PDA

View Full Version : Hermanson Update II

DaleJRFan
06-24-2006, 04:44 AM
a continuation of Lip's thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73174&highlight=hermanson)

from Scott Merkin's Article posted on 6/23 @ 10:00PM

Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060623&content_id=1520149&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws) (last 5 or 6 paragraphs)

Hermanson is back throwing again at Catawba College in North Carolina, continuing extended Spring Training. The right-hander, who saved 34 for the White Sox in 2005, told Williams he's going to be back some time in July.

"When I asked him whether he was taking his wife down to Charlotte with him for his rehab and he said, 'No, she's just going to meet me in Chicago,'" said Williams of Hermanson. "So, he's fully intent on getting back and helping the ballclub.

"Fortunately, we'll be in a position by the time he does get back here where there's another quality guy. He won't necessarily have to assume late inning bullpen duties. He can be at the front of the bullpen and I think that's a pretty good luxury."

KW's tone is decidedly more positive regarding Hermanson returning to the Sox bullpen this year. Sounds good to me!!

hawkjt
06-24-2006, 09:19 AM
What a bonus it would be to get Hermy back for the stretch drive.

Pretty much the ole gang back together if Cliff comes back strong also.

TheOldRoman
06-24-2006, 10:09 AM
This is great news. However, unless someone gets injured or we cut Politte, we won't have room for Hermanson. Right now, our bullpen is Jenks, Cotts, Riske, Thornton, McCarthy, and Politte/Montero. Our bench is Mack, Ozuna, Widger, Cintron, and Gload, and none of them can be sent down. Unless Ozzie decides to send McCarthy down for a week or two (which he shouoldn't) or Cliff gets the ax, Hermanson won't be able to break the big club.

Chips
06-24-2006, 10:43 AM
This is great news. However, unless someone gets injured or we cut Politte, we won't have room for Hermanson. Right now, our bullpen is Jenks, Cotts, Riske, Thornton, McCarthy, and Politte/Montero. Our bench is Mack, Ozuna, Widger, Cintron, and Gload, and none of them can be sent down. Unless Ozzie decides to send McCarthy down for a week or two (which he shouoldn't) or Cliff gets the ax, Hermanson won't be able to break the big club.

I like the idea of Cliff getting the axe.

daveeym
06-24-2006, 10:45 AM
This is great news. However, unless someone gets injured or we cut Politte, we won't have room for Hermanson. Right now, our bullpen is Jenks, Cotts, Riske, Thornton, McCarthy, and Politte/Montero. Our bench is Mack, Ozuna, Widger, Cintron, and Gload, and none of them can be sent down. Unless Ozzie decides to send McCarthy down for a week or two (which he shouoldn't) or Cliff gets the ax, Hermanson won't be able to break the big club.Is gload out of options? He's definitely not needed. He's been lucky to get any playing time for most of the year although he has gotten a bit more recently.

MrRoboto83
06-24-2006, 10:55 AM
Is gload out of options? He's definitely not needed. He's been lucky to get any playing time for most of the year although he has gotten a bit more recently.

It is nice to have Gload on the bench. He always gives good at bats, he is good at defense and great to have for a back up for Paulie. I would hate to see Ross go.

daveeym
06-24-2006, 11:23 AM
It is nice to have Gload on the bench. He always gives good at bats, he is good at defense and great to have for a back up for Paulie. I would hate to see Ross go. Yeah, but if Hermy's good to go why waste a spot on Gload and his limited playing time?

Gload 31 games 50 ab's
Cintron 36 games 117 ab's
Ozuna 37 games 85 ab's
Mack 55 games 130

Nothing against gload but considering most of his ab's come when a game's in hand and they want to give PK or Dye a breather it's not that great of a loss. Thome can give PK a blow if he needs a day off.

If Hermy's healthy and dealing, which I'm not too confident he will be, Gload has got to go.

goon
06-24-2006, 12:20 PM
gload, or rather, the spot on the bench in which gload fills, will not be taken off the 25 man roster for hermanson's return. however, if hermie IS pitching well and returns, look for him to fill montero/politte's spot of either one of them are still struggling.

