PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie doubts he will go to sensitivity training

cbrownson13
06-23-2006, 10:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2498795

I didn't see this posted anywhere. I wish this would all just be over with.

rdwj
06-23-2006, 10:13 PM
Lol - Ozzie! He must just love being in trouble. That's the only excuse that makes sense.

IlliniSox4Life
06-23-2006, 10:27 PM
I can't see this going over well with Selig. It's one thing to just not go, but keep quiet about it and just let it fade away. To opebnly say you aren't going to go a day or two later won't go over well.

mike detroit
06-23-2006, 10:29 PM
I find the whole idea of "sensitivity training" stupid. but damn, ozzie, have some common sense.

Fake Chet Lemon
06-23-2006, 11:45 PM
Ozzie in class would make a great SNL sketch :D: .

gobears1987
06-23-2006, 11:46 PM
Ozzie in class would make a great SNL sketch :D: .I'd love to see him host an episode. It would be hilarious.

LuvSox
06-23-2006, 11:46 PM

Or on a funny show.

mike detroit
06-23-2006, 11:59 PM
I'd love to see him host an episode. It would be hilarious.

no doubt, i'd pay to see that one.

Martinigirl
06-24-2006, 12:05 AM
Did anyone see the press conference clip on Channel 9? I am not quite sure what Ozzie was mad about but it seems he was saying he won't be talking to the press for a while. And at this point, I think that would be a good thing for him and the press.

koch44
06-24-2006, 12:22 AM
Did anyone see the press conference clip on Channel 9? I am not quite sure what Ozzie was mad about but it seems he was saying he won't be talking to the press for a while. And at this point, I think that would be a good thing for him and the press.

I think he was pissed that they misquoted him about the sensitivity training.

Viva Medias B's
06-24-2006, 12:30 AM
Ozzie should go to the sensitivity training. By not going and making it known that he might not go, he only gives comfort to those who take delight in seeing us get bad press.

gbergman
06-24-2006, 01:26 AM
ozzie a mod told me i need sensitivity training because of my comment on asian drivers. I hope you will join me so thatwe can both agree we dont need sensitivity training just thinking before we speak training

MarySwiss
06-24-2006, 01:29 AM

It'll be a good thing for him. For the press--not so much.

If Ozzie stopped talking to the press, can you imagine?

Domeshot17
06-24-2006, 01:30 AM
he better go, in all seriousness, if the tell you to go, and you dont, or say you really dont have the time, the commish will give ozzie 10-14 days off so he has the time, and as good as Cora was in his mlb debut, I dont think we need ozzie suspended.

(question)

If Ozzie was suspended through the all star break hypotehtically, would he still coach the game

soxfan1965
06-24-2006, 01:47 AM

Well yes, the point here is that Ozzie needs to make lemonade (SNL) out of life's lemons (the class). Ozzie is a winner and part of being a winner is not defeating yourself, which Ozzie is dangerously close to doing. Why worry about and pay attention to Mariotti who I doubt has competed or coached in sports on any level? Ozzie should channel his anger toward Mariotti to things that will drive Ozzie to be even more successful. It's encouraging to hear Ozzie making up with nemesis Phil Garner and saying of that he respects Garner as a man and a manager and that Garner said of Ozzie he needed help and that Ozzie already got help. Presumably he has a great network of mentors with Cox, LaRussa, Fisk, Seaver, Aparicio and that by listening to them he can be an even greater manager, maybe even a HOF shot. Even Kenny Williams used Roland Hemond for advice/feedback.

Martinigirl
06-24-2006, 02:54 AM
It'll be a good thing for him. For the press--not so much.

If Ozzie stopped talking to the press, can you imagine?

I should have said it would be a good thing for Sox fans, because if he wasn't talking to the press, we may actually hear about how well our team is doing, as opposed to how much trouble our manager is in.

And you are right, the press would be at a loss for stories without Ozzie to write about.

TDog
06-24-2006, 03:09 AM
I'd love to see him host an episode. It would be hilarious.

