ozzie leaving, is if he gets sick and tired of the way the media and everyone else treats him. Otherwise, he will be hear a very long time.

Mainly because both dillweeds based their knee-jerk judgment solely on the media circus going on right now, not his performance as a manager.

BadgerChisox
06-24-2006, 10:24 PM
I use to watch the show. I refuse to give that man publicity. Since no one on that show stand up to marriotti, I will not watch it again. And Yes, Ignore him, It just gives him what he wants, Publicity.

VenturaIsAGod
06-24-2006, 10:36 PM
In my opinion, KW had to come out and say something because of pressure from upstairs (Reinsdorf or even Selig), and he definitely can't say he supports Ozzie's statements for obvious reasons. But I certainly do not think he'll fire Ozzie for any of the slightly offensive statements he makes. Kenny has been known for his mouth as well, so I think he understands Ozzie as well as anyone. In response to the PTI comments, it's naive to think that any coach in today's pro sports will be around for more than five years, but I definitely think the chances are a little more than 0%.

wassagstdu
06-24-2006, 10:47 PM
"If it continues on, the likelihood [increases] that maybe one day I'll have to walk into the office and deliver some bad news and announce a new manager. That's just the reality of the situation."

KW says this with the Sox having won 9 straight and playing the best baseball in franchise history -- under a manager who led them to the first championship in 88 years? Say what you want about Ozzie, but THAT is a truly ridiculous statement. Let's break up this team because it's not politically correct enough. Give me a break. Sending Ozzie to sensitivity training is, literally, a joke. KW slapping his manager down in public is a farce.

HotelWhiteSox
06-24-2006, 10:53 PM
This situation was dieing down, Ozzie did his apology and said he'd do the training and talked to Selig, and now KW gives ESPN a reason to drag out the story more. Reinsdorf already commented on the situation and he's the head honcho. KW should've stayed in Charlotte imo (as reported by the Score when they went up to him that he cut his trip in Charlotte short because of the situation to come comment on it).

Frankfan4life
06-24-2006, 10:58 PM
According to today's Sun-Times, KW is quoted as saying this about Ozzie:

The thing I get concerned about more than anything is my brother going down a road that doesn't lend itself to longevity. It's more about protecting my friend, and he realizes it....in the remorse he showed me, not toward the target of his comments, but his choice of language.

I'll walk through a wall for him, and a lot of his friends would say the same thing. He knows it.I don't know when the above comments were made, but, obviously, KW and Jerry have talked to Ozzie and I'm sure Ozzie has a pretty good understanding about where he stands.

It's important for the org to do and say what's pc. Anything less, would be detrimental to Ozzie as well as the Sox.

thomas35forever
06-24-2006, 11:19 PM
Hopefully, this'll be the last time we hear any controversy out of Ozzie for awhile. If Happy Gilmore could control his emotions, so can Ozzie.

BainesHOF
06-24-2006, 11:19 PM
First of all, it wasn't the media which used a homosexual slur.

Secondly, winning doesn't mean you can do and say anything.

TheOldRoman
06-24-2006, 11:27 PM

Secondly, winning doesn't mean you can do and say anything. First of all, :rolleyes:.

Secondly, see Dennis Rodman, Terrell Owens, Rickey Henderson, et. al.

I think Kenny had a long talk with Ozzie before he made this statement. Ozzie knows where he stands. KW just had to come out and look tough to silence some of the critics.

oeo
06-24-2006, 11:36 PM

Secondly, winning doesn't mean you can do and say anything.

I'll let him say as much as he wants, as long as they're winning. Ozzie is the best manager in baseball, period. I don't care what anyone says, it's his 3rd year and he's already the best, and he's getting better every year. If Kenny wants to continue to win, he better keep the Ozzman.

jehosaphat
06-24-2006, 11:57 PM

I saw it at the Health Club.

First things first. These guys are paid to say something, whether or not they know anything or not. They have to have an opinoin about everything. Although it would be refreshing to hear someone say "I'm not really sure" or "I don't know enough about that to give a thoughtful opinion" it is not what these guys on this particular show are paid to do.

If I understood their arguments, they feel (a) Ozzie is a loose cannon (one guy called him a loose nuclear weapon) and (b) Ozzie is narrow minded.

On the first point, they are somewhat correct. Ozzie is not a loose cannon, but he is blowsy. He says things without thinking and he is naive about interacting with the media.

