PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Sweet Sixteen 6/23/06 Postgame Thread

BeviBall!
06-23-2006, 10:29 PM
Congrats Jose!

BTW, loving how Cotts/Riske look, setting up Jenks.

getonbckthr
06-23-2006, 10:30 PM
Are we playing the National League or the Minor Leagues?

GregoryEtc
Pods with the SLAM!!!!
Grey girl rules!

gobears1987
No big deal, another 8 game win streak

Congrats Jose!!!

ANd did Pods really homer?:o: It was a no doubter too.

LuvSox
06-23-2006, 10:31 PM
Houston has nothing on us! :bandance:

getonbckthr
06-23-2006, 10:31 PM
GREY GIRL is a good girl
Jose Contreras is a great pitcher.

chopperjc
06-23-2006, 10:32 PM

:o:
:D: :D: :D:

BeviBall!
06-23-2006, 10:32 PM
The Senior Circuit is a flat-out joke. In the SI baseball preview, some AL scout said that his team plans on winning at least 75% of games against the NL every year.

sox aka champs
06-23-2006, 10:33 PM
Great win go Sox!

delben91
06-23-2006, 10:33 PM
I love these 8 game win streaks. I didn't see the game, but looks like Jose won without his best stuff.

Let's break through for win number 9 tomorrow!

Iguana775
06-23-2006, 10:35 PM
My only wish is that the Sox could have the chance of kicking the crap out of Clemons. I am so sick of the Clemons reach-around by ESPN.

elrod
06-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Tomorrow's the chance to make real history and get a 9 game winning streak!

gobears1987
06-23-2006, 10:38 PM
My only wish is that the Sox could have the chance of kicking the crap out of Clemons. I am so sick of the Clemons reach-around by ESPN.Sorry but I have to give the obligated response.

http://www.orizzontikubrickiani.it/images/hartmantojoker.jpg

"You look like the type of guy who would **** a guy in the *** and not even have the G-d damned common courtesy to give him a reach-around."

EdHerman12
06-23-2006, 10:39 PM
:contreras: <-----CONGRATS JC!

:pods: <--------THE GRAND SALAMI!

:crede <-----BUSTIN HIS REAR TO GET THE RUNS ACROSS!

:cotts: <-----CONFIDENCE IS SKY HIGH!

:jenks: <-------BEST CLOSER IN MLB!

BOTTOM LINE?

:winner

Keeping pace and getting it done!

GO SOX!

voodoochile
06-23-2006, 10:40 PM
PODZILLA!

Heck of a year you got going there, Mr. Contreras. Keep it up and someone is going to be handing you an extra trophy this fall.

:):supernana:

Fake Chet Lemon
06-23-2006, 10:42 PM
Although viewed as minor moves, adding Riske and Thornton have really solidified things in the pen. In Kenny we trust. Nice inning by Riske.

WizardsofOzzie
06-23-2006, 10:43 PM
:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

I love 8 game win streaks. Lets make it 9 tomorrow!

gobears1987
06-23-2006, 10:44 PM
Although viewed as minor moves, adding Riske and Thornton have really solidified things in the pen. In Kenny we trust. Nice inning by Riske.I agree 100%. With Riske and Cotts setting up and Jenks closing I feel safe. Also add in McCarthy and Thornton. If Politte can pitch well the 2nd half, then we will have a very solid pen. I'd venture that it would be more solid than last year's pen. Is there a better closer than Jenks right now?

JB98
06-23-2006, 10:44 PM
Tomorrow's the chance to make real history and get a 9 game winning streak!

Absolutely. This makes seven eight-game winning streaks since the start of the 2005 season. The question is, is it possible for us to win nine in a row? I guess we find out tomorrow afternoon.

JB98
06-23-2006, 10:46 PM
I agree 100%. With Riske and Cotts setting up and Jenks closing I feel safe. Also add in McCarthy and Thornton. If Politte can pitch well the 2nd half, then we will have a very solid pen. I'd venture that it would be more solid than last year's pen. Is there a better closer than Jenks right now?