I haven't seen Saturday Night Live for years (don't take that as condescending -- even if I had television, I don't get home from work Saturday nights until after 1 a.m.), but I am guessing NBC wouldn't risk the governmental wrath that would follow a live profanity. The climate for such things is worse than when Charles Rocket in 1981 uttered what Jean Shepherd referred to (coming out of Ralphie's mouth) as "the queen mother of dirty words."

Not that Ozzie Cullen is out of control. I read that he believed he was off the record. I don't think he considered what he said about Marriott to be in the public forum. Sports journalists aren't people to trust in such situations. I know to some people that might not matter.

I wouldn't want Ozzie Cullen to become sensitive. Jerry Manuel was sensitive. Cullen is probably more sensitive than Eddie Stank, but I don't want sensitive. I want a White Six manager who will kick butt.

Nellie_Fox
06-24-2006, 03:22 AM
I wouldn't want Ozzie Cullen to become sensitive. Jerry Manuel was sensitive. Cullen is probably more sensitive than Eddie Stank, but I don't want sensitive. I want a White Six manager who will kick butt.Cullen?
http://www.topiclink.com/gameshows/images/billcullen.jpg

(You have to be really old to get this one.)

Trav
06-24-2006, 08:46 AM
I'm so glad he is on the the Sox and not some other team. Guillen is great.

Tragg
06-24-2006, 08:51 AM
They should have just suspended him for one game, which would have ended 1/2 of the media whining.

EdHerman12
06-24-2006, 08:57 AM
I just think he's jerking the media around. The bottom line is that all this stuff about sensitivity training, and slandering and what not is part of this PC agenda the government is trying to ram down everybodys throat. We used to have freedom of speech, but now it's freedome of speech as long as it's nothing that is hateful, spiteful, disrespectful, etc, etc, etc.

The Man apologized for his comments, and explained what he meant. Does he have a history of such behavior? If not then Selig needs to cut out his PC bull, continue being a lame duck Comissioner....oops! I may need sensitivity traing for that!:rolleyes:

GO SOX!

jdm2662
06-24-2006, 09:07 AM
Cullen?

Is that Bill Cullen, legendary game show host?

tebman
06-24-2006, 09:39 AM
Cullen?

:rolling:

StockdaleForVeep
06-24-2006, 10:46 AM

I think we've seen what with ryan leaf and other sports people who have had issues with the media, they will only target someone more if they avoid the press

caulfield12
06-24-2006, 11:14 AM
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/rozner.asp?id=202250

Very sensible article in the Daily Herald, which will probably create more protests that Rozner is TOO pro-Guillen.

caulfield12
06-24-2006, 11:19 AM
When asked about the report after the game, the manager responded with a lengthy diatribe in which he said he first needs to take English classes "to understand what they're talking about" and threatened to "start being nasty with the media" if they continued to ask questions about it.

"It's a really uncomfortable situation for me," Guillen said after the White Sox beat Houston 7-4. "I don't need this job. It's hard every day. ... If someone tries to play games, I'm sorry, but you've got the wrong guy."
Guillen got up and walked out of the interview room. A few minutes later, he said through a team spokesman he will undergo the training.

Headline from yahoo sports

Editorial note: The ONE thing I don't buy is Ozzie understanding English...he has had 20 years. I have been in Colombia for less than one year and I go to movies in Spanish and understand 75-80% of the dialogue. Ozzie needs to stop hiding behind that excuse.

oeo
06-24-2006, 11:20 AM
From Scott Reifert's blog:

And, yes, Ozzie will be attending sensitivity training.

jabrch
06-24-2006, 11:25 AM
This will all blow over soon and be replaced by the next set of silly conflicts.

Meanwhile, the team is kicking butt. That's more important to me.

caulfield12
06-24-2006, 11:26 AM
Testy Guillen wants English training....this is one of the most ridiculous headlines I have seen, made out of a joke.