On the second point, none of us can look into the soul of another human being and make difinitive judgments about their true attitudes and character. The ESPN guys were very confident that they knew exactly the type of person Ozzie is, but one comment doesn't make a man. I think that people like myself who have followed him for 20 plus years are in a better position (let alone people who really know him) to assess his character than the ESPN guys who hop from story to story from week to week. Ozzie is a lot more than a guy who used a derogatory term when angry. My impression is that he is a very decent human being. He's warm. He laughs at himself and although he takes his work seriously he does not take himself overly seriously, which is great in this age of professional sports. He is a great competitor who understands the game should be fun. I seriously doubt that Ozzie has put a lot of thought into the plight of people with different sexual orientations and I don't think he is the kind of person that holds any particular grudges or prejudices against any group of people.

So, why did he use a derogratory term? Probably because he wasn't thinking and also because he is still aculturating to the USA and didn't realize how offensive some people would find the term to be.

As long as Ozzie doesn't say anything else stupid, he'll be OK in the short and long run. If asked about the "incident" he can reply that "I made a mistake. I didn't intend to hurt anyone. I have nothing against anyone. Now I know not to use that word to insult people and I regret having said it" and that can be that. After all, it is not as if he went into a tirade against gay people.

I think KW response was "right on". Like many successful people Ozzie is probably a very confident and therefore somewhat hard headed person, and he needs to understand that the "next time" would be a very big deal. Ozzie is a colorful, great baseball personality. It would be a shame if his reputation goes down in history as this "Archie Bunker" character, because that is not who he is and not how he should be remembered. I have far more confidence in him than the ESPN guys. I don't think there will be a "next time" and I think he will be managing the Sox 5 years from now.

billyvsox
06-25-2006, 12:03 AM
I for one would like to see this story do away, despite the winning streak this is becoming a distraction and the Sox are now being viewed nationally with alot of negativity.

The story needs to be our quest to repeat, great seasons by Crede, Contreras, Pk, Dye, Thome etc.. and the renewed buzz on the south side.

The story has become "Ozzie is crazy".

Now, while we all know that Ozzie IS crazy, its time for the players to start getting some pub. I wish Ozzie could just suck it up and apologize to all, say he made a mistake, that baseball is his life - blah-blah-blah, and say it won't happen again. I realize this is hard, but he NEEDS to do it for the TEAM.

As for the recent beanball wars, I as much as anyone agree that players need to be defended and retailiation is important to the morale, but it's time to start filing these things away for later dates. Why risk suspensions, hard feelings, and more negative press just to get even. Keep pounding the teams and it will be much more fufilling I say.

We all know it took a long time for the Sox to be the 'toast of baseball'. Lets not throw it away for these stupid reasons and get the whole world against us now. Especially during a 9-game winning streak

Unregistered
06-25-2006, 12:06 AM
Let's be honest here: it would take a screw-up of biblical proportions on Ozzie's part to be fired. He would have to set the American flag on fire in the dugout and pee on it to put it out. Then he'd have to stand on top of said dugout mooning half the crowd and giving the finger to the other half. THEN he'd probably be fired.

But at that point, he would've obviously have lost his mind, so it wouldn't matter anyway. :D:

beckett21
06-25-2006, 12:09 AM
Let's be honest here: it would take a screw-up of biblical proportions on Ozzie's part to be fired. He would have to set the American flag on fire in the dugout and pee on it to put it out. Then he'd have to stand on top of said dugout mooning half the crowd and giving the finger to the other half. THEN he'd probably be fired.

But at that point, he would've obviously have lost his mind, so it wouldn't matter anyway. :D:

:rolling:

Hilarious. Probably pretty accurate, too.

Viva Medias B's
06-25-2006, 12:09 AM
With the situation finally dying down, I thought Williams risked adding fuel to the fire with his comments. He should not have made those comments publically. Instead, KW should have said along the lines "Jerry and I feel we have adequately addressed this situation with Ozzie, and I will not comment further on internal personnel matters."

HotelWhiteSox
06-25-2006, 12:11 AM

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/hmd/breath/Faces_asthma/present_images/VIIB1.gif

I have some ideas

Someone hide the trophy!

gbacci
06-25-2006, 12:40 AM
I thought Kenny's comments were amazing. I'm off to write about it right now, and I'll put the full quote from SportsCenter in the column.

DickAllen72
06-25-2006, 01:13 AM
KW just had to come out and look tough to silence some of the critics.

