PDA

View Full Version : Contreras, All-Star Starter = Not Possible?

kkappelk
06-24-2006, 07:33 AM
If my math is correct, isn't Jose scheduled to start the last game on Sunday before the allstar break? Wouldn't that prevent him from pitching (and starting) in the allstar game on Tuesday because of lack of rest?

hawkjt
06-24-2006, 08:17 AM
Yes, he is scheduled to pitch on that Sunday.

Yes, it has been done before and tues would be side-session day of throwing so he could start the game and pitch an inning with no problem.

And as I indicated- it has been done before.

If he is worthy, and he is, he should have the honor of starting. He is now 19-2 since last all-star game. oh yes, he is worthy.

SBSoxFan
06-24-2006, 08:23 AM
I think Ozzie already said he'd have him pitch just 1 inning.

salty99
06-24-2006, 09:18 AM
another possibilty is changing up the rotation slightly after the All star break.

Ol' No. 2
06-24-2006, 09:22 AM
I think Ozzie already said he'd have him pitch just 1 inning.In fact, Ozzie said he'd pitch him to only one batter if he needed to.

StockdaleForVeep
06-24-2006, 09:45 AM
In fact, Ozzie said he'd pitch him to only one batter if he needed to.

The most crucial baseball stat ever, the all star game HOLD!

Meixner007
06-24-2006, 11:02 AM
The most crucial baseball stat ever, the all star game HOLD!

All-Star games are a little different when it comes to scoring. He could get the win if he just pitched to one batter....it all depends....

russ99
06-24-2006, 11:03 AM
If Conteras is in line for the ASG start, Ozzie can start McCarthy that one game. I'm hoping Ozzie can give the kid a shot in the rotation a few times this season.

StockdaleForVeep
06-24-2006, 11:04 AM
If Conteras is in line for the ASG start, Ozzie can start McCarthy that one game. I'm hoping Ozzie can give the kid a shot in the rotation a few times this season.

you DO NOT interrupt a pitcher during a hot streak like that

AJTrenkle
06-24-2006, 01:33 PM
Another great thing about winning the World Series is that Ozzie can manipulate the All-Star team to our advantage. Jose will start.

However, I do hope that he takes the high road and picks the best team he can. I remember some of those awful Torre selections of like Scott Brosius and Paul O'Neil when there were clearly better candidates elsewhere around the league.

Frater Perdurabo
06-24-2006, 01:37 PM
Another great thing about winning the World Series is that Ozzie can manipulate the All-Star team to our advantage. Jose will start.

However, I do hope that he takes the high road and picks the best team he can. I remember some of those awful Torre selections of like Scott Brosius and Paul O'Neil when there were clearly better candidates elsewhere around the league.

Maybe Ozzie can pick Rivera and Papelbon and make them throw four innings each. Better yet, pick Verlander and make him throw eight innings.
:tongue:

soxfanreggie
06-24-2006, 02:36 PM
Perfect scenario...go to extras...Verlander throws...oh...12 or 13....:tongue:

RKMeibalane
06-24-2006, 02:48 PM
you DO NOT interrupt a pitcher during a hot streak like that

Agreed. That's the kind of thing Jerry Manuel was routinely criticized for. Your don't move your best starting pitcher for any reason except injury.

doctorlecter
06-24-2006, 03:18 PM
Agreed. That's the kind of thing Jerry Manuel was routinely criticized for. Your don't move your best starting pitcher for any reason except injury.

I agree with you on not moving Jose around, just, please, for the love of Christ, please don't bring up Jerry Manuel!

TDog
06-24-2006, 04:01 PM
It's more important for Contreras to pitch for the Sox. Ozzie can manage with other teams' pitchers.