PDA

View Full Version : WGN & Comcast....

Qdaddy
06-24-2006, 11:47 AM
I'm just kinda of venting here I guess, but is anyone else sick and tired of the broken radar gun readings on WGN and Comcast? I hate when Jenks comes in and starts throwing that flaming 87mph fastball based on the readings on the TV. I know Hawk always points out that it's 100mph based on the park's radar gun, but come on!!:angry: Fix that thing already!!!

Another thing is how whoever is controlling that readout on top of the screen always seem to have the wrong info. Example: 1st and 3rd no outs, but on the screen it's showing 2nd & 3rd 1 outs.

Anyways.....just venting, but does anyone else feel the same way?

Later,

"Q"

oeo
06-24-2006, 11:49 AM
I'm just kinda of venting here I guess, but is anyone else sick and tired of the broken radar gun readings on WGN and Comcast? I hate when Jenks comes in and starts throwing that flaming 87mph fastball based on the readings on the TV. I know Hawk always points out that it's 100mph based on the park's radar gun, but come on!!:angry: Fix that thing already!!!

Another thing is how whoever is controlling that readout on top of the screen always seem to have the wrong info. Example: 1st and 3rd no outs, but on the screen it's showing 2nd & 3rd 1 outs.

Later,

"Q"
Comcast's was correct on Thursday. I saw 100 a couple of times. As for the bases, I think that's just ignorance and laziness, and it happens too often when they're on WGN. It really can't be that hard...pay me, I'll do it.

StockdaleForVeep
06-24-2006, 11:49 AM

Later,

"Q"

I question the park gun too

I used to sit behind the scouts 15 rows behind homeplate. When colon was pitching, the scoreboard gun was reading 98 and 99 while the handheld guns with the scouts was readin 92-95

NDSox12
06-24-2006, 11:54 AM
At the very least, you would think they could turn the stupid thing off when it is clearly as inaccurate as it was last night. It was a little humorous seeing guys getting blown away by 85 MPH heaters, but still....

chopperjc
06-24-2006, 12:00 PM

Later,

"Q"

Turned to the Astro broadcast because it was right. It is very annoying:dtroll:

esbrechtel
06-24-2006, 12:06 PM
yep pisses me off too....:angry:

Tom~Attitude
06-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Whatever happened to the Smith-Rothchild speedgun?

WS in 05
06-24-2006, 12:09 PM
sounds like a thread during an 8 game win streak:D:

Wordwoman
06-24-2006, 12:26 PM
How about the terrible audio? You can barely hear Hawk and DJ compared to the background noise.

I start wondering whether Hawk and DJ are stretched out in recliners a couple of feet back from the mikes.

StockdaleForVeep
06-24-2006, 12:31 PM
How about the terrible audio? You can barely hear Hawk and DJ compared to the background noise.

I start wondering whether Hawk and DJ are stretched out in recliners a couple of feet back from the mikes.

Actually, the horrid audio has always been the wciu broadcasts, esp with the annoyin on the field mics near annoyin kids screamin for balls

ZachAL
06-24-2006, 02:12 PM
Hell, if they could just come back from commercial BEFORE the first pitch of the inning i'd be a happy man

skobabe8
06-24-2006, 05:33 PM
I guess the only solution to everyones problems is a Sox-only channel run by the fine moderators of WSI. :cool:

nsolo
06-24-2006, 10:10 PM

I'm glad someone else noticed the same thing. It sounded as if Hawk was talking into a metal pail, the crowd noise overwhelmed him. I though maybe something was wrong on my end. Maybe Hawk's mic was malfunctioning.

Frontman
06-24-2006, 11:34 PM
Well, I'd check a Cubs game to see if their guns were off as well, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I figure its one of the few ways that the Tribune company has left to make the Cubs look better than the Sox.....

:cool:

Front

greygoose
06-25-2006, 01:29 AM
The audio on Comcast annoys me to no end. The commercials are blasting, then I can't hear Hawk and DJ.

chisoxfanatic
06-25-2006, 01:33 AM
One thing that continues to annoy me about Comcast is that the sound complete bites the dust for long periods of time...it's so friggen annoying! Especially when I'm trying to fix myself a snack in the kitchen or whip together the dishes and would like to hear Hawk & DJ in the background!

I guess the only solution to everyones problems is a Sox-only channel run by the fine moderators of WSI. :cool:

We could get you and Converted to do the post game show! :cool:

Steelrod
06-25-2006, 04:01 AM
except the moderators would constantly be suspending the manager for language!

Taz
06-25-2006, 09:44 AM
Comcast's was correct on Thursday. I saw 100 a couple of times. As for the bases, I think that's just ignorance and laziness, and it happens too often when they're on WGN. It really can't be that hard...pay me, I'll do it.
I'm guessing (hoping) because it's summer, the new FREE Interns are working things... so guess it does take getting paid...