Geez Louise, ESPN is worse than Mariotti. Chicagosports.com has no mention of the post-game interview, and now every single national print, radio and tv reporter is following around Guillen like he's Bobby Knight, waiting for the next blow-up so they can get the exclusive scoop.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2498795

Buster Olney is again calling for a suspension for Ozzie's quote FLIP unquote response.

The interesting thing is that many of the quotes from the first part of the story were translated into English from an interview with ESPN Deportes that was obviously done in Spanish. So there's a reason for this confusion, whenever you have someone translating comments from Spanish to English, there's always plenty of wiggle room for misinterpretation.

caulfield12
06-24-2006, 11:29 AM
Go to the frontpage of cnnsi.com, it's ALL Ozzie. Well, we can't say the White Sox aren't getting enough publicity this season.

I think there are at least four articles now...this is getting absolutely crazy.

www.cnnsi.com (http://www.cnnsi.com)

And who the heck is Gennaro Filice? Sounds like a cousin of Mike Difelice. Or the CNN World Cup reporter.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/gennaro_filice/06/22/fiveup.fivedown/1.html

kevin57
06-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Yup, the newspapers today quote a Sox management source as saying that Ozzie will indeed attend sensitivity training. Whether they did this on their own to quell the firestorm or whether they sat Guillen down and worked it through with him is hard to say.

Ozzie said something else during last night's news conference that was "mysterious." He alluded to a letter from Paulson (?) of MLB that seemed to criticize the fact the Ozzie's kids were at Sox games. Ozzie said he was told that his kids "should be in school." Because Ozzie speaks with such stream of consciousness, his comments was over and done without much explanation.

buehrle4cy05
06-24-2006, 11:32 AM
I predict ESPN puts Pedro Gomez on the Ozzie beat in a matter of days.:rolleyes:

kevin57
06-24-2006, 11:34 AM
I really think Ozzie should suspend media interviews for a while. Michael Jordan often did this whenever the press even hinted at a slight criticism of any aspect of his life...and once "chastised" the media would beg to be readmitted to the temple of MJ"s majesty.

Also, since Ozzie has been so good at taking the hits for his team when they were falling, it would be nice to see Guillen's coaching staff covering his butt for a while.

Hey, perfect role for Harold Baines!

Unregistered
06-24-2006, 11:35 AM
"I don't think I'll be going, I don't think that'll happen," Guillen told ESPNdeportes.com in an interview at U.S. Cellular Field on Friday. The interview was conducted in Spanish.

"I think the commissioner ordered that in order to calm things down, but, obviously, to attend one of those, I'll have to take English lessons first," he added.

Call me crazy, but it sounds like Ozzie's JOKING... or at worst, messing with the reporters.

This PC watchdog bull**** has gotten out of control. Now everyone's asking "Will Ozzie not go to sensitivity training?!" It was ordered by MLB, of course he'll go. The fact that the Sox had to release a statement saying as much shows how ridiculous this whole thing has gotten.

caulfield12
06-24-2006, 11:37 AM
They have Candy Maldonado, Carlos Baerga and Miguel Batista that do a lot of their work at ESPN Deportes. Obviously, Batista is playing right now.

John Sutcliffe is their regular sideline reporter, but he's in Germany for World Cup play. Also, Alvaro Martin.

One of the SportsCenter anchors actually has the last name Guillen.

oeo
06-24-2006, 11:38 AM
I predict ESPN puts Pedro Gomez on the Ozzie beat in a matter of days.:rolleyes:
When does the Ozzman get his own show? :D:

They would get amazing ratings for that, but he would probably say something he shouldn't, the first show, and that would be that.

jdm2662
06-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Ozzie has dug a hole for himself. The media has done it's share, but Ozzie has done enough on his part. The minute he stops telling reporters anything itneresting or not talk to them at all, it's not going away. The reporters will get bored and try to find the new juicy story. Until that happens, it's not going to change. Remember how some Sox fans would complain about lack of coverage? Well, that changed, didn't it.

Meanwhile, the Sox have won 8 in a row. Too boring for people.