Jeff Brantley will tell you Papelbon's better, but I won't.

SOecks
06-23-2006, 10:48 PM
What was going on with AJ right after the game? He was saying something to Dye like "Give me the ball, you never know" and then Dye flipped the ball to someone else. Very strange.

Beautox
06-23-2006, 10:48 PM
My only wish is that the Sox could have the chance of kicking the crap out of Clemons. I am so sick of the Clemons reach-around by ESPN.

No Worries, that what Lirianos for :smile:

TheOldRoman
06-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Jeff Brantley also will stare at the name "Ozzie Guillen" on his list of people to kill, and then put on lipstick while listening to soothing music.

He is so obsessed with the Sox and them failing that he could probably come up with reasons why Contreras is overrated and will fail down the stretch.:rolleyes:
Lucky for us we don't need the recognition of that no-nothing blowhard, we have a trophy.

getonbckthr
Jeff Brantley will tell you Papelbon's better, but I won't. Jenks-2-1 2.76 era 22/23 saves 32.2 ip 26 hits 10 er 39/9 k/bb
Papelbon-1-1 0.25 era 23/24 saves 35.2 ip 19 hits 1 er 35/4 k/bb
Based on that I gotta go with Papelbon here.

Beautox

and the #'s, i luuvvvv me some Bobby Jenks but the numbers in this case don't like. Jenks has better "stuff" but Papelbon has been flat out sick.

TomParrish79
great game

and I hope this doesnt mean we lose tomorrow....

I want 9 in a row!

Zisk77
06-23-2006, 10:57 PM
What was going on with AJ right after the game? He was saying something to Dye like "Give me the ball, you never know" and then Dye flipped the ball to someone else. Very strange.

I think he wanted to give the ball to Jose for his 16th straight winning decision.

JB98
06-23-2006, 11:02 PM
Jenks-2-1 2.76 era 22/23 saves 32.2 ip 26 hits 10 er 39/9 k/bb
Papelbon-1-1 0.25 era 23/24 saves 35.2 ip 19 hits 1 er 35/4 k/bb
Based on that I gotta go with Papelbon here.

The poster asked, "Is there a better closer than Bobby Jenks right now?" Right now, Jenks is equally effective. We're not talking about the whole year, or about what happened in April. At this very point in time, Jenks is throwing the ball as well as any reliever in the league.

oeo
06-23-2006, 11:06 PM
The poster asked, "Is there a better closer than Bobby Jenks right now?" Right now, Jenks is equally effective. We're not talking about the whole year, or about what happened in April. At this very point in time, Jenks is throwing the ball as well as any reliever in the league.

Agreed. Jenks' numbers are worse because his April wasn't very good. I've got to think Papelbon is going to hit a tough stretch eventually, unless he's Mariano Rivera or something.

TDog
06-23-2006, 11:09 PM
I just got home from work and saw the results. I have to say I'm impressed.

The Astros must be the only team that considers Pods a clutch power threat, considering his homers provided the difference in two consecutive Sox home wins against Houston.

And it looks like all the scoring came with two outs. This Sox team is pretty good.

getonbckthr
06-23-2006, 11:10 PM
Um 1 earned run with a 0.25 era for the season means no matter if your talking right now or 7 weeks ago he is the best closer going.

SOX ADDICT '73
06-23-2006, 11:11 PM
What did Bruce Springsteen's saxophone player ever do to you?
http://www.nrk.no/img/209980.jpeg
Leave The Big Man alone!

PeteWard
06-23-2006, 11:12 PM
I like the pitching match up tomorrow. I figure Garland is out of his funk and is better than the other guy anyway. If the Sox can smack Oswalt on Sunday--the only match up I don't like--this streak can go on and on.:bandance:

PeteWard
06-23-2006, 11:14 PM

And now we have to cheer for him:o: because his next start is against Detroit.

