PDA

View Full Version : Should we take a look at Kip Wells

caulfield12
06-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Starter Kip Wells has the talent to help any team, but getting it out of him is another matter. He was extremely disappointing in his first start Tuesday. If he gets on a roll, there will be interest.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Only as the last pitcher in the bullpen (Montero's current spot, or Politte) and only if the Pirates ate most of his contract, which is a little over $4 million this season.

It would be a neat story if he came back to the White Sox and resurrected his career. He definitely has the talent to be successful...it probably will never happen...but he is going to be one of many (besides Roberto Hernandez) of possible interest to contending clubs.

Banix12
06-23-2006, 04:39 PM
Let's see if Politte and Riske can do anything first.

I just don't really see it as feasible. Asking a starting pitcher coming off an arm problem to go the the pen in mid-season seems like a lot to ask. I would much rather go find an actual reliever if we have to fill a hole in the pen.

ewokpelts
06-23-2006, 04:50 PM
no

caulfield12
06-23-2006, 05:27 PM
But Cooper can do anything...he's the modern-day equivalent of Mikey from the Life Cereal ads, ask Mikey, he'll try anything.

Ask Cooper, he can fix any pitcher and even communicate to them in half-broken NY Spanglish.

eriqjaffe
06-23-2006, 05:44 PM
I'm all for taking a look at Kip Wells.

I'll gladly take a look at him getting lit up on Tuesday, Wednesday and/or Thursday of next week.

Other than that, I'll pass.

ondafarm
06-23-2006, 05:59 PM
Other than for batting practice I don't see much use for him right now.

Daver
06-23-2006, 06:32 PM
I have seen enough of Kip Wells pissing down his own pants leg while in a White Sox uniform.

caulfield12
06-23-2006, 07:07 PM
Buy low, sell high....remember the philosophy. Wells fits the profile for KW.

Everyone jumping on Kip, well, could anything honestly be said that would be any different about the following pitchers before they arrived (or even worse, in the case of Yankees fans with Contreras)....

N. Cotts after 2003...

Contreras

Loaiza (I know, everyone thought he was going to get the Cy Young since he was a non-roster invitee with Gil Heredia)

Politte

El Duque

Marte (he had done nothing before he came here)

Jenks

Thornton

I would love to see the threads where any of you predicted these guys would do well with the Sox when the acquisition was made.

Banix12
06-24-2006, 12:06 AM
Buy low, sell high....remember the philosophy. Wells fits the profile for KW.

Everyone jumping on Kip, well, could anything honestly be said that would be any different about the following pitchers before they arrived (or even worse, in the case of Yankees fans with Contreras)....

N. Cotts after 2003...

Contreras

Loaiza (I know, everyone thought he was going to get the Cy Young since he was a non-roster invitee with Gil Heredia)

Politte

El Duque

Marte (he had done nothing before he came here)

Jenks

Thornton

I would love to see the threads where any of you predicted these guys would do well with the Sox when the acquisition was made.

First, cut El Duque and Jenks off the list. Jenks earned his promotion through solid work in the minors, while he was a project he was never a project at the MLB level. There were plenty of people, myself included, who thought El Duque would be a fine addition. His health was questionable but he could pitch. While people were unsure of how good he would be, there was no question he was an upgrade on Jason Grilli.

You can probably chuck the rest of your list as well since the situation at the time was completely different and many of those options like Loaiza were basically no-risk options at the time.

As strictly a project, I have really no problem with Kip Wells. He has talent.

However we are talking about trying to repeat as world series champions. The second half of a season in a pennant chase isn't the time to go around messing with converting career starting pitchers into middle relievers, especially starting pitchers who missed a good chunk of the season because of arm trouble. More than likely Wells will not be able to go back to back days, we have no idea how he would react to the pen and he has yet to show he is 100% yet.

The right side of the bullpen isn't that deep. The sox really don't have the room there to keep a project. If the sox acquire any pitcher we are talking about a solid reliever who can give the team quality innings. That isn't Kip Wells.

Ol' No. 2
06-24-2006, 10:36 AM
Someone please tell me who in the Sox bullpen is not already preferable to Kip Wells??? It's not as if they have Rick White or Mike Jackson anymore.

caulfield12
06-24-2006, 10:54 AM
Nobody could have expected Jenks to succeed to the degree he did if you look at his career trajectory or path in the Angels' system. His was a case of talent finally overcoming self-defeating behavior. But to think he would become an All-Star caliber closer after failing as a starter, well, that's a big jump.

I would still rather have Wells than Montero. Heck, I would send Wells down to Charlotte and convert him to a reliever just to see what would happen, as insurance. Of course, that's only if the Pirates were willing to pay 65-75% of his salary for the remainder of the season. If things worked out, you would have incredible pitching depth. I don't think it would be advisable to do this on the big club, and the pennant race this season hasn't given us MUCH luxury to experiment beyond starting Haeger once. (And I'm sure there is some rule against this...so he would have to accept the conditions of the trade beforehand, and I'm not sure how many options he has...)

If Politte shows signs of progress this weekend, he will be back by Monday anyway. He had a promising beginning, at least.

daveeym
06-24-2006, 11:04 AM
But Cooper can do anything...he's the modern-day equivalent of Mikey from the Life Cereal ads, ask Mikey, he'll try anything.

Ask Cooper, he can fix any pitcher and even communicate to them in half-broken NY Spanglish.See that's wrong. No one can fix anyone. Coops genious is that he picks the guys he CAN fix. If Coop hasn't asked for him I don't want him. I don't want him anyway.

Banix12
06-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Nobody could have expected Jenks to succeed to the degree he did if you look at his career trajectory or path in the Angels' system. His was a case of talent finally overcoming self-defeating behavior. But to think he would become an All-Star caliber closer after failing as a starter, well, that's a big jump.

I would still rather have Wells than Montero. Heck, I would send Wells down to Charlotte and convert him to a reliever just to see what would happen, as insurance. Of course, that's only if the Pirates were willing to pay 65-75% of his salary for the remainder of the season. If things worked out, you would have incredible pitching depth. I don't think it would be advisable to do this on the big club, and the pennant race this season hasn't given us MUCH luxury to experiment beyond starting Haeger once. (And I'm sure there is some rule against this...so he would have to accept the conditions of the trade beforehand, and I'm not sure how many options he has...)

If Politte shows signs of progress this weekend, he will be back by Monday anyway. He had a promising beginning, at least.

A lot of your all star closers are just failed starters. Eric Gagne being the classic example.

I for one don't think he can be even sent down to Charlotte. I can also tell you that there isn't a chance in hell that the pirates would eat his salary.

Drop this whole idea, it just isn't feasible in the least bit.

RKMeibalane
06-24-2006, 07:58 PM
No. National League pitchers don't do well once they move over to the American League.

DaleJRFan
06-24-2006, 09:00 PM
See that's wrong. No one can fix anyone. Coops genius is that he picks the guys he CAN fix. If Coop hasn't asked for him I don't want him. I don't want him anyway.

to go one further, Cooper always insists that he doesn't fix anyone or anything. He tells the guys what they need to hear in order to fix themselves.