StockdaleForVeep
06-24-2006, 11:41 AM
When asked about the report after the game, the manager responded with a lengthy diatribe in which he said he first needs to take English classes "to understand what they're talking about" and threatened to "start being nasty with the media" if they continued to ask questions about it.

"It's a really uncomfortable situation for me," Guillen said after the White Sox beat Houston 7-4. "I don't need this job. It's hard every day. ... If someone tries to play games, I'm sorry, but you've got the wrong guy."
Guillen got up and walked out of the interview room. A few minutes later, he said through a team spokesman he will undergo the training.

Headline from yahoo sports

Editorial note: The ONE thing I don't buy is Ozzie understanding English...he has had 20 years. I have been in Colombia for less than one year and I go to movies in Spanish and understand 75-80% of the dialogue. Ozzie needs to stop hiding behind that excuse.
Im certain if i lived in europe or any other foreign country, i would not have a mastery of the language of where im living, also i would be prone to use american slang that im familiar with. Its a fact that adults cannot learn a foreign language as well as developing children, yet for some reason they mandate language courses in college which are highly failed...

As for ozzie's comment, im sure he's bein half sarcastic, half truthful
Eh i see the press as positive, i mean, the team is still on a terrific role despite all this, the media is prob pissed cuz theyre expectin the sox to lose cuz of this "controvsersey"

StockdaleForVeep
06-24-2006, 11:42 AM
Ozzie has dug a hole for himself. The media has done it's share, but Ozzie has done enough on his part. The minute he stops telling reporters anything itneresting or not talk to them at all, it's not going away. The reporters will get bored and try to find the new juicy story. Until that happens, it's not going to change. Remember how some Sox fans would complain about lack of coverage? Well, that changed, didn't it.

Im just waitin for the people to start decreeing that Ozzie shouldnt be the manager of the all star game. Hell, some people wanted chicago to lose hosting the ASG cuz of that incident on the field

:KW
"Doug who?"

oeo
06-24-2006, 11:43 AM

I know Ozzie says he wants it to stop, or his angry about something, but I think it's all just a load of bull****. Ozzie likes to take pressure off of his team. And if you've noticed, when they're playing well, he's making news stories. Ozzie isn't dumb, if he wanted it to stop, he would have stopped it already. The more this story goes on, the more they talk about Ozzie, and all of a sudden the Sox are taking the lead for first place.

I think Ozzie out-smarted everyone last year, and he's doing it again this year. Did he mean to say "***"? No, but if he wanted this thing to stop, he is smart enough to know how to stop it.

StockdaleForVeep
06-24-2006, 11:45 AM
I know Ozzie says he wants it to stop, or his angry about something, but I think it's all just a load of bull****. Ozzie likes to take pressure off of his team. And if you've noticed, when they're playing well, he's making news stories. Ozzie isn't dumb, if he wanted it to stop, he would have stopped it already. The more this story goes on, the more they talk about Ozzie, and all of a sudden the Sox are taking the lead for first place.

I think Ozzie out-smarted everyone last year, and he's doing it again this year. Did he mean to say "***"? No, but if he wanted this thing to stop, he is smart enough to know how to stop it.

Speakin of last year, is the only reason this is gettin more press than last year with Ozzie and his friend in New York is cuz of windsock and his "influence?"

caulfield12
06-24-2006, 11:46 AM
I can just see it now....it will be like Martha Burke at the Masters or the protests over Arizona getting the Super Bowl when they were the last state in the union to approve the MLK National Holiday.

StockdaleForVeep
06-24-2006, 11:47 AM
Call me crazy, but it sounds like Ozzie's JOKING... or at worst, messing with the reporters.

This PC watchdog bull**** has gotten out of control. Now everyone's asking "Will Ozzie not go to sensitivity training?!" It was ordered by MLB, of course he'll go. The fact that the Sox had to release a statement saying as much shows how ridiculous this whole thing has gotten.