Fake Chet Lemon
06-23-2006, 11:15 PM
Gooch looked lost at the dish tonight. Tomorrow might be a good time to give him a breather and get some Pablo action, especially with a day game after a night game.

Jurr
06-23-2006, 11:22 PM
Do you think Houston officially hates Pods now?? Man, did he kill that ball!:supernana:

Jenks4Pres
06-23-2006, 11:26 PM
Thank you Cashman! How did Loiza work out for you?

getonbckthr
06-23-2006, 11:28 PM
Thank you Cashman! How did Loiza work out for you?
While we're at it hey Billy how is he working for you?

infohawk
06-23-2006, 11:28 PM
I just got back from the game. The wife, stepson and I are spending the weekend in Chicago. We're going tomorrow, too. It was great seeing Jose set the club record for consecutive wins. I couldn't believe it when Pods hit that grand slam. What is it about the Astros, Pods and big homeruns? Whatever it is, I hope it continues until tomorrow. GO SOX!:gulp:

Unregistered
06-23-2006, 11:29 PM
Although viewed as minor moves, adding Riske and Thornton have really solidified things in the pen. In Kenny we trust. Nice inning by Riske.
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4491&d=1150521299

getonbckthr
06-23-2006, 11:31 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4491&d=1150521299
This might be the best Sox player/hollywood combo. Unless you can find a picture of Ozzie as a spanish soapstar.:?:

Hitmen77
06-23-2006, 11:34 PM
The Astros must be the only team that considers Pods a clutch power threat, considering his homers provided the difference in two consecutive Sox home wins against Houston.

IIRC, I believe that Pods had a disproportionate number of HRs against the Astros when he was playing for the Brewers. But, that might have been due to HRs hit at Juice Box Field. The 2 he's hit in a Sox uniform were at the Cell.

slobes
06-23-2006, 11:43 PM
Guys I will take all credit for Pods's slam, it was completely predicted by me.

Let's get over that 8 game hump now, eh?

MarySwiss
06-23-2006, 11:44 PM

Oh, yeah! :smile:

I want Mags back
06-23-2006, 11:46 PM
Great game. Pods has the Stros number. Keep it going

fquaye149
06-24-2006, 12:05 AM
:contreras: <-----CONGRATS JC!

:pods: <--------THE GRAND SALAMI!

:crede <-----BUSTIN HIS REAR TO GET THE RUNS ACROSS!

:cotts: <-----CONFIDENCE IS SKY HIGH!

:jenks: <-------BEST CLOSER IN MLB!

BOTTOM LINE?

Keeping pace and getting it done!

GO SOX!

more or less :redneck

LongLiveFisk
06-24-2006, 12:13 AM
Just got home from the game. What a great game to be at! That slam by Pods was a no-doubter from the moment it left the bat. Great fireworks show as usual.

A great time was had by all. Now let's beat Houston on National TV one more time tomorrow! :D: :gulp: :bandance:

itsnotrequired
06-24-2006, 12:15 AM
I like this team.

Sig update time...

QCIASOXFAN
06-24-2006, 12:18 AM
I love when Pods goes deep, your never expecting it and when it happens it always seems to be at a good time.

esbrechtel
06-24-2006, 12:29 AM
it looks like we have softened up the cards for detroit and it appears we might be doing that with the stros also....ah well.....big W congrats JC! :worship: jose rackin up the wins
:moonwalk:pods' slam
what a great night!

purduedude87
06-24-2006, 12:33 AM
just got back from the game, never imagined watching my first grandslam in person would come from Scotty Pods...makes it even better

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-24-2006, 12:35 AM
This might be the best Sox player/hollywood combo. Unless you can find a picture of Ozzie as a spanish soapstar.:?:

Oh, Just wait until we have Lance Broadway come up here! :D:

thomas35forever
06-24-2006, 12:43 AM
Podsednik is making himself a nightmare to Astros fans. How many different ways can he hurt them? Great game!:bandance:

RadioheadRocks
06-24-2006, 12:46 AM
Podsednik is making himself a nightmare to Astros fans. How many different ways can he hurt them? Great game!:bandance:

Wonder if the 'Stros will try to make a trade with us so he won't be able to hurt them anymore! :D: (not that the Sox will be putting him on the trade block any time soon!)

johnnyg83
06-24-2006, 12:52 AM
Anybody catch Branley on BBTN? I tivo'd and after the Astros 3rd or 4th run he was saying about Contreras, "if you throw a fastball at a high of 85 mph they're going to figure you out." Then he went into some story about a guy who fell down clutching his heart while running down the first base line when he was pitching.

He didn't name the guy and said he was given milk and bananas after the game. I have no idea what he was talking about. Anybody see this? It was like that uncle you have that no one likes and makes up stories about how he kicked the crap out of Tim Grunhard in high school. You know he's lying but you don;t have enough respect for him to correct him.

But could the WGN gun be wrong? They kept clocking Booby J at 87 .

swanson24
06-24-2006, 01:19 AM
Wow! What a game! Once again the Sox played great today. Pettite got himself in trouble three times and on that third time we made him pay. Podsednik is an Astros Killer unbelievable! Congrats to Jose on setting a new Sox record for consecutive wins! Lost in the shuffle tonight was another strong outing by our bullpen Cotts, Risky and BAAAAAD Bobby Jenks were awesome. It should be fun tommorrow! Keep the streak going boys!

TaquitoElGoocho
06-24-2006, 01:23 AM
Back home after a post-game gordita de chorizo and chocolate licuado (when will these delicacies be available at the Sox concession stands?) to celebrate a grand slam from Scott Pods!?! F Yeah!

Solid pitching from JC, great relief from Cotts and Riske, Uribe driving in a little insurance run, and Bobby seals the deal. Hope Iguchi has a better night tomorrow (er, it is tomorrow).

LOTS of waves being started in upper deck near right field, which then incited a backlash. When the "wavers" stood and blocked our view of an Astro run, that ticked me off.

I expected to see or hear something about Jose setting a record, but didn't notice any sort of announcement. May be I missed it when a wave came by.

Go Sox!

CLR01
06-24-2006, 01:40 AM
I expected to see or hear something about Jose setting a record, but didn't notice any sort of announcement. May be I missed it when a wave came by.

Go Sox!
How can the Sox announce Jose setting the record during the game when it is not official until the game is over?

The Bone
06-24-2006, 01:42 AM
For games I have attened this season, this probably ranks either second or third. The Big Frank return game where we won on a walk-off Pablo bunt has to be first.

The Cards Thursday game was great, tonight was great, the Sox-Cubs brawl game was great, its so tough to determine after the obvious #1 in my book.

chisoxfanatic
06-24-2006, 01:43 AM
IIRC, I believe that Pods had a disproportionate number of HRs against the Astros when he was playing for the Brewers. But, that might have been due to HRs hit at Juice Box Field. The 2 he's hit in a Sox uniform were at the Cell.

I've never heard Pods say anything with regards to his childhood favorite team; but, I do know that he's from West, Texas, which isn't too far from the Dallas Area. Perhaps he grew up a Rangers fan and disliked the Astros, so he gets up for those games big time?

Good to be there again tonight. Pods really bailed us out in the 4th inning with his grand slam. I don't care what your record is; not scoring a run after getting the first three guys on is unacceptable. So, thank you Scotty for putting the team on your back in that regard. Though Contreras didn't have his best "stuff," it was more than enough to give the bullpen some comfortable breathing room. He did make Preston Wilson look silly a couple of times, and my section (161) barraded him throughout the entire game (they would never let him alone, and had some very creative things to say).

I did not go to the pdimas tailgate tonight due to oversleeping and did not feel like going to Puffers; but, I'll see some of you on the 4th of July when I get back from Toronto.

It's time to update the sig.