EdHerman12
06-25-2006, 11:00 AM
Well, I figure its one of the few ways that the Tribune company has left to make the Cubs look better than the Sox.....

:cool:

Front

You got it exactly right. I've done a little work in radio/TV and I'll tell you that programming directors make choices based on what they feel is important. Some are concerned about the actual broadcastb and making it the best possible, others are more concerned about advertising because you don't want a po'd sponser pulling their $$$ back.

I really wish the Sox would stay away from WGN. I know with it being a "super station" the team can be seen world wide, but the fact is it's owned by the Tribune, who owns the Flubs, and will go half hearted when they broadcast the Sox. WCIU is a station that simply doesn't have the budget to put out a first rate broadcast. Comcast is in the bussiness of sports programming and they do the best job.

I only wish younger Sox fans could see tapes of Sox broadcasts when they were on WFLD-32 & WSNS 44. They operated on a shoe string budget, but they were awesome!

GO SOX!

esbrechtel
06-25-2006, 11:03 AM

can i be the centerfield camera man?

Frontman
06-25-2006, 11:50 AM
You got it exactly right. I've done a little work in radio/TV and I'll tell you that programming directors make choices based on what they feel is important. Some are concerned about the actual broadcastb and making it the best possible, others are more concerned about advertising because you don't want a po'd sponser pulling their $$$ back.

I really wish the Sox would stay away from WGN. I know with it being a "super station" the team can be seen world wide, but the fact is it's owned by the Tribune, who owns the Flubs, and will go half hearted when they broadcast the Sox. WCIU is a station that simply doesn't have the budget to put out a first rate broadcast. Comcast is in the bussiness of sports programming and they do the best job.

I only wish younger Sox fans could see tapes of Sox broadcasts when they were on WFLD-32 & WSNS 44. They operated on a shoe string budget, but they were awesome!

GO SOX!

Old schooler like me, I do remember those 44 broadcasts. I still think the Sox are in a sitch where they'll never get the true respect of anyone. But what the hell, just keep winning and who gives a damn if ESPN or Fox or WGN gives them proper due. Results speak louder than critics.

Front

SCarolina_Ron
06-25-2006, 01:25 PM

Heck, I'd just be happy if they could block out that dang hot dog vendor near the booth who's always screaming during the game!

QCIASOXFAN
06-25-2006, 01:33 PM
I have noticed this to and it is annoying. It seems like every time they put up the speed on television Hawk blurts out something totally different.

Jerksticks
06-25-2006, 02:19 PM
yea goin along with that- you ever notice how Hawk mysteriously up and leaves during the broadcast? It just becomes a pure DJ fest for a whole half inning. Maybe Hawk's old age means he can't go 3 hours without takin a wiz.

soxruleEP
06-25-2006, 02:26 PM
yea goin along with that- you ever notice how Hawk mysteriously up and leaves during the broadcast? It just becomes a pure DJ fest for a whole half inning. Maybe Hawk's old age means he can't go 3 hours without takin a wiz.

As someone who suffers from this sad consequence of aging, three hours is LONG time to go without performing that task!

Frontman
06-25-2006, 04:00 PM
Heck, I'd just be happy if they could block out that dang hot dog vendor near the booth who's always screaming during the game!

That doesn't bother me as much. I enjoy having a bit of the feel of "being there."

Front

oeo
06-25-2006, 04:03 PM
I'm guessing (hoping) because it's summer, the new FREE Interns are working things... so guess it does take getting paid...

Fine, I would do it for free. I've got nothing else to do right now, anyway. It can't be hard to watch a Sox game and update the situation.

Foulke You
06-26-2006, 03:00 AM
WCIU is a station that simply doesn't have the budget to put out a first rate broadcast. Comcast is in the bussiness of sports programming and they do the best job.

It's my understanding that WCIU broadcasts Sox games via WGN cameras and crew. WCIU didn't have the means to broadcast professional sports so they farmed it out to WGN and they both share in the profits.

The only difference is that the game is broadcasted via WCIU's signal which is considerably weaker than WGN's which is where some of the audio complaints probably come into play.

You can also notice the game score and summary at the top of the screen is identical font and style to WGN's. The only difference there is it says "SoxNet" instead of "WGN Sports".

EdHerman12
06-26-2006, 07:08 AM
You are correct Sir in that they broadcast via WGN. I always wondered about the SOXNET logo. A very weak signal at that. I'm wondering if WCIU (Chicago's 1st Ultra High Frequency broadcast station) still broadcasts from the top of the Board of Trade building?

GO SOX!

HerzogVon
06-26-2006, 07:41 AM

You bring back fond memories of the days of Jack Drees and later, Harry Caray and Bob ~World's Worst Dresser~ Waller. This was long before Harry and Jimmy went psycho over LaRussa. ( Or, as Jimmy used to say - ALWAYS - LaRusso. )