Heh, maybe ozzie will say the sox will finish with a worse record than the cubs and kansas city, that'd be a hilarious joke

Unregistered
06-24-2006, 11:53 AM
I can just see it now....it will be like Martha Burke at the Masters or the protests over Arizona getting the Super Bowl when they were the last state in the union to approve the MLK National Holiday.Oh please. Right now this seems like the biggest story on the planet, but weeks from now, it won't even be a blip on the radar. As soon as there's something new to talk about (and there's always something new to talk about), Ozzie will stop being Public Enemy #1 with every uninformed idiot who hears the story of "this racist manager for the White Sox that picked on some writer."

At least his gay friends forgive him... (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/arvia/x23-ard1.htm)

caulfield12
06-24-2006, 12:01 PM
You use the gay friends forgive him link...

and now cnnsi.com is posting articles saying how weak that is, comparing it to white people who say they aren't racist by counting off all their black friends

as melissa isaakson said, writers ALWAYS get the last say, until they're fired

Palehose13
06-24-2006, 12:04 PM
Psst...this in was in the article that was linked.

Might help if you guys read the article before you jump to conclusions based on a thread title. :wink:

StockdaleForVeep
06-24-2006, 12:08 PM
http://www.artistdirect.com/Images/artd/amg/music/bio/1074822_dashboard_200x200.jpg
"Ozzie, lets talk about feelings"

SBSoxFan
06-24-2006, 12:14 PM

Or how the color teal has greatly diminished the media's cognitive powers to comprehend a joke.

Should that be in teal? :?:

LongLiveFisk
06-24-2006, 12:16 PM

I think that's the smartest thing any of these guys can do. This way you don't have to worry about being misquoted or being "baited" by the media.

You just have to worry about what they say about you because you DON'T talk to the media. :D:

(But to me, the latter is a better option!)

caulfield12
06-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Up in the front office of the Cleveland Indians, they're going to be in a bad mood today when they read Bill Livingston's column on Brandon Phillips (http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/bill_livingston/index.ssf?/base/sports/1151138398251370.xml&coll=2). Far from the team that was picked by some to win the pennant, things are unraveling in Cleveland.

Now Ozzie Guillen says he won't go to sensitivity training (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep24.html). OK, Bud Selig, telephone David Stern and ask what you should do. Here's a hint: you suspend this guy immediately. He's out of control. Someone needs to get his attention. He'll thank you for it later.

from houstonchronicle.com

TheOldRoman
06-24-2006, 08:39 PM
Speakin of last year, is the only reason this is gettin more press than last year with Ozzie and his friend in New York is cuz of windsock and his "influence?"
No, this is getting so much press because he used an offensive term. If he would have just called Mariotti a "homosexual", it wouldn't have taken off like it did.

StockdaleForVeep
06-24-2006, 08:42 PM
No, this is getting so much press because he used an offensive term. If he would have just called Mariotti a "homosexual", it wouldn't have taken off like it did.

Hm, sports writers coined the term "the big skirt" to mock Thomas and it took off in the wrong direction, and everyone laughed. Unfair the power of media, truly is.

Nellie_Fox
06-25-2006, 02:19 AM
Is that Bill Cullen, legendary game show host?Why, yes it is. And thank you tebman. I cracked myself up with that one.

TDog
06-25-2006, 05:01 AM
Why, yes it is. And thank you tebman. I cracked myself up with that one.

And I'm responsible. It was late after an obscenely long day at work. I took my contact lenses out, misspelled Guillen and pressed the wrong button when going through the spell check. But I'm happy if my screw-up could bring any joy to your life.

I stand by what I wrote about not believing that Ozzie NEEDS sensitivity training, any more than any MLB manager does. When I was a kid watching a Cubs game on television, I saw Leo Durocher make an obscene gesture during an argument with an umpire, and I'm sure he called the umpire worse things than Ozzie Guillen was overheard calling Mariotti. As Jack Brickhouse used to say, "lipreaders please turn away."

It's too bad Jerry Manuel has found another job because he would be a perfect sensitivity trainer. The big problem is that the White Sox are working hard to capture the city from the Cubs (which the Cubs captured from the Sox when Durocher was offensively managing) and they don't want Guillen offending people.