TaquitoElGoocho
06-24-2006, 02:04 AM
How can the Sox announce Jose setting the record during the game when it is not official until the game is over?

Sorry. Should have added teal to the last comment. But I did not see or hear anything after the game.

QCIASOXFAN
06-24-2006, 02:26 AM
Anybody catch Branley on BBTN? I tivo'd and after the Astros 3rd or 4th run he was saying about Contreras, "if you throw a fastball at a high of 85 mph they're going to figure you out." Then he went into some story about a guy who fell down clutching his heart while running down the first base line when he was pitching.

He didn't name the guy and said he was given milk and bananas after the game. I have no idea what he was talking about. Anybody see this? It was like that uncle you have that no one likes and makes up stories about how he kicked the crap out of Tim Grunhard in high school. You know he's lying but you don;t have enough respect for him to correct him.

But could the WGN gun be wrong? They kept clocking Booby J at 87 .Why do we see a totally different gun on television then the broadcasters do? When they announce the speed it never matches up to what we saw pop up on the screen.

ndgt10
06-24-2006, 05:25 AM
Why do we see a totally different gun on television then the broadcasters do? When they announce the speed it never matches up to what we saw pop up on the screen.
Those losers on BBTN really showed how ignorant they are tonight. They were talking how you never know which Contreras will show up; the one who throws 95mph or the one with the 85mph fastball. Those dolts should do a little research about that awful radar gun we have.

Also, how hard is it to get a working radar gun? You would think the World Champs would be able to afford a good gun, instead we have one that shows 79mph fastballs while other ****ty teams have accurate ones.

wassagstdu
06-24-2006, 06:44 AM
You would think the World Champs would be able to afford a good gun, instead we have one that shows 79mph fastballs while other ****ty teams have accurate ones.

Maybe ours is the accurate one. A lot of guns are probably "juiced" to give the fans a thrill.

IronFisk
06-24-2006, 08:12 AM
It's really odd to have to wake up and find out who won - figures that I'd be out of the country when we are playing our best! :whiner:

SBSoxFan
06-24-2006, 08:33 AM
2, 3, and 4 hitters go 0 for 10? No problem; 7 2-out runs baby!!!!!!!!!

Hitmen77
06-24-2006, 09:27 AM
2, 3, and 4 hitters go 0 for 10? No problem; 7 2-out runs baby!!!!!!!!!

That's what makes this a great team. We don't have to rely on certain people to carry us every night. If the 2, 3, and 4 are having an off night, the lower half of the lineup will pick up the slack.

LongLiveFisk
06-24-2006, 10:03 AM
LOTS of waves being started in upper deck near right field, which then incited a backlash. When the "wavers" stood and blocked our view of an Astro run, that ticked me off.

I was in the upper deck behind home plate and the wave was annoying the hell out of me. I refused to participate.

oeo
06-24-2006, 10:54 AM
That's what makes this a great team. We don't have to rely on certain people to carry us every night. If the 2, 3, and 4 are having an off night, the lower half of the lineup will pick up the slack.

Amazing how we feel after a month ago, when nothing was going right. Just don't get all crazy again if/when they hit another slump.

I'm not saying you, Hitmen, I'm just quoting your post.

russ99
06-24-2006, 10:56 AM
Pods was a notorious Astro killer even when he was in Milwaukee! He's just added to that rep in specatacular fashion with the Sox. Now I've seen 2 of his 4 homers in a Sox uniform! (tonight and vs. Boston in the ALCS)

Oh, and most of us in the left-field bleachers not only refused to join the wave, we booed the "wavers". Sox fans don't do the stinkin wave. Thank god that guy who caught Berkman's homer didn't throw it back. This isn't Wrigley, people!!!

Those fireworks were an unexpected treat!

Do you think Houston officially hates Pods now?? Man, did he kill that ball!:supernana:

fuzzy_patters
06-24-2006, 11:21 AM
I missed last night's game because I was fishing. It sounds like it was great, though. Could the NL suck any more?