I agree. KW is just putting on a show to appease the commentators in the media.

soltrain21
06-25-2006, 01:20 AM
I thought Kenny's comments were amazing. I'm off to write about it right now, and I'll put the full quote from SportsCenter in the column.

Who the heck are you?

greygoose
06-25-2006, 01:28 AM
The game is on ESPN tomorrow - I wonder how many times we'll hear about the "controversy".

Time to grab the ear plugs.

LuvSox
06-25-2006, 01:59 AM
Who the heck are you?
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=3173

CLR01
06-25-2006, 02:16 AM
Secondly, see Dennis Rodman, Terrell Owens, Rickey Henderson, et. al.

Terrell owens is not a very good example.

hawkjt
06-25-2006, 02:18 AM
I agree that it seems to be a mistake by kenny to grant a national interview addressing ozzie situation in such stark terms. To be fair to kenny when you hear the full statement he is very supportive of ozzie. But he gave a the press a sound bite that when edited sounds like he is threatening ozzie.

The only way this does not flare up is if kenny had the sit down with ozzie and told him exactly what kenny was going to say to espn and make sure ozzie knows he is secure no matter what kenny has to say to appease the wolves.

Now the world will expect ozzie to lash out and clearly the most important part of the plan is for ozzie to remain totally calm and give vannilla responses to any controversial. C'mon Ozzie- you can do it.

BainesHOF
06-25-2006, 04:21 AM
I'll let him say as much as he wants, as long as they're winning.

Don't be ignorant. You'd really think it'd be OK if he used the n-word?

Some Sox fans need to wake up. Some of you sound like the dumb San Francisco fans who defend Barry Bonds simply because he plays for their team when everyone else in the country knows the guy is guilty of cheating.

Uttering a homosexual slur is not OK simply because Ozzie is a winning manager for our team.

wassagstdu
06-25-2006, 08:39 AM
I for one would like to see this story do away, despite the winning streak this is becoming a distraction and the Sox are now being viewed nationally with alot of negativity.
We all know it took a long time for the Sox to be the 'toast of baseball'. Lets not throw it away for these stupid reasons and get the whole world against us now. Especially during a 9-game winning streak

The way to get the world to love us is to be losers. (See Cubs, Curse of the Bambino,...) As the Sox beat everyone, the rest of the world will look for a way to bring them down a peg. That is life, that is human nature. If you want to be loved, root for the Cubs. Winners get respect from the losers, not love.

soltrain21
06-25-2006, 10:13 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=3173

Hmm, and I read that article too.

*slowly backs away and whistles*

EdHerman12
06-25-2006, 11:14 AM
:KW <----The GM who has a ton of responsibility. There's really nothing else that can be said at this point.

:ozzie <-----team Manager who has this organization playing to the top of its potential.

As far as the comment the said Mamager made about :moron

:whocares

:deadhorse: <-----that's what the media will keep doing.

GO SOX!

Jurr
06-25-2006, 01:48 PM
KW said what needed to be said. Ozzie's going to shut his mouth somewhat and think before he speaks a little more. The controversy will die out in a little while, especially when the Sox streak continues to climb and the trade deadline approaches.

Life is good on the South Side.

AZChiSoxFan
06-25-2006, 01:55 PM
This may be in the wrong place, but here goes.

The main baseball writer for the Arizona Republic is a guy named Joseph Reaves who previously covered the Sox in Chicago.

In his article this morning, he doesn't defend what Ozzie said, but he acknowledges that even most people in the media can't stand JM and think the guy is a clown.

PaulDrake
06-25-2006, 01:56 PM
KW would be stupid to ever fire Ozzie. Ozzie will be around for how ever long he feels like sticking around. I don't for a minute believe that's true. It's a whole new ball game today (lousy pun intended) and Ozzie is pushing the envelope to the edge. Yes his job is in jeopardy. For better or worse, probably a little bit of both, we live in a Brave New World.

MarySwiss
06-25-2006, 01:58 PM
This may be in the wrong place, but here goes.

The main baseball writer for the Arizona Republic is a guy named Joseph Reaves who previously covered the Sox in Chicago.

In his article this morning, he doesn't defend what Ozzie said, but he acknowledges that even most people in the media can't stand JM and think the guy is a clown.

I posted the link in the related threads in the Roadhouse and WTS, if anyone wants to read the whole thing.