As for Guillen being "out of control," he is far more in control of himself than Mariotti is.

Grzegorz
06-25-2006, 05:46 AM
I stand by what I wrote about not believing that Ozzie NEEDS sensitivity training, any more than any MLB manager does.

As for Guillen being "out of control," he is far more in control of himself than Mariotti is.
I agree that Guillen doesn't need sensitivity training. Bud Selig has bigger fish to fry in how the game cleans up this steroids mess.

That said, Ozzie should take the class (I am sure he will at the behest of Kenny Williams & Jerry Reinsdorf) and be done with it.

This is a baseball team not a vaudeville act. The focus has to be on baseball, not on Ozzie if the team wants to follow up on last years success.

As for Mariotti, don't read him if you don't like him. Eventually if enough people boycott his work the Sun-Times will get the message and fire him.

HerzogVon
06-25-2006, 09:01 AM
I wouldn't want Ozzie Cullen to become sensitive. Jerry Manuel was sensitive. Cullen is probably more sensitive than Eddie Stank, but I don't want sensitive. I want a White Six manager who will kick butt.
Interesting that you should mention Eddie Stanky. Before Ozzie, he was my favorite White Sox manager. Unfortunately, "The Brat" arrived in the shadow of "The Lip". As for those other clowns: Selig is an invertebrate. Mariotti is the sort of life-form you normally take an aerosol can to exterminate.

HerzogVon
06-25-2006, 09:14 AM
Sorry about the glitches. As a newbie, I seem to be having some technical problems. These things tend to happen when you get to be 59 years old. Please bear with me.

CLR01
06-25-2006, 02:17 PM
Sorry about the glitches. As a newbie, I seem to be having some technical problems. These things tend to happen when you get to be 59 years old. Please bear with me.
http://phatalspin.com/vlog/techDiff_032105.jpg

:smile:

southwstchi4life
06-25-2006, 02:26 PM
A story that was proven to be wrong. I do not like how the media has took ozzies words and misrepresented them about saying he would not attend sensitivity training. But if they do this more often, maybe ozzie will stop making himself out there for media members. I am not defending Ozziem on the slur what ozzie said either, this is standing up for ozzie saying he would to to the training (and media saying he wouldnt). The media bugs me alot. I did not like how the media treated Frank Thomas over the years. Although I fully admitt Ozzie and Frank do not help the situation. They buy right into it. But media figures should be called out, just like player are

TDog
06-25-2006, 04:43 PM
A story that was proven to be wrong. ...

Truth and context are irrelevant if they conflict with your beliefs, in this case that would be hatred of the White Sox. When I was a kid in 1968, seemingly the only White Sox fan in Munster, Ind., I was told by a classmate that his father had told him that one of the resons he hated the Sox was that they used to have fences on wheels and moved them in when the Sox came to bat. It is true that Bill Veeck had once joked about such a proposal in a book.

Ozzie Guillen offends people, but so does the White Sox winning.

TDog
06-25-2006, 05:20 PM
Interesting that you should mention Eddie Stanky. Before Ozzie, he was my favorite White Sox manager. Unfortunately, "The Brat" arrived in the shadow of "The Lip". As for those other clowns: Selig is an invertebrate. Mariotti is the sort of life-form you normally take an aerosol can to exterminate.

Durocher managed Stanky (just as he managed Gil Hodges who would beat him out in 1969 when Durocher's time had passed). Durocher also was a teammate of another Sox manager of the era, Don Gutteridge.

For Stanky, managing required energy. On June 22, 1977, he managed the Texas Rangers and resigned after the game. He won, 10-8, at the Metrodome. He said that at age 60, he didn't have the energy to do it anymore. He was a good manager in the 1950s and probably got as much out of the 1967 White Sox as was possible. No one ever accused him of being sensitive.

Before the 1947 season, he was among several Brooklyn Dodgers players who circulated a petition demanding Jackie Robinson not be brought up to the team. I don't know if America is more sensitive today, but at least we pretend to be.