PDA

View Full Version : Chip Carey

getonbckthr
06-23-2006, 06:39 PM
I'm watching the Atlanta-Tampa game and I have to say Chip sounds alot better than when he was with the Cubs. This leads me to ask is he getting better, or when you work for the Cubs you get so used to them sucking that basically you don't really care?

RKMeibalane
06-23-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm watching the Atlanta-Tampa game and I have to say Chip sounds alot better than when he was with the Cubs. This leads me to ask is he getting better, or when you work for the Cubs you get so used to them sucking that basically you don't really care?

To answer your question, yes, I think he has improved. But I also think there's more to it. I've spent a lot of time recently listening/watching other team's broadcasts and hearing their announcing teams, and I have the impression that the level at which they broadcast (in terms of terminology used, etc.) has a lot to do with the knowledge of the fanbase. Carey was probably told to "dumb down" his play-by-play calling because the Cubs have a lot of fans who don't know that much about baseball, whereas the Braves have fans that are more knowledgeable.

getonbckthr
06-23-2006, 06:47 PM
and I have the impression that the level at which they broadcast (in terms of terminology used, etc.) has a lot to do with the knowledge of the fanbase. Carey was probably told to "dumb down" his play-by-play calling because the Cubs have a lot of fans who don't know that much about baseball, whereas the Braves have fans that are more knowledgeable.
Actually you could be right I never really thought about that. It does appear no matter who is announcing unless it was Steve Stone that Cub broadcasts were pretty basic with alot of "pop-culture" discussions. Good ear RKM.

daveeym
06-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Chip was always decent on Fox in comparison to his Cub broadcasts.

oeo
06-24-2006, 10:22 AM
Len Kasper has to be the worst play-by-play guy ever. Hey Len, you suck and you're not funny.

Len and Bren are way worse than Caray and Stone were.

SoxFanPrope
06-24-2006, 10:41 AM
To answer your question, yes, I think he has improved. But I also think there's more to it. I've spent a lot of time recently listening/watching other team's broadcasts and hearing their announcing teams, and I have the impression that the level at which they broadcast (in terms of terminology used, etc.) has a lot to do with the knowledge of the fanbase. Carey was probably told to "dumb down" his play-by-play calling because the Cubs have a lot of fans who don't know that much about baseball, whereas the Braves have fans that are more knowledgeable. 100% agree, but also - how many games does he do with his father? I just wonder how much Skip reigns him in. Chip is the King of Hyperbole, at least he had that crown with the Cubs. Not to sure how he is now.

RKMeibalane
06-24-2006, 10:46 AM
100% agree, but also - how many games does he do with his father? I just wonder how much Skip reigns him in. Chip is the King of Hyperbole, at least he had that crown with the Cubs. Not to sure how he is now.

I'm not sure how often he works with his dad, but he does seem to have toned it down as far as how excited he gets on certain plays, and in terms of the comments he makes about certain players. I can remember him saying that he thought Glendon Rusch was "the best left-hander in baseball" during the '04 season. I haven't heard him say anything like that recently.

SoxFanPrope
06-24-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm not sure how often he works with his dad, but he does seem to have toned it down as far as how excited he gets on certain plays, and in terms of the comments he makes about certain players. I can remember him saying that he thought Glendon Rusch was "the best left-hander in baseball" during the '04 season. I haven't heard him say anything like that recently.
Well to be fair to the Chipster, for an inning and a third, Glendon Rusch DID look like the best left-hander in baseball.