PaulDrake
06-25-2006, 02:05 PM
With the situation finally dying down, I thought Williams risked adding fuel to the fire with his comments. He should not have made those comments publically. Instead, KW should have said along the lines "Jerry and I feel we have adequately addressed this situation with Ozzie, and I will not comment further on internal personnel matters." Both the manager and the GM need "silence training". I still believe that those who think Ozzie can continue in this manner and keep his job are sadly mistaken.

soxruleEP
06-25-2006, 02:23 PM
All KW said was that Ozzie's doing stupid things increases the likelihood he would be fired. That's no surprise. KW does not say he "would be" or paint himself into the corner with some statement about "zero tolerence."

Coaches are hired to be fired. Only a handful of the greatest leave their jobs on their own terms. Those who do are usually college coaches; professionals are let go after relatively short tenures.

caulfield12
06-25-2006, 04:44 PM
Rod Allen, whose son (I think) is in the Sox organization, also happens to be a Tigers' broadcaster.

He made the mistake of taking the KW comments at face value, without the words of support...he told all the Tigers fans listening today that management was fed up with Guillen and that their tolerance was being stretched very thin, even that a firing might be imminent.

That's how this story gets twisted...they take one little quote or passage out of context and just throw it against the wall and hope it sticks. Same as the whole OG needs to take English classes standing as a headline...

Epark84
06-25-2006, 04:49 PM
First of all I love ozzie and he could become a legend on the southside if he is not already. But lets not pretend that this is all good. Can any of you honestly say if this was going on the north side you would be say its no big deal? I know i wouldnt and most of you wouldnt either. He just needs to tone it down and think before he talks. What he said didnt offend me, but it did offend a lot of people. I want him to be here, but he isnt making the organization look real good at this time. Never even acknowledge marrioti. Hes a waste of space. Dont give him the satisfaction. Hopefully this all goes away soon

Hitmen77
06-25-2006, 07:53 PM
I think KW's statement was very well said.

Note that he didn't say that Ozzie was close to being fired. But, it's important for him to remind Ozzie that his flippantness could really get him in hot water some day in the future.

KW is walking a fine line here. He wants to let Ozzie be Ozzie and realizes that he can't and wouldn't want to change Ozzie's ways. But, at the same time, he's Ozzie's boss and he's responsible for advising Ozzie and keeping him out of hot water.

SOXandILLINI
06-25-2006, 08:48 PM
i guess winning= being able to say anything you want. not in my book it doesn't. good for KW, and i think he meant every word of it. ozzie feels empowered more and more by the teams success, that has to stop. and for the record maronooti is a clown, but then say he's a clown, not some ethnic, racial, or sexual slur.

Gavin
06-25-2006, 10:27 PM
A boss who is not-so-quietly issuing a warning to one of his subordinates should not be treated with disrespect, both by us and Ozzie.

Tokes
06-26-2006, 09:42 AM
I saw on Fox News this morning talking about how Kenny Williams talked about Ozzie's sensitivity training and basically said that Ozzie is not invincible and can be fired. he says it from a friends point of view though.

Unfortunately, I could not find an article stating what he said in the interview on television but I did find this article that sums a lot of it up. Unfortunnately, it is from the sun times so read it if you choose.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sside26.html

I hope Ozzie doesn't go soft on me.

TornLabrum
06-26-2006, 09:57 AM
Rod Allen, whose son (I think) is in the Sox organization, also happens to be a Tigers' broadcaster.

He made the mistake of taking the KW comments at face value, without the words of support...he told all the Tigers fans listening today that management was fed up with Guillen and that their tolerance was being stretched very thin, even that a firing might be imminent.

That's how this story gets twisted...they take one little quote or passage out of context and just throw it against the wall and hope it sticks. Same as the whole OG needs to take English classes standing as a headline...

All any of those Detroit people had to do was watch ESPN either of the past two or three days (as I was doing from Elkhart, IN) to know that any such interpretation is BS.

As far as some of the other posts here, KW did what he had to do as Ozzie's immediate superior. He needed to say something to the media. He has. Now things should quiet down.

PaulDrake
06-26-2006, 10:00 AM
All any of those Detroit people had to do was watch ESPN either of the past two or three days (as I was doing from Elkhart, IN) to know that any such interpretation is BS.

As far as some of the other posts here, KW did what he had to do as Ozzie's immediate superior. He needed to say something to the media. He has. Now things should quiet down. If and when Ozzie learns to control his outbursts. Maybe he actually will, but I wouldn't bet the rent money on it.