AJTrenkle
06-24-2006, 02:29 PM
I don't know if it would be wise for the Sox to cut Politte to make room for a guy who may not be entirely healthy. Relievers can be fluky and we wouldn't want to give up on Cliff too soon after just a few months.

Frater Perdurabo
06-24-2006, 02:35 PM
I don't know if it would be wise for the Sox to cut Politte to make room for a guy who may not be entirely healthy. Relievers can be fluky and we wouldn't want to give up on Cliff too soon after just a few months.

The Sox will be able to see if Hermanson can stay healthy while he's in Charlotte. They are not going to give Hermanson a spot on the MLB roster simply based on past performance. If they bring him up, it will only be because:

1. Hermanson can stay healthy in Charlotte;

2. Hermanson pitches well enough in Charlotte to make the Sox believe he is a better option than the worst reliever on the major league roster.

HebrewHammer
06-24-2006, 06:47 PM
Montero would likely be sent back down, should Dustin ever return to Chicago.

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Montero would likely be sent back down, should Dustin ever return to Chicago.

Montero will be sent down when Cliffy comes back

Chez
06-24-2006, 06:55 PM
Unless someone else is hurting or really ineffective, I don't see Hermie activated before the 9/1 roster expansion date.

Beautox
06-24-2006, 06:57 PM
IF, and this is a big IF Dustin comes back and is healthy and productive along with Cliff. I would assume they send McCarthy down to AAA where he could get much needed starts, i realize hes MLB ready but hes not a reliever, simple as that.

I look forward to seeing what our bullpen will be in '07. Seeing how Long will fast track it through the MILB level ala Street/Cordero.

Jenks
Riske(if hes healthy Kenny needs to resign him hes only 28, and hes awesome)
Thornton
Cotts
Long
Tracey

gobears1987
06-24-2006, 09:00 PM
Thornton, Jenks, Cotts, McCarthy, Hermanson, Riske, and Politte. That's deadly. If Hermy can be healthy, then we won't have to replace a right handed reliever should McCarthy join the rotation.

BeeBeeRichard
06-24-2006, 09:02 PM
There's a long way to go before Hermanson will be ready to come back, and a whole lot of injuries that could happen in that time, too. If any one of the starters needs a break like Contreras already did, that will put McCarthy back in the rotation. Or a reliever could go down -- such as Politte again. This -- because of the extra month of pitching most of them had last year -- is why Williams stacked the major league roster and the minors with arms. It'll all work out, and as has been mentioned, if everyone on the staff IS healthy, designating Gload is always an option -- no one grabbed him last year when they had the chance.

DaleJRFan
06-24-2006, 09:07 PM
IF, and this is a big IF Dustin comes back and is healthy and productive along with Cliff. I would assume they send McCarthy down to AAA where he could get much needed starts, i realize hes MLB ready but hes not a reliever, simple as that.

I look forward to seeing what our bullpen will be in '07. Seeing how Long will fast track it through the MILB level ala Street/Cordero.

Jenks
Riske(if hes healthy Kenny needs to resign him hes only 28, and hes awesome)
Thornton
Cotts
Long
Tracey

I don't think there is any doubt that Riske will get a deal for 07. He executes the KW/Ozzie/Cooper formula perfectly - THROW STRIKES and get guys out with your defense. I've been really impressed with Riske so far - and Javier Lopez is working out well for the Red Sox, too.

Unregistered
06-25-2006, 12:57 AM
As per Sunday's Tribune:

"Trainer Herm Schneider said reliever Dustin Hermanson (back) could begin a rehab assignment by 'the middle to end of next week.'"

:thumbsup:

Lip Man 1
06-26-2006, 09:43 PM
The issue isn't 'can he pitch...' he can, although with some difficulty.

The issue is CAN HE PITCH IN BACK TO BACK GAMES?

Until he shows he can do that Ozzie has already said he's not counting on him because he isn't going to be put in the same position of not knowing for sure if he can use him from night to night.

We'll see...it would be incredible if he could return.

But don't count on it.

Lip

jongarlandlover
06-26-2006, 11:46 PM
that would be amazing if hermy could come back, but i'm not counting on it.

i agree with lip, he needs to be able to pitch in back-to-back games. if not, then i don't know if ozzie and kenny'll want to bring him up.